• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yellen, denied second term as Fed chair, announces resignation

Federal Reserve chief Janet Yellen said Monday she will leave the central bank once her term as chair ends in February, wrapping up a pivotal tenure in which the Fed began to reverse its extraordinary, decadelong support for the economy.

Yellen's departure from the Fed long before her term as a governor ends in 2024 gives President Donald Trump another big opportunity to shape the world's most important central bank.

Yellen's departure will mean the loss of decades of institutional knowledge. She has been part of the central bank's leadership since 1994, with a break from 1997 to 1999, when she served as chair of the Council of Economic Advisers under former President Bill Clinton.

Does not fill me with hope for the future of the Fed's independence.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I won't deny that it's a stupid cartoon, but I think it's just brown hands because they're donkeys. It's consistent with his previous depictions of Democrats, at least.
Agree on donkeys 100% as an innocent inclusion, but it's still... not the best look. Imagine if someone were to crop it poorly. Like, say, this, below! And then, say, post it on a particular popular subreddit where thousands of people would enjoy an opportunity to express honest opinions about the cartoon's meaning! Disclaimer: I'm not actually going to do that, but he's how easily that can be turned into something unimaginably racist.

Dqpt8zs.png

Edit: You know what? The cartoon doesn't even make any sense. It'd be republican hands grabbing at the wallet of an average american and passing it off to corporations. I have no idea what the donkey hands are supposed to represent, which is where we return to a deceptive cropping and it looking racist as hell.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... donkeys don't have hands. It's possible for it to be both "consistent" and a dog whistle.

Regardless, I still don't understand how the Democrats, completely shut out of the tax bill process, are gunning for the fat white guys wallet.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Regardless, I still don't understand how the Democrats, completely shut out of the tax bill process, are gunning for the fat white guys wallet.
I'm offended by the 100% incorrect partisan message of this cartoon far more than I am the artist maybe catching some flack for the imagery. Being even accidentally racist is no excuse for complete ignorance (on major legislation). This would be like, say in 2010 they drew a panel where John Boehner was heading up a death panel.

Oct 26, 2017
With a new sexual harassment story breaking every 6 hours, I just ask for two sacred cows. Please just make sure Obama and Robert Mueller stay clean. I need Obama to stay clean, so I can still believe in hope and the respectable politician. And I need Mueller to stay clean so I can still believe great justice can be delivered. If either of those guys ends up being dirty then maybe Nostradamus was right and the world actually did end in 2012 and we've been in a decaying timeline ever since.

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, that net neutrality thread's got me pretty fucking depressed. Between that and tax "reform," it seems to me that ever since the Virginia elections, the GOP knows their days in power are numbered, so they're going to use this remaining time to rape and pillage as much as they can possibly get away with, consequences be damned. It's terrifying.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I hate that the net neutrality thing is being framed as if protests can stop it. I'm glad people are vocally upset about it, but the reason it's happening this time is that trump won the election, and the fate of net neutrality was 100% sealed when that happens.

I feel like it's setting up blame to be on apathy of FCC protesters, not on Trump and the people that didn't vote for Hillary.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that the net neutrality thing is being framed as if protests can stop it. I'm glad people are vocally upset about it, but the reason it's happening this time is that trump won the election, and the fate of net neutrality was 100% sealed when that happens.

I feel like it's setting up blame to be on apathy, not on Trump and the people that didn't vote for hillary.
Agreed. People need to realize that elections have consequences and staying home is literally the worst thing you can do.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

I feel like it's setting up blame to be on apathy, not on Trump and the people that didn't vote for hillary.

Feels more like a bipartisan effort to screw over the American people.

Wheeler wasn't exactly all that great either.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How in any way is this bipartisan?

Efforts to crush net neutrality have happened under both Democrats and Republicans.

Before Trump came along the government was serving corporations, cracking down on freedoms and waging pointless wars. Trump hasn't exactly changed that but also didn't cause it. It is very unlikely that a Clinton presidency would have changed the net neutrality debate.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey, a guy who i knew voted for trump just asked around for people to help campaign for saving net neutrality

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Efforts to crush net neutrality have happened under both Democrats and Republicans.

Before Trump came along the government was serving corporations, cracking down on freedoms and waging pointless wars. Trump hasn't exactly changed that but also didn't cause it. It is very unlikely that a Clinton presidency would have changed the net neutrality debate.

I get Democrats are pretty corporatist too and they had to be protested to change their minds on net neutrality, but they're also technocratic and so will listen to arguments, and they know the anti-corporatists are a huge part of their voting block, so there's a fear they have that Republicans absolutely don't.

Republicans have always been entirely 100% corporatist. That's the defining trait of the party. They're even right now trying to pass a bill that raises taxes on the middle class to fund tax cuts on the richest of the rich, for the expressly stated purpose of making their donors happy. I can't fathom how people can't see the difference between the extreme hopelessness of the republican party and the flawed but still occasionally ok democratic party.

