Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Contrast that Biden ad with

- we must send our kids to school during an uncontrolled pandemic and kill our elderly for the good of capitalism

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Biden had a great line from a speech a few weeks ago, something like "Trump thinks the virus happened to him- it happened to all of us".

Hammer that shit home until election day.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Philip Wegmann @PhilipWegmann

Trump, per pool @TalKopan, says Biden "plagiarized from me but he can never pull it off. He likes plagiarizing."

10:08 AM · Jul 10, 2020

4JhB3Sc.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
New thread?

www.google.com

Professor doubles down on prediction model of Trump's chances in 2020

Despite recent polls that indicate that former Vice President Joe Biden as the heavy favorite ahead of the 2020 election, a political science professor is still standing by his prediction model that shows President Trump having a "91 percent" chance of winning in November.

His election map for Trump's win has Biden only winning New York and California, with Trump winning places like Virginia and Arizona so should be taken with the biggest grain of salt imaginable.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.nytimes.com

An Unexpected Struggle for Trump: Defining an Elusive Biden (Published 2020)

With only six weeks to the Republican National Convention, President Trump has yet to find a framework for attacking his opponent.
Defining an opponent — putting them on the defensive with caricature — is a crucial and proven tactic for candidates in competitive races. There is a graveyard of failed contenders — names like Kennedy, McGovern, Romney, Gore and Hillary Clinton — who found themselves branded by an opponent in portrayals, often unfair, that ricocheted across the political playing field and the media.
Mr. Trump had been adept at this. But the kind of attacks that seemed so effective when he was a new-to-politics outsider in 2016 also appear to have less resonance coming from inside the White House. Four years of tweets by Mr. Trump have numbed many voters.
"It's almost self-defeating," said Ron Christie, a Republican who was a senior adviser to President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. "People are exhausted. The president, with every tweet, every insult, will move himself out of favor with the demographic that he needs the most, which is the independent."
Mr. Trump does have some avenues to use against Mr. Biden before voter attitudes begin to harden. He has sought to tie Mr. Biden to the political unrest that has swept the country since the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25 by the police. And Mr. Trump has tried to portray his opponent as senile, "sleepy," corrupt and an ally of China, but none of those lines of attack has resonated with the public, at least up to now.
His aides have signaled that Mr. Trump, incumbent or not, would run as an outsider against Mr. Biden — who has been a fixture in Washington since he was elected to the Senate in 1972 — the way he had against Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Biden's long history of votes in the Senate, as well as his eight years as an active vice president under President Barack Obama, could give Mr. Trump plenty of material.
And if Mr. Biden continues to escape definition, Mr. Trump is likely to turn to Mr. Biden's running mate. Going after the vice-presidential candidate would be an unusual but not unprecedented strategy, and might have some resonance in this election given Mr. Biden's age; he is 77. (Mr. Trump is 74.)
Mr. Trump's campaign had calculated that Mr. Biden, given his long history and the stumbles in the early days of his primary, would be an easier opponent to caricature.
But now, as Mr. Trump prepares to go to New Hampshire on Saturday for his latest campaign rally, time is running short.
A series of national polls has shown Mr. Trump trailing Mr. Biden, often by double digits. Even more alarming for the president, he is trailing Mr. Biden in battleground states that he won in 2016 and are likely critical to any re-election plan — including Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Even states like Georgia, which once seemed clearly in Mr. Trump's column, now appear competitive.
"Trump has much less time to pile up negatives on Biden," said Nelson Warfield, a Republican consultant who served as press secretary for Bob Dole's presidential campaign in 1996. "I made my first negative ad starring Hillary Clinton in 1992 and I kept doing ads criticizing her across the next 24 years. And I was by no means alone. Republicans have months to do to Biden what Republicans had over two decades to do to Hillary."

More in the link.

Nate Cohn @Nate_Cohn

The point is: Trump could have been in a vastly stronger political position, even with COVID/economy just as bad. At this point, improvement would involve a change in either conditions or his conduct. At the moment, I don't see good signs for him on either front. 4 months to go.

