• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who will finish second in delegates?

• Williamson / Haley

Votes: 75 32.6%
  • Williamson / DeSantis

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Philips / Haley

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Philips / DeSantis

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Chaos

Votes: 111 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

clown-crying.gif

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
The first one is the hot-mic moment from around the time the ACA was signed where Biden was caught saying it was a "big (bleeping) deal" and then cuts to him at last night's SOTU where Biden says the ACA, Obamacare, is still a big deal.

The second is about how Biden thinks the press isn't talking enough about Trump's dangerous rhetoric and how the reporter notes that Trump's first real big campaign event was in Waco, Texas on the 30th anniversary of the raid that has become a BIG MEME for dangerous right wing anti-government extremists and playing audio of the insurrectionists on January 6th singing the national anthem. Seth is right that this is disturbing shit. (Whether he was high or not, I do not know.)

It was the famous hot mic moment when Biden said Obamacare was a "Big Fuckin Deal". In the SOTU he said Obamacare as still a "big deal"

Thank you!

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
That clip that Seth McFarlane shared of Evan Osnos sounds like it was from his interview on Fresh Air this week.
It's a good listen. It gets into Biden's thinking on a bunch of topics. One bit that I thought was particularly relevant is that Biden decided to take a low profile after Trump was in our faces non stop during his presidency. I get that thinking, but they probably overdid it.

Last edited:

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
3/8 - This week in Climate News

• MIT Review published an article covering the testing of a now 6 time successfully peer reviewed thermoregulated superconducting magnet. This new superconductor shattered the previous superconductive magnetism record. What makes this new magnet so exciting is that all previous candidates for a sustained fusion reaction would have necessitated both a size and cost for the design of the fusion device that is simply not feasible at any level of scale. This new superconductive magnet would reduce the cost to start and maintain the fusion reaction by a factor of 40 and allow for reactor designs that are not only vastly more efficient but at a fraction of the size of current testing.

You can view the 6 peer reviewed studies here

• Next we have an episode of This is CDR hosted by the founder of a Carbon Capture startup called Holocene. Her presentation is extremely comprehensive and gives a great snapshot of the current realities of atmospheric carbon and what will be needed to meet or exceed the targets we have to curb the impacts of climate change. What sets Holocene apart from other carbon capture companies is their 4 stage thermochemical carbon capture process. Their process utilizes a series of patented chemical reactions to reduce energy costs substantially lower than any competing thermochemical carbon capture companies thereby cutting the costs to capture dramatically while also avoiding the more hazardous byproducts created by electrochemical carbon capture.

Its clear that any path to climate harm mitigation is going to require carbon capture and that these technologies will play a vital role in our efforts. Companies like this that innovate new ways to make this process more efficient and cheaper are what make large scale carbon capture more than just a pipe dream.

You can learn more about Holocene and their work on their website here

• The International Energy Agency released their emissions year in review report that shows China increased CO2 emissions by over 400 million metric tons last year. By far the largest increase increase of any country in the entire world with India coming up in second with under 200 million

In all the coverage of the "green energy boom" in China there are some important factors that tend to get glossed over. First, China is using these clean energy developments to try and prop up their economy and as a result they are making them as fast as possible regardless of the climate or human costs involved. The vast majority of the materials being used for these developments are created with literal slave labor of a minority Muslim community that's being forced to work unpaid in re education centers and is produced using the most unrefined dirtiest burning coal. Second, the money for all these projects is being funneled directly into the hands party loyalists and the focus has been on localized projects for wealthier communities instead of a general shift towards universal clean energy or the grids to facilitate a nationwide shift. The result is sloppy, less efficient and disjointed projects with a focus on flooding the economy with rapid spending at any cost instead of actual sustainable development

• Politico published an article that shows a growing percentage of Republican voters are extremely supportive of solar, wind and other sustainable energy development projects. Of course the key takeaway is that the support is broadest with younger voters (18 to 29) but the overall share represents an exponential increase over just 5 years ago and even the staunchest (and oldest) age group is seeing major growth in this issue. It's an encouraging trend and one that tells a story of mounting support for sustainable energy that has gradually continued to unfold over the past decade

• Next up we have two articles from Nature and Axios that lay out the stakes of elections this year in the US and Internationally that will be pivotal to the world efforts to combat climate change.
    Axios provides a model of the direct emissions cost of Trump's policy proposals thus far totaling an increase of more than 4 billion tons of carbon emissions over 2005 levels in comparison to a 43% cut to 2005 level emissions with Biden's policies. While Biden's current proposals fall short of the 52% goal it's important to note that this is just what's already proposed and implemented and doesn't account for any future legislation that might be proposed of which there will undoubtedly be.

