• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I for one would not call this VC 1.5 at all. The demo itself showcased a number of added features/gimmicks that makes this feel like an actual sequel...I'm just glad we're back to the previous leveling system rather than 2 or 3's grindtastic leveling.

You'll have really neat stage gimmicks starting with the tank recon mission in chapter 2, and an icebreaker ship to issue orders with later.

Also, I haven't checked out the English demo yet, but Jamieson Price as the narrator?

7BKL.gif

Yea, I can't tell most English VOs these days, but I almost always spot out Jamieson Price, he has that distinct voice.
I'm probably going to be sad that any previous VC1 actor will likely be replaced...well Welkin and Alicia will probably be the same, Isara, Rosie, Largo, and Edy? certainly will be recast.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Probably answered already but this demo is EU only at this point? Went to look for it on the NA PSN store and couldn't find it.

Edit: Nevermind. Just had to scroll down on the game page to see the demo link.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably answered already but this demo is EU only at this point? Went to look for it on the NA PSN store and couldn't find it.

Edit: Nevermind. Just had to scroll down on the game page to see the demo link.
I Liked the demo. It doesnt make any difference If i make any progress on the demo for using it on the real game?

Go to the pre-order page of the game press down, you Will find It.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now I need to find the time to complete the first game before this releases.

I'm still working on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, it's really hard to select units using the cursor in Switch handheld mode. The cursor isn't snappy enough. I can hover right over someone and it won't recognize them.

Also, no gyro aiming?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yo, it's really hard to select units using the cursor in Switch handheld mode. The cursor isn't snappy enough. I can hover right over someone and it won't recognize them.

Also, no gyro aiming?
Use the dpad to snap between units. Also, be sure to use that to better position your aim too, it works a lot better than gyro would for this.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Going by this demo it looks like VC4 is basically Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the alternate timeline where VC1 didn't have to be re-released on other platforms 6-8 years later to get the success it deserved and thus didn't have to pivot to PSP. Which is great, because that's exactly what everyone's wanted for a decade!

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Finally got an A in every mission/skirmish. Holy shit, those grenadiers are annoying in the bonus mission.

Malduke

Oct 27, 2017
In the bonus mission there's a new ability that allows you to give a character full AP even if they've already had their turn for 1 CP. Hover over a character and press Triangle then select command. Using this I was able to finish the mission in one turn (defense boost + scout rush).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the bonus mission there's a new ability that allows you to give a character full AP even if they've already had their turn for 1 CP. Hover over a character and press Triangle then select command. Using this I was able to finish the mission in one turn (defense boost + scout rush).

Wow, really? gonna have to try that out...guess it ain't a VC game if you're not issuing orders on your scouts to bum-rush the mission, haha.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Uhhh how is the story similar lmao. I would love to hear your comparisons. In detail.

I'm only talking having the demo in mind, but so far everything feels awfully familiar, specially because I skipped 2, 3 and Revolution, so this is looking exactly the same game as VC1 remastered to me.

Regarding the narrative, you have that nature aficcionado that somehow is destined to overcome amazing obstacles and take the imperials, while sitting most of the time in a goddamn tank, because, well, somehow somebody gotta save the nation. The girl that saves you hates you at the beginning but will most likely fall for the main character a couple of miles ahead in the narrative, just like Alicia, I bet.

I understand this is a return to formula, but damn, never thought it would be a complete replica of the first one. It doesn't even feel like an expansion to me.

I really hope it's more than this because the demo did a terrible impression imo.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope it's more than this because the demo did a terrible impression imo.

Regarding the impressions from the demo, based on what I've read in the monthly eShop thread and here, you're definitely in the minority in that aspect, most people's impressions are they weren't sure about the game until they tried the demo then loved it and want to buy the full game.

Regarding the story, yeah, you play the role of a commander and lead the troops, so it's kinda logical that you'll be someone who issues the orders and hangs out in the background etc. Wouldn't make much sense if you were like some random sniper and then also ordering around all the infantry units too? But maybe they should have changed the lead guy sitting in a tank to a girl in a mech or something to switch it up, though I don't know if mechs fit with the world historically.

