• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is S1 the John Lewis VRA?

Random thought/curiosity: Can Obama run as a senator for any state? Like wouldn't he automatically win? lol ....or are there rules because he was already a senator for Illinois?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest thing that might help Dems hold onto seats in 2022 despite everything are honestly the childcare payments that are about to start hitting this summer.
Except there is no chance republicans vote to extend them past December, and people usually blame the party in power for things that aren't happening.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we should just completely ignore and not even post anything Manchin says until or unless he says something new or different. Seeing quotes from him that are basically the same every week just serves to piss everyone off. He's never changing his mind, he doesn't care how many civil rights advocates speak with him, he straight up doesn't care.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
We should also hope that the economy is roaring in 2022. That should help the Democrats.
Yes, though the pace of the recovery has been more sluggish than expected so far.

Is S1 the John Lewis VRA?

Random thought/curiosity: Can Obama run as a senator for any state? Like wouldn't he automatically win? lol ....or are there rules because he was already a senator for Illinois?
S1 is different from the John Lewis VRA.

And Obama can run for anything (except president) if he wants to. But being president for 8 years is an insanely difficult job that I think saps your desire to do anything in elected office again.

also Illinois has two Dem senators already haha.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Once the infrastructure bill passes and everything else stalls, I do hope we stop hearing from/about Manchin. By not wielding his power, he should lose all the attention and ability to drive conversation he enjoys.

The "will he/won't he" aspect would have fueled another year of attention tbh,

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Pelosi has now said that even the much narrower House voting rights bill won't be ready for months. Man, wtf. I thought that bill was already constructed months ago and was just ready to put on the floor whenever Pelosi thought it was time?

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, though the pace of the recovery has been more sluggish than expected so far.

S1 is different from the John Lewis VRA.

And Obama can run for anything (except president) if he wants to. But being president for 8 years is an insanely difficult job that I think saps your desire to do anything in elected office again.

also Illinois has two Dem senators already haha.

So what is the difference between HR1, S1, and the John Lewis VRA, exactly?

And yeah, I realize he will never run for anything again, but I was just curious if he could run for--oh IDK--North Carolina's senate race if he wanted to. I'm assuming he'd have to move there first, though.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Pelosi has now said that even the much narrower House voting rights bill won't be ready for months. Man, wtf. I thought that bill was already constructed months ago and was just ready to put on the floor whenever Pelosi thought it was time?
Fucking. Clowns. We voted for clowns.

That's unless there's some legitimate reason it was not ready.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the new VRA just the old VRA+expanded preclearance to survive SCOTUS? I feel like that should be an easy Xerox job

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So what is the difference between HR1, S1, and the John Lewis VRA, exactly?

And yeah, I realize he will never run for anything again, but I was just curious if he could run for--oh IDK--North Carolina's senate race if he wanted to. I'm assuming he'd have to move there first, though.
tbh I don't really know the difference between HR1 and S1. The former was passed by the House, the latter is a Senate bill, they may just be doing mainly (if not entirely) the same things in different chambers. But those bills tackle non-partisan gerrymandering, campaign finance reform, public campaign financing, new ethics rules like mandating presidential candidates disclose tax returns, etc. The John Lewis VRA is much narrower, and more focused on restoring the preclearance requirement that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2013.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
June "month of action". Amazing. Waste the entire two seasons over nothing.

Democrats suck balls.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the John Lewis voting rights act was already written? Manchin has said he supports it, pass it.
Yeah, that what I'm saying. I heard the host on msnbc a few minutes ago say that Pelosi has released a statement saying that it won't be ready until fall and even if it passes it isn't a substitute for the Senate HR1 bill.

Basically nothing substantial is going to change with just the House bill. The GOP will still have the ability to cheat and rig everything.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking. Clowns. We voted for clowns.

That's unless there's some legitimate reason it was not ready.
What are they doing then lol
The bill is being rewritten in the House to ensure it survives court challenges.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Always confused by politicians who follow their own whims and interests rather than what would be most beneficial to the people of the country/their constituents.

Just shows a real disconnect between the political class and the people they supposedly represent. Manchin must be up his own ass if he doesn't see the writing on the wall and the benefits (legitimate) voting protections would have for people across the country.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just total lack of urgency on the part of Dems. They aren't accomplishing shit.

