• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. I suppose hoping for escalation to stop was too much to ask for.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
it was likely only a matter of time before this escalated again. people thought this was over after the Iranian rocket attacks turned out to be nothing. doesn't work that way, the proxy war will probably get much uglier over the coming months

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
If this was done by Iran or Iranian proxies they are playing with fire. If US service members or citizens actually die in one of these attacks things are likely going to really escalate.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If this was done by Iran or Iranian proxies they are playing with fire. If US service members or citizens actually die in one of these attacks things are likely going to really escalate.
Iranian proxies have been shooting missiles at the embassy for the last 3 weeks and there hasn't been much reaction from the US

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't american soldiers got hurt during Iran's attack on a base too and nothing happened? I think WaPo had an article about that, don't remember seeing a thread here. They even sent some to Germany I think for treatment.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I think I'm about to check out from the internet today. Get some crappy chinese food, smoke some weed, and get constructively angry at the royal rumble.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal

Effnine

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't american soldiers got hurt during Iran's attack on a base too and nothing happened? I think WaPo had an article about that, don't remember seeing a thread here. They even sent some to Germany I think for treatment.

Yes:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon disclosed on Friday that 34 U.S. service members suffered traumatic brain injuries in Iran's missile strike this month on an Iraqi air base, and although half have returned to work, the casualty total belies President Donald Trump's initial claim that no Americans were harmed. He later characterized the injuries as "not very serious."

Eight of the injured arrived in the United States on Friday from Germany, where they and nine others had been flown days after the Jan. 8 missile strike on Iraq's Ain al-Asad air base. The nine still in Germany are receiving treatment and evaluation at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, the largest U.S. military hospital outside the continental United States.

Jonathan Hoffman, the chief Pentagon spokesman, said the eight in the U.S. will be treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, or at their home bases. The exact nature of their injuries and their service and unit affiliations were not disclosed.

Trump's response
After the Pentagon reported on Jan. 17 that 11 service members had been evacuated from Iraq with concussion-like symptoms, Trump said, "I heard they had headaches and a couple of other things ... and I can report it is not very serious." He said he did not consider the injuries to be as severe as those suffered by troops who were hit by roadside bombs in Iraq.

Not just a headache:
Traumatic brain injury, or TBI, has become a bigger concern for the military in recent years as medical science improves its understanding of its causes and effects on brain function. It can involve varying degrees of impairment of thinking, memory, vision, hearing and other functions. The severity and duration of the injury can vary widely.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Maybe, but they already crossed Trump's "red line" and he not only did nothing, he lied to cover himself. He promised a disproportionate response if they struck any US person, then 34 soldiers got TBI's, and he lied about the number injured then claimed it was "headaches".

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They tried to get the US to leave by asking them, then they tried protests, I think the Trump administration is playing with fire here more than anyone by insisting on keeping US troops there.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
How is there no injuries? Are we getting lies again?
It's too early to say. It's very possible there could be no injuries/deaths, these are not smart weapons, and there could have been warnings, or just by luck. Or there could be injuries/deaths and the full extent isn't known yet. Or injuries/deaths but they're lying because that's almost always their first reaction.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
They tried to get the US to leave by asking them, then they tried protests, I think the Trump administration is playing with fire here more than anyone by insisting on keeping US troops there.

Please, they have been firing rockets for a year.

The Iraqi Parliament vote requesting u.s forces be withdrawn had large portions of the representatives refusing to vote, the government is still a caretaker government awaiting new elections that's a fucking caretaker government in the first place cause it fired on protestors for months. Portraying these rocket attacks as just retribution for the U.S staying ignores everything else about Iraq. Though I will readily admit we should stay and Trump's reasons for staying are gross and evil.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please, they have been firing rockets for a year.

The Iraqi Parliament vote requesting u.s forces be withdrawn had large portions of the representatives refusing to vote, the government is still a caretaker government awaiting new elections that's a fucking caretaker government in the first place cause it fired on protestors for months. Portraying these rocket attacks as just retribution for the U.S staying ignores everything else about Iraq. Though I will readily admit we should stay and Trump's reasons for staying are gross and evil.
So you think the US forces should remain in Iraq forever?
I disagree. I think US forces should get the fuck out of there ASAP, enough, the Iraq war was a catastrophe and we still haven't properly ended it.
They're not even fighting ISIS or anything, they're just there because Pompeo want to pick a fight with Iran.

