• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
So on another forum I frequent, the new hotness is a $2.99 game on Steam called Vampire Survivors. It's in early access, and it's pretty neat for the price!

All you do is use your mouse to move your Survivor around as increasingly higher numbers of enemies spawn. Your attacks are automatic (and based on your starting character), and as you kill monsters they drop blue crystals that give you XP. On level up, you pick a perk, which are either more auto-attacks, or defensive skills, or passive buffs. You also get money or healing drops from attacking the fires lit around the map, and money can be used outside of a run to buy other Survivors or increases your stats that carry over between runs. Your weapons can evolve and get increasingly insane as a run goes on. It's fun to just become a monster yourself as you are surrounded by fireballs and spinning Bibles, with a Garlic aura that damages anything that gets too close.

Sure, there's lots of games like this, but it is still fun, and incredibly cheap. It's helping me kill some time between calls while I'm working. I'd actually like to see a phone version in the future, it'd probably do pretty well there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the dev posts here. I think the game used to use Castlevania assets when it was still in development. Had no idea it was released! And seems to have done quite well based on Steam reviews!

Edit: Oh, guess the assets are the same as the release and are just Castlevania inspired.

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the dev posts here. I think the game used to use Castlevania assets when it was still in development. Had no idea it was released! And seems to have done quite well based on Steam reviews!

Edit: Oh, guess the assets are the same as the release and are just Castlevania inspired.

Yeah it's really CV inspired.

Just wanna say fuck the plants that start showing up around the 5 minute mark.

Give me more bats to kills with my Garlic.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
header.jpg
bayonetta-2-release-date-confirmed_gaen.1280.jpg

hmm ...

Mowing down thousands of enemies does look fun though. As straightforward a game concept as that may seem, there really aren't enough games that feature that in a tangible way.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it and played 2 hours. If you get garlic and bibles you can just level those up and kill most things very easily. If you get neither early game can be really frustrating. :P

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Thanks for the thread! It was just a way to have fun making some content over the weekend, so I have no idea how this started to get even just a bit popular, but sure I'm glad people liked it. Little giveaway incoming :)

5 gifts from poncle

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from poncle poncle!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Vampire Survivors (PC) - Won by StarStorm StarStorm (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Vampire Survivors (PC) - Won by Primus Primus (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Vampire Survivors (PC) - Won by Bardeh Bardeh (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Vampire Survivors (PC) - Won by skeezx skeezx (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Vampire Survivors (PC) - Won by Rowsdower Rowsdower (1 entry)

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread! It was just a way to have fun making some content over the weekend, so I have no idea how this started to get even just a bit popular, but sure I'm glad people liked it. Little giveaway incoming :)

Hell yeah, you're welcome! Thanks for the fun game!

I only found out because the Steam thread over on Something Awful is all enamored with it, haha.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for Vampire Survivors! It looks like so much fun just killing hordes of them as they come at you.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I played one round before bed and it's good simple fun, with a cool soundtrack. Great work on the game, you've really hit on something here. Hope it sells a million copies :)

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked a few characters, not sure which I like the most but they're all fun.

So far I've only survived 12 minutes as the longest.

Jan 21, 2019
It's super fun and kinda easy to create an OP character though it gets quite hard at the end. I "beat" it once on the library level.

Pick up the bible.

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Still trying to get a run past 12 minutes lol

I love getting bibles and garlic early and just walking through the hordes

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Well, managed to get a perfect run where I evolved the axe, cross and fire wand together and also had the bible.
Every skill got maxed out and I survived for 29 minutes and then it was basically a hard cap where it just wasn't possible to kill things fast enough anymore. Did this on the second map.

Have definitely gotten enough entertainment out of my money, 5 hours played so far and have yet to try the last 3 characters.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Bought and played after watching Nooks stream of it. Good fun for the asking price! Gives me Crimson Lands vibes. Chests takes a bit too long to open but other than that I like how simple and snappy it is. Permanent progression is ok I suppose, but it feels like performance is capped by time spent rather than skill given how powerful some unlocks are. No biggie though as this seems like a good podcast game for the time being!

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this looks like a lot of fun. Might pick it up since it's so cheap. Also gonna go ahead and say that if you enjoy games like this, you'll probably like this one as well:

It came out forever ago on XBLA for $1, but it's free on Steam and is worth a try.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Bought and played after watching Nooks stream of it. Good fun for the asking price! Gives me Crimson Lands vibes. Chests takes a bit too long to open but other than that I like how simple and snappy it is. Permanent progression is ok I suppose, but it feels like performance is capped by time spent rather than skill given how powerful some unlocks are. No biggie though as this seems like a good podcast game for the time being!
Correction! Saw in the patch notes that you can skip the treasure animation... but with ESC! Wish it was closer to the arrow keys though as that's how I play.

Tried the library last night and it feels a lot easier with the whip-guy. Horizontal attacks become very powerful

Also tried the bird on a good run and managed to make it work. Keeping the bird on enemies rather than the reticle seems to be the best way to do big damage, but you need a lot of movement+ to get into the right position.