9:34 AM · Jul 10, 2020

Dave Wasserman @Redistrict

Debates swing voters just aren't that tuned into, at least in the polling I'm seeing: Confederate statues Biden's mental acuity Trump's taxes Things we know swing voters *do* care about: COVID response Policing/race relations Economy/jobs

12:51 PM · Jul 9, 2020

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
"BuyGoya" is trending and I'm cracking up at the image of Trumpers wandering into the ethnic food section of the grocery store

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
And if Mr. Biden continues to escape definition, Mr. Trump is likely to turn to Mr. Biden's running mate. Going after the vice-presidential candidate would be an unusual but not unprecedented strategy, and might have some resonance in this election given Mr. Biden's age; he is 77. (Mr. Trump is 74.)
It should be Duckworth for a lot of reasons, but this is definitely one of them. Can you imagine the reaction, in the year of our lord 2020, to Trump loudly attacking a disabled veteran?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
His election map for Trump's win has Biden only winning New York and California, with Trump winning places like Virginia and Arizona so should be taken with the biggest grain of salt imaginable.
I didn't know that. I just assumed he was a credible historian with actual hard data to suggest a Trump win.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
It should be Duckworth for a lot of reasons, but this is definitely one of them. Can you imagine the reaction, in the year of our lord 2020, to Trump loudly attacking a disabled veteran?

It would be no different than him attacking any veteran as he as done in the past... His base/GOP/Republicans will ignore it and everyone else will be annoyed/hate it. IMO, I don't think it would make a difference at this point.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

www.nytimes.com

With only six weeks to the Republican National Convention, President Trump has yet to find a framework for attacking his opponent.
Defining an opponent — putting them on the defensive with caricature — is a crucial and proven tactic for candidates in competitive races. There is a graveyard of failed contenders — names like Kennedy, McGovern, Romney, Gore and Hillary Clinton — who found themselves branded by an opponent in portrayals, often unfair, that ricocheted across the political playing field and the media.
Mr. Trump had been adept at this. But the kind of attacks that seemed so effective when he was a new-to-politics outsider in 2016 also appear to have less resonance coming from inside the White House. Four years of tweets by Mr. Trump have numbed many voters.
"It's almost self-defeating," said Ron Christie, a Republican who was a senior adviser to President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. "People are exhausted. The president, with every tweet, every insult, will move himself out of favor with the demographic that he needs the most, which is the independent."
Mr. Trump does have some avenues to use against Mr. Biden before voter attitudes begin to harden. He has sought to tie Mr. Biden to the political unrest that has swept the country since the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25 by the police. And Mr. Trump has tried to portray his opponent as senile, "sleepy," corrupt and an ally of China, but none of those lines of attack has resonated with the public, at least up to now.
His aides have signaled that Mr. Trump, incumbent or not, would run as an outsider against Mr. Biden — who has been a fixture in Washington since he was elected to the Senate in 1972 — the way he had against Mrs. Clinton. Mr. Biden's long history of votes in the Senate, as well as his eight years as an active vice president under President Barack Obama, could give Mr. Trump plenty of material.
Mr. Trump's campaign had calculated that Mr. Biden, given his long history and the stumbles in the early days of his primary, would be an easier opponent to caricature.
But now, as Mr. Trump prepares to go to New Hampshire on Saturday for his latest campaign rally, time is running short.
A series of national polls has shown Mr. Trump trailing Mr. Biden, often by double digits. Even more alarming for the president, he is trailing Mr. Biden in battleground states that he won in 2016 and are likely critical to any re-election plan — including Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Even states like Georgia, which once seemed clearly in Mr. Trump's column, now appear competitive.
"Trump has much less time to pile up negatives on Biden," said Nelson Warfield, a Republican consultant who served as press secretary for Bob Dole's presidential campaign in 1996. "I made my first negative ad starring Hillary Clinton in 1992 and I kept doing ads criticizing her across the next 24 years. And I was by no means alone. Republicans have months to do to Biden what Republicans had over two decades to do to Hillary."

More in the link.

Nate Cohn @Nate_Cohn

The point is: Trump could have been in a vastly stronger political position, even with COVID/economy just as bad. At this point, improvement would involve a change in either conditions or his conduct. At the moment, I don't see good signs for him on either front. 4 months to go.

Debates swing voters just aren't that tuned into, at least in the polling I'm seeing: Confederate statues Biden's mental acuity Trump's taxes Things we know swing voters *do* care about: COVID response Policing/race relations Economy/jobs

"A critical Trump challenge: His scramble to define and discredit Biden before the fall"

Here's a thought. Maybe have an answer when a softball interviewer asks what you'll do in the next four years. Maybe try to give potential voters reasons to support you.

This is beyond him of course. Just saying.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

www.nytimes.com

More in the link.

