Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"fuck you TERF lover" to Adam got the poster a 1 day ban.
I believe they're referring to this post:
www.resetera.com

US PoliEra 2020 |OT4| Disaster Voltron

It's funny to me how many people on this page are suggesting, even as a joke, Klobuchar...you picked the only candidate widely accused of physical and verbal abuse lol edit: dammit, and just as I hit the next page
Ahh, yeah. There's always going to be some inconsistencies. I think the weighting on this one was the ongoing spat over Hillary avatars. Felt like there was a lot of mutual trolling going on.
If I have you permission, I can post it.
I'd prefer not, frankly. It was a while ago, and while I'd like to add some context to it, I don't really think I could in a useful way, and frankly, with the unsolicited callout, I don't much trust that you'll give me a fair hearing on what I've got to say after.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, yeah. There's always going to be some inconsistencies. I think the weighting on this one was the ongoing spat over Hillary avatars. Felt like there was a lot of mutual trolling going on.

I'd prefer not, frankly. It was a while ago, and while I'd like to add some context to it, I don't really think I could in a useful way, and frankly, with the unsolicited callout, I don't much trust that you'll give me a fair hearing on what I've got to say after.
I have given you fair hearings for months as you know, but that is all offsite which you may now ban for. I removed it as your request despite you bringing up the discord in the first place.

And the context was all there. And wasn't a while ago, but a month.

To see you treat me in private one way and now publicly another is disappointing.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's a shame what's happening to this place. Not the biggest fan of Discord, but I'll manage. OT is actually ok, except when it comes to political discussions.

Poor Midnight Jon. I hope he isn't the only one in charge with Discord invites.
we switched to a vetting system so there's probably going to be more of a wait than there otherwise would've been (because we are very much not here for shit-stirrers and people who just join to screenshot shit for their ongoing forum wars)

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"mutual trolling"?

I'm confused about what the mutuality was with "fuck you TERF lover." I know you have a lot going on but can you expand on what you mean here?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, please. You well know that Adam's avatar had nothing to do with trolling, and him getting shit over it is no different than people mocking anime avatars.

Last I checked, that behavior was frowned on here. But go ahead and "both sides" it, as you seem wont to do.

This is the whole problem. You want to claim that this is a community, but then when the "community" tries to explain things to you and speak for itself, you won't even listen. You are right, and everything is justified.

Which is fine. This is your forum, and you can run it as you choose. But don't sit here trying to tell us we're the ones doing it all wrong.

we switched to a vetting system so there's probably going to be more of a wait than there otherwise would've been (because we are very much not here for shit-stirrers and people who just join to screenshot shit for their ongoing forum wars), but a lot of the people asking will probably get through
Good to hear. I can't take the gaslighting anymore, so it will be good to get out of here and get some fresh air. Hopefully I can get in eventually.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Northam survived mostly on the back of his lieutenant governor being embroiled in a more pressing scandal. And being old.

Everyone in the Virginia scandals survived because of a confluence of factors. Basically, you couldn't force the one black elected official out, but if you forced everyone out having a scandal you ended up with a Republican governor . . . who wouldn't be signing any of this amazing legislation we have being signed in the state now.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we switched to a vetting system so there's probably going to be more of a wait than there otherwise would've been (because we are very much not here for shit-stirrers and people who just join to screenshot shit for their ongoing forum wars)
Appreciate it. Discord isn't my favorite app, but I enjoy the discussions here too much to pass it up. So thanks.

DynamicG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you are allowed to moderate on how things "feel" what determines if bans are fair or not?

Oct 26, 2017
Zki6LEk.gif

I have no idea what just happened here, on a Sunday afternoon no less and unfortunately I don't have time right now to read 10+ pages to find out what happened.

The people who are going on break I respect, so I'm assuming they're doing it for good reasons.

I've been posting on these forums for a waaay too long (over 20 years if you count the original Gaming-Age Forums), so I'll never completely leave. But when toxic levels get too high or moderation becomes too stifling/confusing, I do naturally find myself posting less. I also naturally ignore and skim over posts/members that don't add anything to the discussion. My own internal ignore function which was forged from the early ruff and tumble days of message boards, newsgroups, and AOL chats.

I also don't mind debates and reading posts from people who think I'm completely wrong. As long as they make a thoughtful supported post, it helps me understand different perspectives even if I don't agree with them.

Obviously things get complicated when people are arguing in bad faith. It can be frustrating and irritating to read someone make one long argument one month, then suddenly the political winds change and they're making almost the complete opposite argument, yet they're trying to convince you they've been consistent all along. And then you end up getting banned trying to point out these inconsistencies then yeah, that's going to make you not want to participate in the community.

Again, I have no idea what's going on today. Just taking a guess based off events over the past couple of months.

