Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I still think its crazy a country poorer than Canada has influenced the American election.

If this is what Russia is capable of I wonder how far Chinese influence goes?

Chinese influence is significant in a lot of countries but its generally in some degree beneficial for the other party. Instead of bring straight assholes like Russia, you generally get a significant amount of infrastructure and economic investment when they're trying to colonialise your country.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
China has a whole different set of issues.
The "Social Credit Score" is the most fucked up dystopian thing any country has done so far.

tenor.gif

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK China's espionage is basically just a giant information vacuum. They just want all the data. The only thing they really seem to do with it is copy technology and product designs. I think China doesn't want to mess with the US or Western order like Russia does because they need us to be strong and stable to throw money at their manufacturing.

That seems unlikely given Australia has been forced to introduce new laws to try and prevent Chinese influence of its politicians.

Oct 28, 2017
That seems unlikely given Australia has been forced to introduce new laws to try and prevent Chinese influence of its politicians.

Chinese influence there has more to do with natural resources (iron and copper) and trade chains (ports). China's influence is there to help them punch up regionally and internationally while Russia wants to break everything apart.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese influence there has more to do with natural resources (iron and copper) and trade chains (ports). China's influence is there to help them punch up regionally and internationally while Russia wants to break everything apart.

I'll agree the motives are quite different.
But, China is in this for themselves more than Australia.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see this in the thread: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/13/mystery-firm-nra-consultant-219004
Meanwhile, the NRA's relationship with Starboard continues. The gun group paid Starboard more than $40 million in 2016, a sum that surpassed by more than $10 million, the total federal election payments made to OnMessage in the same year by all candidates and groups, according to campaign finance data. During that election cycle, Sen. Ron Johnson, the Republican incumbent in Wisconsin, was defending his seat in a tight race. Johnson's campaign hired OnMessage. Later, the NRA, listing Starboard as its vendor, paid for ads boosting his candidacy. Johnson won his race by fewer than 100,000 votes.

Ron Johnson is on of the senators that just went to Russia, and on coming back said we should consider removing sanctions because "they're not working."

*thinking emoji*

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see this in the thread: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/13/mystery-firm-nra-consultant-219004

Ron Johnson is on of the senators that just went to Russia, and on coming back said we should consider removing sanctions because "they're not working."

*thinking emoji*
I didn't realize Tom Cotton is so young. I just imagined him as an old fart based on his views and statements. We're stuck with him for a long time. Ugh.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chinese influence is significant in a lot of countries but its generally in some degree beneficial for the other party. Instead of bring straight assholes like Russia, you generally get a significant amount of infrastructure and economic investment when they're trying to colonialise your country.
I mean it depends.

Chinese firms typically operate with worse tech and information and thus will produce inferior products. Chicago just had an issue with a Chinese infrastructure firm building sub-par bridges; all this stems from their lack of information and technical skill.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
China has a whole different set of issues.
The "Social Credit Score" is the most fucked up dystopian thing any country has done so far.
China is everything that fear of "big government" actually should be.

Especially with technology progressing this is going to get worse

Even the amount of cameras that are everywhere in the UK freaks me out

It would be good if we actually used that phrase and pivoted it to those issues rather than idk, meaning progressive healthcare and infrastructure spending

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since basically all of America has their personal data leaked one way or another, I wonder if China has social credit scores for all of us that just aren't public yet

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Loosely related, but does anyone listen to Lovett or Leave It? What the bloody hell was up with that "both sides are fucking us equally so it doesn't matter who's in power" dolt on today's episode? If only it were so easy to ignore the unassailable evidence of the past ten fucking years.

Maddening that he didn't just kick her ass off stage. What an impossibly painful listen, and even more painful that there are plenty more people with that same defeatist mindset continuing to fuck the rest of us over.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, we are definitely getting close now to immense fuckery. There are enough matching dates and allusions to US persons in the indictments now that you see it's not very hard for analysts and reporters to come to some conclusions that arent at all good for Trump. And the timing right before the Putin meeting is a deliberate release. Even Rod said they did it now because the President has some important decisions to make, best he have some info. Like, how do you even handle Trump coming out of the meeting giving Putin a load of shit? At that point you gotta start asking who is gonna do something about it.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, we are definitely getting close now to immense fuckery. There are enough matching dates and allusions to US persons in the indictments now that you see it's not very hard for analysts and reporters to come to some conclusions that arent at all good for Trump. And the timing right before the Putin meeting is a deliberate release. Even Rod said they did it now because the President has some important decisions to make, best he have some info. Like, how do you even handle Trump coming out of the meeting giving Putin a load of shit? At that point you gotta start asking who is gonna do something about it.
I just hope someone on our side bugs the room they are in, because some shit is going down for sure in that meeting.

Oct 27, 2017
They just played again Trump's "Perry Mason" quote from today. Now that I think about it, there will be a moment where we see him say "gee, you got me".

And a statement that was made two years ago "Russia, if you're listening, ..." is finally getting the press it deserved at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
They just played again Trump's "Perry Mason" quote from today. Now that I think about it, there will be a moment where we see him say "gee, you got me".

And a statement that was made two years ago "Russia, if you're listening, ..." is finally getting the press it deserved at the time.
I think there is this strange mixing of shock with how out in the open and brazen all of this is/was while simultaneously still demanding the most ludicrous levels of evidence that would get laughed off of a tv show today for being too implausible. It's bewildering.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already have the same thing with criminal background and credit checks for jobs and housing.
Nonononono.

Not even close to the same thing; employers would be liable if they tried firing or not hiring based on political views or what have you.

In China that behavior is encouraged.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This person is being vague and its annoying as fuck. Ex. surprises, people dont know things, dont jump to conclusions etc etc. Hate this shit.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Loosely related, but does anyone listen to Lovett or Leave It? What the bloody hell was up with that "both sides are fucking us equally so it doesn't matter who's in power" dolt on today's episode? If only it were so easy to ignore the unassailable evidence of the past ten fucking years.

Maddening that he didn't just kick her ass off stage. What an impossibly painful listen, and even more painful that there are plenty more people with that same defeatist mindset continuing to fuck the rest of us over.
Yikes. It is like the one show I don't listen to of theirs so I couldn't say.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can infer she's saying more bombs are coming, and they won't be comfortable.

My guess is the Russians compromised the voting process.
Yeah, and changed Clinton's internal campaign data to not worry about/focus resources where they needed to. Trump's illegitimate. It's been known for awhile. And he and his won't go gently into the night.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and changed Clinton's internal campaign data to not worry about/focus resources where they needed to. Trump's illegitimate. It's been known for awhile. And he and his won't go gently into the night.
I have always wondered this...what takes place if Trump refuses to leave office. Who arrests him? What are the mechanics that take place?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about that Benczkowski guy that just got confirmed.

He was on Trump transition team...

Status
Not open for further replies.