Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
These rules are going to be gone when the GOP takes back the House. I don't see how this isn't bad and pretty much blackmailing Pelosi.

People keep asserting this, but I don't think there's any evidence for it. Once you enact a reform that strengthens individual members, it's very hard to get individual members to roll it back again.

Also, frankly, I don't actually think Pelosi needs the power to stop bills that a majority of Congress supports from becoming law.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
These rules are going to be gone when the GOP takes back the House. I don't see how this isn't bad and pretty much blackmailing Pelosi.
Maybe, maybe not.

They also lobbied Ryan for these changes. The document describing the reforms has been available for months and months, way before they lost the House.

Also, they might keep them because the changes empower individual members of both parties regardless of who holds the gavel. Brother pigeon made this point to me, and I see he made it to you above.

The Speaker still controls the House, sets the schedule, can force votes on bills (just can no longer prevent votes on overwhelmingly popular ones, like DACA), and still has all his/her constitutional power.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of glad that people are coming around to weakening the Speaker being an okay thing.

If these changes had existed last Congress DACA would be law today.
But will these limitations still exist next time republicans have power?

The rules generally seem fine but I'm not a fan of "fixing" government every time dems have power only to have republicans break it to give them more of an advantage every time they gain power.

Have a similar worry when it comes to gerrymandering. If we're tying one hand behind our back in blue states while republicans are throwing full punches with both hands, rules intended to fix government end up being exploited by republicans to do the opposite over the long term.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Ryan/Moulton/etc. bringing a nerf gun to a warzone and getting their base overrun because of it.
People keep asserting this, but I don't think there's any evidence for it. Once you enact a reform that strengthens individual members, it's very hard to get individual members to roll it back again.

Also, frankly, I don't actually think Pelosi needs the power to stop bills that a majority of Congress supports from becoming law.
GOP requires the "Hastert Rule" in order to keep the FC from revolting- their internal issues are different than the ones the Dems have.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, maybe not.

They also lobbied Ryan for these changes. The document describing the reforms has been available for months and months, way before they lost the House.

Also, they might keep them because the changes empower individual members of both parties regardless of who holds the gavel. Brother pigeon made this point to me, and I see he made it to you above.

The Speaker still controls the House, sets the schedule, can force votes on bills (just can no longer prevent votes on overwhelmingly popular ones, like DACA), and still has all his/her constitutional power.
The problem solving caucus is half gop, half dem. Why didn't more republicans push Ryan to accept these rules back when they were proposed? How did these rules get their in the first place if members value their individual power so much when many of the proposals are just reversing changes republicans made? Seems very optimistic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem solving caucus is half gop, half dem. Why didn't more republicans push Ryan to accept these rules back when they were proposed? How did these rules get their in the first place if members value their individual power so much? Seems very optimistic.
The only reason the PS are empowered here is because of the Ryan/Moulton crew. Paul Ryan had a larger majority than Pelosi does now and the FC are a larger % of the GOP house membership, making it easier for them to extract direct concessions.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
The problem solving caucus is half gop, half dem. Why didn't more republicans push Ryan to accept these rules back when they were proposed? How did these rules get their in the first place if members value their individual power so much when many of the proposals are just reversing changes republicans made? Seems very optimistic.

The only reason the PS are empowered here is because of the Ryan/Moulton crew. Paul Ryan had a larger majority than Pelosi does now and the FC are a larger % of the GOP house membership, making it easier for them to extract direct concessions.
Also, GOP leadership the last two years was more concerned with adhering to the Pedophile Rule and placating the Freedom Caucus, hence Ryan's ignoring these reforms... and thus not passing popular bills like DACA.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I think they do at the committee level moreso than at the Speakership level.
Right. They weaken the Rules Committee more than anything.

Right now, the Rules Committee can pass "closed rules" for most bills, blocking debate and amendments on the floor. These reforms would require a 3/5 majority to impose such a rule - in other words, the bills passed without amendments are probably going to be popular and/or inoffensive anyway.

