Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is there like a succinct timeline of events written out from the initial Ukraine call to now? I'm still trying to piece it all together, like the whistleblower's relationship to the Ukraine information getting out there.

It's been both a long and short week.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Is there like a succinct timeline of events written out from the initial Ukraine call to now? I'm still trying to piece it all together, like the whistleblower's relationship to the Ukraine information getting out there.

It's been both a long and short week.

A Definitive Timeline Of The Trump-Ukraine Story (Talking Points Memo).

Not succinct but most complete and easy to read, with linked sourcing for everything. You can scroll down to this month for the latest developments. It's compiled from several other sources (WaPo, EmptyWheel and Justsecurity.)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To continue my metaphorical posting - Trump is the plane carrying the republican soccer team straight into the Andes.

One thing that is really notable is that most of the "faithful" who appeared on TV this week didn't even defend Trump's actions. They attacked leaks, attacked Schiff, deflected to Biden and his son, and so on. They didn't even claim that what Cheeto Hitler did was legal. Wow. That is tacit acknowledgement that the actions described in the (edited) call readout are illegal. Why? They're panicked and know that defending his actual actions could come back on them.

There are so many little clues out there if you look.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's interesting. From a purely electoral point of view, there's an argument that the best thing for the Dems is an impeached Trump who'd only been censured by the Senate, because that's the maximum point of fracture in the Republican party (and frankly if given the evidence chain this as straightforward as it appears to be, this is what I think will happen, the Senate will impeach but censure: which will be amusing as all those originalists used to believe the constitution did not allow for unsure, and to be fair you could certainly read it that way.) Any normal politician even one stupid enough to be in this position would happily accept the censure and go about their business. Trump won't, he'll lash out at the Senate and the GOP.

Of course, that ignores the best thing for the country (and the world) is almost certainly Cheeto getting slung out on his arse and criminal proceedings being launched the minute his arse is out of the door.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie would be a horrifically terrible executive, part #4252t64

The progressive consultant also said the campaign's internal politics were complicating efforts to broaden its appeal and forge alliances with outside grassroots groups.

"It's very confusing," the progressive consultant said of communications with the campaign. "I have talked to people that hear from all of them -- that hear from (senior adviser) Chuck Rocha, that hear from (senior adviser) Jeff Weaver and that hear from Faiz. But my understanding is that if you want to get to Bernie, it's not Faiz that you go through. It's Weaver or (deputy campaign manager) Ari Rabin-Havt."

For new groups only beginning to make sense of the progressive firmament, the process of sorting out the campaign hierarchy can be a turn-off -- especially when Warren's team has developed a reputation for proactively seeking out those less seasoned activists.

One of the senior Sanders aides conceded that the growing pains have been, at times, sharper than many expected. In 2016, the aide said, the absence at times of a coherent national operation meant that field staff had much more autonomy. The shakeup in New Hampshire, and lower level changes in Iowa, were largely instigated by internal arguments rooted in differing ideas about how to run a successful campaign without betraying the spirit of Sanders' first run.
----
It's interesting. From a purely electoral point of view, there's an argument that the best thing for the Dems is an impeached Trump who'd only been censured by the Senate, because that's the maximum point of fracture in the Republican party (and frankly if given the evidence chain this as straightforward as it appears to be, this is what I think will happen, the Senate will impeach but censure: which will be amusing as all those originalists used to believe the constitution did not allow for unsure, and to be fair you could certainly read it that way.) Any normal politician even one stupid enough to be in this position would happily accept the censure and go about their business. Trump won't, he'll lash out at the Senate and the GOP.

Of course, that ignores the best thing for the country (and the world) is almost certainly Cheeto getting slung out on his arse and criminal proceedings being launched the minute his arse is out of the door.
Pence is still fucking hated. You likely get weirdness if it's President Pelosi.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Not the Onion.
what's up with that paper? It looks like it is a 100 years old.

Pretty advanced for a caveman.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
As if not having a Pledge of Allegiance would be a bad thing anyway.

