• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

[READ CHOICES] Will TLK make more than $1.3 billion?

• Yes AND I am officially betting against Marston for it.

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • Yeah, but I got no stake in this.

Votes: 86 25.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 163 48.9%
  • Detective Pikachu will make more money ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Votes: 62 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to extend the voting up until Sunday afternoon.
MMarston you damn fool. I need my glorious Oscar Isaac in threads.
oscarisaac9-1716.gif

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The largest theater release in history (4725) this has to be north of $190m this weekend.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I've always expected this to do around $1.7b, with the slightly mixed reviews it might go lower by it should do around $1.4-1.5b. It doesn't really matter how good it is, it's always going to end up the highest grossing Disney remake.

OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might turn out to be a moron for being baited into lowering this bet huh

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say anything definitively but reception seems kind of cold among general audiences. Will do a lot because it's the Lion King, not sure if it will outgross Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Really? Everyone I know says it looks great but it's soulless and isn't paced nearly as well.
I'm talking about general audience reception. I know it's previews, but there were pretty wide reports of people applauding and cheering loudly for it, which is pretty unusual for a Disney remake.

It's also got a 90 percent on RT certified fan reviews

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about general audience reception. I know it's previews, but there were pretty wide reports of people applauding and cheering loudly for it, which is pretty unusual for a Disney remake.

It's also got a 90 percent on RT certified fan reviews

This. I've seen the movie 3 days ago.
I'm the last person to parrot the "reviewers are out of touch" rhetoric or anything like that, but i do believe that reviewers and the more 'critical' moviegoers certainly judge the movie by a higher bar - namely "Does this improve upon the original?" "Does it do anything better?" and therefore "Did it need to be remade?"
The answer is quite clearly "No"

But on the other hand, it's also a perfectly enjoyable film, with familiar songs, constant tickling one's nostalgia bone, and a lot of cute animal mannerisms. It's comfort food. And that's okay.
Of course, that doesn't really resonate with critics. And that's okay, too.

But the movie's gonna make bank. It's still the fucking Lion King, after all.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sitting in the lobby of my local theater and judging by the crowd I might have been wrong about this not making a ton of money

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Just saw it, it's easily the most faithful Disney adaptation, almost shot for shot remake. It's not as good but it's still The Lion king, the best Disney movie of all time. People cheered and clapped. It's a great time, I think it has something for everyone. Tons and tons of people my age, more so than kids.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It doesnt have to sell that much, as long as the merchandise are good enough of sales. It is not a secret that this kind of franchise actually focuses more on toys and merchandises' sales rather than the movie

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I changed my bet from the 1st option to the 2nd option because i didn't agree with the terms (basically, the OP saying he can change my avatar, but I have no real say in his avatar). Otherwise yes I thought this was going to make bank. Before the reviews, I was expecting $2b, but now that everyone is more ho hum about it, I still think it does $1.5b, at worst $1.3b.