• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with that bullshit, seriously.

Calling the first situation a gaffe is putting it quite nicely too.
That was a fuck up.

Her second was more of a gaffe.

Nah, you can fuck off with your hating on Omar for being critical of what our country has done to people like her. You are the exact type of person that I think of when I think of why my alliance with the Democratic Party is a) reluctant and b) temporary if I can ever get a better deal elsewhere, which unfortunately will likely never happen in my lifetime.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
I was specifically referencing modern middle eastern campaigns.

But yes I agree, you are completely correct.

Fair enough.

The reductionism of foreign policy events spanning decades and contintents to "kill brown people" is incredibly frustrating because it boils down complex issues into a singular point that isn't very useful for discussing any of the individual circumstances or issues.

The only way American presidents don't kill anybody is if America retreats entirely from the world stage. At which time they'd be replaced by China and Russia.

It's impossible to live in a world where this doesn't happen, even indirectly - Trump is supporting the murder of journalists by covering for Saudi Arabia

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Except it didn't happen then. It happened after the second "gaffe," which shouldn't have been a thing at all and was definitely completely blown out of proportion. It was completely on Pelosi on Dem leadership, as they call the shots and there was even a piece on how they completely blindsighted membership on it, which lead to it being delayed and having the Islamophobia bits added, and then having a few more bits needing to get added right as the vote was suppose to happen. No one forced Pelosi or Democratic leadership to do that in the first place. That was on all them, and is in no way Omar's fault. She didn't make them do it, nor handle it in such a rushed, sloppy, messy way that membership barely had any idea what was going on. She could have just stuck by Omar/said nothing/brushed off Republican attacks and point out the hypocrisy in them, both in their own personal histories and their silence on Trump and on how Trump himself has tweeted anti-Semitic garbage. There was no need for any of this, at any point, and that's on Pelosi and D-leadership for nonetheless handling in in such a terrible way, not her.

It happened because there was a second gaffe. She couldn't even wait a month.

They could have done nothing, but when the majority of the Jewish community is calling something anti-semeitic you shouldn't do nothing.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
This is all very heated and passions are high right now. I'm not a mod but I just urge everyone to bring the temperature down a bit because it doesn't seem super constructive. Hope I'm not out of line by suggesting this.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, some of the tizzy here over Omar's latest comments are proof that many Dems don't give a fuck about brown or black people. Some "go slow" shit here about our FP that has killed a whole lot of brown and black people. I expected better of POTUS Obama in this regard no matter how much I personally like him, and I will expect the same of the next Dem POTUS. None of this "go along to get along, don't try to change things too quickly" bullshit in regards to our FP.

Agreed. American foreign policy has been consistently awful under American presidents in the modern era regardless of party. We should absolutely expect more of whichever Democrat is elected to that office next. Our foreign policy needs change now.

Omar is right. I hope she outlasts the storm and continues to be a voice in the party for a long time to come. She brings much-needed perspective.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you can fuck off with your hating on Omar for being critical of what our country has done to people like her. You are the exact type of person that I think of when I think of why my alliance with the Democratic Party is a) reluctant and b) temporary if I can ever get a better deal elsewhere, which unfortunately will likely never happen in my lifetime.
"People like her" being Somali refugees allowed to immigrate to the United States? She fled a civil war where the US provided humanitarian intervention as part of a UN mission. The idea that there's some trans-national circumstance and connection between people spanning continents who happen to share a religion or skin tone is, again, unbelievably reductionist.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"People like her" being Somali refugees allowed to immigrate to the United States? She fled a civil war where the US provided humanitarian intervention as part of a UN mission. The idea that there's some trans-national circumstance and connection between people spanning continents who happen to share a religion or skin tone is, again, unbelievably reductionist.
The reductionism comes from America's racism.

You best believe brown people in this country share a connection, regardless of where they came from.

Jan 15, 2019
She'd throw the book at him. Literally.
Well played.
It seems like you're talking about US policy and the person you're responding to is referring more so to how muslim women are treated in the US on a day-to-day basis. Just saying.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those complex issues stem from imperialism in nature, so from the starting point of "imperialism is hitorically bad for black and brown people," and from the viewpoint of a black person who lived it, of course Omar is going to have her perspective, and her perspective is fine.

Being mad at Omar for asking us to keep the same energy for the next POTUS who isn't as grossly violent and utterly grosteque a human as Trump, but who pursues policies that disproportionately blow off the limbs of brown and black people, is utterly sensible!

