Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Nelson running slightly ahead of Gillum means he could have won if Gillum was not running :( all the talk of Gillum dragging Nelson to the finish line were bad takes. It was the reverse.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Re: 2020.

Please don't underestimate how the economy influences elections. The economy is amazing right now and Dems still had a wave. In 2020, it might be a completely different story.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Votes for the Democratic candidate for Governor of Georgia:

R. Barnes - 2002: 937,062
M. Taylor - 2006: 811,049
R. Barnes - 2010: 1,107,011
J. Carter - 2014: 1,138,476

S. Abrams - 2018: 1,896,084 (and counting)

Oct 25, 2017
he can't even act like he's going to call for bipartisanship.

He better be paying attention to what happened in the midwest. It snapped back hard.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even look at the FL exits. Nelson went 50-50 with Scott among Latino men in CNN's. If that's anywhere near accurate then it's amazing he came as close as he did.

And that's another thing. The major polling difference in the polls with Scott winning or Nelson winning was how well Scott did with Hispanics. Looks like the polls with him doing amazingly well were right.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Waking up to see we got NV softens the senate blow. I really feel bad for Floridians, but the national picture is pretty good. Again, Trump will double down on anti immigrant shit given these results and that sucks for me but overall, offer me these results two years ago and I take them without hesitation.

Just because I've been presuming the house would happen doesn't mean it isn't huge. Countrywide Trump has slipped. A republican friend in Texas (socially quite liberal) said this:

"if Dems taking the house and seeing Ted Cruz win by less than 3% isn't a wave I don't know what is."

That's the view in Texas. Florida... Sorry gang but I'm not counting on you in 2020, and your Supreme Court and house districts are probably fucked for the foreseeable.

But MA chose to protect our trans brothers and sisters, so this corner of the US feels better today than it did two days ago. That's a win worth celebrating, and don't think a loss there wouldn't have spurred on similar fights all over the US, cause it would have.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Going by those tweets, Trump must have been so 'happy' this morning until he watched TV and realized what last night actually meant for him.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Senate sucks, but look at the margins. We're not far off outside of IN/MO/ND (which all seem to be single-digits). A couple point swing gets us wins in FL/TX/AZ.

Happy with the House.

Ultimately we have to figure out how to 1) get more of our people out to vote and 2) break Trump fever for a few percent of people in these rural areas to where they stay home or flip back to the Ds.

Oct 25, 2017
But they don't want to work on the problem! If you elect corporate democrats with PAC money, do you think they will take money out of politics? That's crazy thinking!

What votes?
What kind of democrats controlling all branches, and for what?

What issues are they/will they be focusing on??

Here I'm gonna enumarate a series of issues that are already solved in the rest of the industrialized world, speaking from an european perspective:

- free healthcare for all
- non-existent gun violence
- college education is practically free (specially compared to the US),
- the military industrial complex is hardly an issue
- we don't have an opioid epidemic
- the obesity problem is very minor
- we don't have millions and millions of homeless people dying on the streets
- we don't have a privatized (and overloaded) prison system+weed is not scheduled 1 drug
- etc, etc

How the hell you haven't fixed any of those issues whe you had control of the House and the Senate? And you guys think next time is the charm? You think corporate dems will ever change it?

You need to focus on the issues not on the Party Vs Party minigame they have you so invested in
There aren't millions of homeless dying on the streets, and frankly the obesity crisis is a crisis everywhere, even in Europe. Other posters have pointed out that the Dems never had the majorities needed for long enough. So maybe don't talk nonsense about things you clearly demonstrate little knowledge of.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I wonder if this will be a bucket of cold water in the face of more moderate republicans who will shake their head cartoon style and drift away from Trumpism

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I think Utah went unmentioned all night, but it looks like Mia Love is losing her race. That'll be zero black females in the GOP House.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Successful night overall -- VA made me proud.

Had to check out of this thread at 9 PM cause yall were too much. Jesus the doom and gloom.

Glad to see Walker get the boot. Hopefully the Russian shill in Cali gets the same. Too bad about Sinema, but 46 seats aint bad.

