• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good for him. He received a system as a business gift, decided he didn't care for it, sold it to someone who really wanted one. I'm not sure why so many people here are being salty over this.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. He received a system as a business gift, decided he didn't care for it, sold it to someone who really wanted one. I'm not sure why so many people here are being salty over this.
Partially because he got one for free when most here probably couldn't get one, then to top it off he sold it

Oct 25, 2017
The only part of this that I'm actually angry about is that someone who uses a PS4 was too fucking dumb to understand the PS5 is also a PS4 but better.

"I didn't like the PS5." What does that even mean?

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Maybe some people are just exhausted by the constant rush to outrage about every dumb decision any human being makes on the internet. Some of us don't read tabloids, don't know who this dude is, and don't give a shit, but are tired of the fact that we can't open any forum or social media site without seeing some random asshole being put on blast for some trivial shit. I am just so tired of watching people cannibalize each other constantly and having that act be perpetually couched in the language of social responsibility. We've lost all sense of moral perspective.
I'd +1 you if I could.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska

Probably because he didn't pay for it and worse he sold it as a profit. Complete douchebag, was he allowed to yeah. I'm also allowed to find this a super dickish move. Influencers is one of the ''new jobs'' that are completely useless. Please tel me how Cyberpunk was good from your Cyberpunk gifted chair and with your Cyberpunk modeled character in the game I am sure they'll be absolutely impartial.

Got my PS5 already but it's a bad looking move considering how so many people struggle to find one in an already super struggling year.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Sold his Sony PlayingStation 5 to go back to playing...a PS4? Did this guy not get the memo about backwards compatibility or is he just a huge fan of Afro Samurai 2?

P.S. Fuck scalpers.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem? I won a phone before and sold it cause I didn't need it. I don't see how this is much different.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't see the problem? I won a phone before and sold it cause I didn't need it. I don't see how this is much different.
Did you brag about selling that phone during a global shortage of said phone while many other people flip said phones for double their MSRP?

A lot of people in this thread need to be introduced to the concept of "context". The reason why they got £1.2K in the first place is entirely due to the aforementioned scarcity of the PS5. Bragging that you got one and sold it is a bad look given that context, regardless of the explanation; they could have sold it to a friend at MSRP or donated it instead of selling it for above MSRP.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes - good for that guy - selling 1 console he was gifted and "didn't like" - not >1 console bought for the specific purpose of profit
Vast difference. But you go forth and be the knight in shining armour for playstation fans everywhere!
Sure my dude, will do
While you keep licking the boots or rich assholes
Have fun

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I won a car in a random competition I entered, or if I won in one of these "win a house" competitions, I'd 100% sell those too for whatever the market would buy them for. Would that make me a scalper?

OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
He's still bragging about it. Someone said it was a shorty thing to boast about on Instagram and he just said "it's called making a buck". Which I'm sure he needs...

So, basically, rich asshole is a rich asshole. God Instagram "personalities" are annoying. Not a shred of talent in his body and can do whatever he likes.
The thing is, if he wants to sell it on, fine. But why brag about it? Bragging about it is a bad look no matter what the background of how he got it. Continuing to brag about it, as if he needs the money when he's driving about in daddy's Ferrari in Chelsea, just makes him look like more and more of a prick. These people seem to have no idea about PR.

Jul 28, 2020
Meh, Sony won't care. Him posting a picture of the console is worth more than the price of the hardware and both parties will know it.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
The most baffling thing is why did Sony give a PS5 to a guy on Made In Chelsea. This dude is a literal nobody. Doesn't even a Wikipedia page lol.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
A bit dim of him.

It would have been smarter to hype it for a couple days and then sell it on the sly.

Unlikely they'll be sending him a free PSVR2 & PS5 Pro now. Others will likely be more wary of sending him freebies as well.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he's content going back to a base PS4 is pretty admirable considering he's rich.

Flipping it for £1.2k profit and bragging about it is not a good look, though he can do what he wants with it.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the problems in the world you're mad that someone sold their PS5 😂

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
He's still bragging about it. Someone said it was a shorty thing to boast about on Instagram and he just said "it's called making a buck". Which I'm sure he needs...