Merrick Garland is trash too. He's continuing to protect Trump. There is zero chance he allows an indictment of Trump. Doug Jones would have been a good AG.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why you guys are so surprised government is slow. There is a reason why people push for private sector to do stuff. Big monolithic bureaucratic organizations are going to be slow and inefficient. There may be some exceptions but the way it is structured promotes inefficiency.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you guys are so surprised government is slow. There is a reason why people push for private sector to do stuff. Big monolithic bureaucratic organizations are going to be slow and inefficient. There may be some exceptions but the way it is structured promotes inefficiency.
Yes but there's a difference between the logistics of how long it takes to actually craft a bill vs. performative inefficiency. Slow-moving bipartisan negotiations that we all know are doomed to fail because the GOP does not have 10 good-faith actors is not baked into the DNA of the Senate, it's baked into the DNA of individual senators who fetishize bipartisanship to this counter-productive degree.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit though. They can pass something quickly when they want to. The only time they ever seem to have a sense of urgency is like a week or two before a government shutdown.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit though. They can pass something quickly when they want to. The only time they ever seem to have a sense of urgency is like a week or two before a government shutdown.

Can you give me evidence of times when things are just pushed quickly? I'm guessing it was times a bunch of lobbyists wrote the bill. Someone has to actually write the bills and being slow and careful to make sure it survives court challenge is reasonable.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think the point is it seems like voting bills from the Dems could have been largely completed many months ago? After all, GOP at States level aren't wasting time, and we've all seen this coming for a long time. I get it, it's hard, it just seems like we're moving slower than they are.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you give me evidence of times when things are just pushed quickly? I'm guessing it was times a bunch of lobbyists wrote the bill. Someone has to actually write the bills and being slow and careful to make sure it survives court challenge is reasonable.
Just look at them passing a massive covid relief in a month and a half after Biden took office.

Oct 27, 2017
The childcare payments are going to be eaten into by the cost of this inflationary period. Like the jobs spike earlier in the year, the euphoria will be temporary, but the effect of the assistance will have a longer tail. Children are not yet eligible for vaccinations and it will still cost people time and money out of work to get children through the next few months to when they are eligible, hopefully September. (Just in time for everyone else to start contemplating the possible need of boosters)

Which will mean disaster (political, assuming pols are not as concerned about socioeconomic slide back into poverty) if they are allowed to expire. They won't get the rest of the credit until at least March when the IRS processes the other half of the credit. Until then, not-so-happy holidays.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Today's issue of Tangle is about Joe Manchin and his sunday Op-ed, a pretty reasoned take and hinges upon some major criticisms for Manchin but also the bill itself.

It's interesting to see how Manchin is portrayed in the press versus, say, Susan Collins, John McCain or Lisa Murkowski. The latter were all framed as independent-minded thinkers — McCain called a "maverick" — who bucked their party to do what they thought was right. The default assumption about Manchin seems to be that he's only thinking about getting re-elected in West Virginia, rather than a genuine interest in striving for something better in the Senate.

Is he naive to think Republicans will work with him to pass a voting rights bill — even the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act? Probably. But he's not a villain for opposing the For the People Act — and he's not alone either. Some members of the Black Congressional Caucus oppose the bill's reforms to gerrymandering. The New York Times editorial board fears it doesn't address the changes to vote counting in states like Georgia. Plenty of Democrats are privately frustrated they're wasting time on something that doesn't stand a chance of passing — and never did.

Of course, things could be worse for Democrats. They could not have Manchin's seat at all, which is the most likely outcome if he were to throw his weight behind some of the proposals he is now balking at. That's just the truth of how the center holds in America. The most probable outcome here is that Manchin supports something like the sweeping infrastructure bill to pass via reconciliation (with just 50 votes) while slimming down bills like this in an effort to garner some bipartisan support.

None of this would be an issue, though, if Republican state legislatures weren't trying to push through the bills they are in the first place. Remember: worse than simply gaming the system to function best for their voters, these Republican legislatures — specifically in Georgia, Texas, and Arizona — are actively trying to change the law so it's easier to challenge and overturn election results after the fact. This is not hyperbole. It's a real threat, and it's prompting a proportional freakout from the left. As I write this sentence, there are "auditors" in Arizona conducting such an absurd, comically corrupt recount of the state's ballots that a conservative radio host who once egged it on has now turned against it publicly.

