• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
FWIW - i think owning significant shares of a company entitles the owner to representation on the Board. Usually I think this is negotiated if/when a sale of shares goes through.

My completely naive expectation would be that Tencent gets 40% of the seats on the Board, but not enough to wield automatic majority votes, or completely fill whatever non-exec remuneration committee Epic has.

Sweeney has publicly stated quite plainly that TenCent has no say in actual decisions.

They have input on the board, but Sweeney himself basically controls the decisions made with his majority stake.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Sweeney has publicly stated quite plainly that TenCent has no say in actual decisions.

They have input on the board, but Sweeney himself basically controls the decisions made with his majority stake.
Which i think is good and i want to give them faith if push comes to shove they will stand up for people as individuals i mean they basically make mountains on their engine they do not need the money from them.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Sweeney goes public on this.
A fortnite player does the thing.
China gets mad, bans epic.
Tencent with ties with chinese government wants no involvement and sells their share on epic.
Tim buys back the shares.

The fact that people actually believe Tim has anything close to ethic with his record is simply baffling to me.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TheUnforgiven - that could totally happen but at a bare minimum would incur several million in fees, for both Tencent and Sweeney, assuming both parties wanted to do the transaction.

Probably much more material would be the tax position of both Tencent and Sweeny's company. Tencent's value of EPIC shares has increased enormously, and I would have thought would incur a huge taxable profit if they had to be sold. I know nothing about chineese tax law but i'd assume that any large increase in realised investment income would be taxable. If they don't sell the shares they don't have to pay the tax (in UK and US rules).

Similarly Sweeney's private arrangements would need to raise the money to buy the shares at their new, much higher value. That's a lot of financing to arrange and you need to find investors willing to buy.

riotous I think you're right, I just wanted to make it clear that the situation is pretty complex. Sweeney may be able to do what he wants but then the other Board members might make it difficult for him to do other things he wants to do.

I did a quick google and Polygon stated that Tencent got to appoint two directors to the Board, with their initial investment. I also found the Tencent report which mentions it for YE2012.

I can't quickly find any details on Epic's board of directors so I can't see how many there are in total, or who sits on which committee. They're not listed so it's all pretty opaque. The joys of giant private corporations!

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
TheUnforgiven - that could totally happen but at a bare minimum would incur several million in fees, for both Tencent and Sweeney, assuming both parties wanted to do the transaction.

Probably much more material would be the tax position of both Tencent and Sweeny's company. Tencent's value of EPIC shares has increased enormously, and I would have thought would incur a huge taxable profit if they had to be sold. I know nothing about chineese tax law but i'd assume that any large increase in realised investment income would be taxable. If they don't sell the shares they don't have to pay the tax (in UK and US rules).

Similarly Sweeney's private arrangements would need to raise the money to buy the shares at their new, much higher value. That's a lot of financing to arrange and you need to find investors willing to buy.

riotous I think you're right, I just wanted to make it clear that the situation is pretty complex. Sweeney may be able to do what he wants but then the other Board members might make it difficult for him to do other things he wants to do.

I did a quick google and Polygon stated that Tencent got to appoint two directors to the Board, with their initial investment. I also found the Tencent report which mentions it for YE2012.

I can't quickly find any details on Epic's board of directors so I can't see how many there are in total, or who sits on which committee. They're not listed so it's all pretty opaque. The joys of giant private corporations!

It will be expensive for sure, but with epic's value rising and no signs of deflation its a smart move. Tencent bought 48% of epic back in 2012, I'm sure with how things turned out with fortnite Tim regrets it a lot and if they continue growing at this pace there might a point where Tim cannot buy that back because its just a lot of money. This is a golden opportunity for him and he siezes it without remorse, like everytime in the past.

I havent seen a single tweet from Tim without purpose, and the fact that people think that Sweeney would go on record against a government purely for ethic reasons makes me roll my eyes so hard its actually painful.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Man the hate for Epic is blinding here. Has Gabe mentioned anything on the topic?

Valve has actively suppressed comments that against China... so...

Does a company strongly tied to chinese goverment own 40% of valve?

Why do you have to make everything a war, why has gabe anything to do with this?

You fanboys are so tiring.

No, but Valve have already been pro China so your 40% comment is moot.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I don't see how that post makes him a fanboy but ok

Why are we talking about Gabe here then? Are we equally talking about every CEO of a company that has anything to do with Esports? Again, tiring.

