• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
At least 6 months is better than indefinitely

Haven't played it but if it's as rough as reported doesn't seem like PS users are missing out on anything so far

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Seeing as PlayStation doesn't do early access games afaik i doubt this means much right now. Valheim gets updated at a snails pace idk when they plan on going 1.0

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Its funny, because I posted in another thread about waiting for some 3rd party games that's exclusive to Xbox to see if they get a PS5 version in a few months, and someone mentioned this game.

It didnt register at the time, but now I see why it was mentioned.

So yeah, its just a waiting game for me from now on.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a bad console exclusivity window but I wonder how long the subscription service window is for. I imagine it won't hit PS+, if it does, until a year from now.

It's doubtful how much they'd need to extend the window to keep it off PS+ or Extra. Those services are mostly older catalogue titles, newer smaller titles or something needing a boost. Valheim has sold millions and millions on Steam and could possibly sell a lot on PS5 as well. Would be surprised to see it on Sony's subscription service at launch, even with no Microsoft barriers in place.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's doubtful how much they'd need to extend the window to keep it off PS+ or Extra. Those services are mostly older catalogue titles, newer smaller titles or something needing a boost. Valheim has sold millions and millions on Steam and could possibly sell a lot on PS5 as well. Would be surprised to see it on Sony's subscription service at launch, even with no Microsoft barriers in place.
Sony has been doubling down on day 1 releases this year compared to last year but a pattern has been repeating that as one game reaches the end of its contract period on one service, it pops up on the other immediately after lol. That surely isn't a coincidence and I imagine the GP window for this game may be a year like other games so it'll show up on PS+ a year from now when that GP window is up.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has been doubling down on day 1 releases this year compared to last year but a pattern has been repeating that as one game reaches the end of its contract period on one service, it pops up on the other immediately after lol. That surely isn't a coincidence and I imagine the GP window for this game may be a year like other games so it'll show up on PS+ a year from now when that GP window is up.

I'd be surprised if the subscription exclusivity was any longer than the regular timed exclusivity in this case. It's potentially a big seller. Sony hasn't been doubling down on big day one sellers on their subscription services. This crossed ten million on Steam alone a while back:

www.pcgamer.com

Valheim has sold over 10 million copies

Developer Iron Gate has doubled in size over the same period.

This could potentially sell millions on PS5. I'd be surprised to see them adding it day one and giving up 30% of that cash, while having to pay the developer for the privilege. Just hasn't been their style.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'd be surprised if the subscription exclusivity was any longer than the regular timed exclusivity in this case. It's potentially a big seller. Sony hasn't been doubling down on big day one sellers on their subscription services. This crossed ten million on Steam alone a while back:

www.pcgamer.com

This could potentially sell millions on PS5. I'd be surprised to see them adding it day one and giving up 30% of that cash, while having to pay the developer for the privilege.

I feel the console audience is very different from PC audience with these kind of games. Maybe I am wrong but I dont see the PS5 audience buying a lot of copies of this but who knows though..

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
There is Kena too which has not been announced afaik

Playstation has done early access games before. There were some examples mentioned in the first page by a few folks.
I mean, I guess. Temtem seems like the only real one of note where that seemed to be in early access for 2 years before official release. Wayfinder is more like a closed beta paid access until later this year. Like, Disney's Speedstorm and Dreamlight Valley are F2P games, but you can pay for the founder's edition to get "early access" but it's still basically the full game. That's what Wayfinder is doing, except only on PS rather than all consoles for whatever reason. Xbox has had dozens of Game Preview games for years, like DayZ, until it hits "full" release.

Valheim came out on PCGP 6 months ago... it just released on Xbox in game preview... if in 6 months they manage to get it out on other consoles I'll be surprised. Even if it wasn't exclusive it would probably take them that long to port it given their release cadence/team size. If MS did sign some exclusivity I really don't know why they would bother.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

www.pcgamer.com

This could potentially sell millions on PS5. I'd be surprised to see them adding it day one and giving up 30% of that cash, while having to pay the developer for the privilege. Just hasn't been their style.
I meant it more as Sony has been actually caring to get day 1 games on the service this year compared to last. Last year was Stray for the entire year but this year is looking like something new day 1 every single month. In that regard Valheim would be possible for PS+ day 1 but I imagine there's a 1yr sub service window in place like we've seen many times before as when games leave one service they immediately show up on the other. That's why we'll likely see Valheim on PS+ next year and the studio can enjoy sales in the meantime (assuming) they actually release it on PS by September.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the console audience is very different from PC audience with these kind of games. Maybe I am wrong but I dont see the PS5 audience buying a lot of copies of this but who knows though..

It's possible, but with how extremely popular it's been on Steam, I'd still be surprised not to see it move a few million copies on PS5. I'd expect at least a little of that hype to carry over.

In that regard Valheim would be possible for PS+ day 1 but I imagine there's a 1yr sub service window in place like we've seen many times before as when games leave one service they immediately show up on the other.