I agree it'd be interesting if the story wasn't another romance (but I did really enjoy the story in VC1 so I'm not opposed to it), but anime tropes are anime tropes I guess. Maybe they could have made the main character not interested in other characters in the story, no romance at all, or made the main character an older woman or man, or made them a robot even, artificial intelligence controlling an army who knows.

They could even have made the story not about war but simply rebuilding a town and instead of shooting people you fight nature instead, that'd be a real 180 from the first game, go from a nature-obsessed hero, to a person who slaughters wildlife and monsters and rebuilds a village.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are Vyse and Aika only in the first game of the series or do the others have bonus characters in that same vein?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Late to the party, finally played the demo.

- Dub is solid, until I hear Riley. Whyyyyyy?? Then I swapped to japanese and noooo...she sounds the same. I was expecting Ojou-sama/Onee-sama anime archetype...

- Not a fan of thrown directly into the middle of the war for a prologue. Definitely prefer VC1 prologue.

- I like that the first chapter (second battle) already have neat scenario.

- God tier soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

- Some questionable dialogue like "they are steamrolling us" or "the power of the heart" or that cinderella exchange.

- Wish the game have more cutscene and less "talking head".

- I love reading the various character traits.

- I like the design of the side characters, remind me of Attack On Titan honestly. Except that one girl with iron mask....wtf.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Played through the demo- I also found selecting units with the cursor a pain (Switch portable mode) and so either used the dpad or selected from a list. When aiming, I'm surprised there isn't a gyro assist option, that would have been cool.

The missions were fun and feel like a logical extension from VC1- the grenadier class rounds out the squad much more than melee troops did in VC2, and shifting objectives kept things fresh. The one in the town in the mist was great.

What I don't like so much is the characters. Riley turning up and slapping the calm, non-reacting lead is just the same tedious trope from the early male/female leads meeting in Ys VIII, Cold Steel 2 etc etc. I hope it doesn't become romance because it just feels unnecessary, Alicia/Welkin felt natural in comparison. I have no idea how squad perv Raz gets away with mouthing off to senior female officers, if Claude was half the officer the game claims he is he'd do something about it.

It's also partly that they are all the same age and level of experience too, which presumably is a concession to 'if it can't be in a fantasy high school, they have to at least have grown up together'. Without veterans like Largo, all the inter-squad drama is probably going to be the same boring teen stuff of childhood friends, first love etc etc all over again. Between that and introductory slaps its just a checklist at this point, despite being a dangerous mission for national survival presumably there's a swimsuit and hot spring scene coming up too.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't make much sense if you were like some random sniper and then also ordering around all the infantry units too?
I mean, that's basically VC2 and 3. That said, the story of 4 is definitely NOT a rehash of old stories. It goes to places, not necessarily pleasant paces though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Started the demo last night on Switch. Looks great and I'm so happy to have some portable VC. So far haven't had issues getting A's on my first try on the first couple of missions and first skirmish.

A little annoyed that it seems scouts are still ridiculously overpowered. I tried the first skirmish and beat it in one round with two scouts. Probably could've done just one scout, but was playing it safe with health. Will replay to try and clear the map.

Kind of surprised that I could level scouts to level 4 the moment I got headquarters. I'd only replayed the prologue to complete it in two rounds, so I wasn't grinding or anything. I have no doubt I will max out what I can before the game's release. I just love this style of gameplay.

How far does the demo go? I assume there are level and equipment caps...which I will probably hit tonight.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I tried that Demo exclusive mission with the command on Scouts, lol finished it in one turn.

Any bonus for clearing it?

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Chapter 7 is like, that big fucking tank right?

Yeah...I got stuck there too. :lol

That one took me a few tries until I A ranked it.

