Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Assume this is trial balloon mode but wouldn't surprise me

I don't think this is so much a trial balloon, as it is a reality that no one in the party has come to grips with yet: Trump's declining mental state isn't going to hold up at debates. It barely holds up at bubble-comfort rallies, he'd fall to pieces into a slurred mess at an actual debate where he was challenged.

Only way out is to not play but I don't think that's a good plan.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
It's crazy how it went from looking like we were heading for a hung parliament or a slim Tory majority (or a small chance of a Labour majority) to a historic Tory majority in reality.

I understand that the Conservatives were favored to win, but like this? Shit.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
If the Democrats say he's not doing it because he's not fit he'd just have to show up to one and not drool on himself to win. A bit of a trap in that sense.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Was it really looking like this? Was polling actually showing this?
Polling_for_the_campaign_period_of_the_2019_UK_General_Election.png

no

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if the debate commission would leave an empty podium there.

If Biden is the nominee, maybe it'd be for the best if we all skip the debates. For....reasons.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The UK results could be encouraging for Democrats in the US.

The Conservative Party consistently led Labor, Boris (while unpopular) was more popular than Corbyn, etc.

In the US, all the main Democratic candidates have better favorables than Trump, and in head to heads have been constantly shown to beat Trump. Trump while 'favored' due to his incumbency status, has increasingly shown all the signs of a one-term President.

TLDR: Polling always showed Boris beating Corbyn, the actual result was bigger. If that follows Stateside, someone like Biden would win bigly.

Edit: realignment has fucked Labor pretty bad. Guess what? realignment is fucking Republicans in the suburbs pretty bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is something that has yet to have a reckoning, but I think some people (and candidates) are in it more to witness the debate "fight" against Trump than perhaps be a sure vote or care about wanting Trump out. If Trump skips the debates I think that only helps the Democrats in terms of voting turnout on both sides.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I am wondering how much this will hurt Bernie though. Serves him well for aligning himself too much with an unpopular leader.

He should have aligned himself with WINNER AMLO instead hehe.

It´s up to his staff to give him a proper briefing of some world leaders. It´s the same with Lula, who´s a trash candidate at this point in his life. Bernie doesn´t need to show solidarity to everyone on the left.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
This is way worse. In 2010, Dems got destroyed... but only lost the House. They still had the Senate and the Presidency.

Labor has nothing. Boris has free reign to do as he pleases. The equivalent would be closer to 2016 than anything.

A worse version of 2016.
I was comparing it to the House because it's pretty much equivalent to the House of Commons - based on population, individual constituencies, majoritarian in nature. The only difference is that it merges the legislative and executive branches - the PM and cabinet form the executive branch - whereas our House lies solely in the legislative branch. But the electoral mechanisms are similar.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.

Which is their goal: to scare us as they're not in a good position to pitch a comeback at all.

x0yh0Be.jpg

Trying to tire us out. Trying to scare us. Trying to destroy enough of the institutions. Trying to smear LE/IC/etc agencies that have power over them. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But they don't LOOK confident doing it. Bleary-eyed, talking out of both sides of their mouths in rapid succession, obstructing more and more legislation as either passing or denying House bills is suicide for their majority, actively choosing the protection of known Russian Intelligence black propaganda as it's the only thing left with no overlap of the truth, losing elections, terrible demographics getting worse for them, jailing of their cut-outs, bagmen, fixers, mob lawyers, and handlers...the list goes on.

Probably the bitter optimist in me, but it's still ours to lose to me...as long as we dont just let them.

They are clearly desperate for Kobach not to win the primary.

Speaking of scared:

Perhaps they need a new sunflower savior...

I dunno, I think having a party leader that's not at 24% approval would've helped. Might be the best they could have hoped for was a narrow majority with the LDs or a hung parliament.

I mean, forget how he ever stayed in there so long, is there any chance he's going to step down now or?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the debate commission would leave an empty podium there.

If Biden is the nominee, maybe it'd be for the best if we all skip the debates. For....reasons.

We can finally have our own version of the empty chair -

o-CLINT-EASTWOOD-EMPTY-CHAIR-facebook.jpg

If you listen carefully, you can hear Putin cackling.

Just a gentle reminder -

The book states that "the maximum task [of the future] is the 'Finlandization' of all of Europe".

The United Kingdom should be cut off from Europe.

Oct 27, 2017
This is way worse. In 2010, Dems got destroyed... but only lost the House. They still had the Senate and the Presidency.

Labor has nothing. Boris has free reign to do as he pleases. The equivalent would be closer to 2016 than anything.

A worse version of 2016.

Tough to see parallel in any year. This seems like an actual trial run for Brexit this time, can't say what's going to happen or how people will actually react once it gets moving for real.

From 2010, two years after that Democrats won the Presidency again.
Two years after that, congress basically abandoned the President over ebola and his relative unpopularity.
Two years after that half the Democratic electorate stayed home.
Two years after that they rushed back in to participate in Congressional AND State elections for the first time in a very long time.
Two years after that, voters in the Democratic party insisted on an open primary with more representative participants and less influence from establishment superdelegates. So far, more often than not they've been going with the most establishment-like, least-successful presidential campaigner. Huh.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel for the good people in the UK who will suffer under Johnson and co. while also hoping this isn't a precursor to Trump and the GOP winning in 2020 in America.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel for the good people in the UK who will suffer under Johnson and co. while also hoping this isn't a precursor to Trump and the GOP winning in 2020 in America.
The numbers for Labor had been against them for a while now, a lot due to an unpopular leader and realignment going against them. Sound familiar?

A repeat of what we saw in the UK would see Trump out on his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.