I don't accept the argument that less pursuit of policies that kill random brown people on the part of the U.S. would leave a vacuum for China to do it as particularly compelling. I also don't accept the fact that in such a position, POTUS will be directing the military to kill people as some sort of response to the criticism that we kill too many Innocents and should also try to kill fewer people extrajudicially.

When I vote, the things that the rep I voted for does or authorizes are my responsibility, so yes, I appreciate that people, especially representatives like Omar who stick their necks out in particular to say this, will at the very least demand that any killing POTUS does is done only necessarily and with fewer innocent casualties.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's silly to suggest racism hasn't and doesn't play a pretty consistent role in the western approach to foreign policy. We find it much easier to invade and otherwise fuck with non white countries — sometimes because we see their lives as being inherently less valuable (drone strike collateral damage, for example), sometimes it's driven by thinking we know what's good for them because we view them as inherently less intelligent or independently minded. There's a different standard when we interact with predominately white countries.

Oct 25, 2017

If you don't think that a black woman whose country has been damaged by imperialist policies of Western countries won't have a particular concern about how the U.S. conducts itself as a part of its attempts to preserve its own hegemony by bombing mostly brown- and black countries like hers, then maybe you should talk to more black and brown immigrants.

And the idea that the U.S., as part of a UN directive, helped her to immigrate must mean something important or must have some sway here, as I believe that you might be implying, is silly. She might not have had to leave her birthplace at all were it not for centuries of Western interventionism in the first place! The U.S. doesn't get a cookie for placing the bandage of UN-backed intervention for Omar over a gaping wound.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
He only took a half step in establishing health care as a human right, and his landmark foreign policy achievement, the Iran Deal, is hanging by a thread.

He didn't hold Wall St. accountable for 2008, ACA was a half-measure Republican plan, he normalized drone strikes, didn't scale back enough on the wars the GOP started, and gave the R's too much credit, compromised too much, and in the end only brought a little bit of hope and a tiny bit of change. He was incredibly ineffectual in the end.

I agree It shouldn't be taboo to criticize Obama as a Democrat. He had many shortcomings and it's important to address them and make sure the next Dem presidents don't make the same mistakes.
I don't want to be too hard on Obama for multiple reasons, one of them being that he was working against unprecedented obstruction and another being that I feel in retrospect that maybe I projected things on him that I wanted him to be because he was the first PoC to reach that office. Obama was able to get as far as he did by being as milquetoast as possible but it's like some of us wanted him to be this black superhero that he never wanted to be.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think it's silly to suggest racism hasn't and doesn't play a pretty consistent role in the western approach to foreign policy. We find it much easier to invade and otherwise fuck with non white countries — sometimes because we see their lives as being inherently less valuable (drone strike collateral damage, for example), sometimes it's driven by thinking we know what's good for them because we view them as inherently less intelligent or independently minded. There's a different standard when we interact with predominately white countries.

Okay lets be honest here. The only reason we never invaded Russia is because everyone who has invaded russia runs into russian winters and loses. We would rather Force Russia to collapse and Quarenteen them until they decide to act right.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel that people that think Omar's 2nd statement was a gaffe have not even watched the video at all of what she was saying and are just looking for a reason to attack her.

It's funny because I feel like in a few years the opinions on Omar will have completely flipped. The opinions on AOC have completely changed since she won her primary and many here disliked her.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority on Drone Strikes, as I don't see anything inherently wrong with them versus air strikes. They are far better then air strikes, as there is a degree of visual confirmation before the strike.
There is however an issue with Drone Strikes versus Troops Strikes, but it's atypical. The risk to human lives is lopsided with a drone strike, it makes it easier for a degree of separation and dehumanizing of the situation and eliminates a chance of surrender. Drone Strikes are a tool like any other in a military operation, but is open to easier abuse.

However, having this conversation started by comparing Trump to Obama is possibly the worst way to go about it.

I would counter this a bit by pointing out that while drone strikes are able to avoid far more invasive measures and could be used to quite great effect in minimizing collateral damage in practice that hasn't necessarily been the case.

Mostly, I take issue with double taps, which should absolutely be illegal under international law. I assume you already know about them, but just in case you don't and also for anyone else reading who might not, our long policy behind drone strikes is to hit once, wait until people rush toward the scene, and then hit again.