If anything you are coming off as a fanboy instead lmaoooooooo

Ok mate, its not like i needed anything else than seeing ur username to add you to my ignore list. Have fun.

Make a thread about it then, I'll see you there.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why are we talking about Gabe here then? Are we equally talking about every CEO of a company that has anything to do with Esports? Again, tiring.

Ok mate, its not like i needed anything else than seeing ur username to add you to my ignore list. Have fun.

It is quite easy to understand why we are talking about Gabe here since, if you have missed it, there has been a sort of a shit show where EGS you know buys exclusives and denying Steam, oh and both are players in the digital storefront.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
It is quite easy to understand why we are talking about Gabe here since, if you have missed it, there has been a sort of a shit show where EGS you know buys exclusives and denying Steam, oh and both are players in the digital storefront.

What does that have anything to do with the subject at hand? Again, this is platform warring because exclusives or whatever. Nothing to do with china politicals or free speech.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you have to make everything a war, why has gabe anything to do with this?

I dont think he is the one coming across as a fanboy here lol.

Valve has just as much at stake here as Epic does. More probably. Their two biggest revenue generating games (CSGO/DOTA) have a HUGE audience in China. And a massive competitive scene (with a ton of teams/players from China) where something like the Blizzard thing is MORE likely to happen than at any Epic event.

I mean hell, the next DOTA Major is in China isnt it? IIRC anyway.

Valve statement would be more needed here since they are the ones that are most likely to face this situation. Epic almost certainly wont.

It is not unreasonable to want their response.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

The person who's company is partially owned by a Chinese company is very publically condemning what Blizzard did and saying it will not happen on their platform... And it being shit on exactly why if not for Fanboy reasons?

For the record I do not have a single game free or otherwise from EGS. Mostly because my PC is too weak for it

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I dont think he is the one coming across as a fanboy here lol.

Valve has just as much at stake here as Epic does. More probably. Their two biggest revenue generating games (CSGO/DOTA) have a HUGE audience in China. And a massive competitive scene (with a ton of teams/players from China) where something like the Blizzard thing is MORE likely to happen than at any Epic event.

I mean hell, the next DOTA Major is in China isnt it? IIRC anyway.

Valve statement would be more needed here since they are the ones that are most likely to face this situation. Epic almost certainly wont.

It is not unreasonable to want their response.

Next Dota International is in Sweden.

Edit: NM you said Major. Yeah, it is in China. It's not organized directly by Valve though so they'll probably just leave all of that to the tournament organizer and escape any criticism one way or another. It would have been more interesting if this had happened before the International in Shanghai.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
The person who's company is partially owned by a Chinese company is very publically condemning what Blizzard did and saying it will not happen on their platform... And it being shit on exactly why if not for Fanboy reasons?

Because of the stake and repercussions of those declarations and the impact that they could have on how the shares of its company are handled.

Again, if you want to discuss the non-involvement valve has had in this issue then make a thread instead of fueling platform wars bringing valve into this conversation as a reply to what Tim has said.

Then I can't help you.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Because of the stake and repercussions of those declarations and the impact that they could have on how the shares of its company are handled.

Again, if you want to discuss the non-involvement valve has had in this issue then make a thread instead of fueling platform wars bringing valve into this conversation as a reply to what Tim has said.

Then I can't help you.

True, you need to help yourself first before you can help others.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Such a "bitch eating crackers" thread.

For the record I do not have a single game free or otherwise from EGS. Mostly because my PC is too weak for it

You should still check the free games. There have been quite a few with very low hardware requirements, specially the 2D indie stuff. Or just get them all, they do not expire and when you upgrade in the future, you will have this game library to use.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Thats the right thing to say right now from someone big like Epic. Cant believe what im reading here in this thread.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

I do not care about Steam, I brought Valve in to highlight the hypocrisy. I promise you if Gabe made the same declaration the tone of the discussion thread would be the exact opposite of what is here. The discussion should be on the issue that is happening in Hong Kong and what Blizzard did and not the bias that is held.

Tim made a very public declaration that as you mentioned could have bad repercussions and his company, he took a stand which should at least be respected whether or not you care about the platform or his personal life. Other CEO's remain silent which is the fiscally responsible thing to do, but definately not the moral one.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to see if someone supports HK at a big Fortnite tournament or something. Tencent owns a lot more of Epic than it does ActivisionBlizzard.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
We'll have to see if someone supports HK at a big Fortnite tournament or something. Tencent owns a lot more of Epic than it does ActivisionBlizzard.

