Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I've always wondered why deeply Red states like WV, SC, MS and AL are so poor while their blue counterparts are doing way better.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
20th amendment specifies dates for congress to convene and for the president to be inaugurated.

wikipedia says they picked early dates to reduce lame-duck sessions as much as possible, because lame-duck sessions were even longer under the original dates.

maybe they give the president a couple extra weeks to allow for transition work to go more smoothly? idk.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Because of the Great Depression.

At the time of Roosevelt's election in 1932, the new president and Congress assumed office the following March, yielding an extremely long lame-duck period. In early 1933, Roosevelt had to wait months before he could actually begin implementing his programs. To prevent this issue in the future, Congress passed an amendment moving the inauguration to January 20 and the Congress's assumption of office to January 3.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the Great Depression.

At the time of Roosevelt's election in 1932, the new president and Congress assumed office the following March, yielding an extremely long lame-duck period. In early 1933, Roosevelt had to wait months before he could actually begin implementing his programs. To prevent this issue in the future, Congress passed an amendment moving the inauguration to January 20 and the Congress's assumption of office to January 3.
What exactly do you need to have pass an amendment?

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Okay, but we're not winning Wyoming or Idaho no matter how "state specific" a candidate we run. It just won't happen, hence my focusing on the ones in tossup or even light blue states (Maine).

And people started buzzing about TX when the 2016 margin was closer than OH.

What are folks like Tom Daschle up to nowadays. 2014 is when we lost many of these red states I don't see why we couldn't get them back. Idaho and Wyoming sure are longer than long shots but still there are other more narrowly defined red states that I could see going blue depending on the economy, Trump, and personal scandals. Montana, Iowa, Louisiana are all close states two of which have democratic Governors. I just figure they should have to really work for it.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
(a) 2/3 of each chamber of Congress plus ratification by 3/4 of state legislatures. (The president plays no part.)

OR

(b) a constitutional convention, which has never been called, and no one has any idea of what it would entail.
Wasn't the 21st Amendment passed by state conventions?
edit: I see that's an alternate form of (a), state conventions instead of legislatures

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the 21st Amendment passed by state conventions?
State ratifying conventions =/= constitutional convention

State ratifying conventions occur ONLY after 2/3 of each chamber of Congress has passed an amendment and sent it to the states with which to deal. Only the 21st has been passed in this way, as I noted in my post above.

Constitutional conventions must be called by 2/3 of the states. They take it to Congress in that scenario, not vice versa.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most poorest, least educated, #1 in worse places to live in, #1 in Obesity and other health related issues. Its an embarrassment and the black vote is being shackled by the overwhelming white majority voting against their own interest.
itCBhOD.png

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi is a pipedream at this moment. Demographics only work if the Southern strategy hadn't poisoned the people for so long against each other.

I wouldn't put too much faith in it. Also, she's not as terrible a candidate as Moore was.

Seriously, Moore was a pedophile and barely lost.

Smith's crime is being a devout racist who wishes the south had won. That's not going to lose her any support from Republicans.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi is really 40% black and we're still not competitive? That's kinda odd. You figure black people turnout like no other group, so all we need to do is win what, like 25% of white people? What's the math there.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi is really 40% black and we're still not competitive? That's kinda odd. You figure black people turnout like no other group, so all we need to do is win what, like 25% of white people? What's the math there.
I believe MS is the most inelastic state in the US. A quarter of white people is a tall order when it's the most racist white population in the country.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Most of the South you need somewhere between 30-40% of the white vote depending on the make up of the electorate but its always going be 30% minimum.

Most Democrats get 10-15% normally and its getting the last 15-20% to make it to the 30-40 range is always the hard part.

Like Auto said in most diverse states such as NJ, NY etc Democrats can easily count on a strong plurality of whites even without actually winning them coupled with strong minority edge to easily win.

No such thing in the South

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Because we won't get 25% of white people.
Right. In most states Democrats can count on at least 35% of the white vote, even higher in some educated states and areas.

Mississippi is the poorest, most racially polarized state in the country. I think that poll had Espy getting 15% of white voters.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think kornacki said you need to pull 96-4 in the black demographic and then peel away 20% of the white demographic. It's not going to happen.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi is the most racially polarized state in the country. It's not that weird Democrats can't do better than 15% of white voters even on a good day.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

MS is very rural. Only one city over 100k (Jackson) and 1 other city over 50k.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
I think the South was never industrialized like the North for the last few centuries and the devastation from the civil war didn't help either.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
hot take We should have combined some of the southern states during reconstruction. Specifically to dilute the representation in the senate.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately the North was also really racist so I don't know how much Reconstruction changes if events are different.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately the North was also really racist so I don't know how much Reconstruction changes if events are different.

EDIT: nope i was wrong.
pretty sure organizations like the KKK only formed and began lynching people after the federal government withdrew the Reconstruction-enforcement troops from the south.

Last edited:

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So, democrats have a judiciary problem coming up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...34a2b33be52_story.html?utm_term=.ef3916de3327

Yet unless Democrats strike a deal, either with the Senate's Republican majority or with fellow Democrats on the committee, numbers and seniority dictate that Harris will be out — and that has liberal groups scrambling to save her position.

But there is little incentive for McConnell to accommodate a presumed Democratic star in the making, save for progressive groups promising a backlash if she is removed. Some Republican officials already believe the 21-member panel is too large, and with members Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) retiring, there is little reason for Republicans to expand their own ranks.

But some members still wish Feinstein would step aside and allow the panel's No. 2 Democrat, Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), who has worked with Graham on matters from immigration to criminal-justice reform, to take over. There are some who believe he would be a more reliable and energetic challenger against the often irascible Graham, especially when it comes to the GOP's efforts to confirm conservative judges, according to people familiar with members' thinking.

The long and short of it someone will probably have to go, and after her performance over the summer, that person should be Feinstein, except she's the ranking member, so good luck getting her to abdicate. Considering Grassley is out, the logic of getting rid of the other geriatric makes sense.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People forget that right after the civil war, many black citizens were elected to office and started to implement changes in the South, which was possible since the North's military was down there enforcing the rule of law.

When they were sold out by the Republicans and Reconstruction ended, they literally had their fairly elected seats stolen by gunpoint and were marched out of state legislatures. Ex-Confederates used their stolen seats and quickly and immediately started passing laws to shut the door behind them.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
So, democrats have a judiciary problem coming up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...34a2b33be52_story.html?utm_term=.ef3916de3327

The long and short of it someone will probably have to go, and after her performance over the summer, that person should be Feinstein, except she's the ranking member, so good luck getting her to abdicate. Considering Grassley is out, the logic of getting rid of the other geriatric makes sense.
Has Coons done anything meaningful either? Supposedly he helped convince Flake to budge on that one week delay, but Flake is gone and all that ended up being meaningless anyway.

It'd be a shame if anyone but him or Feinstein gets kicked off. Especially Harris. Removing Harris should not be an option. Fuck all those more senior democrats if they don't make way for skilled young blood like her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.