This is done under the auspices that anyone going toward the strike area must also be terrorists or other ne'er-do-wells and thus the policy presents an ad-hoc proviso that all of those people count as enemy combatants. Except, in many cases the people rushing toward the scene are those attempting to aid people who have just been maimed or killed, and that can and often does include medical professionals or other innocents who are simply acting as human beings.

Our drone strikes create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Were you hit by a drone strike? Then you must be an enemy!

To say nothing of the incredibly high number of incidents of weddings being bombed.

I do think drone strikes present a far better form of warfare, but that hinges on two assumptions - 1) that their use is justified in the first place by being at war, and that 2) their use is incredibly surgical and strategic, rather than how we have been using them.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel that people that think Omar's 2nd statement was a gaffe have not even watched the video at all of what she was saying and are just looking for a reason to attack her.

It's funny because I feel like in a few years the opinions on Omar will have completely flipped. The opinions on AOC have completely changed since she won her primary and many here disliked her.
The comments against her here will certainly not age well.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't think that a black woman whose country has been damaged by imperialist policies of Western countries won't have a particular concern about how the U.S. conducts itself as a part of its attempts to preserve its own hegemony by bombing mostly brown- and black countries like hers, then maybe you should talk to more black and brown immigrants.

And the idea that the U.S., as part of a UN directive, helped her to immigrate must mean something important or must have some sway here, as I believe that you might be implying, is silly. She might not have had to leave her birthplace at all were it not for centuries of Western interventionism in the first place! The U.S. doesn't get a cookie for placing the bandage of UN-backed intervention for Omar over a gaping wound.
But Somalia is not Afghanistan which is not Iraq, etc. etc. They're not the same countries, they're not the same circumstances, and war in general is declining massively as we enter our interconnected age. I'm not trying to absolve the US, but conflating all these things together makes them impossible to discuss when they're put into a binary framing that oversimplifies things.
Okay lets be honest here. The only reason we never invaded Russia is because everyone who has invaded russia runs into russian winters and loses. We would rather Force Russia to collapse and Quarenteen them until they decide to act right.
I mean, that and the nukes, aka a big reason policy towards Pakistan wasn't harsher re: Al-Qaeda.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
But Somalia is not Afghanistan which is not Iraq, etc. etc. They're not the same countries, they're not the same circumstances, and war in general is declining massively as we enter our interconnected age. I'm not trying to absolve the US, but conflating all these things together makes them impossible to discuss when they're put into a binary framing that oversimplifies things.

I mean, that and the nukes, aka a big reason policy towards Pakistan wasn't harsher re: Al-Qaeda.

True but that does't stop us from going Black ops in their country when we can.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for this. As a Pakistani immigrant, it was so difficult trying to form a consistent world view all my life when I grew through my teenage years in a post 9-11 world seeing brown countries getting destroyed by the country I love and eventually became a citizen of. Her words speak to me...

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when you take ironic brand shitposting online too seriously.

Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reason—much of this was the result of injustice! Managing a brand is not so different from caring for someone who becomes handicapped. Brands do not see or hear, so they are at the mercy of their owners or care providers who must preserve the dignity and special character that the brand exemplifies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this. As a Pakistani immigrant, it was so difficult trying to form a consistent world view all my life when I grew through my teenage years in a post 9-11 world seeing brown countries getting destroyed by the country I love and eventually became a citizen of. Her words speak to me...
Growing up as a US Citizen born in the 80's. I saw the US repel Iraq's forces from Kuwait. I also saw the WTC towers fall while in high school, and then had to wait in line at the phone booth behind a bunch of other kids who were calling their parents to make sure they were OK after the pentagon plane hit. I saw us invade Afghanistan directly as a result of that incident. I then saw Bush Jr. and the guys who Bush Sr. vetoed in the Gulf War treat it like an afterthought when they went and lied their asses off overruling the CIA to go invade a country for a number of incredibly stupid and petty reasons. I watched in horror as their long-laid plans steamrolled over common sense in my college cafeteria filling me with dread as the horror show of idiocracy continued its slow march forward. And in the wake of those actions, the exact things I expected to happen happen- they destabilized an entire country and region while leaving Afghanistan to rot instead of actively helping to rebuild it.

I am very much not uncritical of US foreign policy. But I can't see this as a deliberate pattern of trying to actively destroy those countries through sustained deliberate actions when the circumstances are so different, especially in the post-Communist age.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/07/running-with-beto-orourke-documentary-first-look/amp/

Clip from the Beto documentary coming to HBO in May after getting a showing at SXSW this weekend. Speaking of SXSW, would be a cool way to announce a presidential run if he's there ;)
Save us from the terrible democratic field, King!