The difference is that Tim is majority owner, and no one else, so Tencent can't go around him in any way.

I do not care about Steam, I brought Valve in to highlight the hypocrisy. I promise you if Gabe made the same declaration the tone of the discussion thread would be the exact opposite of what is here. The discussion should be on the issue that is happening in Hong Kong and what Blizzard did and not and bias that is held.

Tim made a very public declaration that as you mentioned could have bad repercussions and his company, he took a stand which should at least be respected whether or not you care about the platform or his personal life. Other CEO's remain silent which is the fiscally responsible thing to do, but definately not the moral one.

This is a good post, and agree 110% that if Gabe would have said this he would be louded as the best CEO... while here people jump straight to conclusion and downplaying what he is saying, bloody sad.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Well, if shit goes down and they actually do sever ties with tencent and eat the loss, my respect for them will be at an all time high.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
As someone whose main issue with the EGS being its disruption of regional storefronts in favor of only supporting international storefronts that cater mostly to the NA/EU crowd like EGS/GMG/Humble, I cringe at people pre-hating on Epic for this. Until we see something otherwise it's good to see any company standing up for the rights of their partners and players. People should applaud Epic for taking this stance, not mock them. Hating on Epic for this could, at worst, discourage other companies with a lot of detractors (like EA) from making a similar statement.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good post, and agree 110% that if Gabe would have said this he would be louded as the best CEO... while here people jump straight to conclusion and downplaying what he is saying, bloody sad.

Im trying to recall times where Gabe took to Twitter spewing nonsense the way Tim does?

The difference is Gabe has credibility, while Tim does not.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I do not care about Steam, I brought Valve in to highlight the hypocrisy. I promise you if Gabe made the same declaration the tone of the discussion thread would be the exact opposite of what is here. The discussion should be on the issue that is happening in Hong Kong and what Blizzard did and not the bias that is held.

100% true and I agree with your comments, I think valves persistent attitude of silence in every subject is horseshit.

That said bringing valve here in response to Tim's tweets is just fuel for platform wars all things considered. If somebody wants to speak about valve's stance the healthy thing to do is open a thread about it and not bring as response to people who believe that Tim doesn't have good intentions with his tweets.

It's not because I think that Tim is not clean that I believe valve is doing the right thing, and mixing things up brings us to boring repetitive conversation that wont stop escalating and lose focus from the issue at hand.

As someone whose main issue with the EGS being its disruption of regional storefronts in favor of only supporting international storefronts that cater mostly to the NA/EU crowd like EGS/GMG/Humble, I cringe at people pre-hating on Epic for this. Until we see something otherwise it's good to see any company standing up for the rights of their partners and players. People should applaud Epic for taking this stance, not mock them. Hating on Epic for this could, at worst, discourage other companies with a lot of detractors (like EA) from making a similar statement.

You cannot expect people to take Tim's comments like he hasn't said other things in the past.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

Also China doesn't seem to own that much of Activision Blizzard right? I want to see if EA, Ubisoft (some group in China invested a lot in Ubi after the Viacom thing right or am I remembering wrong?), and Valve's stance. Seems Valve is not going to go the Epic route though.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Also China doesn't seem to own that much of Activision Blizzard right? I want to see if EA, Ubisoft (some group in China invested a lot in Ubi after the Viacom thing right or am I remembering wrong?), and Valve's stance. Seems Valve is not going to go the Epic route though.

What I found:

"Tencent took part in Activision Blizzard splitting from Vivendi as a passive investor in 2013 and now owns less than 4.9% of the shares as of 2017"

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
They say that now. Just wait till they actually have to face the decision to lose money over that stance.
Knowing Epic, I can't imagine they are willing to lose any cent.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Not banning players doesn't mean they won't take some sort of action to protect their financial interests, which is probably the most you can expect out of any company.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

Despite my super low opinion of how most eSports organizers run things, I'd actually be honestly shocked if Valve, ESL, Faceit, Dreamhack, or even an organizer with deep ties in China like Starseries went as far as Blizzard did with this. At least in the realms of Counter-Strike the player would probably just find themselves persona non grata at any event in China.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
While 100% true, untill Tim actually go against his tweets, he is way ahead of Gabe in this regard.

I'm hoping to see Tim put to the test.

Talk is easy. Even Blizzard had "Everyone has a Voice" on the statue in front of their offices, but we saw what happened when push came to shove.

