• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Ms. Marvel campaign and her character overall.
The main campaign and the mini-campaigns released with Kate Bishop, Hawkeye, and Black Panther were all pretty good (Hawkeye's was cool since you get to go to a post-apocalypse future level).

Sadly none of the updates did what I wanted and gave the game a substantial amount of new or remixed content.
I kept hoping for something like Diablo 3 Seasons, where you're given new objectives across the same levels. They tried that a bit where some missions have modifiers like enemies regenerate health, or you need to collect orbs constantly to keep a timer from expiring, but it just wasn't enough.

Instead one of the biggest updates they did made it take LONGER to level up the characters. What a horrible idea that was.

I put over 200 hours in the game after it first came out mostly because I enjoyed the gameplay and I wanted to get every character to level 130 (which was the cap without getting getting all legendary items), and my favorite characters to the cap (150 I think, if you get legendary items and max them out).
But doing that meant repeating the same missions over and over and over again. I don't even want to know how many Hive and Vaults I had to do just for the CHANCE of getting a piece of legendary gear (which weren't guaranteed, and even if you did get one, it might be one for a slot you already had one I, or it might not even have great stats/abilities).

Only thing I didn't do in the game was the Black Panther Raid, and that's only because nobody played the game on PC, so anytime I did matchmaking I never found anyone.
I also never played the most recent characters (Jane Foster Thor and Winter Soldier), since I think the game is over 100gbs and I wasn't about to reinstall it just for more characters to level up.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bought it launch day and to be honest? The in-game UI was the biggest failure for me. Like, every time I picked it back up I'd try to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing - what missions were already done, what was part of the story, what was what, and it was always so obtuse and confusing I'd just give up.

They wanted it to be the Marvel take on Destiny. And on paper that sounds great. But I just couldn't ever understand what was supposed to be happening.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
gotta stop chasing the live services trend and just make some games worth playing

As someone who loves a lot of live service games, this. Can't wait for this trend to die. And it will. Part of the point of live service games is it keeps you engaged and playing the game which means you have limited time for other games. There's only so much room in the market for big, AAA live service games. And we already have a lot succeeding like Fortnite, Apex, or Destiny. The quicker companies realize that the better, your game is way more likely to fail and not get the sustainable playerbase needed than become the next Fortnite. Just make a good game and you'll do better even if you don't get the recurring monetization of live service. Look how much money Elden Ring, God of War, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, etc have made just by being good games with good legs and word of mouth.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Small amounts of fun in it from what I played but would have been infinitely better not being a live service game. Everything in the game felt so thin like they were like "well we can't have all the cool villains or heroes in here at launch because we need something for season 17 of content".

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm glad the "game is dead" vs "the game is not dead because they just implemented a new hallway four months ago" debates are finally over.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Unfortunate, it would've been nice to see if some of those characters be fully realized.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They had all the time in the world to do something better than beat up generic robots and then glitch through the floor.

Apr 5, 2022
Man, that's sucks! I felt this was coming especially when that guy on stream while he was with one of the developers accidentally "leaking" She-Hulk happened, man XD;

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I put the single player campaign on easy and enjoyed going through that story. The actual combat and other systems were never good or interesting enough to be worth bumping the difficulty or explore the post-game options.

Jun 20, 2021
They took the most diverse worlds, characters, heroes and villains and turned out a game where everyone played the same way and all the villains were SO fucking bland.

The biggest waste of potential in video game history.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
This another game that promised 10 years of support? Yeah I'm never believing any developer saying that ever again. Not like I did before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they did, it would just be to a litany of "why are they still releasing content for a dead game?"

It's frankly miraculous that they've supported it as long as they have

My thought process here is: why ever pay money for another live service game if devs can just cut and run without providing what was on their roadmap? Games like this are proof that the live service model does not work. We shouldn't be buying games based on future potential that the developers may never actually realize, yet we are CONTINUOUSLY asked to do just that by publishers.

pikachuizgod

Apr 19, 2019
Tomb Raider is full steam ahead, Perfect Dark I've heard has hit a roadbump or two. You'll see the former before the latter.
one quick question about this

when you mentioned an overhaul of the marketplace cosmetics do you have an idea of what that entails i.e. making them earnable, allowing use offline (I feel like thats a guarantee), etc or do you not know?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good, hopefully that team can move onto working on something that's not a waste of time now

tjh282

May 29, 2019
This was the one game where the "GAAS" design philosophy just really killed it. If you can't design the content people actually want quickly enough (Iconic Avengers level villains), it makes no sense to go that route.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
My thought process here is: why ever pay money for another live service game if devs can just cut and run without providing what was on their roadmap? Games like this are proof that the live service model does not work. We shouldn't be buying games based on future potential that the developers may never actually realize, yet we are CONTINUOUSLY asked to do just that by publishers.
You are not buying a game based on future potential, you are buying based on the content available at the current state or at launch. Do you discount every live service game that works?

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Was really hoping She-hulk could've snuck out before it all shut down. Gonna be a real bummer when the servers go down and I can't play as Kate Bishop anymore.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What a giant waste of potential. Aside from a reasonably enjoyable story mode, this entire live service approach was a complete misfire.

They were really relying on microtransactions to hold this thing up.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Damn. :( I know most here hate this game, but I enjoyed it Quite a bit, and I'm sad to see it go without getting Captain Marvel or She-Hulk. Thankfully, a lot of the game is playable offline.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You are not buying a game based on future potential, you are buying based on the content available at the current state or at launch. Do you discount every live service game that works?

Almost every single live service game I've ever played botched the hell out of its launch, and only a select few of them managed to limp to a place of stability.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So is Bucky the last official character then? I though they had plans for Falcon or maybe She Hulk that were pretty much done or something.

Shame all around.
I fell in love with the game during the beta and me and a friend got it at launch to play. We had a blast but the gameplay loop became increasingly frustrating and it was sad to continue to see the state of affairs as they would constantly be bug fixing, releasing half baked expansions and clone characters over and over without any real significant QoL updates.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Almost every single live service game I've ever played botched the hell out of its launch, and only a select few of them managed to limp to a place of stability.
And from my perspective, most of the live service games I have played have at least delivered on content and update promises within reason. Our anecdotal experiences are not representative of how many GAAS have succeeded and failed though, and a game like the Avengers or say Anthem have had way more foundational issues than being a GAAS.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
TF2 for years, dota 2, cs go, lol, plenty of mmos

there have been many that dont flop on release, and those are just the ones i know of off the top of my head. i guess just be more selective? or only join when it's good? or like they said earlier only go in when you like where it's at, not a theoretical future.

Last edited:

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Dammit. Really enjoy this game, was hoping they'd squeeze out the last few pieces of content that have been seemingly in the oven.

Not interested in TR or in PD, but I hope they're successful.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
It'd be great if they patched in an option to make every mission a solo mission. Having 3 other characters around almost all the time really brings the game down.