Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Now that things are *finally* getting underway, you'll all get to enjoy this staying in the headlines for weeks and months.

All that pain about the Mueller report going under reported? Wave good bye to it. Will it shift needles? That's a totally different question, but it sure as shit won't drop out of the news. No wads have been blown. Up to this point it's been foreplay.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

White House Press Sec. Grisham: Democrats continue to weaponize politics when they should be working on behalf of their constituents, which is nothing new. Pres. Trump is working hard on behalf of our country here in NYC while they continue to scream the word impeachment.

"working hard"

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm fucking amped up guys. Just yesterday I was feeling deflated and overwhelmed. Now I'm pumped and ready to get on the campaign trail again. I have a dinner date tonight with my wife, but it's going to be hard to pull myself away from the news. All I want is to get a big bag of popcorn, park myself in front of the TV, read the WP and NYT, and inundate myself with this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Katy Tur was on the Trump campaign trail for months, and was mocked incessantly by Trump and the campaign for it. She saw him rise to the Presidency, and even warned people it was happening when people thought it wasn't possible.

I think it's a fair question to pose, in the context of a single day isolated from anything else, and a defense team that doesn't seem to know what they're in for.

In the context of the preceding months of impeachment-level congressional activities (and yes that has been what has been going on, the impeachment inquiry isn't suddenly going to begin at 5 pm EDT, it's been happening already), it is a no good very bad day indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because if the transcript is literally just like "AND HOW ARE YOU? LOVELY WEATHER WE'RE HAVING" no one is going to believe it, so they're gonna have to make sure it looks *kinda* shitty even if they're still hiding shit

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm not saying Era is running slow, I'm saying it's using up several megs of cell data every time I refresh.

You know what the cops who investigate Inherent Contempt are called?
images
😵

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Donald Trump entered the White House uniquely vulnerable to impeachment, the owner of an opaque web of private companies who obtained the office through criminal and corrupt means. Over the next two and a half years he piled increasingly brazen offenses on to that bill of particulars, emboldened at each juncture by Congresses—one Republican, one Democrat—that were determined for different reasons not to set an impeachment process in motion.
In the days after Special Counsel Robert Mueller produced a report showing Trump encouraged and expected to benefit from a foreign attack on the 2016 election, then abused his powers of office to obstruct the ensuing investigation, one of the few Democrats who recognized that taking impeachment off the table would create an unacceptable level of moral hazard was Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA). She warned, "If Donald Trump can do all that he tried to do to impede an investigation into his own wrongdoing and an attack by a foreign government," and Congress takes no action, "then it gives license to the next president, and the next president, and the next president to do the same thing."

The only thing her analysis missed is that Congress's inaction also gave Donald Trumplicense to commit the same crimes all over again, this time with the awesome powers of the presidency at his fingertips.

And that is exactly what happened.
We have luckily escaped the worst, but Democrats still incurred real opportunity costs by ducking Mueller's referral. It is probably no coincidence that Trump involved himself directly in the Ukraine extortion scheme the day after Mueller's valedictory testimony to Congress, when it was clear Democratic leaders remained intractably opposed to impeachment. Had they treated the report with the seriousness it deserved, and unified their caucus behind impeachment, they might have discouraged Trump from inviting another foreign power to interfere in our election. Alternatively, he would have been undeterred, and the Ukraine scandal would have come to light amid a full-throttle impeachment inquiry.

And it's not as though Trump's recent conduct is so different from his past offenses that the case for impeachment has changed dramatically. To the contrary, the arguments now prevailing are the very same ones impeachment supporters have been screaming themselves hoarse about for months—since before Democrats won back the House: That impeachment is the only way for Congress to alert the public to the seriousness of the threat Trump poses, and deny his enablers veto power over accountability; that it's the only way to force all Republicans to vote on whether they think Trump's crimes are acceptable; that a president who faces no consequences for law breaking will eventually discover that an election is nothing but a patchwork of laws, and begin to break them.
We should encourage and applaud the Democrats now joining the fight, but we should also reflect on what it means that they are poised to impeach Trump for engaging in the same kind of wrongdoing they were once content to let slide. Trump won't be the last president to commit impeachable offenses, but he should be the last one given carte blanche to do so until the foundations of the republic begin to tremble.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the whistleblower was Bolton. Because it would spawn so, so many pro wrestling .gifs.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Seriously everyone, it's happening. With the number of news networks and papers confirming the story, and with the specific people who have come forwards in support of impeachment in the last week or so.

It's happening. I know we haven't got the official announcement yet.

But it's really happening.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Where's all the fucking 'nothing will ever happen' people? Because they are straight up trash with their incessant driveby shitposting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the whistleblower was Bolton. Because it would spawn so, so many pro wrestling .gifs.
It's almost definitely some lower-level NSC staffer, but the idea of the national security adviser launching a whistleblower complaint about the president that led to his impeachment would just be an insane thing to process.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
also, it's hilarious that Tulsi chose the day when impeachment is formally announced -- and as dozens of far more endangered House Dems came out in support of it -- to reaffirm her opposition to impeachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.