Creepy, unsettling cult shit from the Cold War era like forcing rooms full of children to chant a blood oath in unison to some fabric has no reason to still exist.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Here is a very good video I stumbled upon on YouTube of a lawyer breaking down this weeks events. It is very well done and worth a watch if you have the time.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The short and sweet of the Mueller probe is that it was never about getting Trump. Rosenstien appointed Mueller because if he didn't, the leadership at the FBI was going to tear itself apart going after Trump. Keeping the focus narrow and never letting Mueller actually dig deep enough to bring anyone down was the only way to keep McCabe from prosecuting Trump. Once McCabe was gone and Barr was brought in, Mueller submitted a report that Barr knew could only say "not guilty" or "not not guilty." It was to protect the FBI from itself and protect Trump from the FBI.

Seemed to me like Rosenstein appointed Mueller because he was fucking pissed about Trump throwing him under the bus on the Comey firing. You saw Rosenstein consistently attacked by the white house, republicans, and the right wing media for about 18 months, after that there was a huge shift and Rosenstein started doing damage control to try and salvage his republican reputation and we started hearing about him "landing the plane" and all that shit.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a very good video I stumbled upon on YouTube of a lawyer breaking down this weeks events. It is very well done and worth a watch if you have the time.

Legal Eagle is an absolutely amazing channel

Having a practicing professional lawyer break these things down is fantastic

I highly recommend this channel to everyone

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That some on the left were whining about impeachment because they wanted an airing of grievances and not because they wanted a chance at a knockout punch is..... really awful.

Like, yes, the chances are low that they boot him. But you have to fucking try. Because in trying you damage the GOP.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
That some on the left were whining about impeachment because they wanted an airing of grievances and not because they wanted a chance at a knockout punch is..... really awful.

Like, yes, the chances are low that they boot him. But you have to fucking try. Because in trying you damage the GOP.
They need to be reminded that this is impeachment, not festivus.

Last edited:

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm glad he's also calling out the insanity of unelected personal lawyer Giuliani conducting foreign and military policy on behalf of the United States. For some reason, news analysts keep ignoring that outrage in the middle of everything else.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Small comfort when we end up back here in 1, 4, or 8 (at best) years.

Maybe that's enough for you, but it isn't for me. The country showed itself for what it truly is, and simply punishing Trump and patting ourselves on the back for a job well done isn't going to wipe that away.
You inferred this was all the voters fault, but the only reason the majority weren't heard when it came to the executive branch is constitutional weirdness.

Most people didn't voted for Trump. More voters went for Clinton. Poll after poll shows the majority is still against him other than for a very brief few moments when his term began.

Yes the minority who support him is shockingly large but it's been evident for years that they aren't going to change their opinion on him now. It's that cult thing where you get trapped once you stay even a short while past the point it became obvious you should leave, because it's become too embarrassing to admit you saw all the evidence clearly showing the cult leader was full of shit.

But that doesn't mean the country or the voters bare full responsibility for Trump, or that the country deserves him.

But for the distribution of votes and hundreds of years of how states vote for president changing Trump wouldn't have won. The people who voted in 2016 aren't responsible for the messed up electoral voting system for president ending up biased in favor of the republican. This isn't like the intentional gerrymandering at the state district level.

I expect to be fighting the same elements for the rest of my life under one guise or another. I've made piece with that. Let's enjoy a week of good fortune when we can though.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he's also calling out the insanity of unelected personal lawyer Giuliani conducting foreign and military policy on behalf of the United States. For some reason, news analysts keep ignoring that outrage in the middle of everything else.

I wish content like this was the kind of stuff that went viral and completely broke the spell trump cultism has over... quite frankly many members of m extended family

What does it take?

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wish content like this was the kind of stuff that went viral and completely broke the spell trump cultism has over... quite frankly many members of m extended family

What does it take?
See what I wrote in my last post above.

At this point it'd take removal of the cult leader, and then some intensive deprogramming.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm fascinated with the hypothetical concept of a secret vote to convict the president... It just doesn't seem like a thing that could actually happen. As much as I think we'd like the results of that vote, I don't like the idea. If the shoe was on the other foot, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have all of our senators publicly supporting Medicare for All because they know that's where the base is at, and then holding a private vote and siding with Republicans to kill it. It feels undemocratic to have senators voting in secret and not being accountable.

