• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
KS has a Democratic governor. She will not appoint Pompeo if Roberts resigns early. Even if they had one of those "appointee must be of the same party" laws, she wouldn't appoint him. Paul Davis, the Democratic candidate in last year's KS-02 election, would probably get it if he wanted it.
Totally blanked that KS actually has a Dem governor now. GOP got Kobach'd

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII not coming to N64 sealed the deal for me for PS1. And it did not have fighting games either like Tekken or Battle Arena Toshinden. It was all super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 and other cutesy stuff. And it did not have Twisted Metal. What glorious fun that was.
It actually had a shitload of fighting games. But most of them were of dubious quality. Mostly Midway arcade port trash, most of which came to PS1. Plus some weird Japanese fighting games that were mostly exclusive. But yeah, the good ones were all on PS1 except for Smash and Killer Instinct Gold.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
KS has a Democratic governor. She will not appoint Pompeo if Roberts resigns early. Even if they had one of those "appointee must be of the same party" laws, she wouldn't appoint him. Paul Davis, the Democratic candidate in last year's KS-02 election, would probably get it if he wanted it.
I highly doubt she appoints a Dem to a seat that was held by a Republican because it pretty much ensure she's a one-term governor.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt she appoints a Dem to a seat that was held by a Republican because it pretty much ensure she's a one-term governor.
She's more likely than not going to be anyway.

Just appoint a Democrat to the seat if necessary. There would be a regularly scheduled election in November 2020 anyway, and they could elect a Republican if they wanted.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I was an N64 kiddo and loved it and still do to this day, but it is hard to argue it's even a top 5 system even if the top 5 games were and are absolutely revolutionary masterworks.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII not coming to N64 sealed the deal for me for PS1. And it did not have fighting games either like Tekken or Battle Arena Toshinden. It was all super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 and other cutesy stuff. And it did not have Twisted Metal. What glorious fun that was.

i didn't have internet until late 1997, and no magazine subscriptions to gaming stuff. i didn't know the playstation had good games on it until the latter half of 1998 and i thought the system was a dumb loser console because so many had tried in the past (mentally i put it next to jaguar). it's funny because digging further back in my memory, i had actually played twisted metal as my first 3d game back at fedco in the mid-90s. i didn't even know what the game was or what a playstation was, and i don't think it registered for me that it was a real 3d game back then.

n64 was the only choice. i knew about saturn and was only somewhat aware that it was doing poorly, but i didn't know that by then it was basically done and off the market. platformers were my jam anyway and the multiplayer games were a hit with my family and friends - the wrestling games, the racing games, and the first-person shooters would take up our weekends and after-school time whenever we weren't outside. in my early teenage years once i figured out what a playstation was, i had wanted to try out crash and spyro in particular. when i finally got a ps2 in 2002, final fantasy vii was the first game i got for it. because i was so late to the party, there are only a handful of playstation games i ended up liking, but to be fair there's really nothing from that era that actually holds up outside of 2d games. early 3d stuff was pretty rough overall. i can't believe how well my imagination filled in the gaps to make it all seem real.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It actually had a shitload of fighting games. But most of them were of dubious quality. Mostly Midway arcade port trash, most of which came to PS1. Plus some weird Japanese fighting games that were mostly exclusive. But yeah, the good ones were all on PS1 except for Smash and Killer Instinct Gold.
Killer Instinct was the only one I heard of and that too because EGM loved it lol. But come on, PS1 fighting games were sublime. Tekken, Toshinden, Tobal, Soul Edge, Bushido Blade, Bloody Roar etc. List goes on.

Anyway that was one of the reasons. Biggest one at least for me was Square and FF7.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

It takes 22 ¶s for NYT to get around to mentioning the Trump Tower deal Trump pursued at least until the election relied on a former GRU General. It doesn't tell readers that's the same agency that hacked the DNC.
NYT always finds new ways to impress.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I was a Nintendo fangirl thanks to my cousins being so and they got me into videogames. It was an awesome system for multiplayer games and racing games. In spring 1999, though, I got fucking sick of having no JRPGs, my favorite genre, on the system. So I got a PS1 and pretty much went nuts. Got Lunar: SSSC and Star Ocean 2, both new releases, with the system and they fucking blew my mind. Then I made my way through the "older" classics like Xenogears and FF7 and got all the new ones at release. And then I got a Dreamcast at launch. And the rest is history. My cousins eventually went multiconsole, but not until the X360 IIRC.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was a Nintendo fangirl thanks to my cousins being so and they got me into videogames. It was an awesome system for multiplayer games and racing games. In spring 1999, though, I got fucking sick of having no JRPGs, my favorite genre, on the system. So I got a PS1 and pretty much went nuts. Got Lunar: SSSC and Star Ocean 2, both new releases, with the system and they fucking blew my mind. Then I made my way through the "older" classics like Xenogears and FF7 and got all the new ones at release. And then I got a Dreamcast at launch. And the rest is history. My cousins eventually went multiconsole, but not until the X360 IIRC.

