Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
So, just got up and looking at the results... there's something very wrong with polling in Florida two elections running now, right?

Looks like we barely got the House. The rest of the governorships we took is good but not much of a wave is it?

Dems flipped 30 seats, which is what prognosticators had them at. The Senate is the real massacre :/

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
What do people think of Espy's chances in the run-off? Tester's up to a 90% win probability on NYT, so Espy is the next "worry".
Low I think. Hyde-Smith is just bog standard generic Republican as far as I can tell. She got the highest vote percentage despite having a Republican sapping votes from her. It was McDaniel who was beatable in a run-off.
Like if Doug Jones had faced Luther Strange, he'd have lost decisively.

Oct 25, 2017
What do people think of Espy's chances in the run-off? Tester's up to a 90% win probability on NYT, so Espy is the next "worry".

slighty better now that it's not a race that control of the senate doesn't hinge on it (turnout may be relaxed on the R side)but still doubtful. it's Mississippi and there's a not a child molester running.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like its temporary and it'll snap back to the GOP in 2020.

There is literally nothing to support this thought.

Regardless, whomever the democrats pick for president, it absolutely better be somebody who appeals to MI/WI/PA. Without them, Trump loses. I still say Biden, who is beloved in the Midwest, is probably the best choice for that, although I think Harris can still get the job done.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm feeling the same way as I did after the 2016 results. Riddle me, how the fuck could Republican senators win in a possibly +9 Dem wave? I am so worried about the next SC now it's unbearable.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
There's actually more long-term hope in Texas and Georgia than Florida. Not so much in the near term, but Dems need to kick things up a gear in those states now or they're going to lose out when the iron heats up.

Florida is still a hot retirement spot so it will only continue to get older, whiter, crazier, and more racist.
Texas and Georgia have been trying to draw in skilled labor, and much like how Virginia saw, that brings in liberals.
It's not going to be easy or pretty though. This isn't a battle won purely by demographics. NC also was going blue, then the NC GOP decided they didn't like democracy after all. And I mean, well. . . look at what Georgia just did.
Thing is, they wouldn't be pulling such stunts if they didn't know they were losing.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woke up to the news that Scott Walker is out. Hell yeah! I was hoping we would be rid of Rick Scott too but... fucking Florida.

Oct 25, 2017
looking at the AZ senate tally, it's wild to me that instant runoff voting (ie preferential voting) isn't a western standard -- it seems like a no brainer.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Florida is so frustrating because it actually was a very close end tally... it has to be considered a swing state still, especially with Amendment 4 passing.

I said it beforehand, but I think Dems really need to run a Hispanic/Cuban candidate to win statewide and motivate South Florida.
it's wild to me that instant runoff voting (ie preferential voting) isn't a western standard -- it seems like a no brainer
Maine has it for statewide races! I think there is at least one other state that has it too.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean it's 50/50.

Depressing but not time to pack it in.

Yup. It feels worse for Florida Dems because they couldn't be part of the nationwide wins in state legislatures, governors' mansions and the Senate. But we know how it is already down here with who is in power.

Dems flipped 30 seats, which is what prognosticators had them at. The Senate is the real massacre :/

They lost a net of around 3 seats, I think? That's not a massacre. 2014 was a massacre.

This was a bad map for Democrats all the way; I think if Hillary were president, the losses would have been deeper simply due to the opposing party winning more in the midterms.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we barely got the House. The rest of the governorships we took is good but not much of a wave is it?

We didn't 'barely' win the house. We flipped a ton of seats (consistent with a wave) in a very gerrymandered map.

I swear people love to bitch about gerrymandering, except if it gets in the way of gnashing teeth about Democrats

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling the same way as I did after the 2016 results. Riddle me, how the fuck could Republican senators win in a possibly +9 Dem wave? I am so worried about the next SC now it's unbearable.

Ruby red map this year. Wait till we have something neutral. Losing Senate Seats was not ideal but I think we can recover. Just hope nobody else dies or retires from the SC...

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's fair to say that a black man being on the ballot for governor in Florida lost the entire state this time around, and that is soul-crushing in 2018 America. How does the color of a person drive people to the polls to vote against them in 2018 America? I feel like this country is irreparably broken.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
they didn't "Barely get the house", there are more than several toss ups seats and a few other surprise one that haven't been called yet due to slow counting. and there's no way in the world that a nine point advantage in the popular vote, a good amount of governor pickups and good results in state houses don't count as a wave

it's just not a tsunami
I don't think I really paid attention to a midterm like this before. I guess the big 2006 flip was also fairly slow to cement?