Perhaps. If I were Microsoft I wouldn't expect Sony to put this on their service day one, so it wouldn't be worth extending a contract like that from my perspective. I could see it going on the service, when they've got the day one sales and some time has passed, which would work out to a year anyway :)

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps. If I were Microsoft I eouldn't expect Sony to put this on their service day one, so it wouldn't be worth extending a contract like that from my perspective. I could see it going on the service, when they've got the day one sales and some time has passed, which would work out to a year anyway :)
It's possible that they just operate with 1yr contracts in general for the services from both sides as has been seen with numerous games but regardless that's why I'm expecting it to show up one way or another a year from now in terms of PS+. Going by other comments who knows if it'll release immediately when the 6mo console window is up depending on the state of the game and if the team can port it over in time.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
PQ3 does not seem to be launching on console as early access?
The Steam version is still in Early Access and I don't see anything in their recent news posts about hitting the full release anytime soon, so it should still be in an unfinished state when it releases on consoles.

"We've received a tremendous amount of feedback and continued support from our Puzzle Quest 3 players on Steam Early Access and mobile platforms. We are excited to continue our expansion onto Xbox and PlayStation console platforms, extending the Puzzle Quest 3 experience even further," said Infinity Plus 2 CEO and creative lead Steve Fawkner in a press release. "Fan feedback has been invaluable to us, especially in our first year in the market. The team has worked hard on the roadmap, introducing new features, continuous updates and delivering on a wholly unique game experience while staying true to the classic puzzle combat roots that Puzzle Quest is known for. We're very proud of where the game is today and are excited to celebrate the launch in April by giving away a special high-value gift to all players across all platforms when they login."

www.gematsu.com

Puzzle Quest 3 coming to PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, and Xbox One on April 18 [Update]

Publisher 505 Games and developer Infinity Plus 2 will release free-to-play puzzle RPG Puzzle Quest 3 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on April 18, the company announced.

They may not call it Early Access on consoles, but it's still in that mode on the other platforms.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The Steam version is still in Early Access and I don't see anything in their recent news posts about hitting the full release anytime soon, so it should still be in an unfinished state when it releases on consoles.

"We've received a tremendous amount of feedback and continued support from our Puzzle Quest 3 players on Steam Early Access and mobile platforms. We are excited to continue our expansion onto Xbox and PlayStation console platforms, extending the Puzzle Quest 3 experience even further," said Infinity Plus 2 CEO and creative lead Steve Fawkner in a press release. "Fan feedback has been invaluable to us, especially in our first year in the market. The team has worked hard on the roadmap, introducing new features, continuous updates and delivering on a wholly unique game experience while staying true to the classic puzzle combat roots that Puzzle Quest is known for. We're very proud of where the game is today and are excited to celebrate the launch in April by giving away a special high-value gift to all players across all platforms when they login."

www.gematsu.com

Puzzle Quest 3 coming to PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, and Xbox One on April 18 [Update]

Publisher 505 Games and developer Infinity Plus 2 will release free-to-play puzzle RPG Puzzle Quest 3 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on April 18, the company announced.

They may not call it Early Access on consoles, but it's still in that mode on the other platforms.
www.worthplaying.com

'Puzzle Quest 3' Celebrates 1st Anniversary With Freebies, Leaving Early Access In April To Coincide With PlayStation And Xbox Launch - Screens

Puzzle Quest 3 returns to its origins, recalling the deep RPG mechanics and signature heroic storylines that made the original a standout hit within the Match-3 category.
this site says "leaving early access" with this launch. It's the same blurb source but could just be interpretation. I'm not sure having the game out on mobile, steam, and the consoles means it's early access anymore, personally. I didn't really consider Dreamlight Valley an early access when it launched. It's just them getting paid bucks before double dipping with a F2P launch.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
www.worthplaying.com

'Puzzle Quest 3' Celebrates 1st Anniversary With Freebies, Leaving Early Access In April To Coincide With PlayStation And Xbox Launch - Screens

Puzzle Quest 3 returns to its origins, recalling the deep RPG mechanics and signature heroic storylines that made the original a standout hit within the Match-3 category.
this site says "leaving early access" with this launch. It's the same blurb source but could just be interpretation. I'm not sure having the game out on mobile, steam, and the consoles means it's early access anymore, personally. I didn't really consider Dreamlight Valley an early access when it launched. It's just them getting paid bucks before double dipping with a F2P launch.
They're just quoting the exact same source I am, so I haven't seen anything from the devs saying that it's leaving Early Access on Steam. They're just calling it Year 2, so I don't know if they're lying or just being very weird. That's just what I'm reading from the devs, which I'd take over the way a random news article frames it.

Disney Dreamlight Valley is absolutely an Early Access game. The devs even call it that as they sell a Founder's Pack to get in on the game early before it's full launch as a free to play game whenever that is much like Speedstorm.

If you're just going to argue semantics, I'll just move on.