• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I would be incredibly surprised if it matched index in pretty much any way.

Personally at best I expect it to be similar to new WMR headsets although probably still using external cameras but who knows we will just have to wait and see.
If it were on par with WMR, they'd be literally selling it for $100, and while that could be a great thing, a lot of people would be disappointed with the quality at that point in time.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you expect it not to support something on par with a 2016 product? If anything, PSVR2 will be a least equal to Index with the addition of a wireless SKU, and probably eye-tracked foveated rendering on top.
I doubt it, given how much the Index costs. It's a premium device and not the kind of thing aimed at mainstream buyers like I'm sure Sony will want their next VR headset to be (unless they maybe sold it at a loss?)

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I would be incredibly surprised if it matched index in pretty much any way.

Personally at best I expect it to be similar to new WMR headsets although probably still using external cameras but who knows we will just have to wait and see.
PSVR2 is at least 2 years away, so incorporating those advances for cheaper isn't that crazy

I doubt it, given how much the Index costs. It's a premium device and not the kind of thing aimed at mainstream buyers like I'm sure Sony will want their next VR headset to be (unless they maybe sold it at a loss?)
Note that, the index headset itself is only $500 and psvr launched at $400.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once again, if that was the case. Why would they make their games work with any headset under the sun? There's WMR headsets for a fifth of the price of the index which people would be happy to have. Or hell, the Quest which is $400, wireless, and just got hand tracking today.
Because they know that people associate Half-Life and Left 4 Dead with Valve and thus if they don't have a headset already they'll see "Valve Index" and associate that with the games?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've been waiting a long time to see the VR tides change. The resistance is still strong, but we knew it would go like this. Don't get too defensive VR comrades, just give it time.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Because they know that people associate Half-Life and Left 4 Dead with Valve and thus if they don't have a headset already they'll see "Valve Index" and associate that with the games?
Except they openly advertise (in the trailer for HLVR) it works with any PC headset
And not everyone can just drop 1K without thinking and will ask/look for cheaper options.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like cross play between kb/m and VR would be totally possible for L4D VR game?

I don't think anyones going into the game for the slow, careful hand interactions and physics stuff like in Half Life.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sony could create an Index today for a lower price due to their manufacturing scale and partnerships. In 2-3 years when PSVR2 launches, the parts will be much, much cheaper. They also don't need to go all out on 144Hz displays either; 120Hz is fine for gen 2.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'd be down to try a VR version of Left 4 Dead, but I'm not sure how well it would translate. The whole getting pounced thing, the getting smacked and flung by a Tank, getting pulled backwards and choked by a Smoker. None of those animations/actions translate well to a first-person VR experience.
I wouldn't worry, they wouldn't be porting L4D2 as is to VR, they would be creating a whole new zombie apocalypse survivor experience taylored for virtual reality. In VR game from the ground up Valve will just keep what works from the old games and quickly ditch what doesn't even if it was a big deal in those.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

They literally have "STEAMVR" as the first thing you see in the trailer - the vendor agnostic, hardware agnostic VR platform; one of the many open ecosystems Valve either produces or developers toward - further clarified at the end with all the supported vendors. It's what they're known for, along with supporting the open ecosystem of the PC

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't worry, they wouldn't be porting L4D2 as is to VR, they would be creating a whole new zombie apocalypse survivor experience taylored for virtual reality. In VR game from the ground up Valve will just keep what works from the old games and quickly ditch what doesn't even if it was a big deal in those.
Yeah, I don't expect much of the gameplay from either HL or L4D to be very similar to the flat versions. There's going to be a lot of changes to the games for it to be VR.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Imagine playing 4 player co-op VR Left 4 Dead and having to scavenge around a house for ammo and supplies while zombies are rushing in. Sounds incredible. I do hope a traditional L4D3 comes as well.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like cross play between kb/m and VR would be totally possible for L4D VR game?

I don't think anyones going into the game for the slow, careful hand interactions and physics stuff like in Half Life.
You act like VR games are really slow for some reason
A28A1D533F76C264B169CFFE30977ABBFCA8A347

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
If it were on par with WMR, they'd be literally selling it for $100, and while that could be a great thing, a lot of people would be disappointed with the quality at that point in time.
At least in terms of the tech used, PSVR2 will be closer to WMR like the Odyssey+. It's gonna use inside out tracking with cameras on the headset. I'd believe those patents over anything else. It may have a similar display to the Index, but unfortunately inside-out seems to be the future of consumer VR which the Index will always be miles ahead of with the lighthouses.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you saying about the Index. I do believe it, but for some folks, you never know. There really needs to be a way to try it before you buy it. Also the price of an Index is too much. I got the Rift+S with controllers for $350. That's a no brainer there. If you want to push VR to everyone, especially the Index, prices need to go way down. Remember, you still have to buy the Index Base Stations. That's still an $100+ device. I think $400 should be the sweet spot for high-end sets(Includes headset, base stations, and controllers). I want people have good head sets for a good price.

