• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's not just one district": Ocasio-Cortez pushes back on Pelosi's caution not to read too much into her victory (Washington Post)

There's a lot to unpack in this short exchange, and there's a lot missing too. It's curious to see Ocasio-Cortez hedge her language when she talks about generational and ideological change within both parties ("in certain seats where it's appropriate") and resist the bait laid out in front of her to specifically call out the Top Three in her future party.

The video of the Minority Leader was much more revealing too - Pelosi was partially responding to a question about how Republicans are trying to explain Ocasio-Cortez's primary win. But this is an awkward dance.
O-C is a good politician. The hedge is absolutely necessary.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

@ZoeTillman

1m
Replying to @ZoeTillman

Very heated exchange right now between Rep. Jordan and Rosenstein.

J: Why are you keeping information from Congress?
R: I am not keeping any information from Congress that it's appropriate for... (he is cut off)
1/2

Zoe Tillman @ZoeTillman

J: in a few minutes, Mr. Rosenstein, I think the House of Representatives is gonna say something different
R: I don't agree with you congressman, I don't believe that's what they're going to say, and if they do they'll be mistaken. They will be mistaken.
2/2

11:29 AM - Jun 28, 2018

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017

Bring it on. This alone would give - admittedly narrow - grounds for having him recused from the Court should those questions come before it.

In the broader scheme of things should Trump, as he undoubtedly will, call for his appointees to do their duty by him - that would give quite strong grounds for having them both recused in questions of the indictment or the pardon power of the President.

It's not lost until it is lost.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/hillhulse/status/1012335783951458306

Sen McConnell usually shrugs off attacks but he's not happy with charges he is a hypocrite for confirming a justice in mid-term election year. "These aren't the final months of a second-term constitutionally lame-duck presidency with a presidential election fast approaching."

Look at this snowflake. He's been triggered.

(Also, Scalia died in February. That's almost a year.)

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the Rosenstein and Mueller have something up their sleeves regarding these congressmen. I think they probably have some form of skeleton in their closet.
I still feel like people like Rosenstein have far too much faith in the integrity of republicans and will be surprised when he's fired.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Also like anything would have been different if Scalia died in January 2015.

Exactly. Republicans will not let the Supreme Court go. Mark my words, the second it looks like liberals will flip it they'll torch the entire fucking thing. They'll pack the courts the next time they get a chance. They will not give it up.

SpartanDad

Nov 1, 2017
Jim Jordan is the biggest chucklefuck in Congress. Our saving grace is that so many of these MAGA enthusiasts are completed idiots.

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like people like Rosenstein have far too much faith in the integrity of republicans and will be surprised when he's fired.

From the very beginning Rosenstein was described by everyone as a "survivalist" (and turned out to be vindicated in his write-up about Comey), so I don't think what is happening is surprising him at all. He had that very public dinner with the AG and solicitor general, and has given talks where he has confronted these questions already.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
How did they accidentally pick an actually competent and relatively principled guy for their deputy AG? Did they think that position just didn't matter?
Very likely. We know that Trump has picked competent people for some positions, probably by accident or because he just doesn't give a shit about lower positions. I imagine Deputy AG fell into that category.

YAAAS at Hot Rod not being afraid to call the chucklefucks' bluff. If they impeach him, he gets to defend himself at the trial in the Senate and show what he has against them.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
It's misleading as hell, but I assume Turtle meant he is prohibited from running again by the Constitution, and is a lame duck. But even that's not at all correct.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
McConnel can fuck off with his argument of "lame duck" because the GOP candidate hadn't even been decided yet when Scalia died.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Christ the US would be screwed if you had a standard idiot toady as Deputy AG instead of Rosenstein.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Some bad shit hidden in the MA bill: They are phasing out time and a half pay on Sundays and certain holidays that has been mandatory for certain fields such as retail. However, work on Sundays and certain holidays will still remain voluntary and an employed cannot be discriminated against for not wanting to work Sundays and certain holidays. Honestly MA may have been only one of a handful of states to still have this law. Only other state I could find was RI.

Also there is now a permanent sales tax holiday in August, but that's a lot better than the proposed ballot question that had a sales tax cut from 6.25% to 5%, which would have been devastating.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
So...when is Mueller going to releass any results? The country is dying

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
A former aide to Roger J. Stone Jr., the longtime Trump adviser and self-described "dirty trickster," was subpoenaed to appear before the grand jury hearing evidence in the Russia investigation and to hand over documents, and his lawyer said he planned to move on Thursday to quash it in court.

The aide, Andrew Miller, has not been mentioned before publicly in the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

Mr. Miller, a registered Libertarian, worked for Mr. Stone during the campaign, helping to arrange media interviews and conducting other tasks, according to a person close to Mr. Stone.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/politics/roger-stone-andrew-miller-subpoenaed-trump.html

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I know someone's getting confirmed, but part of me just knows that something will happen to turn this nomination process into a complete circus. Trump will do or say something, something about the nominee's past will come out, this one will get more attention than Gorsuch, Republicans will overplay their hand, etc. This administration managing to get a nominee through with no controversy would be a minor miracle, especially when the vacancy itself is already controversial.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
So...when is Mueller going to releass any results? The country is dying

When he has them?

When you come at the king you best not miss. We should all want him to have his best case possible before he starts swinging. It'll be a knock down fight for the future of the country once the dominoes start falling.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I know someone's getting confirmed, but part of me just knows that something will happen to turn this nomination process into a complete circus. Trump will do or say something, something about the nominee's past will come out, this one will get more attention than Gorsuch, Republicans will overplay their hand, etc. This administration managing to get a nominee through with no controversy would be a minor miracle, especially when the vacancy itself is already controversial.
Gorsuch went through smoother than I thought it would so I'm not holding out hope

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man I'd be so fucking pissed if I were Hot Rod. A bunch of bad faith chucklefucks trying to drag you to protect the most corrupt asshole imaginable...it's despicable

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"His motion will argue that Mr. Mueller's appointment "was unconstitutional,""

These are the new marching orders form Russia. Everyone is using this now in lawsuits. Hopefully they get shot down.

Status
Not open for further replies.