But if you support the mission, I don't think you can't pretend that the violence that will surely be the result of it is through no fault of the Trump administration.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I know it's fucked up to say but cable news is covering Kobe, not this. And that might save us all.
Iran had to strike back to save face and America is too busy to notice. Maybe I'm naive but I hope this all stops now.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's fucked up to say but cable news is covering Kobe, not this. And that might save us all.
Iran had to strike back to save face and America is too busy to notice. Maybe I'm naive but I hope this all stops now.
I would be shocked if it were Iran rather than one of their proxies. Surely there would be retaliation against Iran if there was a thought that it was their forces that fired these rockets.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This happens often in the ME tho, no?
Iranian proxies lobbing a few rockets at the US Embassy or a base housing US troops? Yes, but usually they're all misses. Last time they got a hit and killed 1 US contractor and injured 2 soldiers Trump responded by bombing Iranian proxy targets in Iraq and Syria, to which those proxies responded by storming the US Embassy. Then Trump escalated beyond anyone's worst nightmare by having Soleimani killed to which Iran reacted by launching missiles at a base housing US troops.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't concussions categorized as TBI, and headaches a common symptom associated with concussions? I read that when reading about an NBA player's lawyer stating he suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, and it was quickly clarified that he had a concussion.

Not to downplay too much, but when I first hear TBI, I think severe damage.

Yeah they were traumatic brain injuries. Either Trump was being ignorant, or lying, or just cares so little about our troops that TBI's aren't a big deal to him. Or all 3.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't concussions categorized as TBI, and headaches a common symptom associated with concussions? I read that when reading about an NBA player's lawyer stating he suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident, and it was quickly clarified that he had a concussion.

Not to downplay too much, but when I first hear TBI, I think severe damage.
Yeah, blast induced neurotrauma is pretty similar to concussion, but of course, concussion is no joke.
It should probably be noted that it is one of the most common injuries in the military and you can get that from firing mortars.

Historically, the US military did not report this as injuries, at least not when discussing a battle (I am unsure if later diagnosis was rolled into casualties stats).

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Iranian proxies lobbing a few rockets at the US Embassy or a base housing US troops? Yes, but usually they're all misses. Last time they got a hit and killed 1 US contractor and injured 2 soldiers Trump responded by bombing Iranian proxy targets in Iraq and Syria, to which those proxies responded by storming the US Embassy. Then Trump escalated beyond anyone's worst nightmare by having Soleimani killed to which Iran reacted by launching missiles at a base housing US troops.

They are misses cause they are inaccurate.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Iran has its tentacles all over the middle east.

I'm surprised at all the support they get in the west.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Iran has its tentacles all over the middle east.

I'm surprised at all the support they get in the west.
As opposed to Saudi Arabia's tentacles? Or our own?

Not that I think the West should support Iran but I do feel we should at least recognize which octopuses starting gripping these countries with their tentacles first and acknowledge that, yeah, perhaps some of them would fight back and struggle.

Right now we treat Iran like we allow the police to treat people in the US, "lay down, shut up, hands behind your head, stop resisting, all this shit will stop as soon as you comply with all our demands. Maybe. If you're lucky."

With my statements I don't want it to be taken as support of Iran's government or actions, merely to state that I think they're an equal player in the region who's fears and concerns along with their own goals and desires should carry the same weight as their adversaries. In effect, for their to be any honest attempt at peace with Iran they would need to believe that the United States and the world would not always place Iran's needs and desires below that of its adversaries and they would have to trust that if they withdrew from regions they control back to their homeland that that void would not be filled immediately by its' adversaries.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
As opposed to Saudi Arabia's tentacles? Or our own?

Not that I think the West should support Iran but I do feel we should at least recognize which octopuses starting gripping these countries with their tentacles first and acknowledge that, yeah, perhaps some of them would fight back and struggle.

Right now we treat Iran like we allow the police to treat people in the US, "lay down, shut up, hands behind your head, stop resisting, all this shit will stop as soon as you comply with all our demands. Maybe. If you're lucky."

