• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me, what stops the new company from selling the same data it current collects to whoever?
If that transaction is legal then nothing. The goal of this legislation is to reduce the barriers that currently prevent a Chinese company like Tiktok from being effectively punished for illegal use of user data which do not exist for other companies based in the US or other countries which the US has normal trade and judicial relations with.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
The typical Era xenophobic takes on this are pretty tired. This is why so much of Asian Era left.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why the US government is so concerned with just Tik Tok. You have companies like Tencent that completely own or own a significant portion of major videogame companies like Riot, Supercell and Epic games and no one really seems to care about that.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why the US government is so concerned with just Tik Tok. You have companies like Tencent that completely own or own a significant portion of major videogame companies like Riot, Supercell and Epic games and no one really seems to care about that.
Facebook stock
current-year-performance-chart-Facebook-Inc.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This law will give the government the power to regulate other Chinese companies if needed, but thus far there have been few major concerns about other companies from the privacy or security perspective that this law is focused on. If Tencent were found to be abusing their American customers' data as Tiktok has then things would be different. Tencent has operated with a very hands-off management approach for most of its foreign subsidiaries which is unlike ByteDance's fairly heavy-handed approach towards TikTok.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
Good, it's awful enough how much data is mined but I'd rather the data of a much younger crowd be accessible by any government let alone China. It will run just as fine by a non Chinese company just like how it was when it was an app called music.ly.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta drive those youths to facebook, a good solid american company who steals your data and has been proven to use their influence for nefarious purposes. Instead of tiktok, an evil chinese company who steals your data and could possibly use their influence for nefarious purposes.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Is China putting you on lists and spying on your political activity, wiretapping you, getting you arrested and putting you in prison without due cause?

If you are a Muslim Uighur, yes. Absolutely. We used to have a sticky post related to it.

I think it is clear that Xi Jing Ping is worse than Biden and while Trump gives Xi a sociopathic run for his money, Xi has successfully installed himself as Emperor of China by removing his 2-term limit.

He has backstabbed Hong Kong and locked up the best of them, some for life, and is about to escalate his support of another emperor, Putin the bloody, with weapons.

I love China, chinese people and chinese culture but I have no love for Xi.

May 14, 2021
CCP knows all about banning apps from other countries, so I'm sure they'll be fine with this. Also fuck the CCP and all of its defense force.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
You will ban TikTok at your own political peril.

It will flame out and not be a problem or you can regulate it in a way that had broader data privacy implications to everyone, but an outright ban is going to be a political perilous action.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Well the US can isolate itself further I guess. No one is stopping using TikTok outside.

While China does the same with FB and the like, I don't think doing what China does is the way to go for the US.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
CCP knows all about banning apps from other countries, so I'm sure they'll be fine with this. Also fuck the CCP and all of its defense force.
No, you see, not wanting your data to end up in the hands of the Chinese government, which is notorious for its tracking of people (even beyond Chinese borders), censorship, making people disappear into 'reeducation camps' and ofcourse let's not forget genocide, is xenophobic.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I've yet to hear a good reason why China knowing I'm a nerd who likes science and puppies is bad. Oh sure I feel sooooo much safer with zuck and musk. I'm not even saying that to be pissy. If someone can give me a real explanation why I shouldn't let China have my algorithm data I'm open to hearing it. I've just never gotten a real reason when I ask beyond China bad.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with meta losing social media ground and their stock dropping. Us gov gotta save Instagram reels.
Right? China knows I like thirst traps and comedy shows. They don't need an app for that knowledge. They can track your location, but they can with pretty much any app. There's a ton of apps that have some link to a Chinese company.
Admittedly there's some politics, but my experience (through the algorithm) is a nice progressive bubble, and unlikely YouTube and Facebook, TikTok doesn't want to continuously push me into far right conspiracy traps, because these lead to more engagement. Youtube and Facebook are far, far worse blights on worldwide societies. But they're American so it's all good.