It's worth asking what should be done. Republicans want voter ID laws and extra layers of scrutiny on mail-in ballots. They often point to European countries and the identification laws they have in place. I say fine: let's embrace these reforms, and the model many European countries use more broadly. That would mean automatic voter registration for anyone over 18 and government-provided photo identification to voting-age people. How's that sound? That's the kind of reform we should be pushing.

If one side wants to make voting more accessible and the other side wants to make voting more secure (and they mean it), let's add the layers of security while expanding the accessibility. Democrats proposing bills that outlaw voter identification laws while simultaneously overhauling the way campaigns are financed (in a manner that's constitutionally dubious) is not a smart or tactical way to respond to the suppression efforts from some of these state legislatures. But let's not forget what they are actually responding to.

Now with both sides entrenched in their positions, we're in this quagmire. Manchin has plenty of good reasons to oppose the For the People Act — though saying it's not supported by his constituents is not one of them (it is). The bill goes well beyond just voting accessibility, and it has no chance of garnering a single Republican vote. But Manchin has also made zero progress in soliciting Republican support for something like the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, which I see no good reason not to support. If he can't do that, then he's left stuck between abolishing the filibuster and passing something like the For the People Act or allowing Republican state legislatures in crucial swing states to limit early voting, mail-in voting, and create new mechanisms to overturn elections they've lost. Those are two bad options, but the latter looks a lot worse to me. I'm not sure how long Manchin can hold up under the pressure, but it's only going to get more intense.

www.readtangle.com

Joe Manchin and voting rights.

The West Virginia senator just threw a curveball.

Seems to me Saul is right here, the bill is unlikely to pass with the filibuster, and I don't doubt Manchin is a lightning rod for other moderate Dems. Evolving our voting system to a European styled system, IE automatic voter registration and free IDs, sounds good to me. The issue though is that Republicans don't seem able to even meet in the middle as we saw with the American Rescue Plan. Think I'll be emailing about this one and see how he responds.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is there any polling about the child payments to suggest it is swaying votes? I can see GOP Congress people running in their states taking credit for it, like they have already done with the American Rescue Plan they voted against. Does the average Republican or independent voter even know that money is 100% from the Dems, considering their echo chambers?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the point is it seems like voting bills from the Dems could have been largely completed many months ago? After all, GOP at States level aren't wasting time, and we've all seen this coming for a long time. I get it, it's hard, it just seems like we're moving slower than they are.

You can move quickly when you know everybody in your party will support something, or more importantly, you have a big enough majority to deal with losing a couple votes. Also, the whole actual majority being able to pass things thing. The positives of a minoritarian coalition have majorities in certain parts of the country.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Jon Fav has the right idea on this

Waiting till fall is mind-numbingly ridiculous

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really should be on Manchin's shoulders. If the dude thinks he can find 10 good GOP senators then fucking find them. Prove us wrong. Also you'll need to turn all the Dems that are waffling as well because it's more than Manchin and Sinema so good luck.

Edit: Conflating my Manchin issues but you know what I mean either way fuck that guy.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You were here during that, people were complaining about that NON STOP for taking too long.
Honestly it did take too long. They didn't really do much until they were up against the deadline of unemployment expiring then finally started rushing at the last second. They don't really seem to make any good faith effort to pass anything until there is a deadline like a government shutdown facing them down then rush the last 1-2 weeks to actually pass something.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly it did take too long. They didn't really do much until they were up against the deadline of unemployment expiring then finally started rushing at the last second. They don't really seem to make any good faith effort to pass anything until there is a deadline like a government shutdown facing them down then rush the last 1-2 weeks to actually pass something.
So it took too long but at the same time is an example of Congress moving expediently. For what was in that bill I do think that Congress moved pretty fast to pass it, but it was also a sure thing that it was going to pass. This next voting rights bill is a sure thing that it's going to fail and they all realize that. I do agree with Favreau that they need to pass it quicker and then put pressure on Manchin to find his 10 "good" Republicans that are even capable of negotiating in good faith.

I'm really sick of people just going "oh well" at the bullshit he says and not putting pressure on him to back his words up. If he thinks that "bipartisanship" is legitimately possible then maybe he should get off his ass and try to actually be bipartisan.

Status
Not open for further replies.