Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wow some of the freaking out I'm seeing on social media from people who are against Trump are maddening.

'THE DEMOCRATS WON'T DO A REAL INVESTIGATION BECAUSE IT ISN'T IN THEIR INTEREST'.
'THIS HAS HANDED TRUMP REELECTION NEXT YEAR. WHEN THE SENATE VOTE NOT TO CONVICT TRUMP IS CLEARED OF WRONG DOING AND CAN RUN ON BEING EXONERATED.'

Errr. No.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

This is an interesting angle. I'm not sure it's a good one for the GOP. Biden likely doesn't have the right nor the actual transcripts to do so.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
For those that are all "This is the thing?!" the thing to keep in mind....this is interference WHILE he is president. Not before. It's not candidate Trump. It's President Trump. It's also fucking blatant, it's documented contemporaneously. It's also black and white. He either did it or he didn't do it. He has direct involvement. It's not a wink wink nudge nudge thing. And while the obstruction was also while President, it was also related to the thing that happened before he was President. Plus, this is just sooooooooo obviously corrupt and simple. There's no real ambiguity on this.

He's gonna lose his shit daily.
I live.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Another key thing to keep in mind, is that the Democrats get to define how narrow or broad to make this. This isn't like the Mueller report or the Kavanaugh investigation. They dictate the areas they look into, and I expect it's going to include at the very least obstruction of justice with regards to the Russia investigation, emoluments clause infractions and the whistleblower cover up (and whatever wrong doing it may encompass).

I doubt they'll go into unpresidential shit like being openly racist (though they might).

And yeah, as others have pointed out, Trump is going to lose his shit over this, and will need discipline he has never demonstrated to avoid breaking further laws.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
ikIGiVu.png

This is a good day

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
For those that are all "This is the thing?!" the thing to keep in mind....this is interference WHILE he is president. Not before. It's not candidate Trump. It's President Trump. It's also fucking blatant, it's documented contemporaneously. It's also black and white. He either did it or he didn't do it. He has direct involvement. It's not a wink wink nudge nudge thing. And while the obstruction was also while President, it was also related to the thing that happened before he was President. Plus, this is just sooooooooo obviously corrupt and simple. There's no real ambiguity on this.

I live.

Because he is committing crimes daily. Unopposed.

Thats why "this is the thing?!?" is here. But it will be taken, along side ALL THE OTHER SHIT. If its just this? Trump will wiggle out of it because he speaks in code. Enough to grey the single issue, and wrap the whole thing up.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

I live.

I think this is an important point, but this was also true of the Comey firing and that was just months into his presidency.

EDIT: Granted, we didn't have the house then.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Believe me. I have had some great steaks. My husband has been trying to get me to change for years. He's finally just mostly given up, and I'm forbidden to order steak when we go out to a nice place. :/

Nice places actually don't mind when people order steaks well done because it allows them to get rid of their inferior cuts that they otherwise can't serve to people with better taste. If not for people like you they'd have to just throw them out and lose the money the spent on them.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

At this point, the counter is meaningless.

If a vote were to be held today, no one would dare vote against it... Too much momentum now, way too much of a risk to resist.

It's happening. Apparently against the wishes of Madam Speaker, but at least we're finally here. The Congress is doing its job.

If nobody in the Senate fought it, the transcript has to be pretty harmless, no?

It's either this or devastating.

If Mitch is allowing this through, I'm concerned to be honest.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Believe me. I have had some great steaks. My husband has been trying to get me to change for years. He's finally just mostly given up, and I'm forbidden to order steak when we go out to a nice place. :/
It would definitely be embarrassing :\ My uncle orders his steak "a la Trump" like that and you can practically feel the contempt radiating off the staff when he asks for his ruined meat and child's condiment

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Because he is committing crimes daily. Unopposed.