Nate Cohn @Nate_Cohn

Crazy to think it's less than four months now. "STILL PLENTY OF TIME" is becoming increasingly desperate.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
His base is full of people who have literally prescribed to the notion: nothing matters as long as we eliminate abortion. So no, they don't care. I've talked to plenty of Trump supporters who claim they hate him as a person but he's supporting the agenda that they believe in. So no, nothing will change the needle for them.

They haven't changed their vote- in the face of:

1. Flagrant racism.
2. Children in cages
3. Comments and support of predators / sexual abuse

And I'm probably only scratching the surface. Those people are gone.We need to insure that every able bodied democrat we know is about to go and vote.No point in pandering to people who are still on the fence because I honestly believe they are Trump supporters.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
New thread?

www.google.com

Despite recent polls that indicate that former Vice President Joe Biden as the heavy favorite ahead of the 2020 election, a political science professor is still standing by his prediction model that shows President Trump having a "91 percent" chance of winning in November.
This guy's model relies on primary enthusiasm as the key metric for general election success. I wonder, have there been any significant events between the primaries and the GE that could have thrown things off?

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be no different than him attacking any veteran as he as done in the past... His base/GOP/Republicans will ignore it and everyone else will be annoyed/hate it. IMO, I don't think it would make a difference at this point.
A visibly disabled war veteran is a different beast, which says more about the public than it does anything else.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
His base is full of people who have literally prescribed to the notion: nothing matters as long as we eliminate abortion. So no, they don't care. I've talked to plenty of Trump supporters who claim they hate him as a person but he's supporting the agenda that they believe in. So no, nothing will change the needle for them.
It was mildly amusing watching the evangelicals and religious right contort themselves into knots to explain their support for Trump, then eventually just give up and say screw it, he hates the same people we hate.

I bet the response from 99% of those single issue abortion voters if you ask about universal healthcare for people would be "no".

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This guy's model relies on primary enthusiasm as the key metric for general election success. I wonder, have there been any significant events between the primaries and the GE that could have thrown things off?

Even if nothing had happened between the primary and now biden was never losing some of those states. Its complete junk

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Too many Universities and School Systems are about Radical Left Indoctrination, not Education. Therefore, I am telling the Treasury Department to re-examine their Tax-Exempt Status...

... and/or Funding, which will be taken away if this Propaganda or Act Against Public Policy continues. Our children must be Educated, not Indoctrinated!

11:49 AM · Jul 10, 2020

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
New thread?

www.google.com

The prediction was made in april. 17th before the some of the worse effects of the pandemic and the protests. I think the guy made the predictions and stuck with it without considering the current events. The prediction was on the website Newsday. The article is behind a pay wall for me though.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Trump continuing to have his pulse on the nation's fears and concerns.

Seriously...I mean I'm beyond amazement and now I just accept it- but the fact that Trump still does not understand that taking the virus seriously and showing empathy is literally the only way to deal with this politically continues to astound me.

You can't gaslight a pandemic!

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

They haven't changed their vote- in the face of:

1. Flagrant racism.
2. Children in cages
3. Comments and support of predators / sexual abuse

And I'm probably only scratching the surface. Those people are gone.We need to insure that every able bodied democrat we know is about to go and vote.No point in pandering to people who are still on the fence because I honestly believe they are Trump supporters.
Sure his base is lost, but if he has a shot its in painting Biden or his VP effectively with independents and "swing voters" and all the marginal people right now. He's flailing to stick it on Biden but IMO he might actually be able to make it work with Warren (less so Harris). Duckworth seems like the strongest one there though, I think there is a person who would buy into his attacks on Warren but is turned off by the same tactics aimed at Duckworth

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump continuing to have his pulse on the nation's fears and concerns.

Seriously...I mean I'm beyond amazement and now I just accept it- but the fact that Trump still does not understand that taking the virus seriously and showing empathy is literally the only way to deal with this politically continues to astound me.

You can't gaslight a pandemic!
Also, early testing. With early testing they could have saved so many lives and jobs, and the economy would have taken a hit but maybe not crashed. Instead, he preferred to believe it would magically wash away and didn't want testing because it would show there's a problem. Same thing with the mask. He'd rather the problems persist than admit there might be a problem which is easy to fix.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Too many Universities and School Systems are about Radical Left Indoctrination, not Education. Therefore, I am telling the Treasury Department to re-examine their Tax-Exempt Status...

