Status
Not open for further replies.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Milestone. 200 days without a press briefing. Stephanie Grisham is a press sec who has never held one.

Joe Lockhart @joelockhart

Today would be a great day for a White House Briefing. But I've been saying that now for 200 days @PressSec

7:48 AM - Sep 27, 2019 · Queens, NY

Also a gif:
V08lONp.gif

Should cut in the eyes guy from pan's labyrinth here

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to sound like bothsidesism so to be clear: extorting allied nations by witholding military aid in exchange for fake dirt on a political opponent is disastrous for US national security and the obvious scandal everybody should focus on. Trump, not Biden, is the critical issue.

But WTF was Biden's son doing on the board of a foreign company that was key to US anti-corruption efforts in Ukraine under the Obama administration? How does that not present the appearance of nepotism and self-dealing? How do we know Ukraine wasn't like 'yikes, the US VP is putting the screws on us to clean up, better butter him up by offering a cushy seat to his son?'

I mean, people lower on the totem pole get refused security clearances because they have family members working in potential intelligence / law-enforcement targets. How is this different?

I'm genuinely curious... before I get eviscerated, I'm not saying that Hunter Biden 'is the real scandal' or any such nonsense, it's just something that lowers my opinion of Biden as a potential presidential candidate.
No, I agree. It definitely has the appearance of impropriety at the least, and is exactly the kind of "bad optics" that littered Hillary's record/history and allowed her to be so easily portrayed as the quintessential Corrupt Swamp Thing.

On top of that, I've worked in local government, and we're supposed to avoid even the appearance of conflicts of interest. So yeah, it really annoys me even when there's no proof of actual wrongdoing, because you'd think career government people like Clinton and Biden would know better and hold themselves to a higher standard.

And it's not like it's impossible. Obama never had a single thing stick despite a decade of relentless smearing, because he held himself and his team to high ethical standards. Not just to avoid wrongdoing, but to also avoid the appearance of wrongdoing.

Additionally, and this is not necessarily to say anything of Biden himself, but his family are fucking shitty people. Wasn't his son banging his dead son's widow within like a year of his brother's death? Then there's all of Biden's own groping and harassment... I've felt from the beginning that he'd be a fucking awful nominee in the general. There's more valid weaknesses to attack than pretty much all the other frontrunners combined. GE polling this far out is utterly useless so I don't care what polls say about Biden v Trump yet. Biden would get eaten alive.

Plan time!

Forma gonna make Congress smarter.

This is such a good and needed plan. Goes back to a lot of what AOC had talked about too when she gave her staffers raises.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Every day the govt voluntarily admits more of the crime, this is just incredible.

This WaPo editorial tries to make the argument that the whistleblower complaint isn't a big deal because the WH admitted to most of the allegations: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...wer-complaint-doesnt-do-democrats-any-favors/

"It's not a scandal or a crime if you tell everyone about it and don't act ashamed."

Looking at the constant on-air admissions, this looks to be the strategy.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

One clue may be his wife, Karen, known to the public mainly because the vice president refuses to meet alone with women other than her. Her influence seems significant. The cherry-red telephone on his desk as governor was a direct line to Karen, who maintained an office across the statehouse atrium but preferred phone conversations to avoid prying eyes. Karen, LoBianco reports, "was livid" at Trump's prurient comments in the "Access Hollywood" tape, but her husband concluded it was too late to drop off the ticket. On election night, 2016, Karen refused to kiss Pence. "You got what you wanted, Mike," she told him. "Leave me alone."
What he really wants is what almost every vice president wants — to be president. He hoped to run in 2016 and in fact even former President George W. Bush sent a message through intermediaries urging him to "please stop Trump and save the Republican Party." Instead, he joined Trump — selected, LoBianco concludes, because Trump figured the dry and ponderous Pence would not compete for airtime.
Apparently, Pence assumed that Trump would not run again in 2020, clearing the way for him. Now he is committed to waiting another four years until 2024, unless impeachment leads to an earlier exit by the president. Either way, he is linked inextricably to Trump as the nation studies the vice president to understand who he really is. For now, at least, he is not saying, and we are left to make what we can of the small clues.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
This WaPo editorial tries to make the argument that the whistleblower complaint isn't a big deal because the WH admitted to most of the allegations: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...wer-complaint-doesnt-do-democrats-any-favors/

"It's not a scandal or a crime if you tell everyone about it and don't act ashamed."