I did it by spending the first couple turns destroying the turrets on the tank with my tank, sniped the enemies on the ridge, and moved assault or scouts behind objects where Selvaria Bles couldn't get to them. All you have to do from there is climb up the tank and toss grenades into the radiators when they open to one shot them.

You can destroy at least two radiators before Selvaria arrives, so the best tactic is to destroy the radiators on the left side of the tank first; that way when she arrives you can hide people on the right side of the tank where she can't one shot them.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I think this is how a 3D Final Fantasy Tactics should play.

That would be interesting, but I think if something like that were ever made it should be called something else and not just "Tactics."

FF:T to me implies top-down turn-based, which I would expect follow-ups to be like. Maybe Final Fantasy: Tactics Plus or FF:Blitz ;).

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
This demo has me intrigued. I don't play Valkyria, but Codename: STEAM was one of my favorite 3DS games and the gameplay is similar.

A few thoughts:

Not a big fan of how every cutscene and half cutscene has its own diary entry.

I have no idea what's going on with the story or if I need to play the other games first.

The real-time elements like getting shot multiple times while walking are kinda confusing. Do my guys shoot passersby too?

The map view isn't the most visually appealing to me. I would rather have a view of the characters and toggle between them with a button.

The gameplay was pretty fun. Permadeath is neat.

Some of the units seem a bit generic.

Overall, I will probably pick this game up after a sale or after a Valkyria Collection comes to Switch so I can catch up on the series. I came away pretty pleased, but with the amount of games coming to Switch this one will be a skip for the time being.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the demo only gives the acessory for clearing it, It doesnt talk about stats and stuff, but i would like to be corrected.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think the demo only gives the acessory for clearing it, It doesnt talk about stats and stuff, but i would like to be corrected.

It says:

"Play through the prologue and first two chapters of the game, as well as an exclusive bonus mission created for the demo. Demo save data, including items obtained, class levels, earned experience, and currency total will transfer over to the full game"

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo on Switch and I just finished the second mission. I loved how it looks and loved the grenadier class aswell. It seems a little OP though?

The real-time elements like getting shot multiple times while walking are kinda confusing. Do my guys shoot passersby too?

It is very important mechanic in the series I'd say. You do need to think to what side your units are looking at when finish each action.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Downloaded this yesterday and going to try and start it tonight.

Slightly related side note: does anyone know if Valkyria Chronicles 1 is getting released on Switch in the US? I know it is in Japan, but I haven't heard anything about a US release. Playing through the first one on Steam now, but if it is coming to the US I'd rather stop and wait to play it on my Switch.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to find a medal List, but found nothing, Its a Nice way to replay until the Full game, but Its hard when you don't know what you have to do to get the medals.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This demo has me intrigued. I don't play Valkyria, but Codename: STEAM was one of my favorite 3DS games and the gameplay is similar.

A few thoughts:

Not a big fan of how every cutscene and half cutscene has its own diary entry.

I have no idea what's going on with the story or if I need to play the other games first.

The map view isn't the most visually appealing to me. I would rather have a view of the characters and toggle between them with a button.

The gameplay was pretty fun. Permadeath is neat.

Some of the units seem a bit generic.

Overall, I will probably pick this game up after a sale or after a Valkyria Collection comes to Switch so I can catch up on the series. I came away pretty pleased, but with the amount of games coming to Switch this one will be a skip for the time being.
Shocktroopers, scouts, engineers, grenadiers and the tank machine guns can all intercept (or use overwatch depending on which tactics games you prefer!). Shocktroops in particular are great at gunning down enemies that run around corners or right past them. The bonus mission at the end of the demo shows enemy grenadiers doing it to you- which is scarily accurate, they have a long range and can use any friendly LOS. With practice you can do the same, but a touch of combined arms is a good basic tactic, using shocktroops for close protection to stop your snipers and scouts getting gunned down and to keep lancers away from your tank which can't be repaired as quickly. A shocktrooper hiding in long grass can shut down a lot of enemy movement at a chokepoint.