Reggie 2020 tbh....

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
"Yes, they were, and I was part of the problem. That's part of white privilege, not even being able to tell when you're doing something racist. I've learned a lot since then, let me tell you about..."

Not hard.
It's a bit hard

Really, almost no matter what she says it's going to be easily spun as she's just taking whatever position is best suited for her career

The politician maneuvering to explain why the Trump admin is basically evil for supporting the things she supported is too hard

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good balance. Especially since there are parts of the base which are still in favor of tighter immigration rules.

I don't think anyone's paying attention yet, but in a primary, a brown candidate can absolutely call her out for not being able to admit her own racism.

The debates are going to be interesting for this reason. The white candidates are going to have to walk some tricky tightropes, and Gillbrand might be there with Sanders as the two people who have to do the most balancing in that regard.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that white candidates should be comfortable with saying that their past actions were racist but that's probably a bad soundbite.

I don't even think it'd be a bad soundbite. The Dem base would respond well to it, as would our general electorate. It's not like Rust Belt Dem-defectors are like, "Well I can't vote for her if she said she was racist in the past."

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
lmao off at the Comic Book Guy quotes

i mean, the ps2's library is gargantuan. if you can't find at least a couple games enjoyable, you probably just don't like videogames
I loved the PS2. Just saying that a great console with great games doesn't excuse obnoxious fanboyism. Nothing does.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it'd be a bad soundbite. The Dem base would respond well to it, as would our general electorate. It's not like Rust Belt Dem-defectors are like, "Well I can't vote for her if she said she was racist in the past."
I'm talking about perception from Latinx and black folks. It definitely has to be framed well.

Also:

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about perception from Latinx and black folks. It definitely has to be framed well.

Also:

It's also important to note that that figure is what China reports. As many analysts both in and outside of China have noted, many of their economic figures cannot be trusted. The real number is certainly lower. And while this was a long time coming irregardless of who is in the White House, Trump's trade war isn't helping them.

Chinese unemployment worries are growing as Beijing beefs up stimulus

Europe's steel tariff move tips over another domino in Trump's trade war with China

Even Europe is getting in on the action. Hard Brexit plus this means the 20s could be an inverse of the Roaring 20s a century ago. But that's just speculation.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Trump retweeted several GOP senators and they all basically say the same thing about a proposal and blah blah blah.

If only Democrats had the ability to get in such lock step so quickly.

They're all ancient, and probably use the same social media team of young white dudes. Like, I legit think they probably workshop the tweets together in a room for their Congresspeople.

Dems tend not to do that because honestly, it doesn't fly with our base. Either use social media authentically (like AOC) or just don't bother. Remember, always think about the different bases. People always say shit like "I wish there was a left-wing Fox News" but it wouldn't succeed because a larger portion of our base wouldn't watch it. A lot of things people think work well for the GOP (and some of them do work well for them) won't work for Dems.

Also:

Yeah, they're who I meant. I think they'd respond better to "hey, I totally fucked that up and I'm sorry" than some defense of it. Defending or obfuscating it just sounds like another politician covering up.

I stopped watching the NFL two years ago.

Seems like I made a good choice.

Honestly, I'm the opposite. I've totally checked out of the college scene since I can almost certainly tell who's going to win most of the games. The top teams are just so stacked.

In the NFL, that happens a little less for me. Plus, I can watch two shit NFL teams play and still have an alright game. Bad college teams against each other just looks so atrocious.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
NBC News White House Producer:

Elyse PG @elysepg

Neither the President nor the Vice President will participate in any public events for MLK day tomorrow ->

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
NBC News White House Producer:

Elyse PG @elysepg

Neither the President nor the Vice President will participate in any public events for MLK day tomorrow ->

I prefer they stay far away lest we get the media talking about how Trump is trying to bridge the divide between people or some shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm the opposite. I've totally checked out of the college scene since I can almost certainly tell who's going to win most of the games. The top teams are just so stacked.

In the NFL, that happens a little less for me. Plus, I can watch two shit NFL teams play and still have an alright game. Bad college teams against each other just looks so atrocious.

I get that. I gave up on football entirely and moved on to soccer. I just have problems with how the labor is treated, beyond the NFL's own issues with racism, that make it hard to watch for me. :(

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
N64's bazillion couch co-op and competitive games are an underrated feature, IMHO. No other console has the combination of multiplayer (real multiplayer, not this online crap), and single-player classics.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've been diving back into my PS1 library lately myself. My N64 was pretty neglected apart from a few titles. I planned to start ripping my games onto my Raspberry Pi this weekend in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.