I realize it's not likely to happen, but I'm enjoying imagining the fallout from such a vote. I think every sitting Republican senator would get primaried from true believer Trumpers, and that most of them would be unelectable in the general. I keep waiting for that GOP Civil War to really pop off, and I think this would be the thing to do it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fascinated with the hypothetical concept of a secret vote to convict the president... It just doesn't seem like a thing that could actually happen. As much as I think we'd like the results of that vote, I don't like the idea. If the shoe was on the other foot, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have all of our senators publicly supporting Medicare for All because they know that's where the base is at, and then holding a private vote and siding with Republicans to kill it. It feels undemocratic to have senators voting in secret and not being accountable.

I realize it's not likely to happen, but I'm enjoying imagining the fallout from such a vote. I think every sitting Republican senator would get primaried from true believer Trumpers, and that most of them would be unelectable in the general. I keep waiting for that GOP Civil War to really pop off, and I think this would be the thing to do it.

Im still appalled they let things go this far with how shitty he was in the primaries. They did NOTHING to protect us or reign in his worst qualities as president

Fuck them all

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I just want my family back

And for them to engage in critical thinking and independence instead of continuing to have ridiculous shit fed to them
Sorry for being purely analytical. I've watched my parents get more racist since I left the UK all the way up to my dad supporting Brexit. He loses his shit if anyone calls him racist but I can't forget the things he said to me about the Polish. Worst of all, he's an immigrant himself and still has an Irish passport.

My mum just leaves the room if politics ever come up. They visit me once a year for a month and so I don't broach the subject but if my dad does I can't let the untruths and nonsense go unchallenged.

Worst part is I know it's the media. They aren't being manipulated and fed bullshit about the US so they see what's going on here and are concerned about what Trump is doing etc etc. I bet if they lived here they'd be Fox viewers and Trump supporters.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like bills are a different ballgame than conviction votes but like as Auto said, the names of the Senators who voted Yea would leak anyways.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being purely analytical. I've watched my parents get more racist since I left the UK all the way up to my dad supporting Brexit. He loses his shit if anyone calls him racist but I can't forget the things he said to me about the Polish. Worst of all, he's an immigrant himself and still has an Irish passport.

My mum just leaves the room if politics ever come up. They visit me once a year for a month and so I don't broach the subject but if my dad does I can't let the untruths and nonsense go unchallenged.

Worst part is I know it's the media. They aren't being manipulated and fed bullshit about the US so they see what's going here and are concerned about what Trump is doing etc etc. I bet if they lived here they'd be Fox viewers and Trump supporters.

The sheer inability to allow your own views and biases to be challenged and consider other perspectives is awful

And I know that this shutting down of the mind is exactly what conservative media does because I have taken time to listen to it. It all plays on negative emotions, fear mongering and playing out everyone else as the enemy and that our collective survival depends on fighting them off

It is absolutely insane how unquestioned these charlatans are and how loyal the following is. I've basically given up on them and working on rallying with those who are still sane

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I like to think that republicans want to get out of Trumpism and a secret vote would be the golden ticket. This might be giving them too much credit, but I feel like republicans are stuck because if they go against the cult they pay for it as we have seen with the few defectors. Sure removing Trump means the party is going to take a hit, but at least they can distance themselves from this nightmare and quickly rebuild the party. Where if Trump is allowed another 5 years of this madness, I'm not sure the party is going to ever recover especially if he does something even worse than this current scandal.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I like to think that republicans want to get out of Trumpism and a secret vote would be the golden ticket. This might be giving them too much credit, but I feel like republicans are stuck because if they go against the cult they pay for it as we have seen with the few defectors. Sure removing Trump means the party is going to take a hit, but at least they can distance themselves from this nightmare and quickly rebuild the party. Where if Trump is allowed another 5 years of this madness, I'm not sure the party is going to ever recover.
A secret vote would give them the chance to clear him without any record of who voted which way. I personally don't trust it for a second, espescially not if Mitch McConnell starts advocating for it.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I would think if they want to clear him then they would leave it public to show the base they stood with him.
It all depends on which way the winds blow. I think, long term, having a record of who voted to clear Trump is going to be a problem for the people that did.