SXSW announcement, followed by the HBO hype machine of this documentary will be quite the boost.

First candidate I'll ever donate to. :'(

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As a *white* immigrant who came here by choice, the way all immigrants are being treated has given me more empathy for other immigrants than it has for natural born citizens. Some are clearly more fucked over than others, but we're all fucked over.

I stand to lose the ability to naturalize if my wife or I ever need to draw benefits just the same as anyone else. Policy like that may be pushed for racist reasons, but it applies evenly.

Politicians group us all together every time they talk about immigrants. I'm sure I'd feel even more kinship if I looked like Omar and had a similar story.

That said, back in Longsight, I couldn't walk down the street without seeing someone who looked just like Omar. So she reminds even this white guy of a home he left behind. I see a neighbor. A friendly face.

Maybe she's an anti-Semite. I'm not personally convinced, but I do think there's enough evidence for people to draw that conclusion. But yeah. I see a brave woman of color sticking her neck way out on a clear freedom of speech issue that far too few people had been talking about and being shat all over for it.

She is being beaten down over and over and she still stands up. I really hope I'm not wrong about her, because right now I can't feel much other than admiration. She fucked up badly with the benjamins comment. Calls for her to apologize were fair, and indeed she did. But she wasn't going to drop this issue.

Nor should she.

It's more worrying to me that so few are standing up to oppose these clearly unconstitutional anti-bds laws. But then I was already appalled by them before Omar was even a representative.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take Manning defenders too seriously when I see folks in my Twitter feed using her case to propose abolishing prison entirely. She's really warped some people into taking wild stances. THIS is the hill you want to both build and die on?

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
The reductionism of foreign policy events spanning decades and contintents to "kill brown people" is incredibly frustrating because it boils down complex issues into a singular point that isn't very useful for discussing any of the individual circumstances or issues.

Fair enough.

The only way American presidents don't kill anybody is if America retreats entirely from the world stage. At which time they'd be replaced by China and Russia.

It's impossible to live in a world where this doesn't happen, even indirectly - Trump is supporting the murder of journalists by covering for Saudi Arabia

I don't want to be too hard on Obama for multiple reasons, one of them being that he was working against unprecedented obstruction and another being that I feel in retrospect that maybe I projected things on him that I wanted him to be because he was the first PoC to reach that office. Obama was able to get as far as he did by being as milquetoast as possible but it's like some of us wanted him to be this black superhero that he never wanted to be.

This conversation is so frustrating because... it just feels like everyone, myself included, is just kind of running the same script depending on where in the overton window we want to be? "I'm an idealist, I refuse to accept that a president trying hard couldn't create a perfect foreign policy, if he wanted to." "I'm a realist, and I recognize the constraints on the president's power both domestic and foreign make a perfect foreign policy an impossibility." Which is all well and good when you're discussing generalities, but I feel like we'd be making very similar arguments, made by the exact same people, whether the Overton Window was trying to figure out "Should we conquer Venezuela and steal their oil?" or "Should we make aerial bombardment illegal as a matter of international law?" And it becomes much more about the relative positions than where the Overton Window should be in the first place.

I don't mean to pick on you, Greg NYC3, but I keep seeing people bringing up obstructionists in regards to the drone issue, and I can't figure out why. A President's power is nearly unlimited to shape foreign policy as he wants, both constitutionally and by custom. If you're trying to make a hard 180 degree turn like Trump in dismantling the entire liberal international order, yeah, the generals and the civil service are going to start putting up a fight, but otherwise? You're golden. I don't blame Obama for delivering an Obamacare without a public option, or for failing to get cap and trade passed, for precisely this reason. But drones? Not a single one of those fires without the President's say-so, delegated or otherwise.

So, here's my pitch for why drones are different: Obama was the first leader in world history to have access to them. To the extent that people think there are domestic and bureaucratic restraints on how the President can act here, there was no existing drone doctrine he would have to overthrow to implement something. There were no entrenched interests relying on government contracts for drone production. He was writing on a blank slate. And no one, in the history of the world, is ever going to have that blank slate again. Precedent matters, and norms matter, even in the anarchic field of international relations. You never get a second chance to be the first to establish norms around the usage of new and unique weapons.