Looking at the constant on-air admissions, this looks to be the strategy.

Mr. Olsen is an opinion columnist for The Washington Post, where he writes daily pieces focusing on politics, populism, foreign affairs and American conservative thought. He is also the author of The Working Class Republican: Ronald Reagan and the Return of Blue-Collar Conservatism and The Four Faces of the Republican Party, co-authored with Dante Scala.

Just another lawless republican making excuses for a corrupt president.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm catching up but:
-SO glad someone gif'd that Rudy dance. WTF

Where do I even start...with the fact that the president doesn't know what a hyphen is or...the rest of this mess

Edit: adding one with a screenshot for when he inevitably deletes this.

There is no bottom with him, is there? But thankfully, this is officially ratio'd, which is an accomplishment with all of his bots.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
One clue may be his wife, Karen, known to the public mainly because the vice president refuses to meet alone with women other than her. Her influence seems significant. The cherry-red telephone on his desk as governor was a direct line to Karen, who maintained an office across the statehouse atrium but preferred phone conversations to avoid prying eyes. Karen, LoBianco reports, "was livid" at Trump's prurient comments in the "Access Hollywood" tape, but her husband concluded it was too late to drop off the ticket. On election night, 2016, Karen refused to kiss Pence. "You got what you wanted, Mike," she told him. "Leave me alone."
What he really wants is what almost every vice president wants — to be president. He hoped to run in 2016 and in fact even former President George W. Bush sent a message through intermediaries urging him to "please stop Trump and save the Republican Party." Instead, he joined Trump — selected, LoBianco concludes, because Trump figured the dry and ponderous Pence would not compete for airtime.
Apparently, Pence assumed that Trump would not run again in 2020, clearing the way for him. Now he is committed to waiting another four years until 2024, unless impeachment leads to an earlier exit by the president. Either way, he is linked inextricably to Trump as the nation studies the vice president to understand who he really is. For now, at least, he is not saying, and we are left to make what we can of the small clues.
I'm sure Trump is going to take this well.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
No no, I'm talking about the imaginary DNC server in Ukraine. Trump said server singular. The complaint says servers plural.

This has been highlighted to try and discredit the whistleblower. It's literally the best 'inaccuracy' in their version of events that Trump defenders have been able to come up with.

We should also recall that the "memo" aka transcript is autogeneration from voice ID. In my experience with this tech, plurality like added "s" is a problem.

And holy fucking shit at that Pence article. Fucking wow.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Trump may or may not be president past 2020 but I can tell you one thing I am sure of: Pence will not be his running mate past the Republican National Convention if not sooner.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I know the media is going to media, but I really fucking wish they would stop trying to humanize Pence. Someone as vehemently anti-LGBT as he is should not be humanized and marveled at and should not be anywhere near the presidency.

Karen Pence would essentially be running the show, and we know what kind of awful person she is.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
The CNN headline is misleading. They have it on background that the admin was using that classified server for call improperly but that's not an admission in any sense.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much where I'm at. Every phone call they wanted to lock up deserves scrutiny on the basis that they were afraid it'd leak.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Monica Alba @albamonica

11th tweet of the day on Ukraine https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177604833538392065 …
If that perfect phone call with the President of Ukraine Isn't considered appropriate, then no future President can EVER again speak to another foreign leader!​
11:27 AM - Sep 27, 2019

This is amazing. Shithole will be in pure panic for the next few weeks at minimum. Every day will be gold.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about in the primary. The field would only clear if Trump backed Pence and I could see him backing someone else just to spite him.
I don't think he'd back anybody in the primary. He hates backing losers so he'd probably wait until the GE for an endorsement. If he did win a second term, it would be a signal that his brand of politics works and most of the top primary candidates would be Trumpers so he wouldn't have to worry so much about having somebody win who worry l wouldn't support him. Regardless, I would rather not imagine a world where he wins reelection.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017

Pretty much where I'm at. Every phone call they wanted to lock up deserves scrutiny on the basis that they were afraid it'd leak.