Hopefully once things cool down, then regulars will feel comfortable to come back. But honestly there's nothing wrong with just disconnecting for a bit. I find myself when I'm starting to feel my blood boil by what's going on in this administration and politics in general, it helps to just disconnect for a few 24 hour news cycles. You'll realize things actually don't move as fast and you can take a few deep breaths away from our political bubble and the world won' fall apart. I honestly think Trump, the Long Primary campaign, and Twitter has just exhausted us all by making us always move at 2x or 3x generating a lot of heat. So take some time and slow your atoms for a bit, you'll feel better.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in the Virginia scandals survived because of a confluence of factors. Basically, you couldn't force the one black elected official out, but if you forced everyone out having a scandal you ended up with a Republican governor . . . who wouldn't be signing any of this amazing legislation we have being signed in the state now.
You know, this could make for a good thread topic, if someone could word it well. How do some of the more idealistic/principle minded posters feel about all three sticking around despite their missteps and what has occurred politically because of the inability to force them out.

It's a great concrete example of pragmatism over principle.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

🙄

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

That sounds like a good idea tbh, take your time and do what you need to protect people who have seen enough of the vitriol thrown their way here.

Would love an invite if you are willing when time is permitting, hoping the OTs keep going as well but going to miss some of my favorite PoliEra Fundits here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
"mutual trolling"?

I'm confused about what the mutuality was with "fuck you TERF lover." I know you have a lot going on but can you expand on what you mean here?

That post was about as hostile as it gets. If I was a mod it would have been a minimum one month ban with a permanent ban being considered. A 1 day ban was a slap in the face, you don't pull shit like that with a LGBTQ poster who has contributed to this community for over a decade.

Who the fuck do some of these mods think they are? Adam and others like him aren't shit posters, they are why many of us come here everyday to discuss matters of importance and interest. They deserve respect for how much they have contributed over such a long period of time.

Elutris

Oct 29, 2017

To me it wasn't even the original "fuck you" post that was so eye opening but the implied "Yeah, what are you gonna do about it" response.
www.resetera.com

US PoliEra 2020 |OT4| Disaster Voltron

If you have a problem with my post, go report it to a mod.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You know, this could make for a good thread topic, if someone could word it well. How do some of the more idealistic/principle minded posters feel about all three sticking around despite their missteps and what has occurred politically because of the inability to force them out.

It's a great concrete example of pragmatism over principle.
I've thought about making a Virginia thread, and how "moderates" Are tuning the show and doing progressive (by American standards) things

Just ain't worth it

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
If you are allowed to moderate on how things "feel" what determines if bans are fair or not?

Yeah seriously. I put it behind a link before but screw it, this is a post by a moderator in the thread on Sanders suspending his campaign.

Good luck choosing between your two rapists, America. You had your best chance at becoming something better in our lifetimes and you fucked it up completely.

And good on you, Bernie. Screw forcing people to go out and vote amidst this mess.

If someone is hypothetically accusing a poster whos advocating voting for Biden of being a rape apologist, or not caring about victims, or the myriad other accusations that get thrown around, and it goes to that Mod is the report going to get a fair appraisal?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have given you fair hearings for months as you know, but that is all offsite which you may now ban for. I removed it as your request despite you bringing up the discord in the first place.

And the context was all there. And wasn't a while ago, but a month.

To see you treat me in private one way and now publicly another is disappointing.
Brian, I'm trying to treat everybody the same way everywhere, but when a user quotes me and says "may I use your words from a month ago* against you" it kinda produces a certain reaction.

*Jesus, was it really that recent? Feels like half a year.
"mutual trolling"?

Nah, I'm just explaining the context that the discussion over ban duration took place.
Oh, please. You well know that Adam's avatar had nothing to do with trolling, and him getting shit over it is no different than people mocking anime avatars.

Last I checked, that behavior was frowned on here. But go ahead and "both sides" it, as you seem wont to do.
Again, this is just the context the discussion took place in.

Honestly, I can talk people through bans they feel are too long, but with bans that're too short, it's hard. I might be fucking this up, frankly.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If someone is hypothetically accusing a poster whos advocating voting for Biden of being a rape apologist, or not caring about victims, or the myriad other accusations that get thrown around, and it goes to that Mod is the report going to get a fair appraisal?
and frankly: if that mod's already been called out by admins 3 times for precisely the same pattern of behavior, why the fuck are they still a mod

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That post was about as hostile as it gets. If I was a mod it would have been a minimum one month ban with a permanent ban being considered. A 1 day ban was a slap in the face, you don't pull shit like that with a LGBTQ poster who has contributed to this community for over a decade.

Who the fuck do some of these mods think they are? Adam and others like him aren't shit posters, they are why many of us come here everyday to discuss matters of importance and interest. They deserve respect for how much they have contributed over suck a long period of time.
It's baffling and there's a reason longtime members of this forum who are part of the LGBTQ community no longer feel welcome here.

Nah, I'm just explaining the context that the discussion over ban duration took place.
I see, but the context doesn't add up to me-- what was this "mutual trolling"?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seriously. I put it behind a link before but screw it, this is a post by a moderator in the thread on Sanders suspending his campaign.