No, you see, not wanting your data to end up in the hands of the Chinese government, which is notorious for its tracking of people (even beyond Chinese borders), censorship, making people disappear into 'reeducation camps' and ofcourse let's not forget genocide, is xenophobic.
I don't think a single person in this thread has claimed that the ccp is good or has good intentions with user data, the problem is that this action, without an attempt to curtail data exploitation by any tech enterprise does not actually solve the problem and amounts to security theater.

If the ccp wants US Citizen data so badly, what exactly is stopping them from setting up a proxy like a shell company and buying the data from a US company that is currently mining with impunity?

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
The sooner they ban it the better. Already got everyone I know off it. Should have never been allowed in the first place.

May 14, 2021
Yeah I've seen those stupid posts. Just utterly clueless.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017

So instead China just buys all the same information from brokers perfectly legally, no one is protected, this would do nothing to change any of that, except american companies get compensated for spying on us. That's why it's xenophobic and not about our data rights.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
China doesn't need TikTok to spy on anyone, just like the US doen't need Meta. This is pure propaganda fearmongering bullshit.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
So instead China just buys all the same information from brokers perfectly legally, no one is protected, this would do nothing to change any of that, except american companies get compensated for spying on us. That's why it's xenophobic and not about our data rights.
So why are the EU and European national governments also banning TikTok for all its government workers? Is that also because they want to protect Meta?

SuperDevilJoe

Dec 27, 2021
The one thing I find really funny about this whole thing is, if Tik Tok was owned by some really vile shithead, like Elon or Zuck lol--Let's say for arguments sake, JK Rowling was the CEO, a lot of people here defending it would swear off the app forever and you know it lol.

We cancel and boycott people and companies here for less than the horrors the CCP has done.

p.s. I'm being only half serious so don't reply to if you wanna argue, I don't care lol

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The one thing I find really funny about this whole thing is, if Tik Tok was owned by some really vile shithead, like Elon or Zuck lol--Let's say for arguments sake, JK Rowling was the CEO, a lot of people here defending it would swear off the app forever and you know it lol.

We cancel and boycott people and companies here for less than the horrors the CCP has done.

p.s. I'm being only half serious so don't reply to if you wanna argue, I don't care lol
I didn't think that of all the takes defending removing TikTok, I would see "Waah cancel culture."

Big "Yet you participate in society" energy coming out of this post.

Oct 25, 2017
So why are the EU and European national governments also banning TikTok for all its government workers? Is that also because they want to protect Meta?

Governments ban access to social media platforms for their employees all the time. There are extremely strict rules on what you can and can't do as government employees. Strava "leaked" where military bases are, why were they not banned into oblivion?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory commentary
The sooner they ban it the better. Already got everyone I know off it. Should have never been allowed in the first place.
You literally campaigned to your friends and family to get off an app?

Man some of these posts read like they're straight outta Fox News. That's actually wild to me that this app puts this much fear into some people over some data.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
*shrug* no difference with it without it

I thought it might be a bad idea at one point but I think that fear is overblown with the current course we're on anyway

If this is xenophobia it's a better outlet to do this than the inevitable backlash of violence as we wave #StopAsianHate in futility again

Last edited:

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Stop spying on our citizens only we are allowed to do that

This.

This potential ban is stupid. Really stupid. Banning TikTok at this point will only
1) help OTHER big data-harvesting corporations increase their stranglehold on the market and invade our privacy further
2) cause millions of people to look into VPNs, disabling security, sideloading, etc. leading many into scams, malware, etc.
3) piss off even more people, turning them off of our government and possibly causing them to not vote, especially young people. Remember how those same young people helped defeat Trump in the last election? Why do you think the GOP is at the forefront of this effort?

And even if millions of US residents are choosing to give their TikTok browsing activity to the CCP, so what? How does that help them? Or how does that hurt us any more than the same people choosing to give even more detailed/private information to Meta?