Red governor mansions are now at half not 2/3 and dems flipped 30 house seats...are you high?

No, but I did just wake up. I'm glad that at the state level it sounds like we really flipped the script.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad that we are taking back the House and finally there will be a check on Trump.

It just blows my mind how close the senate races were and of course the GOP squeaked out a win basically every time. It's just not fair. I wasn't expecting us to win it back but we seriously underperformed and it is very hard to process that and the future implications for 2020 as well.

Also I think it's wrong to call PA a swing state, 16 was a fluke. Wolf and Casey absolutely curb stomped the GOP. Trump isn't winning here again.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I guess the big 2006 flip was also fairly slow to cement?
It was more like a flash in the pan; the Dems pissed away their majorities in a mere four years and to this day have little idea what they screwed up.

Don't get me wrong, gridlock will be a wonderful change from driving full speed into a cliff face, for however long it lasts.

Oct 31, 2017
Florida is so frustrating because it actually was a very close end tally... it has to be considered a swing state still, especially with Amendment 4 passing.

I said it beforehand, but I think Dems really need to run a Hispanic/Cuban candidate to win statewide and motivate South Florida.

Maine has it for statewide races! I think there is at least one other state that has it too.

That's what I noticed: Gillum was over-performing Hillary in a lot of places, but not in Miami-Dade. There is a huge Latino population here, but a significant percentage of that is also older Cubans, so the Latino vote is more split in Florida. Gillum ran a good campaign (which makes it sting more since DeSantis basically ran a Fox News campaign in the primaries), but it wasn't enough this time around.

There's a lot to be happy about nation-wide, and hey, Florida's two competitive House races went Democratic, and some good amendments passed on offshore drilling and restoring people's rights after serving their time.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still not panicking over the 2020 Senate chances. A good candidate and a few lucky breaks can overcome almost anything--outside of Beto (who did great for being in Texas), I just don't think the democrat candidates were that great in states that are becoming more polarized.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came for the doom, stayed for the gloom. A good, but not great night, a few nice surprises like WI and KS. Have to make sure the dems stay on this trajectory and not pack it in again.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
It was more like a flash in the pan; the Dems pissed away their majorities in a mere four years and to this day have little idea what they screwed up.

Don't get me wrong, gridlock will be a wonderful change from driving full speed into a cliff face, for however long it lasts.
No, I meant the results coming in.

Having the House is fucking huge, just for oversight alone, let alone gridlock.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm looking too far in the future, but for the Senate...

2020 we have chances in ME, NC, IA, CO, and AZ (outside chance at MT). Then will have to defend NH and AL.
2022 we have chances in WI, PA, FL, OH, and NC. Then will have to defend NH and NV.

Need to gain +4 or +5 out of those. Hard to say what the political environment will be by those times or if we will even exist, but I think those are the baseline.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
One other thing for 2020:

Nearly 100 women were elected last night. If you don't think a woman should be on the presidential ballot in 2020, you're out of your mind.

Also, in case anyone wants an example of just how racist rural white America is:

This is a huge problem going forward, and their children are being raised to believe the exact same things.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
the Dems pissed away their majorities in a mere four years and to this day have little idea what they screwed up.
Yeah, they pissed away those majorities by saving the economy from a depression and extending healthcare to millions of people. Just played Congressional Candyland for four years. It couldn't be they lost their majorities because racist white America went apoplectic at a black president. Uh uh.

Anyway, Republicans have their leadership elections on the 15th. Watching them pick a minority leader will be high comedy.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ruby red map this year. Wait till we have something neutral. Losing Senate Seats was not ideal but I think we can recover. Just hope nobody else dies or retires from the SC...
These seats were on borrowed time after coasting through 2006 and 2012, the latter with Obama's help
We should have at least won Florida because it's not Ruby red. Sinema losing by a handful of votes is gut wrenching. Donnelly, McCaskill and Heitkamp losing is disappointing but not completely shocking. Everything that could have gone wrong for Senate, did.

Now we have to fucking deal with Rick Scott in US Congress and his 2024 presidential run. Should have ended his career tonight.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm looking too far in the future, but for the Senate...