So, basically, rich asshole is a rich asshole. God Instagram "personalities" are annoying. Not a shred of talent in his body and can do whatever he likes.
The thing is, if he wants to sell it on, fine. But why brag about it? Bragging about it is a bad look no matter what the background of how he got it. Continuing to brag about it, as if he needs the money when he's driving about in daddy's Ferrari in Chelsea, just makes him look like more and more of a prick. These people seem to have no idea about PR.
You're putting more thought into this than Sony PR is at the moment I'm sure.

They gave a PS5 to an arsehole. It was a mistake. But it was a £450 mistake.

What's the point in caring about this guy?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Won't this just remove him from the free stuff list? lol

At least hide it dude

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You realise you're giving him exactly what he wants, right?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I think if I actually gave a shit about this situation I would be more upset at Sony for giving PS5s to random celebs. If everyone else did what this instagram dude did maybe it'd end this annoying practice of showering rich people with luxury consumer goods in exchange for shoving the product in their millions of followers' faces.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Arewe even Sure he got one from Sony and didn't take a picture at a friends house?

Celebs that got One gifted got a special case with it, which that Dude apparently does not have.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Sure my dude, will do
While you keep licking the boots or rich assholes
Have fun

Lmao. I'll apologise right now for doing the exact same thing when I won a Galaxy S2 and sold it to someone else who wanted it, because I didn't need it and am pure evil rich asshole who put the money on my tuition fees!

OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. I'll apologise right now for doing the exact same thing when I won a Galaxy S2 and sold it to someone else who wanted it, because I didn't need it and am pure evil rich asshole who put the money on my tuition fees!

Did you then boast about selling it to your 46 thousand followers? Right next to the picture of you driving a Ferrari and just before the one of your million pound penthouse?
In which case, the two scenarios are very different.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
People are free to do whatever they want with the stuff they own, even if it's gifted to them by the manufacturer.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blame Sony for giving away a console to someone who didn't want it in order to get influence.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes there is no greater injustice than *checks notes* someone selling something they got for free.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Maybe some people are just exhausted by the constant rush to outrage about every dumb decision any human being makes on the internet. Some of us don't read tabloids, don't know who this dude is, and don't give a shit, but are tired of the fact that we can't open any forum or social media site without seeing some random asshole being put on blast for some trivial shit. I am just so tired of watching people cannibalize each other constantly and having that act be perpetually couched in the language of social responsibility. We've lost all sense of moral perspective.

I fucking felt this man

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
The better thing to do is for Sony to refrain from giving that many precious consoles to social media influencers and local celebrities in the first place, if the backlash from this story bothers them. It isn't like people in the UK need to be told what a PlayStation is, anyway: are they not near saturation in terms of brand recognition? That box could have been sold to an ordinary person who really wanted it at the retail price. 🤷‍♀️

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's surely because I'm too old for this shit, but giving free consoles to youtubers/influencers does the exact oppostive efect of what they want to achieve to me. Makes me feel like I'm a third hand customer for Sony/MS/Nintendo (which I'm probably are lol).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Did you then boast about selling it to your 46 thousand followers? Right next to the picture of you driving a Ferrari and just before the one of your million pound penthouse?
In which case, the two scenarios are very different.

My original comment already called that out as being a complete dick move, but I still don't see this as "scalping" if I have the story right.
Guy is given a free PS5, tries it, doesn't like it, sells it seemingly for whatever someone else was happy paying - that's not scalping. I'd consider scalping someone who buys things for the specific purpose of taking a low availability thing and then selling them on for a profit - which as I said, is a completely different thing. But because I disagree, I am king of the scalper boot lickers!

IMO, people here are crying over this specific instance, because it relates to PS5 and people want theirs if they don't have it already since as with most hardware right now, they are just less available and selling out due to demand. Scalpers are scum, but as much as this guy is a bit of a dick, he ain't it.

By the other users definition, I am a continuous scalper, per my Galaxy S2 story. And, you could say the same on how I sold my Switch early into the pandemic. I hadn't used it for half a year, sold it amongst other things at 99p starting price on ebay, and it sold for more than I paid originally.
Per the other commenter's logic, I'm a "rich asshole" that is "scalper scum" when I had not intention of making a profit, and just let it sell because I need money of bills

Fuck me, right!

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Everyone on that show is a soulless ghoul - this is no surprise.

Doing stuff like this (selling consoles etc at hugely inflated prices during a shortage) makes you a scumbag, regardless of who you are or your net worth. £1.2k is a drop in the bucket for him.