I just don't understand why any Democrats/progressives would get on this train. Let the GOP shoot itself in the foot. If the ban goes through, let young voters punish the GOP. There is no good reason to back this ban, so let the GOP do it.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
You literally campaigned to your friends and family to get off an app?

Man some of these posts read like they're straight outta Fox News. That's actually wild to me that this app puts this much fear into some people over some data.
I hope this is a joke post. I don't have to campaign to anyone. I tell them and they do it. Not sure where you got Fox News out of basic internet security.

never

Oct 28, 2017
We need to be pushing for legislation to get a fundamental bill of data rights.

The China stuff is a xenophobic distraction from that reality. Its security theater.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
From what I read it is comparable to other such apps, except on Android where it will access as much as it can if you don't set your permissions up right. To ban it entirely instead seems much? I don't understand the more casual dislike of it. Of all the things "the youth" has to contend with, Tiktok is among the least of our and their worries.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

This is an extreme non sequitur, and get lost with this "I gave my honest opinion but actually it's kinda a joke haha jk(?)" bullshit. Own the things you say.

We need to be pushing for legislation to get a fundamental bill of data rights.
The fact that none of the politicians up in arms about Tiktok are even proposing this gives the whole game away.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Stop spying on our citizens only we are allowed to do that
It's wild to hear stuff like this when we see the FBI getting turned down by Apple when they ask for info on users. The both siding US vs China is especially crazy when you consider that the CCP has golden shares in companies like ByteDance and by law they're all required to give the CCP access to all their data.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild to hear stuff like this when we see the FBI getting turned down by Apple when they ask for info on users. The both siding US vs China is especially crazy when you consider that the CCP has golden shares in companies like ByteDance and by law they're all required to give the CCP access to all their data.
If you think the government doesn't get what they want when they want from Apple you're falling for their privacy marketing bs.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If you think the government doesn't get what they want when they want from Apple you're falling for their privacy marketing bs.
Privacy marketing BS is the FBI complaining in court and then having to find a third party to hack into a phone because Apple won't give them access?

If you're falling for China and the US both spy on you the same narrative, you're falling for Chinese propaganda.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

This is a completely disingenuous post because nearly all tech companies have similar if not more severe drops over 2022. The US government doesn't really care whether or not Meta/FB fails. If they did, they'd prop up the company more actively than now.

And this too.

A lot of US companies have basically said GFY to US regulators/law enforcement, or laughed them out of the room. The opposite isn't true in China. It's a false equivalence to equate what's happening to TikTok with US companies and governance.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
9to5mac.com

Apple accused of ‘systematic violations’ of user privacy

Apple is facing another class action lawsuit over its practice of allegedly collecting and sending analytics data from iPhone users,...

Yeah that was a show they put on to promote how good their handling of users privacy is.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From what I read it is comparable to other such apps, except on Android where it will access as much as it can if you don't set your permissions up right. To ban it entirely instead seems much? I don't understand the more casual dislike of it. Of all the things "the youth" has to contend with, Tiktok is among the least of our and their worries.
The problem isn't what the app collects, it's what happens to the data after it's been collected. ByteDance employees in China can have been caught using the individual user data of an American journalist as part of an internal leak investigation. If TikTok was based in the US the company and its employees could potentially face charges for that, but while they are based in China they are shielded from a lot of legal liability. The purpose of this bill is to simply ensure that the company is just as responsible for what it does with its user data as everyone else is.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't what the app collects, it's what happens to the data after it's been collected. ByteDance employees in China can have been caught using the individual user data of an American journalist as part of an internal leak investigation. If TikTok was based in the US the company and its employees could potentially face charges for that, but while they are based in China they are shielded from a lot of legal liability. The purpose of this bill is to simply ensure that the company is just as responsible for what it does with its user data as everyone else is.

Does US legislation not apply in cases such as this where it concerns a US citizen, regardless of where the company is operating out of? That seems odd.