Again, good night overall.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Senate sucks, but look at the margins. We're not far off outside of IN/MO/ND (which all seem to be single-digits). A couple point swing gets us wins in FL/TX/AZ.

Happy with the House.

Ultimately we have to figure out how to 1) get more of our people out to vote and 2) break Trump fever for a few percent of people in these rural areas to where they stay home or flip back to the Ds.
TX is not in play in 2020. Beto was running against Cruz

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Self-reminder:

My home state of PA snapped back hard. Trump isn't winning here again. As for the other two, I have to think that's ominous for Trump as well. So from that perspective, also very heartening for 2020.

Yep. He's not getting our state in 2020. There's no way. PA to Trump is kinda like what Indiana was to Obama in 08. A fluke.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am fully prepared for MAXIMUM shenanigans in the lame duck GOP House session.
Not really worried too much about anything like that. They literally can't do much of anything unless McConnell also decides to suddenly blow up the legislative filibuster in the Senate to give them a bit more flexibility. But since he had all the time in the world to do that if he truly wanted to and still hasn't done so, I'd say is heavily, heavily unlikely turn of events and there's not much the House can do without that.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of hot take is this. How can you say a state where the margins are 1-1.5% for statewide races is not a battleground. It absolutely is.
Statewide races in Florida always break for Rs and it's an expensive state.

It's a battleground state but I'm not sure it's worth pouring tens of millions into

Oct 25, 2017
Wars aren't one best on one battle. We lost in 2016. BAD. But if someone came back in time and told us. "Hey guys in 2 years you'll take the House, Flip some governors seats, see PA, WI and MI snap back. But you'll lose more seats in the Senate."

I'd gladly take that. We all would have. This is just another step. Another battle in a long war. We gotta stay engaged.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder what Gwen Graham vs. Adam Putnam would've looked like now. I don't think Putnam would've been able to inspire the same passion and stoke the same turnout among the racist swamp Nazis.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Two red senators and an openly racist red governor. Florida has been fucking shit since 2000. It's not gonna change.
Yeah. It's the quality of the candidates that make it hard not to write off FL. A really good Dem candidate lost to a guy only notable for being racist.

Plus, three liberal to conservative state Supreme Court flips and Republicans in charge come redistricting don't fill me with hope. Yeah 1.5 million reenfranchised felons could be good. But if you don't think that a lot of work will bullshit will be done to minimize that you've not been paying attention.

Florida listen to Trump. I do not fancy our chances there in 2020 or 2022.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I resent being called a bed wetter! The regulars disappeared last night and the place was overrun with people who have lived through one election.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Statewide races in Florida always break for Rs and it's an expensive state.

It's a battleground state but I'm not sure it's worth pouring tens of millions into

It's so tight and so many electoral votes that you can't concede it. The math gets extremely difficult for Trump to win in 2020 if it flips back blue.

All our eggs shouldn't be in that basket, but we can win it in 2020.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Florida is so annoying. The consistently slim margins in midterm and presidential years mean it's technically a battleground state still, and the fact that up to 1.5 million people are poised to have their voting rights restored narrows that gap even further (though fully expect some fuckery from DeSantis and the courts on that). At the same time, you look at the Republican governor, two republican senators and a soon to Ben conservative state Supreme Court — with zero statewide Dems. That just doesn't look or feel like a battleground. As slim as the margins are, FL voters are not making split decisions here.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Wars aren't one best on one battle. We lost in 2016. BAD. But if someone came back in time and told us. "Hey guys in 2 years you'll take the House, Flip some governors seats, see PA, WI and MI snap back. But you'll lose more seats in the Senate."

I'd gladly take that. We all would have. This is just another step. Another battle in a long war. We gotta stay engaged.
I think it's just that there's always a shitty silver lining. Like how close the senate races were. Or how FL is always front and center being trash even when there's a lot of good news. Honestly we just needed one more senate seat for 2020 to go more smoothly. And the long term implications are pretty devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.