Makes me glad Valve allows all headsets to work. They're not stupid to have their games Index exclusive. I do intend to buy the Index gloves next year unless the other companies make something.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
PSA: Valve is really tired of this dude. He keeps digging out the things they're trying to keep under wraps, HL:A included.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Well, enough people can drop $1000 for them to deem it viable or else they wouldn't have made the Valve Index at all.
There's enough demand to justify making without losing money, but it's straight up silly to think there's enough there that it could sustain a business that wasn't valve.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just about buying the games though, it's about buying the headsets, which is what even started this conversation. I said that they make VR games to entice people to buy their hardware.

I think it's more to push their store than their hardware.

Half Life 2 partially existed to push Steam as a digital distribution platform. Oculus and PlayStation both have high quality exclusives you can't get anywhere else. Valve doesn't really have anything like that right now. So Valve has to push people to buy VR games on their store to protect their dominance and grow the market so more people in general buy games on Steam which means more devs releasing VR games on Steam.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Sony could create an Index today for a lower price due to their manufacturing scale and partnerships. In 2-3 years when PSVR2 launches, the parts will be much, much cheaper. They also don't need to go all out on 144Hz displays either; 120Hz is fine for gen 2.
If you're cutting corners then it's not really on par with the Index but I see what you're saying. I assume the PSVR2 wouldn't have the costly base stations that the Index needs either.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more to push their store than their hardware.

Half Life 2 partially existed to push Steam as a digital distribution platform. Oculus and PlayStation both have high quality exclusives you can't get anywhere else. Valve doesn't really have anything like that right now. So Valve has to push people to buy VR games on their store to protect their dominance and grow the market so more people in general buy games on Steam which means more devs releasing VR games on Steam.
I mean, this already happens unless Oculus strikes a deal with a developer

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Is Valve still giving away their VR tech for free? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of it incorporated into a PSVR 2 a couple years from now.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
? The exact opposite? I'm saying VR players should be fast/accurate as kb/m players (in terms of physical character movement), I feel like people would be hesitant to have both PC and VR players in one game ?
Ahh, I think payday 2 already allows this and you can't really tell

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'll probably puke with nausea when boomer goes puking on me, followed by swarm of enemies fighting me, followed by hunter pouncing me to the ground.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Is Valve still giving away their VR tech for free? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of it incorporated into a PSVR 2 a couple years from now.
Don't know. I thought that was just on the software side. It would make sense to use it though, whatever they're making available for use to others.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
At least in terms of the tech used, PSVR2 will be closer to WMR like the Odyssey+. It's gonna use inside out tracking with cameras on the headset. I'd believe those patents over anything else. It may have a similar display to the Index, but unfortunately inside-out seems to be the future of consumer VR which the Index will always be miles ahead of with the lighthouses.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that PSVR2 will absolutely be inside-out. I meant more along the lines of the quality of Index, the comfort of Index, and the controllers of Index.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Well, enough people can drop $1000 for them to deem it viable or else they wouldn't have made the Valve Index at all.

The whole point of building these high end options for enthusiasts is to bring those high end parts / hardware to market, manufacture at scale, gradually bringing those down in price etc.
As always, there is an enthusiast market for those, particularly for PC gaming too.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should have mentioned that PSVR2 will absolutely be inside-out. I meant more along the lines of the quality of Index, the comfort of Index, and the controllers of Index.
I don't think this is too crazy considering how far away psvr2 will be. Maybe not finger tracking controllers, but the rest will make it in

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
PSA: Valve is really tired of this dude. He keeps digging out the things they're trying to keep under wraps, HL:A included.
Some at Valve will be I'm sure. Others are probably fans of him.

It's all public domain though. If it wasn't Tyler doing this, someone else would.

Moreover, Valve doesn't run the tightest ship. Translations, game testers and more regularly have no NDA. I know a few who just go to Tyler as it's the easiest way to get info out to people as a "trusted" source

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this already happens unless Oculus strikes a deal with a developer

Which Oculus has been doing a lot. Valve has been doing a lot for Devs, but not on the level of Sony or Oculus from what I understand.