That said, for SOPA, there was and still are a few hugely pro-isp democrats that will probably never be flipped, but there was some certain republican legislators too that could be flipped. This time it can only be saved by Trump, and Trump doesn't give a shit about how unpopular his policies are.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, Tom Wheeler was making some steps forward even before the protests. He was just not willing to go all the way and reclassify ISPs to subject them to a ton of new regulations as needed for net neutrality. People were most afraid that his net neutrality rules he passed pre-protests that originally got rejected by the courts was a signal for ISPs to go crazy. That court decision could only be worked around by reclassification, which was the thing that Wheeler didn't care for until the protests.

Ajit Pai wants to destroy everything. There's nothing pro-consumer Ajit Pai wants to do. I can't imagine how people expect to change his mind from a place like that.

Last edited:

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
US PoliERA 2017 |OT2| That's not the ceiling we expected to shatter, but we'll take it

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
With a new sexual harassment story breaking every 6 hours, I just ask for two sacred cows. Please just make sure Obama and Robert Mueller stay clean. I need Obama to stay clean, so I can still believe in hope and the respectable politician. And I need Mueller to stay clean so I can still believe great justice can be delivered. If either of those guys ends up being dirty then maybe Nostradamus was right and the world actually did end in 2012 and we've been in a decaying timeline ever since.

I'm not going to be surprised if both men get accusations lobbed at them for the reasons you mentioned. If you're going to weaponize assault as a powerful tool to take down your enemies, why not go after Mueller and Obama?

Heck, I suspect we will see them try to do the same to any 2020 nominee (which is why Biden cannot run; he may never have done anything but the implications will be there)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The one silver lining to net neutrality dying is knowing how betrayed all these internet trolls are going to feel when they have to pay extra for their hobby or watch their internet get throttled.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The one silver lining to net neutrality dying is knowing how betrayed all these internet trolls are going to feel when they have to pay extra for their hobby or watch their internet get throttled.
ISP's will charge Netflix, Amazon (Twitch), Google, whoever, money to not slow them down and those companies will pass the expenses to the customer.

Changing the entire structure of how the Internet is monetized isn't going to happen in 3 years. You're not going to have some kind of "pay per website" scheme.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but think all of this widespread sexual harassment stuff is taking the heat off Moore even if he's worse than most others. He's just another sexual harassment soundbite in the middle of all the other crap.

RIP net neutrality, can't wait for Netflix to increase by $10 per month while being forced to watch 240p video at peak times

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
A silly summation of a story that a few might be following on the side.

Did Rand Paul really get beat up over lawn clippings?
Boucher, according to neighbors, was a stickler when it came to his property. He paid professionals to tend to his yard, but, his neighbor, Paul did his own landscaping. And it may not have been up to Boucher's standards. "He had his yard sitting at a beautiful two-and-a-half, three inches thick, where Rand cuts it to the nub," Bill Goodwin, a Bowling Green resident who knows both men, told GQ.
Paul, hobbyist mower that he is, also may not have been the most attentive at the post-yard work cleanup. Boucher fretted over Paul's grass clippings that ended up in his yard, confronting the senator and complaining to the neighborhood association. "I've asked him and I've asked him and I've asked him," Goodwin remembers Boucher complaining about the senator's lawn etiquette. "How long can you sit there taking someone plucking a hair out of your nose?"

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this can pass without Democrats (who would probably demand something in return for their vote).

There's enough crazy conservatives who believe the entire concept of national debt is abhorrent to stop this
So it's good policy, it makes their base mad, and we might get a concession of some sort out of it. That all sounds great — what's the catch?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

This has to be coming from leadership, which means it won't have the votes from the HFC to pass the House without democrats . . . unless this is not legislation and simply another "norm" they want to establish in the Congress where they don't have to pass legislation explicitly raising the debt ceiling (which would be a functional difference of nothing because even if it's just auto-included in spending bills they have to say how much they're raising it by).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Feels more like a bipartisan effort to screw over the American people.

Wheeler wasn't exactly all that great either.
He ended up supporting net neutrality! It's incredible you can even try a both sides argument where the difference between Wheeler and Pai on this issue could not be more stark. It's literally the difference between for and against.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He ended up supporting net neutrality! It's incredible you can even try a both sides argument where the difference between Wheeler and Pai on this issue could not be more stark. It's literally the difference between for and against.
Both sides Blader, both sides.

Actually this demonstrates my frustration with the primary season last year and progressives in general. I would rather have someone who's open to persuasion on your side of the issue than tar and feather them for "flip-flopping" or accuse them as being just as bad as the hard opposition. Sure, it'd be nice if they supported/opposed whatever it is all along, but once they come around to that position it makes no difference functionally whether they always held that position or just recently.

To say these accusations of flip-flopping were applied quite selectively during the primary would be a massive understatement as well.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but think all of this widespread sexual harassment stuff is taking the heat off Moore even if he's worse than most others. He's just another sexual harassment soundbite in the middle of all the other crap.

RIP net neutrality, can't wait for Netflix to increase by $10 per month while being forced to watch 240p video at peak times

Do you ever just stop? Taking the heat off of Moore? Really? Smh. The sky is always falling apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.