Internationally the Nature article highlights key races in India, Indonesia Russia and the EU and provides insight into the costly policies in play in these countries. Everything from continued reliance on coal to increased nickel and copper mining at the expense of the environment. I know we say this often but the stakes are truly high this year all around the world and people are being confronted with the choice between counting down the path of no return or forging a new path with the potential for a better future.

• The EPA has announced it is dropping some highly anticipated mandates for natural gas power plants. While this is admittedly frustrating the logic here is actually encouraging. Under the existing guidelines the EPA would only be able to enforce the mandates on a small subset of existing natural gas plants. Their goal here is to drop the current guidelines in order to create more robust wider reaching mandates that they can enforce across the entire existing natural gas industry. It's a gamble and one that will undoubtedly have costs in the short term but if they can pull it off it would represent a huge increase in overall emissions reductions over the next two decades.

It continues to be frustrating seeing how hamstring the EPA is with review processes and enforcement but I take solace that is at least clear the current EPA is committed to maximizing the impact they can have.

• This week in news that makes you seethe: the Exxon CEO Darren Woods told Fortune that the fault for the climate crisis lies squarely with the public for "Waiting too long." This of course ignores the prolific disinformation campaign Exxon itself engaged in to mislead and misdirect public support for the past 4 decades despite knowing internally exactly what the costs of continued reliance on fossil fuels would represent.

• An article from Bloomberg highlights all the ways we are expanding the possibilities for solar energy by changing what a solar energy installation looks like. Everything from floating solar arrays to repurposed industrial plants and golf courses or even solar by way of community murals and street art. What is clear is that more and more communities are excited about the potential solar energy brings and as costs continue to decrease and subsidies continue to flow theres no telling how wild the future of solar will look.

• Speaking of Solar, Reuters published a brief article highlighting the impact the IRA is poised have on solar installations in the US this year after helping to increase residential solar energy generated nationwide by a whopping 51% last year.

• The New York Times published a piece that breaks down the adoption of Hybrid and Electric vehicles across the country. While the results are somewhat predictable it does further back up the evidence that building charging infrastructure has a meaningful impact on peoples willingness to buy electric vehicles as it is almost in direct correlation to the results form the study. Even though the vast majority of EV owners charge their vehicles at home its clear the backup of charging infrastructure is essential to spur wider adoption.

• Politico has an article talking about the impact the Biden Administration's decision to expand the eligibility for clean energy tax credits to public and nonprofit organizations will have on the future of renewable energy across the country. Also highlighted here is the new expanded credits that were recently passed specifically for semiconductor fabrication. This is vital since these new semiconductor factories will lead to steep increase in energy demands across the communities they are being built as talked about in this verge article. This recent credit expansion will help fund the development of new renewable and sustainable energy to power these factories while also funding the construction and expansion of a more modern and much more efficient resilient grid to meet those demands.

• Cipher has continued coverage on the exploration of Geologic Hydrogen and the explosion of funding and interest it has seen over the course of this year. The article is a good summation of many of the updates I've posted previously with a few new snippets like the breakaway on the difficulty in locating geologic hydrogen and how various companies are looking into navigating that.

• MIT published a study showing that notable increases in emissions around the country corresponded with declines int he availability of hydropower in communities that have historically relied heavily on it. This is yet another hitherto unimagined knock on effect of climate change that has the potential to create a cascading effect. The piece cites studies showing that hydro power generation capacity could drop as much as 20% over the course of the decade with more than a quarter of plants worldwide impacted.

• Canary Media and Bloomberg both published articles detailing initiatives that are pioneering ways to recycle and reuse components from wind farms. Canary Media's article talks about an Energy Department program that recycle wind turbine batteries to reduce the mining of rare earth minerals. The program is funding research from a variety of different outfits to come up with ways to efficiently and cheaply recycle the existing minerals and metals present in the wind turbine generator magnets including a team at Univeristy of Utah that came up with a chemical process to convert magnet scrap into high purity metals. The Bloomberg article puts a spotlight on a specific Taiwanese company called Swancor that is attempting to make recyclable and reusable wind turbine blades. Swancor's new resin offers the same reliable performance of existing carbon fiber resins with the added ability to be easily dissolved to allow fo simpler and faster disassembly and recycling. It's a simple small change that could represent a stark decrease in cost to repurpose old wind turbine blades and materials

• And finally the last item of the week this week. Time magazine released their list of the Top Greentech Companies of 2024 with ZeroAvia a hydrogen electric aviation company taking the top spot. It's a solid list but I find myself a bit puzzled by their logic/methodology on the rankings overall. At the very least it's a good starting point to dig in and learn a bit more about some promising green companies

