Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I take the opposite opinion. Roberts knows that the decision will be against gerrymandering, but wants to put up as many guardrails as possible so that Kennedy et al don't smack the GOP too hard.

I'm imagining more ACA-type, split the baby crap

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I take the opposite opinion. Roberts knows that the decision will be against gerrymandering, but wants to put up as many guardrails as possible so that Kennedy et al don't smack the GOP too hard.

This is probably the case. He had a bunch of objections during the trial, but seemed like he knew what the outcome would be. He was afraid every 10 years the Supreme Court would hear 50 gerrymandering cases from every state. He may want to note his opinion on that.

Roberts wrote the ACA ruling opinion

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today was the day my instincts told me was gonna be a giant oppo day, so if nothing happens by 8pm PST then I'm gonna have a harsh word with my instincts and senses.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sherrod Brown seems well-liked here in Ohio. I don't see him losing.

Although if he does lose, that makes the path to the White House for him that much easier.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know everybody made jokes about Trump weighting 239 pounds. But is it possible that Trump offered him the position to make him sound significantly less obese?

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the case. He had a bunch of objections during the trial, but seemed like he knew what the outcome would be. He was afraid every 10 years the Supreme Court would hear 50 gerrymandering cases from every state. He may want to note his opinion on that.

Roberts wrote the ACA ruling opinion

I'm envisioning that the plaintiffs win on the merits, states are told to come up with a process to ensure compact, contiguous districts, but it won't be implemented until 2020, when the GOP will have many opportunities to move the baseline further rightward, then force plaintiffs to sue again, buying the GOP a few more years to rule using bogus lines.

/Fin

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

White House is pushing back hard on behalf of Jackson, sending out several reports, laudatory quotes from Obama officials, his performance review and more. Decision here is no surrender.

6:22 PM - Apr 24, 2018

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

Senior Administration Official on Ronny Jackson: "He has never even been the subject of an Inspector General review and he will certainly not be railroaded by a bitter ex-colleague who was removed from his job."

6:18 PM - Apr 24, 2018

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Oh you meant THAT IG report!

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Zeke Miller @ZekeJMiller

The White House is releasing hand-written reports from Obama and Trump praising Jackson's leadership and medical care, and that they each recommended him for early promotion.

6:34 PM - Apr 24, 2018

Manu Raju @mkraju

Exactly what Senate GOP leaders do NOT want this election year: A messy fight over a nominee who could spawn opposition from veterans groups, while defending him against allegations of personal misconduct. Plus this would stretch into at least mid-May https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/988905591274967040?s=21 …

6:33 PM - Apr 24, 2018

Oct 25, 2017

From the article:

The allegations largely surround Jackson's conduct while on overseas trips. "We were told stories where he was repeatedly drunk on while duty where his main job was to take care of the most powerful man in the world," Tester said, noting the allegations reach back to the Obama administration. "That's not acceptable."

Sen. Jerry Moran, a Kansas Republican on the Veterans' Affairs Committee, has said Jackson denied ever having a drink while on duty.

Jackson also allegedly handed out drugs to staff during trips that involved several time changes.

"Most of them are the ones that make you want to sleep and then make you wake up," Tester said. "These are basically doled out, and by the way, we had 20 military folks and retired military folks tell us these stories, these were doled out on overseas trips where there are a lot of timezone changes."

So the accusations are that he drank while on duty and that he improperly handed out uppers and downers on trips.

I can see how other administrations would (incorrectly) overlook these things if they liked him personally.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just found the rare overlap between OT and Gaming; one of the Russian oligarchs who was just sanctioned is Viktor Vekselberg, who runs a conglomerate named Renova Group. Renova owns an American investment firm named Columbus Nova. Columbus Nova bought Sony Online Entertainment, renamed it Daybreak games and killed a bunch of games like EverQuest Next and Asheron's Call. The president of Columbus Nova also donated $285,000 to the Trump inauguration.

So fuck the Russians extra hard, I wanted to play me a low-stat voxel-based MMORPG.

Also, has this been posted yet?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/mcmaster-and-commander

When Trump assumed office, N.S.C. staffers initially generated memos for him that resembled those produced for his predecessors: multi-page explications of policy and strategy. But "an edict came down," a former staffer told me: " 'Thin it out.' " The staff dutifully trimmed the memos to a single page. "But then word comes back: 'This is still too much.' " A senior Trump aide explained to the staffers that the President is "a visual person," and asked them to express points "pictorially."

"By the time I left, we had these cards," the former staffer said. They are long and narrow, made of heavy stock, and emblazoned with the words "THE WHITE HOUSE" at the top. Trump receives a thick briefing book every night, but nobody harbors the illusion that he reads it. Current and former officials told me that filling out a card is the best way to raise an issue with him in writing. Everything that needs to be conveyed to the President must be boiled down, the former staffer said, to "two or three points, with the syntactical complexity of 'See Jane run.' "

Last edited:

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Makes me think of Burger.