... and/or Funding, which will be taken away if this Propaganda or Act Against Public Policy continues. Our children must be Educated, not Indoctrinated!

I guess this is a preview of his rally tomorrow

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he's just desperately flailing for any angle that will play, but nothing else will, because COVID-19 will be all consuming from now until election day. Any rational person would realize that dealing with COVID-19 is the one and only thing that matters, but of course, Trump is not rational.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
He doesn't have an actual PLAN for anything!
Mostly because he's stupid and lazy.
He doesn't understand how no one is blaming him for Covid-19, but for his mishandling of it, revealing his utter incompetence, further exasperated by his bitching and moaning.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The annoying this is that it is 4mo is quite a bit of time though should something catastrophic happen. Obviously not the same but that Comey letter devastated the Clinton campaign polling in less than two weeks flat. Granted Biden doesn't have anywhere near the amount of baggage going into November and Trump is on increasingly hostile ground, but 4mo is a lot of time for a desperate admin and bootlicking DOJ/Senate to do damage if they're really willing to go balls to the wall. The fact that they've gotten nothing in the past half year though is heartening, along with the fact that Trump seemingly is incapable of producing a shred of empathy for COVID patients.

Feel like the stimulus at the end of July are really going to set the tone for how the GOP act going into November though, by all indications they're looking to just salt the earth for people really suffering. I don't see how that's sustainable given that the media would probably leap on mass eviction/bankruptcy stories in a heartbeat. On top of that the insistence that kids return to school ASAP will likely see horrific stories of entire school districts getting beaten up by COVID.

I'm definitely more optimistic, but at this point it feels like we're about to crest a wave of misery into a whole new deluge of problems with an ever more cornered admin and GOP.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't have an actual PLAN for anything!
Mostly because he's stupid and lazy.
He doesn't understand how no one is blaming him for Covid-19, but for his mishandling of it, revealing his utter incompetence, further exasperated by his bitching and moaning.
Yep. He doesn't want to handle or manage the Covid-19 crisis. He just wants people to pretend it isn't happening and celebrate the economy or wants people be mad about whatever dumb issue hits his brain (usually from Fox News).

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So at least according to weather.com I'm not seeing any huge storm forecasted for Portsmouth...

>

www.nbcboston.com

Will the Tropical Storm Headed for NH Affect Trump's Rally?

UPDATE ( Friday, July 10, 12:35 p.m.): The Trump campaign has postponed the rally, citing Tropical Storm Fay. More details here. President Donald Trump has had so-called TikTok teens mess with the attendance at his recent rally in Tulsa, and reportedly they’re at it again for Saturday’s rally in...
But with Tropical Storm Fay headed for New England on Friday and Saturday, could bad weather spoil the president's chances of a big crowd at Portsmouth International Airport Saturday night?
So far, it doesn't look like it, according to the NBC10 Boston and NECN forecast.

Keith Carson @KeithCarson

Our forecast for Portsmouth at 8 PM on Saturday is Partly Cloudy and 78 F.

12:23 PM · Jul 10, 2020

Last edited:

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017

Let me get this straight:

His campaign is hemorrhaging independent and suburban female voters, and his strategy is to vilify public schools and universities?

My guess is some universities and schools have directly reached out to him and told him they weren't going back in the fall.

Oct 26, 2017
Let me get this straight:

His campaign is hemorrhaging independent and suburban female voters, and his strategy is to vilify public schools and universities?

My guess is some universities and schools have directly reached out to him and told him they weren't going back in the fall.
Of he continues, which he will, it will likely trigger a national teacher (k-12, college) strike, that this country hasn't seen.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
>

www.nbcboston.com

Will the Tropical Storm Headed for NH Affect Trump's Rally?

UPDATE ( Friday, July 10, 12:35 p.m.): The Trump campaign has postponed the rally, citing Tropical Storm Fay. More details here. President Donald Trump has had so-called TikTok teens mess with the attendance at his recent rally in Tulsa, and reportedly they’re at it again for Saturday’s rally in...
But with Tropical Storm Fay headed for New England on Friday and Saturday, could bad weather spoil the president's chances of a big crowd at Portsmouth International Airport Saturday night?
So far, it doesn't look like it, according to the NBC10 Boston and NECN forecast.

Keith Carson @KeithCarson

Our forecast for Portsmouth at 8 PM on Saturday is Partly Cloudy and 78 F.

12:23 PM · Jul 10, 2020

It's too hot and his orange makeup will start to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.