If Tim gets tested and sticks by his word, he'll earn points with me.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They say that now. Just wait till they actually have to face the decision to lose money over that stance.
Knowing Epic, I can't imagine they are willing to lose any cent.
They are big/rich enough that they don't have to worry. It's a case where the Chinese investors will be the ones to look the other way about FN players shit-talking China or praising HK because they're so thirsty for that never-ending Fortnite money. Also, pre-empting any controversy is super smart because they set a standard out loud, get the good will of the players/industry on their side, and in doing so avoid the wrath of boycotts, memes, and horrible press.

Not sure why everyone has to doubt Epic won't do the right thing, it's in the best interest of business even if you discount the moral reasons.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
You cannot expect people to take Tim's comments like he hasn't said other things in the past.

This is sure to be tested in the future. If he crumbles on this it'll basically be the end of public support for Epic in any way. Shouldn't someone who hates him so much be happy about this instead of so salty? It's a win-win for you. If he stands up for peoples' political speech it should be a win for everyone, and if he crumbles and even the most ardent Epic supporter turns against him it's a win for you.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
This is sure to be tested in the future. If he crumbles on this it'll basically be the end of public support for Epic in any way. Shouldn't someone who hates him so much be happy about this instead of so salty? It's a win-win for you. If he stands up for peoples' free speech it should be a win for everyone, and if he crumbles and even the most ardent Epic supporter turns against him it's a win for you.

I dont hate Tim. I just cant believe people forget his track record. I think its bullshit bringing valve as a reponse to people doubting Tim.

If he turns out legit I'll celebrate it as much as the next guy. I also do not think anything bad about epic, dislike the exclusive strategy but its a free market, love the free game deals.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to end up saving this thread as a permanent reminder of how even a relatively good discussion forum like resetera can turn to garbage full of factually inaccurate posts and misplaced hatred as soon as tribalism enters the picture.

If you're one of the many negative responders in this thread I'd like to genuinely ask what you think epic could have said when asked about this situation that would be better than what they really said.
Yeah, it's wild

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
He won't have any problem replacing tencent if they want to sell. it's non issue.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to see Tim put to the test.

Talk is easy. Even Blizzard had "Everyone has a Voice" on the statue in front of their offices, but we saw what happened when push came to shove.

If Tim gets tested and sticks by his word, he'll earn points with me.

This is such utter nonsense. Talk is not easy. Which is why you dont see EA/Ubisoft/Valve/Sony and MS jumping in to tell you they would do the same.

But when it comes to a storefront that paid for exclusives, apparently completely different standards apply.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is such utter nonsense. Talk is not easy. Which is why you dont see EA/Ubisoft/Valve/Sony and MS jumping in to tell you they would do the same.

But when it comes to a storefront that paid for exclusives, apparently completely different standards apply.

Tim was questioned directly was he not?

Was everyone else questioned? I'm guessing not since they're not partially owned by China.

But pull the Steam vs Epic card. Good defense.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Tim was questioned directly was he not?

Was everyone else questioned? I'm guessing not since they're not partially owned by China.

But pull the Steam vs Epic card. Good defense.

He was asked by a random nobody... he could have just ignored it and no one would bat an eye.

If I had twitter I would send a tweet to the CEO of EA if he has it, and expect nothing (or anyone else within the same category as Tim).

Hell, that user have this as pinned tweet:

"I want everyone in the gaming industry to look at this. Any time a random whore comes out on Social Media to say she was assaulted or raped. DO NOT BELIEVE HER!! The person accused by Zoe killed himself...for a statement with no proof. This is the power women have over men "

And ALOT of NSFW stuff...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking sad that people see even this as a chance to push some anti-epic conspiracy bullshit. Just like the other thread.

Dude is THE controlling member of the company, he's putting it out VERY plainly, people immediately asked him about the 40% stake right after he said it, he said he doesn't give a fuck. What else is there to say? Either he's lying and it'll be tested, AT WHICH POINT HE SHOULD RIGHTLY BE CRUCIFIED ON THE INTERNET, or he's now dug himself into that position even if he regrets it later.

Everyone saying "B-b-b-but Blizz is owned way less by Tencent and look at them" should really be saying "Oh wait, Blizz is owned even less? why are they fucking giving in to this shit"

Tencent could do whatever they want with that 40%, but what they can't do is actually overrule Tim on any of this. He's said it, now it's on us to hold him accountable. It's way better than every other company just ignoring the situation.