VR games are already a high risk for any company, as even if every PCVR owner bought your game you probably wouldn't break even. Hence devs making deals with Oculus and Sony.

From the outside looking in it looks like Valve is starting to catch up to their competitors in terms of content. Putting out quality content that'll get people to buy headsets and stay in your store.

If Valve wanted to compete on hardware they'd have made a far cheaper headset that was more convenient to use. I think they saw some demand at the high end for hardware and knew they have a Nintendo like following of people who will buy anything they make. That's why the Index exists. Maybe to act as reference hardware. I don't think Valve cares about competing with Oculus, HTC, or PSVR in terms of user base. As long as people stay in Steam they'll be happy.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If you're cutting corners then it's not really on par with the Index but I see what you're saying. I assume the PSVR2 wouldn't have the costly base stations that the Index needs either.

I would argue computer vision isn't cutting corners. It just requires a large and talented engineering team (see Quest/Rift S vs the disaster that is Vive Cosmos).

With next gen chips/cameras, Quest 2 is going to be able to do flawless finger/arm/pose tracking in addition to controller tracking (and use arm poses to determine off camera position of controllers). This method will give results superior to any other tracking method and would literally shave hundreds off the BoM of Index. In a way you're trading engineering cost for manufacturing cost, but it would certainly reduce that actual manufacturing costs significantly (if your engineers were up to the task).

EDIT: Just so we're clear, superior means amazing controller tracking + the ability to do a lot of body tracking with no additional gear.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand folks wanting traditional iterations of these IP, but I'll gladly take this over nothing.

I think Valve will surprise a lot of you.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
I have absolutely no problem with motion sickness in VR so bring it on.

It's funny I took a break earlier this year from VR and I was still having some issues with Pavlov and motion sickness. Recently since the HL:A announcement, I spruced my Vive up with the Wireless kit + GearVR lenses and now all of a sudden I'm running in Pavlov like a mad man without a hint of nausea. Also just got Theta Legion on Oculus store and I'm strafing and doing wild maneuvers with locomotion that I never thought I could handle.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
On one hand, I applaud that Valve is still trying to get the VR ball rolling.

But on the other hand, no thanks.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I like VR I think this is awful presumptuous. For most VR experiences that aren't desk VR experiences (like playing HLA sitting down perhaps, or Elite Dangerous), you would need some moderate standing room that not everyone has the space for in their homes. It doesn't mean it's a living hazard, it's just not something they feel safe moving their arms and body around wearing effectively a blindfold to the real world.

I do think having games have a sit-down option is a good way to circumvent this problem though.
The only game that I have ever played in VR that requires more than enough room to somewhat extend your arms and spin (I am 5'10) is Thrill of the fight, although many VR games are much better when you can move around it is not necessary. Even Superhot doesn't require much room.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moreover, Valve doesn't run the tightest ship. Translations, game testers and more regularly have no NDA. I know a few who just go to Tyler as it's the easiest way to get info out to people as a "trusted" source

They didn't make me sign anything when I did a bunch of Steam Controller stuff for them. No NDA, no guidelines about what I could or couldn't talk about, nothing. They even encouraged me to talk openly about my experiences with them. I even posted pictures of the special account they gave me with every game on steam unlocked.

By contrast, with other companies, I've had to sign NDAs before even going through with an interview, let alone getting access to their tech.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny I took a break earlier this year from VR and I was still having some issues with Pavlov and motion sickness. Recently since the HL:A announcement, I spruced my Vive up with the Wireless kit + GearVR lenses and now all of a sudden I'm running in Pavlov like a mad man without a hint of nausea. Also just got Theta Legion on Oculus store and I'm strafing and doing wild maneuvers with locomotion that I never thought I could handle.
How is Theta Legion? Looks like fun.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a Premium device for 2019, Given how quickly we went from the OG Oculus rift for $600 without the touch controllers (IIRC) in 2016 to the Oculus Quest with stand alone and PC hookup, that will also have hand tracking with no additional hardware in 2019; I don't think saying that in ~3 years that the Index would be equivalent to a mid tier product is not much of a stretch.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Its a Premium device for 2019, Given how quickly we went from the OG Oculus rift for $600 without the touch controllers (IIRC) in 2016 to the Oculus Quest with stand alone and PC hookup, that will also have hand tracking with no additional hardware in 2019; I don't think saying that in ~3 years that the Index would be equivalent to a mid tier product is not much of a stretch.
You're probably right but I assumed the PSVR2 would be releasing a lot sooner than 3 years from now!