Last edited:

TopDreg

Oct 26, 2017
I guess the forum policy is that you can't detail how Hamas is instrumental to the Israel - Palestine conflict continuing, for some reason. I have no idea how Brady's comment is inflammatory.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I guess the forum policy is that you can't detail how Hamas is instrumental to the Israel - Palestine conflict continuing, for some reason. I have no idea how Brady's comment is inflammatory.
Yeah I don't get that one either. My guess is that it was just overall his commentary going on and not just that specific comment?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't get that one either. My guess is that it was just overall his commentary going on and not just that specific comment?
The mods have shown who they are. We see you for what you are. I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers that cower in fear of you and don't bother posting.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'd be pretty weird to put the ban message and reason in the post that didn't contain the offense.
I don't know sometimes they seem to do that. Like somebody gets banned after a long series of posts and they backtrack to like one of the first posts they made. Just something I have noticed coming here years now. Not speaking for the mods or anything.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Hamas, the governing body of Gaza, which began this entire war by launching a surprise invasion of their neighbor that killed at least 1200 people and took hostages should reconsider their refusal to release said hostages which, according to the UN, are being used as sex slaves and actually agree to one of the ceasefire deals brokered by Egypt and Qatar to allow breathing space for all sides to work towards a more lasting peace agreement. But as of now they adamantly refuse.
I would like to add my support to the notion that Hamas should agree to a ceasefire, release their hostages, and that they should not use sexual violence against hostages or anyone else.

Brady should not have been banned for merely pushing Hamas for a ceasefire and repeating what the UN said here:

Based on the information it gathered, the mission team found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment has been committed against hostages and has reasonable grounds to believe that such violence may be ongoing against those still held in captivity.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
You learn quickly here not to engage in discussions past a certain point. Really what you look for in a forum.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, it's me!

I've noticed the same, and it's why I stick to Gaming and only get into political posts when I can shit on Ted Cruz, as is my right as a Texan. Plus everyone's fine with that anyway.
Welcome, lurker! I understand not wanting to post. There are bad faith posters that try to "gotcha" by putting words in your mouth that you didn't say. No nuance on topics. Only one accepted truth. It makes them feel real strong. My advice to them is to just to do some push ups. Maybe, purchase some free weights.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After declaring Israel should not exist and needs to go was not deemed inflammatory, I have no idea what the word means anymore.
Yeah mod team has explicitly endorsed the view that Israel should not exist. That's the only conclusion one could make when posts calling for it to cease to exist are not actioned even after reporting it.

A dangerous policy.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How in the world is this ban worthy? What is inflammatory in his statement?

The mods have shown who they are. We see you for what you are. I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers that cower in fear of you and don't bother posting.

I'll never forget or forgive the admin who blamed the collective nation of Jewish people in a post and it's the reason why I rarely post here anymore. Just straight up anti-Semitic rhetoric that would be at home on Stormfront.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
Aside from the occasional day when I'm bored, I don't post much, so I fully accept my thoughts don't matter.

That said, I'll give some defense for the mods, because the forum writ large (including this thread and other insular threads) have very much decided that there should be a party line for a wide variety of subjects. Once you make that determination, you have no real choice but to go through with it. The problem with soviet-style political correctness is that, as so many soviets learned, there's a very wide splash zone when you've moved even slightly off the line.

But still, right of wrong, once you decide that sites or ideas or people will not be tolerated, content on the margins is going to be hammered, because otherwise the party line comes into question and is at that point meaningless. There is no way around it.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017

It possibly was inflammatory, I don't know, but there's lots of inflammatory posts (genocide joe as an example is highly inflammatory) that I've never seen actioned. Just comes off inconsistent more than anything to where some inflammatory posts get actioned while others are ignored. To be fair, I've never reported a genocide Joe post or anything so maybe it would get actioned but I just assume there's people reporting posts constantly out there that surely one has been reported or seen by a mod before

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How in the world is this ban worthy? What is inflammatory in his statement?

I'll never forget or forgive the admin who blamed the collective nation of Jewish people in a post and it's the reason why I rarely post here anymore. Just straight up anti-Semitic rhetoric that would be at home on Stormfront.
We definitely need to call out anti-semitism as much as we call out anti-trans. 💯

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

Thus is so true that it fucking hurts; anything extreme thing trump does is basically "another Tuesday." But the smallest gaffe Biden does is worthy enough for us to contemplate his cognitive ability to hold office; it's likeliving in the twilight zone.