Mistakes are made. And covered-up.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the update, Midnight Jon. I remember the limbo period between GAF and Era—thanks for helping us through all this.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Brian, I'm trying to treat everybody the same way everywhere, but when a user quotes me and says "may I use your words from a month ago* against you" it kinda produces a certain reaction.

*Jesus, was it really that recent? Feels like half a year.

Honestly, I can talk people through bans they feel are too long, but with bans that're too short, it's hard. I might be fucking this up, frankly.
A month ago isn't ancient history, so don't pretend it was. I get it, things are moving fast, and time is crawling for some, but have some perspective, maybe take the time to go back over it, and re-evaluate.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We try to handle it as a team, get the personal sentiment out as best we can. Sometimes that's just not possible, especially since a lot of the time it'll be the same group of people, just due to schedule overlap if nothing else.

I know people don't like it when we say stuff like this, but staff's only human. Feeling's what we've got.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am more of a lurker than a poster, but this thread is my single favorite source of political news on the entire internet (when it's not embroiled in drama) and I would love an invite to the discord so I could read that too, if possible :3

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how "routine maintenance" suddenly pops up tonight just in time to try and stem the flow of poster migrations.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

How in the world is this an explanation? Again, that kind of behavior was a 1 day ban. You yourself just now said a week long ban is a light one.

Legitimately asking: what would my ban be in any other community for telling a member of that community "fuck you" for no reason?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A month ago isn't ancient history, so don't pretend it was. I get it, things are moving fast, and time is crawling for some, but have some perspective, maybe take the time to go back over it, and re-evaluate.
I'm not pretending - I genuinely had no idea. Felt like longer. Y'all know about this time dilation shit we're all on.
Amazing how "routine maintenance" suddenly pops up tonight just in time to try and stem the flow of poster migrations.
That's... not how routine site maintenance works, as far as I know.

kxZyle

Nov 6, 2017
I really hate to add to you guys' workload, but I'd really appreciate a Discord invite too. I just lurk but I need y'all to distract me from my own country's politics, otherwise I'll go mad.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

How do we request and invite? Post in here or do we need to message someone?

There's a lot of people like me that mostly read. Is that going to pass the vetting process or are you keeping it with a small known list of people?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

I was there. I'm part of this "community" you claim exists.

And I can tell you exactly the context of that exchange. I remember it clearly. A user who is not a regular came into this thread and started shit out of nowhere about Adam having a Hillary avatar. And the people who are regulars of this "community" (that actually isn't a community, despite you wanting people to believe it when it suits your agenda) said "really?" because we know Adam and we know why he has that avatar and we respected and valued his participation here. And then other people who aren't regulars in this thread tried to keep it going to score points or start an argument that could get regulars banned.

It was bait. It was an attempt to stir up shit. It was baseless and useless nonsense. The entire thing was a trap. It was as bad-faith as bad-faith gets.

That's the context of the exchange. And somebody got a soft ban only because they decided to use a targeted slur to a member and the moderators likely felt it would just be too obvious where their sympathies lie to take no action at all. (And I know that's not an entirely fair assessment, but I think it is a fair sentiment that I'm not alone in sharing, and I don't think your attempts to dress up specific actions and failures by the staff are any more fair, even though I'm sure you believe it or at least mean well. I know it's not an easy position, but this "community" no longer exists, and it's not because the regular members started doing anything differently—they started getting treated differently and targeted more effectively, and the mods are complicit in that whether you know it or choose to acknowledge it.)

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I agree, actually. After talking with Poodle, we're going to be looking into sphagnum's ban for reevaluation.

It's a coincidence. The tech team works separately from the moderation team.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a Discord invite as a fallback, but ugh.

A little off topic, but it seems like things have been derailed for the moment anyway..., but why do people love Discord so much? I used it once awhile ago and didn't care for it at all - I much prefer the forum style (maybe it's because I tend to lurk anyway and like to take my time?).

I'm certainly going to keep lurking PoliEra until the very end - I will probably just get more use out of my ignore list and probably only lurk when I logged in so I can use my ignored list.
Discord is a great as a fancy group chat app that can run all kinds of tools, but it's pretty shit for any substantial conversation. Everything's ephemeral. I can only imagine it amplifies the 'community' aspects while everything else falls away.

my experience with discord is that it's fucking terrible for following posts after the fact -- like, i don't want an instant messenger, I want a forum. i'm an old man i guess.
Preach.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
In all of this, I forgot to request an invite (and vetting) as well. No rush of course - there's clearly a flood of requests. Admittedly it'll be more me reading than posting, but I would hope that when I do post it's not as a drive-by shitstirring douche - I sure as hell try not to be, flaws aside.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why everybody is asking for a Discord invite, but I want one too! DM me please :S I've been here since the old site, and suffered with plenty of you through 2016, so don't leave me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.