What precedents did Obama set? That national sovereignty did not matter, in ordering drone strikes. That the nation ordering drone strikes need not provide a formal declaration of war, or even let anyone domestically know that these strikes were occurring. That the global hegemon should be able to kill the citizens of weaker countries indiscriminately. And that not even citizenship in the global hegemon protected someone from being killed, or entitled them to due process protections.

It is hard to imagine a drone policy more maximally terrible than the one Barack Obama adopted. Perhaps an international agreement banning their use in anything but declared war is impractical, though I think we still should have attempted it. But it is not hard to make Obama's policy, on the margins, more humane and more just. Obama did not seek a compromise between two poles, he ran so far to the right that he's practically out of bounds. The effects of his carelessness will long outlive him, and probably outlive any of us. In the short term, it means more bloodshed in the middle east. In the long term, it makes whoever comes after America as the global hegemon more dangerous.

Pardon the florid language, but murder robots are being dispatched to neutral countries, slaughtering a whole bunch of people, and we claim victory because everyone within a certain distance from our target is defined to be an enemy combatant. Drones would be a ridiculous reductio ad absurdum argument against Bush's cowboy diplomacy if they weren't very real.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, here's my pitch for why drones are different: Obama was the first leader in world history to have access to them. To the extent that people think there are domestic and bureaucratic restraints on how the President can act here, there was no existing drone doctrine he would have to overthrow to implement something. There were no entrenched interests relying on government contracts for drone production. He was writing on a blank slate. And no one, in the history of the world, is ever going to have that blank slate again. Precedent matters, and norms matter, even in the anarchic field of international relations. You never get a second chance to be the first to establish norms around the usage of new and unique weapons.
Bush definitely had access to them and used them, they were not an Obama invention.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
As a *white* immigrant who came here by choice, the way all immigrants are being treated has given me more empathy for other immigrants than it has for natural born citizens. Some are clearly more fucked over than others, but we're all fucked over.

I stand to lose the ability to naturalize if my wife or I ever need to draw benefits just the same as anyone else. Policy like that may be pushed for racist reasons, but it applies evenly.

Politicians group us all together every time they talk about immigrants. I'm sure I'd feel even more kinship if I looked like Omar and had a similar story.

That said, back in Longsight, I couldn't walk down the street without seeing someone who looked just like Omar. So she reminds even this white guy of a home he left behind. I see a neighbor. A friendly face.

Maybe she's an anti-Semite. I'm not personally convinced, but I do think there's enough evidence for people to draw that conclusion. But yeah. I see a brave woman of color sticking her neck way out on a clear freedom of speech issue that far too few people had been talking about and being shat all over for it.

She is being beaten down over and over and she still stands up. I really hope I'm not wrong about her, because right now I can't feel much other than admiration. She fucked up badly with the benjamins comment. Calls for her to apologize were fair, and indeed she did. But she wasn't going to drop this issue.

Nor should she.

It's more worrying to me that so few are standing up to oppose these clearly unconstitutional anti-bds laws. But then I was already appalled by them before Omar was even a representative.
Well said.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
I can't take Manning defenders too seriously when I see folks in my Twitter feed using her case to propose abolishing prison entirely. She's really warped some people into taking wild stances. THIS is the hill you want to both build and die on?

Manning still has defenders? Wow, what factions has she not alienated at this point?

Oct 30, 2017
Partly it's just the narrative satisfaction of the plot twist - the hunted turned hunter. But where it's clever is the way it wraps the Trump Org and the Trump family in something of a dilemma, because the available defences are few:
1) that the (criminal) work Cohen did was not in the course of his employment - but there are cheques and recordings and Weisselberg's testimony that say otherwise
2) that the (criminal) work Cohen did was not while he was employed by the Trump org, but the dates on cheques say otherwise
3) that the indemnity is not enforceable because it was a criminal conspiracy. Which is one heck of an admission!
4) (partial defence) that Cohen's criminal activity was only partly to do with the Trump Org, so they're not liable for all of it. Still a heck of an admission, and not all that effective since it was Stormy Daniels the whole way down.

Also Weisselberg has, and the Trumps don't have, immunity from prosecution in this area.

The Trumps won't want it to come to court so they'll try to settle and slap an NDA on it. Cohen is totally aware of the tactics here since it is what he used to do for them, and is not likely to be bullied into anything. Discovery would be particularly juicy.

Excellent! Thank you for the rundown. That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.