One note on permadeath- when they lose all hp they collapse and you have three turns to evac them before death, but if any enemy unit touches them they also die. It's worth evacuating them as quickly as you can, and you can even use your tank to do so safely if they died under heavy anti-infantry fire (they will go into reserve and two turns later can be respawned from a camp).

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what's going on with the story or if I need to play the other games first
You don't have to. 1 and 4 take place at the same time using different characters, in 1 the Empire is winning their invasion against the Alliance and has started their invasion of your neutral country that's sandwiched between the 2 factions. In 4 you're on the losing Alliance, the invasion of the neutral country has just begun so you're setting up a quick hard strike against the Empires territory while their distracted invading the neutral country.

2 is post 1 but has a different tone cause of its setting (a high school academy) and stunted gameplay cause of its platform, 3 is never ever officially coming out in the west so no point worrying about it.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm playing the demo (chapter 2 currently) and I'm confused by a few things:

- Riley and MC clearly went trough some shit but I've no idea what they are talking about
- What's the point of the scout class, what are their strenghts and purpose
- R&D, training and equiments are fundamental or just an aid?
- What influence has the "likes" tab? Should I put people that likes each other on the battlefield?
- When I was asked to conquer the castel with the cannon I had to conquer their bases and there also was the "retreat" option after doing so: is rushing, conquering and retreating a solid tactic or is it better to kill everything and then conquering?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

- Riley and MC clearly went trough some shit but I've no idea what they are talking about
- What influence has the "likes" tab? Should I put people that likes each other on the battlefield?
- When I was asked to conquer the castel with the cannon I had to conquer their bases and there also was the "retreat" option after doing so: is rushing, conquering and retreating a solid tactic or is it better to kill everything and then conquering?

- That's part of the game's story
- Scouts can move quickly across the map but don't have the firepower of shocktroopers. They will beat Engineers and Lancers 1 v.1. and if you can sneak up on a Sniper they'll take them out.
- R&D is to get better equipment for all classes. Training levels everyone up. Fundamental to do in the full game.
- Units that like each other will get boosts when you use them together
- Enemies can recapture bases, so you need to have a unit holding the base until you can call in reinforcements.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yea, you'll get more of Claude and Riley's story as you progress in the main game.

So question, based on the profiles for the characters, is it safe to assume that one of the scouts is transgender? (apologies, the name escapes me at the moment)

Nov 1, 2017
Going by this demo it looks like VC4 is basically Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the alternate timeline where VC1 didn't have to be re-released on other platforms 6-8 years later to get the success it deserved and thus didn't have to pivot to PSP. Which is great, because that's exactly what everyone's wanted for a decade!

Perfectly stated. this is the sequel we've been waiting a decade for, in this, the darkest timeline.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018

Scouts have a few key strengths. First of all, their most important ability is their massive AP. They can move further in a single action than any other unit. Compared to a Shocktrooper, Scouts have more range and accuracy as well. In other VC games, Scouts also have a wider angle of sight for performing interception fire than other classes, and I presume the same is true in VC4.

In VC1, the Scout was the most powerful class, capable of soloing entire maps by rushing the enemy bases. I'm not sure if that is still true, considering Shocktroopers have been buffed to have enough armor to survive a Scout's attack. Still, Scouts are excellent for whenever you want to outmaneuver the enemy via longer side routes. They are also good at spotting enemies and pack grenades for dealing with enemies behind cover.

The most important benefit of "likes" is support attacks. If you stand next to an allied soldier and then shoot at an enemy, the allied soldier has a chance to join in and make a second attack of their own. Either the chance of this happening or the power of that supporting attack is boosted if the two characters like each other (I forget which). With support attacks, it is possible for weaker units to take down stronger ones.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, positioning for intercepting fire can be very useful, and its where Shocktroopers can shine

It is very important mechanic in the series I'd say. You do need to think to what side your units are looking at when finish each action.