Woodward and Armstrong's sources indicated that some of the other justices were annoyed by Burger's practice of switching his vote in conference, or simply not announcing his vote, in order that he be able to control opinion assignments. "Burger repeatedly irked his colleagues by changing his vote to remain in the majority,

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
/shrug You could have said this about his opinion on the ACA case too. I feel Roberts is less predictable than people assume.

Keep in mind the justification for gutting the VRA wasn't that the Court was against the provisions on principle, but rather that the standards were outdated and Congress could simply reauthorize the bill to fit within SCOTUS' new guidelines. Which of course, would require a much less dysfunctional Congress, which would require an end to gerrymandering.
I think he's still pretty predictable though

When this case started out, he came out pretty hard against just the idea of using math to determine the value of voter representation in redistricting. As long he's taking that much of a simpleton view of it, he's not going to be persuaded by any kind of argument about the merits of redistricting formulas.

If Roberts is writing the majority opinion, I'm assuming the Dems' side lost in this.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

When this case started out, he came out pretty hard against just the idea of using math to determine the value of voter representation in redistricting. As long he's taking that much of a simpleton view of it, he's not going to be persuaded by any kind of argument about the merits of redistricting formulas.

If Roberts is writing the majority opinion, I'm assuming the Dems' side lost in this.
That said, Kennedy was the swing vote in this whole thing.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Hopefully Kennedy saves the day. Not counting on Roberts.

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
On a scale from 1 to 10:
On a scale from 10 to "As Fuck":
How real is the pee tape?

You know, the likelihood of its existence is increasing to the point where I don't even think people will be horrified when it's released. It's almost good for it to remain in the air because it won't shock anyone if it comes out. No one will stop supporting him because of it.

I recall hearing stories about some Bill Clinton supporters liking him more after the Monica-cigar details came out, as though it made him more authentic and even...um...playboy-ish?

Basically there's a lot of silly people in this country.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Reading thru Michael Li's Twitter, I think we might be overreacting about Roberts. It's so speculative in nature. Kennedy could have the opinion for all we know.

Is it that unusual for, in this case, Roberts and Gorsuch not writing Oct. decisions?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
If it ever shows up, most people are gonna be disappointed in the pee pee tape, as most people assume that it's Russian hookers peeing on trump, when it's only supposed to be trump watching hookers pee on the bed the Obamas slept in. While certainly salacious, after the inflated expectation of being peed on is squashed, reactions will be, "is that all?", and it will disappear into the either, as all trump scandals seem to.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Zoe Tillman @ZoeTillman

NEW: A federal judge in DC found the Trump admin's rescission of DACA "arbitrary and capricious." Judge ordered DHS to process *new* DACA applications as well as renewals, which would be a big deal, BUT he put the order on hold for 90 days

US District Judge John Bates is giving DHS the 90 days to come back with a better explanation as to why it concluded DACA was unlawful. As it stands now, Bates wrote, "That legal judgment was virtually unexplained, however, and so it cannot support the agency's decision."

There are already two nationwide injunctions requiring DHS to process DACA renewal applications. That's already up on appeal. Bates' order would go farther by requiring DHS to process new applications again. But DHS will have this 90-day period to try to stop that from happening.

This squares with what went down at arguments. Bates asked about options for sending it back to DHS -- DOJ argued that if he did that, he shouldn't also vacate the rescission. This opinion seems to occupy a middle ground -- vacating it, but giving DHS time to try to fix things

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That said, Kennedy was the swing vote in this whole thing.
Right, I was never counting on Roberts for this and his ridiculous mathphobic statements at the beginning of the case killed whatever thought I ever might have had that he might lean to the liberal side here.

I'm just saying, if Roberts is writing the majority opinion, it's because Kennedy swung his way, not because Roberts and Kennedy swung to the liberals.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Right, I was never counting on Roberts for this and his ridiculous mathphobic statements at the beginning of the case killed whatever thought I ever might have had that he might lean to the liberal side here.

I'm just saying, if Roberts is writing the majority opinion, it's because Kennedy swung his way, not because Roberts and Kennedy swung to the liberals.
Roberts doesn't have to agree with the majority, ideology wise, he may want to write the opinion to limit the scope of the ruling and the precedeent set, if the majority had already agree to strike down gerrymandering

Allard

Oct 25, 2017

Or like ACA he doesn't want a 5-4 majority opinion on such big case that his side of the court loses (with him as chief justice) and by proxy by making majority comment he has a way to issue reduction on how broad the decision becomes. Basically, don't look too far into it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Or like ACA he doesn't want a 5-4 majority opinion on such big case that his side of the court loses (with him as chief justice) and by proxy by making majority comment he has a way to issue reduction on how broad the decision becomes. Basically, don't look too far into it.
Exactly. I'm saying we can't read into this either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.