With my statements I don't want it to be taken as support of Iran's government or actions, merely to state that I think they're an equal player in the region who's fears and concerns along with their own goals and desires should carry the same weight as their adversaries. In effect, for their to be any honest attempt at peace with Iran they would need to believe that the United States and the world would not always place Iran's needs and desires below that of its adversaries and they would have to trust that if they withdrew from regions they control back to their homeland that that void would not be filled immediately by its' adversaries.

I don't recall Saudi Arabia having various loyal armed terrorist militias in foreign countries serving as proxy armies.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall Saudi Arabia having various loyal armed terrorist militias in foreign countries serving as proxy armies.
They just use their own military like in Bahrain or Yemen. Further they had been funding extremist groups in the area for decades, though they don't have as direct control over them as Iran does their proxies.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
They just use their own military like in Bahrain or Yemen. Further they had been funding extremist groups in the area for decades, though they don't have as direct control over them as Iran does their proxies.

What Saudi is doing in Yemen is a humanitarian catastrophe, but their presence there (and in Bahrain) is at the request of the internationally recognized local government. In Yemen they are fighting against an armed terrorist militia that is trying to overthrow the recognized yemeni goverment. (albeit severly fucking over the innocent civilians in the way)
These aren't preppy rebels trying to do good, they are almost cartoonlike terrorists. Their flag literally says "Death to America. Death to Israel. Damnation upon the Jews."

As for funding military groups, as far as I know there were a few they supported in Syria after the rebellion began, but these were also supported by the US. ISIS, alqaeda, and most terrorist groups not only consider Saudi Arabia an enemy but have carried out attacks against them.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please just stop with all this bullshit. Like fuck why does all this have to happen, so fucking dumb.

hopefully nobody was hurt.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately I'd imagine this type of attack only increases in volume. At the end of the day, the Iraqi government has asked the US to leave, and the US army is refusing to do so. It's most likely going to get uglier going forward, especially when the Iraqi public is increasingly outraged or angered at continuing US presence.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
What Saudi is doing in Yemen is a humanitarian catastrophe, but their presence there (and in Bahrain) is at the request of the internationally recognized local government. In Yemen they are fighting against an armed terrorist militia that is trying to overthrow the recognized yemeni goverment. (albeit severly fucking over the innocent civilians in the way)
These aren't preppy rebels trying to do good, they are almost cartoonlike terrorists. Their flag literally says "Death to America. Death to Israel. Damnation upon the Jews."

As for funding military groups, as far as I know there were a few they supported in Syria after the rebellion began, but these were also supported by the US. ISIS, alqaeda, and most terrorist groups not only consider Saudi Arabia an enemy but have carried out attacks against them.
I don't think anyone has said these are preppy rebels, that's absurd. Bahrain may have had some preppy protesters during the Arab Spring but by the time you're scraping the barrel to find people willing to murder people and blow shit up you're generally going to get crazy people.

I like the fact though that Bahrain is the legitimate government, always great to see a majority group lorded over by a minority group.

The politics of the region are the same as we treat our foreign policy, Saudi Arabia wants it's neighbours to be pro-Saudi, ever since our fallout with Iran and the creation of Israel so have we, so miraculously you'll find Shia majority countries being ruled by Sunnis. I know neither of us were around for any of this BS partitioning and neither of us had a hand in deciding who would rule these countries but it's difficult to imagine that the countries where Shia Muslims are living under Sunni rule would have persisted without the support of Saudi Arabia and the reverse is also be true for Iran. Saudi Arabia not only intervened in Bahrain and Yemen but also wanted to intervene in Qatar in what was more likely an areligious and purely political gambit before being forced to settle for their blockade.

At no point am I trying to paint Iran as the good guys, nor Hezbollah or any other proxy group of theirs, I'm just saying that their desire to increase their influence after their revolution is the logical reflex to combat the baked in influence Saudi Arabia has had since after WW2.

I guess you could say Saudi Arabia had more influence over their neighbors first, they're the status quo therefore it's right and proper but just by siding with them when they bring some majority Shia country back under their control makes us complicit. The mere act of enforcing the status quo is in fact a new decision that is made each time, it's not like the sin was made once and therefore can be repeated forever guilt free.

I don't have any answer for the region. Pan-Arabism sounds nice on paper and Saddam even did some ok things between all the killing but the party was shit. The only thing I'm saying is I find us and Saudi Arabia equally as bad as Iran all trying to bend other countries to our wills or keep those already under our influence there. There's no good guys on either side.