The only practical change is that we'll have to vote down a bunch of GOP amendments on our bills because progressive legislation isn't getting the 3/5 to be passed under closed rules, but they'll still be passed in whatever form the Democratic majority wants because we have the overall numbers advantage to pass the bills and reject GOP amendments.

Let me phrase it another way: we want Pelosi and co. to investigate Trump and pass popular legislation and dare him to veto it. These reforms impede neither of those goals.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

House Republicans haven't had a humbling since the 2010 midterms.

Sucks that it took their loss to want to do this, but that shouldn't prevent Dems from changing the rules to where they would want them to be the next time they're in the minority

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
But will these limitations still exist next time republicans have power?

I still think so, yes.

It's one thing to assume Republicans are all disgusting quislings that will always support whatever is worst for America, but it's another to assume they will happily vote for their power to be taken away and vested in the Speaker. The last two years are mostly evidence of how little power the Speaker actually has to force reps to advance the Speaker's agenda.

Have a similar worry when it comes to gerrymandering. If we're tying one hand behind our back in blue states while republicans are throwing full punches with both hands, rules intended to fix government end up being exploited by republicans to do the opposite over the long term.

On this one I think we mostly have no choice. The GOP can be antidemocratic because they are, actually, antidemocratic in their goals. If our ultimate desire is pluralistic democratic values we need to start as we mean to go on. Vanguard liberalism has been tried and it wasn't great. I for one do not want to rename all the months. Think of the wasted calendars!

The stuff about the Speaker and the Rules Committee goes back til 1950 at least. The most recent change relevant to these rules is probably making discharge petitions public knowledge in 1993.

Right. They weaken the Rules Committee more than anything.

Right now, the Rules Committee can pass "closed rules" for most bills, blocking debate and amendments on the floor. These reforms would require a 3/5 majority to impose such a rule - in other words, the bills passed without amendments are probably going to be popular and/or inoffensive anyway.

The only practical change is that we'll have to vote down a bunch of GOP amendments on our bills because progressive legislation isn't getting the 3/5 to be passed under closed rules, but they'll still be passed in whatever form the Democratic majority wants because we have the overall numbers advantage to pass the bills and reject GOP amendments.

Let me phrase it another way: we want Pelosi and co. to investigate Trump and pass popular legislation and dare him to veto it. These reforms impede neither of those goals.

This is right, although I would note that the Speaker staffs the Rules Committee, so in effect it's just the Speaker's cabinet. Also, we can probably pass semi-closed rules, so not very bill will be votarama. We'll have to allow one or two germane amendments to get votes.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
It's Ryan/Moulton/etc. bringing a nerf gun to a warzone and getting their base overrun because of it.

GOP requires the "Hastert Rule" in order to keep the FC from revolting- their internal issues are different than the ones the Dems have.

I still find it hilarious they have that so called "Hastert Rule" given his child diddling nature.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
So now that Katie Hobbs has won the Secretary of State office (Gaynor conceded last night), we picked up 3 of the statewide offices up this cycle (SoS, Superintendent, Senator), and lost Gov, AG, Treasurer, and Mine Inspector. Not bad! And SoS is the 2nd position, so if Ducey leaves for some reason, Hobbs becomes governor.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
More napkin math:

The current rules for house committee ratios seem ill-defined so I can't really estimate how it'd look with current rules moving forward with the dem house, but:

If republicans had enacted the rules themselves for the current congress, it would have taken them from a margin of +120 committee seats (now) to a margin of about +82 committee seats (now, but with proposed rules). Dems will only have about +60 committee seat margin in the next congress with these rules.

Last edited:

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
So now that Katie Hobbs has won the Secretary of State office (Gaynor conceded last night), we picked up 3 of the statewide offices up this cycle (SoS, Superintendent, Senator), and lost Gov, AG, Treasurer, and Mine Inspector. Not bad! And SoS is the 2nd position, so if Ducey leaves for some reason, Hobbs becomes governor.