This is a situation where I wish Trump was a little less corrupt lol. Would have been nice to just quickly impeach him just on the investigation ask alone. This could potentially open up a million cans of worms and drag this on for months.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Monica Alba @albamonica

11th tweet of the day on Ukraine https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177604833538392065 …
If that perfect phone call with the President of Ukraine Isn't considered appropriate, then no future President can EVER again speak to another foreign leader!​
11:27 AM - Sep 27, 2019

Almoat all presidents were never stupid enough to threaten a foreign country to dig up dirt on an opponent.

Why hasn't Scavino taken his phone?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
As I asked a few minutes ago here, is there actually a chance the right people will get their hands on those? Or will Trump's lackeys have destroyed them by now?
If they destroyed them, that only makes it clearer to the public how guilty he is. But it does feel like something that is likely to get tied up in court. Maybe this is one of those much-ballyhooed, possibly mythical situations in which an impeachment committee can be granted access more easily than a regular congressional committee.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Almoat all presidents were never stupid enough to threaten a foreign country to dig up dirt on an opponent.

Why hasn't Scavino taken his phone?

Reminder that Obama went out of his way to not publicly reveal the information the government had on the connections various people in Trump's circles had with Russia, and didn't reveal that the Russians were deliberately trying to help Trump, when he had every reason to do so for personal gain.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be ideal but couldn't a democratic president declassify those files? So I guess we'll know eventually?

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

I recommend checking this Majority Report show from 1:18:00 to 1:29:00, its a really interesting display of the type of supporters Bernie has. Jaime and Michael both are loyal bernie supporters but their approach is very different.

Because, while Jamie criticizes the bernie supporters that refuse to engage in criticism of their candidate, Michael is a lot more dismissive and seems to think that Warren is the only candidate with toxic supporters that lie and twist the facts. Like, at one point Jamie says "people think that Warren is better at talking about race than Bernie" and Michael dismisses that possibility instantly (which is something i actually agree with).

And Michael is generally a lot more respectful than some of the other bernie people, which says a lot. You can tell that Jamie realizes that the attitude of "well my candidate is obviously better so engaging in criticism isnt worth it" is just going to fuck Bernie over and stop him from having any chance of actually winning the nomination.

Michael has gone off the deep end and into full emotional meltdown mode now the bernie is faltering

shame, because I like him a lot

Oct 27, 2017
As I asked a few minutes ago here, is there actually a chance the right people will get their hands on those? Or will Trump's lackeys have destroyed them by now?

The IC jealously guards information.

If they were erasing shit, there are at least a couple other vaults this crap is stored in that can be leaked.

I suspect that the GOP is hearing from a lot of former spooks, that they don't want to engage in this war, for fear of what might tumble out

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Can someone answer...

I've seen talk of secret votes in the Senate to impeach? Is that actually a viable option? Is that normal practice?

I saw it mentioned that the WH took greater steps to protect call transcripts after the Australia one leaked, but iirc that was about 2 years earlier. If they started this process of top-top-secret for every call and maintained it since then, the talk of cover-up goes away? And then the "witch hunt" cries gain in volume. I'm guessing they did not do this, and the top-top-secret stuff was just the calls they knew were sounding guilty.

What does "Forma" mean in relation to Warren comments here?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Can someone answer...

I've seen talk of secret votes in the Senate to impeach? Is that actually a viable option? Is that normal practice?

I saw it mentioned that the WH took greater steps to protect call transcripts after the Australia one leaked, but iirc that was about 2 years earlier. If they started this process of top-top-secret for every call and maintained it since then, the talk of cover-up goes away? And then the "witch hunt" cries gain in volume. I'm guessing they did not do this, and the top-top-secret stuff was just the calls they knew were sounding guilty.

What does "Forma" mean in relation to Warren comments here?
No, they wouldn't be able to hold a secret vote. Such a thing would surely be unconstitutional - we need to know how our senators vote to hold them accountable. Possible you could see a mock secret ballot in the caucus though.

Warren used to have a Twitter handle "elizabethforma" as in Elizabeth For MA (Massachusetts) before she decided to run for president. So the Forma name stuck since people would post tweets from her account all the time.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, indeed, how do you report a crime when the witnesses won't do it themselves. How dare you. It should be illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.