• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
What's the thing with Trump and his whole refusal to say "democratic". It's the "democrat party".. the "Democrat primary"

Like normally when he's memeing I get what he's doing but ...I don't actually get it this time. He even said it's a way to delegitimize his opposition but.. how?

What does taking off the ic do? If you want to slander why not say DemoRat.. just take out one more C. At least that works

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
What's the thing with Trump and his whole refusal to say "democratic". It's the "democrat party".. the "Democrat primary"

Like it's one of the only things about him I don't actually get. He even said it's a way to delegitimize his opposition but.. how? I don't get it

What does taking off the ic do? If you want to slander why not say DemoRat.. just take out one more C. At least that works

it's this bit of petty stupidity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
OK it's late and I can't sleep so if you could wave a wand and add amendments to the constitution what would they be?

At bare minimum:

28th Amendment: Abolishment of the Electoral College; President determined by national popular vote

29th Amendment: Nationalized voting system which includes a paper trail and unlimited resources for election integrity and security; protections against egregious state laws and initiatives that depress voter turnout; US Presidential and Midterm Elections are declared as a national holiday

30th Amendment: Strict and defined limits on how much corporations, unions, non-profits and individuals can contribute to elections

31st Amendment: Nationalized Health Insurance Program for all citizens of the US

32nd Amendment: Full repeal of the 2nd Amendment; no citizens are permitted to own a firearm of any type

33rd Amendment: Protects a woman's right to choose

34th Amendment: Abolishment of slavery and involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime

35th Amendment: House terms increased from 2 years to 4 years

36th Amendment: Gerrymandering ban

37th Amendment: Fairness doctrine applies to all forms of news and news opinion media, be it in print, digital, televised, radio, etc.

38th Amendment: Marginal tax rate on the highest earners in the US (% is debatable but we need this)

39th Amendment: Taxation of religious institutions that engage in political activity

40th Amendment: Net Neutrality (but with restrictions for unlawful content, hate speech etc)

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Let's run Meat Loaf for Texas senate

I want to beat Cornyn

And beat Cruz

And to flip the stat against Trump and turn it blue

And I won't be sad, because two out of three wouldn't be bad

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Let's run Meat Loaf for Texas senate

I want to beat Cornyn

And beat Cruz

And to flip the stat against Trump and turn it blue

And I won't be sad, because two out of three wouldn't be bad

I kinda doubt the guy who endorsed Romney in 2012, donated to McCain and Santorum in 08, and attended Bush 43's inauguration would flip the state the way you think.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
OK it's late and I can't sleep so if you could wave a wand and add amendments to the constitution what would they be?

At bare minimum:

28th Amendment: Abolishment of the Electoral College; President determined by national popular vote

29th Amendment: Nationalized voting system which includes a paper trail and unlimited resources for election integrity and security; protections against egregious state laws and initiatives that depress voter turnout; US Presidential and Midterm Elections are declared as a national holiday

30th Amendment: Strict and defined limits on how much corporations, unions, non-profits and individuals can contribute to elections

31st Amendment: Nationalized Health Insurance Program for all citizens of the US

32nd Amendment: Full repeal of the 2nd Amendment; no citizens are permitted to own a firearm of any type

34th Amendment: Abolishment of slavery and involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime

37th Amendment: Fairness doctrine applies to all forms of news and news opinion media, be it in print, digital, televised, radio, etc.

38th Amendment: Marginal tax rate on the highest earners in the US (% is debatable but we need this)

39th Amendment: Taxation of religious institutions that engage in political activity

40th Amendment: Net Neutrality (but with restrictions for unlawful content, hate speech etc)

I'd be all for it. It'll be the only way that America can truly be back to normal.

And also: Everyone who's running for president must have political experience.

And do a complete campaign finance reform.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda doubt the guy who endorsed Romney in 2012, donated to McCain and Santorum in 08, and attended Bush 43's inauguration would flip the state the way you think.
I know he wouldn't and seems to be conservative but ran with the joke anyway

Bored and trying to think of celebrities born in Texas

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

At bare minimum:

You're missing a couple.

41st Amendment: Full disclosure of monetary assets and tax records by all political candidates. You want to run? You better disclose everything and be ready for your finances to be examined with a fine tooth comb.

42nd Amendment: Full divestment from business ties by all political and government officials

43rd Amendment: At minimum a five year waiting period before former government officials can act as lobbyists

44th Amendment: An outright ban on lobbyists being able to hold office.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Do you like your primaries voting system ?
It sounds... complicated ? If I got this right there are bigger and bigger conventions with fewer and fewer voters to nominate the candidate.

In France it's generally pretty simple, a two-round system on a national level and that's it. Obviously we are a way smaller, non-federal State, but it *seems* way more fair.

That said we always end up with joke candidates so I'm not sure.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Do you like your primaries voting system ?
It sounds... complicated ? If I got this right there are bigger and bigger conventions with fewer and fewer voters to nominate the candidate.

In France it's generally pretty simple, a two-round system on a national level and that's it. Obviously we are a way smaller, non-federal State, but it *seems* way more fair.

That said we always end up with joke candidates so I'm not sure.
It is obscenely complicated, but it's what happens when there's no official head of the political party not in power. That sort of thing goes on behind the scenes in most countries. The difference here is that there's no national primary day, and each state votes ... at whatever arbitrary time they've decided they want to vote. It's horribly convoluted.