Righteous.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Soon":

John Hudson @John_Hudson

Sarah Sanders confirms that the president did speak with Secretary of State Pompeo and CIA Director Haspel during his flight. She says State Dept will have a statement soon. Expectation is something on Khashoggi and CIA assessment

less

Oct 25, 2017
I have no expectations of Trump pinning the blame on Mbs or at least naming him as a strong candidate. If Trump remains true to his usual self it'll be a trashfire of a statement.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Arizona became a swing state right under everyone's noses.

Tried to tell y'all, people dismissed Flake's close win in 2012 and Clinton's close loss in 2016. Yeah Trump is expediting it but the pieces have been there for a long time.

Put it this way, compare Arizona and Georgia to Missouri and Indiana. Obama fought hard for all those states (except AZ which was written off due to McCain's favorite son status), and even won Indiana. Four years later he didn't campaign in any of them. Romney scored near double-digit wins in Indiana and Missouri, two states that were previously decided by razor thin margins, while Arizona and Georgia more or less states the same with neither party lifting a finger.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Who can we run in Alaska.

Sullivan only won by 3 points even in an absolutely trash year for Dems

Murkowski was pushed by her consituents to vote with us on most major political fights outside of the one she was bribed on

Sullivan voted for everything and his approvals are trash

We can flip that seat and need to go hard for it

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Ducey's term limited so this is a real thing. He could have run for McCains seat in '20 but now it seems more likely he'll wait until '22, if the Dems hold it.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't know Nixon made a serious push for Health care back in the 70s until recently. Read through the plans. It looked amazing for the time

Why the fuck didn't we jump on that.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The UK is just diet America right now

Almost same level of insanity just masked in an extra layer of sillyness

XA16lZo.png

lawdjspel.png
Even if that were true, how does that make police better?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck didn't we jump on that.
Because we assumed the next Democratic president would be as progressive as the Congress was at the time.

Carter was to the right of congressional Democrats.

If Ted Kennedy had taken the deal, we basically would've had the ACA in the '70s, and we could've been improving upon it this whole time. It would also have been safe from Republican sabotage because they never had a trifecta until 2001. Tip O'Neill as Speaker and Bill as president would've kept the system safe.

The lesson was to get whatever good stuff you can from the GOP and then fix the small issues later. It's the view I take toward this criminal justice bill.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
How...how could you be a fan of Mariah Fucking Carey and not know where she'd side on Kap issue?

Did they just...I dunno, develop amnesia on the entirety of her career post-her debut album? I mean, Mariah is hella about that blackness.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona became a swing state right under everyone's noses.

Tried to tell y'all, people dismissed Flake's close win in 2012 and Clinton's close loss in 2016. Yeah Trump is expediting it but the pieces have been there for a long time.

Put it this way, compare Arizona and Georgia to Missouri and Indiana. Obama fought hard for all those states (except AZ which was written off due to McCain's favorite son status), and even won Indiana. Four years later he didn't campaign in any of them. Romney scored near double-digit wins in Indiana and Missouri, two states that were previously decided by razor thin margins, while Arizona and Georgia more or less states the same with neither party lifting a finger.

A colleague and I were talking about AZ, and he was adamant that AZ wasn't a swing state. So I told him to pull up their last statewide elections and check the trend lol.

British politics is very stupid right now.

At least Trump can be gone after awhile. Brexit looks to be permanent since no major party (with a shot at No. 10) in the UK opposes Brexit.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Because we assumed the next Democratic president would be as progressive as the Congress was at the time.

Carter was to the right of congressional Democrats.

If Ted Kennedy had taken the deal, we basically would've had the ACA in the '70s, and we could've been improving upon it this whole time. It would also have been safe from Republican sabotage because they never had a trifecta until 2001. Tip O'Neill as Speaker and Bill as president would've kept the system safe.

The lesson was to get whatever good stuff you can from the GOP and then fix the small issues later. It's the view I take toward this criminal justice bill.
We really thought a return to FDR/LBJ electoral dominance was right around the corner didn't we

Only to be straight up fucked over and over for decades. Ugh.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Katie Hobbs being SoS gives us more than a legitimate shot at winning AZ in 2020. I still maintain that Hillary would've won it sans Comey. At the very least it would've been a nailbiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.