Thats why "this is the thing?!?" is here. But it will be taken, along side ALL THE OTHER SHIT. If its just this? Trump will wiggle out of it because he speaks in code. Enough to grey the single issue, and wrap the whole thing up.
I mean, the thing is, he's wiggling out of it anyway because he's not going to be convicted by the Senate. So, yes, they'll include everything--hence why Pelosi is probably leaving it to the individual committees to come up with their impeachment information. He can have multiple charges against him during the impeachment. However, this isn't an actual impeachment in that we have a chance to get a conviction. Instead, it's a purely political thing. So, having something that is blatant, easy to sell, easy to understand, and can be tied to literally everything else IS definitively the straw that breaks the camels back.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Although, thinking further, if the IG thought the transcript contained illegal activity... It probably did.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Neal Katyal, the legal person I trust most on this stuff, just agreed with those more moderate Dems who are calling for this impeachment inquiry to be laser focused on only the Ukraine stuff and not broadly on everything.

That's pretty disappointing, but understandable. This whistleblower needs to really come through for us, though.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean, the thing is, he's wiggling out of it anyway because he's not going to be convicted by the Senate. So, yes, they'll include everything--hence why Pelosi is probably leaving it to the individual committees to come up with their impeachment information. He can have multiple charges against him during the impeachment. However, this isn't an actual impeachment in that we have a chance to get a conviction. Instead, it's a purely political thing. So, having something that is blatant, easy to sell, easy to understand, and can be tied to literally everything else IS definitively the straw that breaks the camels back.

You say they'll include everything.. Tied to everything.
I'm not holding my breath. I hope this is how it alllll goes down.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think this is an important point, but this was also true of the Comey firing and that was just months into his presidency.

EDIT: Granted, we didn't have the house then.
BUt, even with the Comey firing, you can kinda mentally wiggle yourself into a position to say "Well, yes, he shouldn't have done that BUT there was no obstruction. There was no collusion." Legally that doesn't matter, of course, but politically/optically it does. A lot. Here, we literally have the orange fuckstick caught red handed, trying to do the thing we know he tried to do before/probably did before.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one time my friends took me to a Brazilian steak house, and when we sit down one says "I'm not that hungry" and the other asks a waiter "sorry do you have any well done meat" 😵😵😵

it was their idea to go!

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
The Senate thing has no actual teeth. The executive branch legally should have already passed these on to Congress. Will it force Trump's hand? Maybe. But it has no enforceable action.

Oct 25, 2017
Even Dumber Warren Harding was eventually going to commit an impeachable act that even the Blue Dogs and the party leadership couldn't ignore. He's never been punished for doing bad shit in his life, ever. It was only a matter of time.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Nice places actually don't mind when people order steaks well done because it allows them to get rid of their inferior cuts that they otherwise can't serve to people with better taste. If not for people like you they'd have to just throw them out and lose the money the spent on them.

Good for the restaurant, but you are the one eating the crappy cut of meat.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nobody in the Senate fought it, the transcript has to be pretty harmless, no?

They haven't seen it, but the White House has certainly told them that, sure. Makes no difference at this point. Trump has already admitted to the claims made in the media anyway

This is the sum of all of the Trump admin's obstruction and corruption, not just this one report. They should have turned over the report when Congress (and the law) demanded it

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This is all going way too smoothly and quickly for me to get excited. Past couple of years has just been waiting to hit the roadblock right around the blind corner. Either way lets go.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Having said that, I do think there is some political benefit to making the impeachment narrow in scope...PROVIDED this has the receipts we need. It makes it easier for the public to understand. You can tie the other stuff to it, but going to wide too MIGHT confuse people. We need it to be so simple even CNN can report it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Having said that, I do think there is some political benefit to making the impeachment narrow in scope...PROVIDED this has the receipts we need. It makes it easier for the public to understand. You can tie the other stuff to it, but going to wide too MIGHT confuse people. We need it to be so simple even CNN can report it.

How about they do their fucking job and hold the POTUS responsible for all of his crimes? When is a good week for the dead kids at the border? The fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.