• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I do appreciate you acknowledging one of the strengths of Nintendo is/was their handhelds and what the Switch as a hybrid means for Nintendo.

Because depending on the topic the hybrid nature of the Switch allows for some incredible goal post moving I have never really witnessed before.
Tbh I think Nintendo have paved the way for what consoles will become in the next decade. Steam deck showed that pc games could even scale to handheld devices

I think the future will be handhelds with ai graphics assists like frame gen and resolution scalers. The portability factor alone shows they move engagement in the ecosystem in a unique way that traditional consoles don't. Making dock-able handhelds is the best of all worlds

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
So then the industry has left behind its innovative phase and is following the movie trend of more heavily relying on blockbuster tentpole avengers movies (is this outdated now? Would avatar be a better analogy?) show signs of health?
Innovative games happen all the time and are successful, but big AAAs selling systems has been nothing new for multiple gens.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I think Nintendo have paved the way for what consoles will become in the next decade. Steam deck showed that pc games could even scale to handheld devices

I think the future will be handhelds with ai graphics assists like frame gen and resolution scalers. The portability factor alone shows they move engagement in the ecosystem in a unique way that traditional consoles don't. Making dock-able handhelds is the best of all worlds
Okay so if console hardware is a saturated/dying market and handhelds (ignoring that Switch blurs the line between the two) are the future where does that leave Xbox?

How can they expect to compete against Switch 2 and Steam Deck ver.2?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Steam Deck has sold less than the Vita which Sony discontinued. It is additive sure.. but it is not the future.

NineBall

May 22, 2022
Unless there is a permanent price drop expect YOY drops from all regions.

Doesn't mean consoles are dying, just that you can't go 3 + years without a price drop(unless your nintendo).

Even worse price has increased in some regions since launch.....

Nintendo does not have a handheld or a console which costs 549 euros in its 3rd year. Nintendo will also struggle with that price.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Democracy in action.

Sony must be very very happy with Helldivers 2. It might end up one of the best selling games all year.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Damn

8iidbi.jpg

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man, 6 years ago I introduced this niche little co-op game that nobody has heard of to my University friends and we all had a blast playing it in the lecture hall.

Fast forward this year now they are the ones asking me if I played Helldivers 2 :D

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I never though that Helldivers 2 would be a hit.
I always considered this game as a filler during the recent State of plays.
Surprise of the year for sure.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
So then the industry has left behind its innovative phase and is following the movie trend of more heavily relying on blockbuster tentpole avengers movies (is this outdated now? Would avatar be a better analogy?) show signs of health?
Popular IPs and games sell consoles. That's not hard to understand. Even Sony stated they expect less console sales because they are not releasing a game from any major existing franchises this FY. I don't see the relation between innovation and tentpole releases. Not everyone will make GTA6 and Avatar and when they do it will lead to market expansion and every one including small and medium player will be benefitted from it. You need more than one year data to say consoles are dying

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The Wizard Game was out by this time last year, right? That really pushed PlayStation sales from what I remember, so it's not surprising that sales are down YoY.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Influencers are on PC. Outside of GTA, the biggest games will be PC releases. Steam MAUs are growing while everything else is stagnant.