The media is so starved for a even playing field for the candidates that something like the tweet above; a presidential candidate going to Waco, TX on the 30 anniversary of the infamous FBI raid, while playing footage of the J6 insurrection , with the National anthem playing sang by J6 insurrectionist barely last 24 hours in our news cycle…its just maddening

(Also this is my first post in this thread so hello all)

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thus is so true that it fucking hurts; anything extreme thing trump does is basically "another Tuesday." But the smallest gaffe Biden does is worthy enough for us to contemplate his cognitive ability to hold office; it's likeliving in the twilight zone.

The media is so starved for a even playing field for the candidates that something like the tweet above; a presidential candidate going to Waco, TX on the 30 anniversary of the infamous FBI raid, while playing footage of the J6 insurrection , with the National anthem playing sang by J6 insurrectionist barely last 24 hours in our news cycle…its just maddening

(Also this is my first post in this thread so hello all)
Congrats on your first post in PoliEra thread. *Inserts wacky radio first time caller sound*

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome, lurker! I understand not wanting to post. There are bad faith posters that try to "gotcha" by putting words in your mouth that you didn't say. No nuance on topics. Only one accepted truth. It makes them feel real strong. My advice to them is to just to do some push ups. Maybe, purchase some free weights.

I generally just don't pursue arguments here past the first or second reply at this point. If it looks like I've fled from a discussion, so be it, I'll be the lame internet person.

I might try to post more, especially as the election gets closer, since I'll be reading the topic anyway. But I'm never going to touch the Israel situation. It's just not worth the risk.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I would like to add my support to the notion that Hamas should agree to a ceasefire, release their hostages, and that they should not use sexual violence against hostages or anyone else.

Brady should not have been banned for merely pushing Hamas for a ceasefire and repeating what the UN said here:

Based on the information it gathered, the mission team found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment has been committed against hostages and has reasonable grounds to believe that such violence may be ongoing against those still held in captivity.

It's honestly embarrassing at this point.
You learn quickly here not to engage in discussions past a certain point. Really what you look for in a forum.
Truly unfortunate, but this is indeed the case.
It possibly was inflammatory, I don't know, but there's lots of inflammatory posts (genocide joe as an example is highly inflammatory) that I've never seen actioned. Just comes off inconsistent more than anything to where some inflammatory posts get actioned while others are ignored. To be fair, I've never reported a genocide Joe post or anything so maybe it would get actioned but I just assume there's people reporting posts constantly out there that surely one has been reported or seen by a mod before
I think this is fair, and personally, I find Genocide Joe quite inflammatory. Let's hope that the moderation team actually takes those reports as serious as regurgitating the UN's own wording.

Also, there's a poster that comes in to stir the shit around the I/P conflict and then dips, just need to start ignoring them.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I just assume there's people reporting posts constantly out there that surely one has been reported or seen by a mod before

That's a wrong assumption. I used to wonder why on half my reports, even if they the post ends up getting actioned, I didn't hear anything back from the mods. Until I caught up to the fact that this probably means the post was actioned because of a different member's report, who received the feedback.

Which also means the other half of times where I do get a notification about the outcome, I was the first or maybe only one to ever report it.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I generally just don't pursue arguments here past the first or second reply at this point. If it looks like I've fled from a discussion, so be it, I'll be the lame internet person.

I might try to post more, especially as the election gets closer, since I'll be reading the topic anyway. But I'm never going to touch the Israel situation. It's just not worth the risk.
It shouldn't be risky to call Hamas a terrorist group. It shouldn't be risky to call out anti-semitism when it's clearly displayed. It shouldn't be risky to call Houthis terrorists. But, I get your point. It's true, all of it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of disgusting that members are allowed to call for the destruction of Israel, argue from the side of Hamas as if it is in good faith like they haven't raped, murdered, and publicly executed the hostages that they took, but pointing out the ills of Hamas is somehow inflammatory.

It is blatantly obvious the double standard when we're suppose to let people who hate Israel "vent" but they can shit talk the community with respect to people supporting Biden or condemning Hamas.

The staff has a side and it doesn't pay to not be on it.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

I'm not really sure how saying that Hamas is a terrorist group practicing sex slavery who's standing in the way of a cease fire as much as Bibi and his cronies are is inflammatory. Uncomfortable, maybe. But "any stuff that makes me or like-minded people uncomfortable should be banned" is how those Florida book bans came about and I'm not really certain if that's the kind of crowd this forum's moderating staff should be wanting to take its cues from.

If criticising Hamas and their role in the conflict is all it takes to get kicked out for a month, maybe it would take a lot of ambiguity away if the staff simply made a sticky post saying "This is our position on the I/P conflict. Deviation is against the forum rules as of today".

It certainly wouldn't look good, but it kinda feels like it already exists as an unspoken rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.