You can think of our primary system being a loose equivalent of our lousy electoral college, just within each party + states vote across several months. It's long, exhausting, and expensive. One vague benefit of this is that the eventual nominee can end up using the infrastructure they built in each state for the primary in the general election later, as in they have resources and staff, etc. The unique format does result in some awesome political drama though! Obama vs Clinton 2008 was quite the show.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I notice how there's nothing enshrining the rights of minorities in any of the amendments that are being proposed.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It is obscenely complicated, but it's what happens when there's no official head of the political party not in power. That sort of thing goes on behind the scenes in most countries. The difference here is that there's no national primary day, and each state votes ... at whatever arbitrary time they've decided they want to vote. It's horribly convoluted.

You can think of our primary system being a loose equivalent of our lousy electoral college, just within each party + states vote across several months. It's long, exhausting, and expensive. One vague benefit of this is that the eventual nominee can end up using the infrastructure they built in each state for the primary in the general election later, as in they have resources and staff, etc. The unique format does result in some awesome political drama though! Obama vs Clinton 2008 was quite the show.

It's cheaper for campaigns to do it state by state instead of nationally. If it were national, you'd have to rely on name recognition, resume, and very spread out ad campaigns. With it in just one state, your on foot campaigning goes a lot further, and allows people to have a better sense what you're like.

It's like the only thing in our entire system that favors the underdog.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jennifer Jacobs @JenniferJJacobs

Melania Trump, returning to the White House at 11:30p—after a day that could have been about a president focusing on gun violence victims and those who aided them, but was instead about a president heckling his detractors—wore dark sunglasses.

(AP photo)

47DGGYf.jpg

5:41 AM - Aug 8, 2019

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

It was literally a blur yall.
<3<3

We've had the tools to shine a light on these roaches this whole time and haven't really been utilizing them. So many of these people think they can escape notice while supporting fascism.

^ more moments like this should be happening. As a society we should be sweating these people.

"I'm not a racist, I'm just a soulless grifter with no empathy!"
Tolerating racism for tax cuts has been Republican orthodoxy for decades. I guess now Trump makes it a little more explicit.
1000%.

These people are fucking sadists. All of these people should be in jail.

The balls of steel on these survivors. Bless them.
Jesus Christ he looks horrible in this pic.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe contentious opinion.
I may be wrong.

But I think Medicare for All that expressly eliminates people's private insurance is an election loser.

Likewise other positions that are being taken in the primary to attract the activist donor Twitter-sphere.

The only reason people "like" their employer's health insurance because they're insured and won't be penalized while filing taxes. I don't because I don't get the same benefits as a part timer.

Even then if I was insured I would still pay over $700 in my medical bill because the insurance my job offer would only cover 75% of it. Me being just paying over $1000 on bills a month, that's not gonna fly for me.

With Bernie, his plan will cover more than what Canada and UK offers eliminating the need for private insurance.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The only reason people "like" their employer's health insurance because they're insured and won't be penalized while filing taxes. I don't because I don't get the same benefits as a part timer.

Even then if I was insured I would still pay over $700 in my medical bill because the insurance my job offer would only cover 75% of it. Me being just paying over $1000 on bills a month, that's not gonna fly for me.

With Bernie, his plan will cover more than what Canada and UK offers eliminating the need for private insurance.

That doesn't matter. People don't like sudden change and they certainly won't like the *massive* increase in payroll taxes needed to finance these plans. I pay upwards of 45% in tax on an average salary for all my social benefits here and I still get private insurance benefits on top.

People don't think long term. You're not going to get day-1 buy-in.

Even if you're going to eliminate private insurance, do it when in office, don't campaign on it.

Edit: also Bernie offering more than Canada and the UK should be setting off alarm bells.

Last edited:

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Eliminating private insurance is a sure way to lose in 2020. A public option that proves itself to be better than private will starve private in a (hopefully) short term as people increasingly switch over. Employers would also gladly ditch their offerings as well, I imagine most don't like dealing with it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
That doesn't matter. People don't like sudden change and they certainly won't like the *massive* increase in payroll taxes needed to finance these plans. I pay upwards of 45% in tax on an average salary for all my social benefits here and I still get private insurance benefits on top.

People don't think long term. You're not going to get day-1 buy-in.

Even if you're going to eliminate private insurance, do it when in office, don't campaign on it.
Trump and the Republicans campaigned on repealing and replacing the ACA. And their voters, didn't believe that and look what happened.

Bernie is campaigning on expanding medicare coverage to everyone while the Media and Biden are painting him as a Republican.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Trump and the Republicans campaigned on repealing and replacing the ACA. And their voters, didn't believe that and look what happened.

Bernie is campaigning on expanding medicare coverage to everyone while the Media and Biden are painting him as a Republican.

...what? What media is smearing Bernie as a republican?

And Bernie will need to massively raise taxes, he can't dodge that question. I'm not even sure what you're arguing, that Bernie voters don't believe he'd actually repeal private insurance?

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're missing a couple.

41st Amendment: Full disclosure of monetary assets and tax records by all political candidates. You want to run? You better disclose everything and be ready for your finances to be examined with a fine tooth comb.

42nd Amendment: Full divestment from business ties by all political and government officials

43rd Amendment: At minimum a five year waiting period before former government officials can act as lobbyists

44th Amendment: An outright ban on lobbyists being able to hold office.
Change 43 to banning lobbying and remove 44.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...what? What media is smearing Bernie as a republican?

And Bernie will need to massively raise taxes, he can't dodge that question. I'm not even sure what you're arguing, that Bernie voters don't believe he'd actually repeal private insurance?
He can't. Anyone who believes he can is foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.