The base still think the emporer has clothes. If he loses, that's going to start eroding quickly. The GOP was a Fox news fueled nightmare before Trump. It will stay that after he is out of office, but if he loses, it won't long stay a cult of personality with Trump at the center, I don't believe.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would think if they want to clear him then they would leave it public to show the base they stood with him.
Perhaps, but having it public casts a huge light on everyone in the room. If the public - even the Republicans - know where they stand when light is shone on the scandals, crimes, and corruptions, it holds everyone accountable - either for removing him or permitting wanton criminality in the office, on public record, for the world and history to see.

I feel that hiding in the dark is what they've done this entire time, candidly expressing "concern" for his actions while supporting his agendas from the back and in the shadows.

Even if Trump is not removed, now is absolutely the time to let everyone know where they stand, and if they stand WITH a criminal whose crimes are beyond question and whose vows to uphold the Constitution are blatantly discarded, then they can be without excuse going forward.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like bills are a different ballgame than conviction votes but like as Auto said, the names of the Senators who voted Yea would leak anyways.
That's true. There's no way it would stay secret for long.
A secret vote would give them the chance to clear him without any record of who voted which way. I personally don't trust it for a second, espescially not if Mitch McConnell starts advocating for it.
Ha! I hadn't thought of this as a possibility. I'm so naive that I was thinking that anonymity is the thing that would make them do the right thing... The evil shit they will do out in the open with their names attached probably should have clued me in.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

Assuming the "in camera" secret vote is actually possible, I suspect that the prior vote to alter the rules could not be secret, so I doubt this tactic would even protect them from trump cultists or primary attackers all that much anyway. The vote to suspend the rules would just be the proxy. Maaaaybe they could get away with it if the rules vote was every Dem plus McConnell plus, say, Collins? I don't think that would fly, though. It would just make it worse for them with their base.

Last edited:

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for sharing that.

I thought it was cute he implied Barr would have to recluse himself, when everybody knows Barr won't.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
That's true. There's no way it would stay secret for long.

Ha! I hadn't thought of this as a possibility. I'm so naive that I was thinking that anonymity is the thing that would make them do the right thing... The evil shit they will do out in the open with their names attached probably should have clued me in.
Great points and I too was being naive. Didn't think about the anonymity being a free pass to continue to be evil.

Thanks for sharing that.

I thought it was cute he implied Barr would have to recluse himself, when everybody knows Barr won't.
No problem, I'm going to have to watch more of his videos, really want to see what he puts together on impeachment like he teased in this video.

As for Barr, I was wondering what the rules on recusing are. What happens if he refuses to recuse himself? Wouldn't him not doing so just make them look more guilty?

Oct 25, 2017
I need a conviction vote before Maine's primary election filing deadline (which seems to be March 16!). For reasons. Thanks.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Warren just needs to soften her illegal immigration stance. Or harden it rather.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This is what's sticking in my craw atm.

Mueller was heavily restricted by the Justice Dept as to what he could investigate and it should be absolutely clear now that Barr shut him down prematurely. If there's any lesson to be learned from this it's that a truly independent special councils office needs to be permanently established by law. It would have also been helpful in a situation like the Kavanaugh non-investigation as well.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Evan McMullin @EvanMcMullin

Trump wants so badly for us to see his abuses and efforts to curb them as partisan warfare so that we'll ignore his corruption. But that's not what this is. This is the people's House performing its constitutional duty in holding him accountable and protecting freedom in America. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1177919923885969408 …

8:39 AM - Sep 28, 2019

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Can you imagine if these Do Nothing Democrat Savages, people like Nadler, Schiff, AOC Plus 3, and many more, had a Republican Party who would have done to Obama what the Do Nothings are doing to me. Oh well, maybe next time!

8:16 AM - Sep 28, 2019

FenFRZ5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.