2020 we have chances in ME, NC, IA, CO, and AZ (outside chance at MT). Then will have to defend NH and AL.
2022 we have chances in WI, PA, FL, OH, and NC. Then will have to defend NH and NV.

Need to gain +4 or +5 out of those. Hard to say what the political environment will be by those times or if we will even exist, but I think those are the baseline.
50/50 seems like best case scenario for 2020 and that SUCKS. If we could've only won one more seat last night... AL is going to complicate things too

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From now on, I vote for the sole purpose of doing harm to conservative voters. That's what they do to us, Florida is proof of that.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
That's what I noticed: Gillum was over-performing Hillary in a lot of places, but not in Miami-Dade. There is a huge Latino population here, but a significant percentage of that is also older Cubans, so the Latino vote is more split in Florida. Gillum ran a good campaign (which makes it sting more since DeSantis basically ran a Fox News campaign in the primaries), but it wasn't enough this time around.

There's a lot to be happy about nation-wide, and hey, Florida's two competitive House races went Democratic, and some good amendments passed on offshore drilling and restoring people's rights after serving their time.

The offshore drilling amendment passed?! God I'm glad

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
We should have at least won Florida because it's not Ruby red. Sinema losing by a handful of votes is gut wrenching. Donnelly, McCaskill and Heitkamp losing is disappointing but not completely shocking. Everything that could have gone wrong for Senate, did.

Now we have to fucking deal with Rick Scott in US Congress and his 2024 presidential run. Should have ended his career tonight.

Rick Scott is Scott Walker 2.0. He'll fold in the national spotlight.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
What a deeply dumb post this is!

You're acting like all this stuff is easy, and was built in a day, over in Enlighted Yurope. Dems have had 8 (Eight!) years of trifecta control (that means "controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency;" I'll make sure to translate these terms, since you seem to be fairly new to American politics and it's certainly easy to get confused, as evidenced by the post you did, though that does not constitute and attack on you, fellow Resetera forum member) since 1964. That whole time, Republicans have been working to undermine what little we actually have, and they have far fewer scruples about it than your "far right" parties. We got our first shot at healthcare since Medicare in the 90s, and guess what? It blew up in our faces! Nothing got passed and the Republicans took back Congress. Then we did it again in 2008, in the middle of a titanic recession, and that got sabotaged by the courts, which were stacked with justices nominated by Republican presidents who lost the popular vote. We also lost the House over it.

The Republicans are the problem. At this point, every item on that list barring maybe obesity is directly laid at the feet of them either holding power or holding power enough to obstruct for the last 54 years. Your problem is that you're standing back and thinking to yourself "ah, well, this is how it works in Yurope, this must be how it works everywhere," but it's just not.

Calling people dumb says a lot about who you are. And Yurope? Lol

I hope one day you realize how wrong you are, but by the tone of the post I think you already know but are too angry and frustrated too acknowledge it.

Don't bother with a reply, I don't like rudeness

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Nearly 100 women were elected last night. If you don't think a woman should be on the presidential ballot in 2020, you're out of your mind.

Also, in case anyone wants an example of just how racist rural white America is:

This is a huge problem going forward, and their children are being raised to believe the exact same things.

Fuck it man, bring on the civil war. Nazis gotta go.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017

A lot can change in two years. Hell, two years ago one of the most qualified candidates ever was defeated by a racist idiot. Don't underestimate the likelihood of stupid, bigoted voters doing stupid, bigoted things.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Looking up 538s forecasts, Gillum and Nelson were both 7 in 9 chances of winning. Mentally, I really relaxed and thought Gillum was in. DeSantis being so bad at running really solidified for me. For a state that doesn't affect to me, I'm really kind of devastated at the outcome.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

It stings because I just moved to Miami from out-of-state in time to register and vote. I did a day of canvassing in Coral Gables and it was amazing how many Hispanic GOP supporters I ran into. I honestly was a little surprised Curbelo and Salazar both lost due to how many of their signs I saw up all over the place.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck beating simply Susan in 2020. She will have two years now of being a moderate darling because her vote isn't important anymore.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking up 538s forecasts, Gillum and Nelson were both 7 in 9 chances of winning. Mentally, I really relaxed and thought Gillum was in. DeSantis being so bad at running really solidified for me. For a state that doesn't affect to me, I'm really kind of devastated at the outcome.

Those two loses sting. It definitely put a damper on the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.