Starting to figure out some item combinations... like the knife+bracer constant knives (very good at library!), or the life leeching whip.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020

Oh damn, this was you? This game was a blast. My brother found it, and then I picked it up, and it spread to pretty much my entire friend group, and their friends, etc. I probably wouldn't think much of it if it was just described to me, but seeing it in action (and for only 3 bucks) had to grab it. looking forward to more content in the future.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Definitely one of the better purchases I've made in 2022 so far! It scratches powerful character building itch with sweet instant satisfaction.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I survived so long that Death came out and insta-killed me at 30 minutes. A quick search and no one has killed it. Its impossible. I had evolved knives, evolved axe, evolved King Bible. Literally mowing everything down lol. Got all achievements. I enjoyed my time with it.

TomPUH

Oct 30, 2017
This is the best use of £2 I've ever spent! Only even heard about this game thanks to this thread so KujoJosuke, poncle thank you!

I'm gonna need more holy bibles.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a Northernlion playthrough of this on YouTube (well, 10 mins of it because I don't want to spoil it for myself) and this looks exactly my kind of thing; glad to see there's a thread on it and really cool to see poncle even here with some input. Hope it sells well for you and all involved!

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
That's about 100 times the amount of pressure I thought I was signing up for... I'm just happy people are enjoying it and trying to stay focused on development and fixing issues.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Is there a noticable change in power with the buffs you can buy?

I finally hit the 30 minute mark in the library and was gibbed by death lol

This is a legit fun little title, I'd love for some of the evolved abilities to be permanent once you've unlocked them.

Jan 21, 2019
That's about 100 times the amount of pressure I thought I was signing up for... I'm just happy people are enjoying it and trying to stay focused on development and fixing issues.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Can we have a teleport beam weapon that teleports you around on contact with the enemy just as a joke?

P.S. I love this game! Sifd and Splattercat made me buy it.

norn

Oct 26, 2017
i did not realise the dev was a member here. poncle good job, this is the sort of bite-sized sleeper hit that warms my cold, dead heart. at AUD$4 : 11.5 hours of playtime as of the time of this post it has already more than paid for itself

the 'demo' being up on itch.io was what sold me, by the way. the sort of game that screenshots/steam clips aren't going to sell, but 5 minutes of play will

i don't like interacting with social media garbage but i dropped a positive review on steam to hopefully help out the algorithm or whatever. good luck. please implement a shield 'weapon' that upgrades with the wings so i can make a movespeed build that only does damage in the direction i'm moving and get myself killed over and over as i mistime direction changes and get hit by 50 enemies from behind in a single frame.

thanks

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Is this basically a clone of 2019's Magic Survival? The structure, gameplay, and even how some of the UI is organized look really similar.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying loading this up whenever there is new updates and stuff to unlock, pretty fun.

Is this basically a clone of 2019's Magic Survival? The structure, gameplay, and even how some of the UI is organized look really similar.

Yeah, it's basically a clone of that with less options right now. I do recommend people check out Magic Survival if they want a more original take on the same gameplay loop.

play.google.com

Magic Survival - Apps on Google Play

Hack and Slash you can enjoy with one-hand control

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb did a video on it and a few minutes in I crumbled and just bought it outright.

www.giantbomb.com

Quick Look: Vampire Survivors

Evolve your bible and win!

And y'know what? Vampire Survivor is fun as hell.

A bullet-hell survivor! Whoda thunk.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Got this after seeing this yesterday, it's a fun game. Managed to finish a run in the library, the evolved axe is really strong.

Edit: Finished the Hyper Library too that was fun, I could just sit there after awhile lol.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I literally installed a 3080Ti yesterday and all I've done this morning is play this. Amazing thing.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I was up way too late last night streaming this game. It's addictive. Poe puts in work.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is a GREAT game. Such an awesome concept.

That said, it seems like if you don't get garlic you're pretty much dead after 15 minutes

I got lucky and got garlic and laurel leveled up really high on my last run and got to 30 minutes

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is a GREAT game. Such an awesome concept.

That said, it seems like if you don't get garlic you're pretty much dead after 15 minutes
It's the opposite really, garlic is better off at the start when it can handle the weak enemies but later on it falls off. You need to build up other damage sources to deal with the later parts well. Like if you level up the bible and especially evolve it that's a lot better damaging aoe around you.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It's the opposite really, garlic is better off at the start when it can handle the weak enemies but later on it falls off. You need to build up other damage sources to deal with the later parts well. Like if you level up the bible and especially evolve it that's a lot better damaging aoe around you.

Hmmm yeah, but if you don't have garlic leveled a bit the bat swarms will wipe you later in the game it seems.

EDIT: Oh I didn't even get to the part where you unlock new areas. No bat swarms in the second...

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm yeah, but if you don't have garlic leveled a bit the bat swarms will wipe you later in the game it seems.

EDIT: Oh I didn't even get to the part where you unlock new areas. No bat swarms in the second...
The library is actually easier even though you have to unlock it.

Finished the Hyper Forest now. Mortaccio is definitely the best long term with the extra projectiles.

hyperforest.png

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
played it for a few hours and it's really fun and addicting

but I do agree that garlic and the bible seem like a must in this game, if you don't get them you're done, or I don't know how to play without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.