Shocktroopers, scouts, engineers, grenadiers and the tank machine guns can all intercept (or use overwatch depending on which tactics games you prefer!). Shocktroops in particular are great at gunning down enemies that run around corners or right past them. The bonus mission at the end of the demo shows enemy grenadiers doing it to you- which is scarily accurate, they have a long range and can use any friendly LOS. With practice you can do the same, but a touch of combined arms is a good basic tactic, using shocktroops for close protection to stop your snipers and scouts getting gunned down and to keep lancers away from your tank which can't be repaired as quickly. A shocktrooper hiding in long grass can shut down a lot of enemy movement at a chokepoint.

One note on permadeath- when they lose all hp they collapse and you have three turns to evac them before death, but if any enemy unit touches them they also die. It's worth evacuating them as quickly as you can, and you can even use your tank to do so safely if they died under heavy anti-infantry fire (they will go into reserve and two turns later can be respawned from a camp).

Thank you. I just played through Chapter 2 and intercepting fire came up several times. I noticed Raz wasn't turning around in order to intercept people. Whenever attacked he would face the enemy who hit him, leaving his back open to more attacks. Kai never intercepted anyone either, but she was a monster on player phase. Maybe they were out of ammo.

I still don't really get the real-time elements though. If I am just standing in front of an enemy (other side of a sandbag), they shoot me. That led me to rush to shoot them but I'm not sure it matters? In contrast, Turret enemies actually shot me and kept shooting, so running past them in real-time mattered a lot more. Kinda interesting.

You don't have to. 1 and 4 take place at the same time using different characters, in 1 the Empire is winning their invasion against the Alliance and has started their invasion of your neutral country that's sandwiched between the 2 factions. In 4 you're on the losing Alliance, the invasion of the neutral country has just begun so you're setting up a quick hard strike against the Empires territory while their distracted invading the neutral country.

2 is post 1 but has a different tone cause of its setting (a high school academy) and stunted gameplay cause of its platform, 3 is never ever officially coming out in the west so no point worrying about it.

Thanks. There are so many characters. I thought there would be 5-6 in my party but there are actually dozens. That definitely surprised me and I was wondering if I was expected to know their backstories.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Thank you. I just played through Chapter 2 and intercepting fire came up several times. I noticed Raz wasn't turning around in order to intercept people. Whenever attacked he would face the enemy who hit him, leaving his back open to more attacks. Kai never intercepted anyone either, but she was a monster on player phase. Maybe they were out of ammo.

I still don't really get the real-time elements though. If I am just standing in front of an enemy (other side of a sandbag), they shoot me. That led me to rush to shoot them but I'm not sure it matters? In contrast, Turret enemies actually shot me and kept shooting, so running past them in real-time mattered a lot more. Kinda interesting.
Different classes have different interception fire capabilities. Scouts have a long range gun and a very wide sight range for intercepting enemies. However, their interception fire is weak individually because they pace out their bullets and have limited ammo. On the other hand, Shocktroopers have extremely dangerous interception fire, but they will only target enemies in a narrow angle in front of them. Shocktroopers are good at closing off narrow paths, but you can just walk around them in open terrain. Snipers and Lancers have no interception fire capability at all. Engineers are just slightly worse scouts.

Now, you reaction to end the turn quickly is the correct one. If you just stand in the middle of enemy interception fire, it will eventually kill you. When perferming interception fire, enemies and allies can reload to keep firing without limit. The enemies you should be particularly wary of are turrets and tank machine guns, because they have short to nonexistent reload times and high killing power. Never charge a tank head on with infantry.

The one thing I miss most from VC2 though is the Gunner class. They were the kings of interception fire at the cost of having a weak player phase attack.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the demo touches on this a bit but it's also worth mentioning that you can basically use the tank as a unit shield to move up with.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got this demo having never played any of the other games (I think I own VC1 on Steam), so far this has been really good.
It reminds me of a 3d Final Fantasy Tactics.
Love the aesthetic of the game.
Not so keen on the characters and their "cute" friendship.