• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
It needs some strong gameplay hooks to reach the sales goal.

...Which is unlikely to happen, judging from the early video

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Life is Strange last night. Cannot wait to see what they do next.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I know dlc has a bad rep in general, but I really think it's how you design your main game and the things in the dlc as well as the cost. If your game is essentially complete and the dlc has good additional content, it's all good. I wish Dontnod luck though. I will buy the game since it looks interesting.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't heard of this game before. I like RPGs and haven't played a vampire game like this before. If it reviews well and has Xb1X enhancements I will probably think about picking it up.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True, all depends on if the game is good. Also, does it matter when they reach those sales numbers? Like within the first six months or something like that?

Sales targets tend to be time-bound. So they will have a timeframe in mind to reach these numbers.

If they are approaching the timeframe but appear to be unlikely to reach the target then they will most likely drop the price aggressively on digital storefronts to be able to reach whatever revenue target they might have.

The most important thing at this stage is to make sure the product is good because if the product isn't any good then they have no chance in either scenario I mentioned above.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Surge managed 500.000 in 6 months. And this game seems "bigger' in terms of people talking about the game.
Surge had a budget of 4 to 6 million tho.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm interested in this game but the talk around the combat has really turned me off the social aspect of the game seems really neat.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seemed like the most relevant thread to bump.

Vampyr sold 450k copies in a month. Source in French: https://www.actusnews.com/en/DONTNO...rage-de-sa-derniere-creation-originale-vampyr

They also mention the budget is 10-15 million Euro, but not sure if it's an estimation by the outlet or data given by Focus Home.

This seems good....Glad to see more AA efforts

Well, I bought it on release day, I just have to support games like this. Hope it's successful.

How's the game? The combat looked a bit janky

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
How's the game? The combat looked a bit janky

It really does (based off preview videos), I can deal with some jank no issue but this looked pretty bad. Turned me off from buying.

My questions is how combat heavy is the game? If there's a lot and the combat sucks I can't see myself buying this (at full price anyway).

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's really well written and has a great deal of choice and consequence, but it's poorly optimized on PC and the combat's not super great. It's worth a shot if you can find it for like $25-30 and if you like games with a lot of choice.

Nassudan It's got quite a bit of combat.

Thank you. I can do Janky but playable if it excels in other areas. Alpha Protocol was one of the reasons I became very selective for who I go to for Reviews. Any Romance options a la Mass Effect/Dragon Age?

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
It's really well written and has a great deal of choice and consequence, but it's poorly optimized on PC and the combat's not super great. It's worth a shot if you can find it for like $25-30 and if you like games with a lot of choice.

Nassudan It's got quite a bit of combat.

C&C? Okay now my interest is piqued.
Tell me, on a scale from 1 - 10 (or Alpha Protocol (jank) - Dark Souls (near perfection)), how janky are we talking here?

Note: I loved AP but the combat was jank central.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I really hope they'll make a profit. I really enjoyed the game and loved the setting and the characters. Plus there's some real potential for the next chapter of dr. Reid's rise to infamy throughout the 20th century and onwards, battling disaster as well as his hunger. Go vampyr!

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Thank you. I can do Janky but playable if it excels in other areas. Alpha Protocol was one of the reasons I became very selective for who I go to for Reviews. Any Romance options a la Mass Effect/Dragon Age?

Not that I saw, unfortunately.

C&C? Okay now my interest is piqued.
Tell me, on a scale from 1 - 10 (or Alpha Protocol (jank) - Dark Souls (near perfection)), how janky are we talking here?

Note: I loved AP but the combat was jank central.

I'd put it at around a 3? It's not as janky as AP, that's for sure. Still not great.

I'm glad you both mentioned AP, since it's one of my favorites, too. Vampyr kind of reminds me of AP in that it's super janky, was kind of ignored at launch, and has a lot of heart and really solid writing.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The combat isn't great but it's not poor enough to be a distraction.

The writing and VA are great.

Oct 27, 2017
Supported it day one, hope they could expand on this in the future, and especially refine the combat. Lots of great foundations that was really engaging despite the jank.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this game but the talk around the combat has really turned me off the social aspect of the game seems really neat.
I actually think the combat is the best part of the game (even though I would have liked to avoid it when backtracking, as it becomes tiresome after a while). It's everything else that felt kinda disappointing to me: story, choices and text quality (not the writing, but the text itself, because there are tons of spelling and grammatical errors). It feels very unpolished. I liked Vampyr but not that much. In my opinion this is nowhere near Dontnod's previous games, both of which I loved.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd put it at around a 3? It's not as janky as AP, that's for sure. Still not great.

I'm glad you both mentioned AP, since it's one of my favorites, too. Vampyr kind of reminds me of AP in that it's super janky, was kind of ignored at launch, and has a lot of heart and really solid writing.

Someone who also liked AP? TheresDozensOfUs.gif

Thanks, it sounds like a gem worth getting. I'll wait for a steam sale and grab it then.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a lot of fun with the combat. The animations are the worst part and the reasaon why it feels janky, but it's surprisingly fun. A bit on the easy side, though.

EDIT: But only when talking about the game as a whole. The first few hours can be quite brutal if you don't feed.

Difficulty balancing in RPGs is something that so few devs get right, even in the AAA space.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
In the age of digital and Steam I'm sure they'll get there given enough time. Unless I see TV and internet ads every I have my doubts about it reaching that in its launch period.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly I just platinumed Vampyr. As a fan of DontNod games and one who is fine with solid "AA" experience, I loved it.

The complaints about combat are justified, and probably the only real "bad" thing about the game, but it's wasn't in any way a dealbreaker for me. Just a bit clunky.

The writing is great, the voice acting is really solid for a game of this budget, and unraveling the social web of the game's inhabitants was a real draw to me. The visual environment is fantastic in a creepy Edwardian way, and the game really steeps you in the lore.

If you don't expect God of War levels of production, it's recommended.

Also, it's a pretty easy platinum if you don't eat anyone on your first playthrough ;)

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Paid full price for this game and really enjoyed it. The combat isn't great but I wouldn't say its awful. I really hope this game does well enough for a sequel. With a decent budget it could be something very cool.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combat is flawed but that doesn't stop it from being my GOTY pick so far. Grabbed it Day 1 and stopped playing anything else until I finished it nearly 60h later.

Really hope we see more. For a new IP it built a really compelling world.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should've added DLC and Microtransactions then.

Why? They're going to hit their target number and likely end up making a small but decent profit.

This is the problem with capitalism. If something isn't a runaway mega seller then it's a failure even if it made money. Everything has to screw as many people as possible and make every possible dollar no matter what.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Surge managed 500.000 in 6 months. And this game seems "bigger' in terms of people talking about the game.
Surge had a budget of 4 to 6 million tho.
It is a cracking game from a small studio. Slow burn to start, but really picks up and has some great choices and moment with the selfish or mercy system of feeding.

Technically another competent showing from DontNod and I was a big fan of Remember Me and they have improved on that PBR pioneer here. This is more impressive as they have shifted lock stock over to Unreal 4 with a solid start.

Something different, stlyish in parts and daring enough that I really hope it succeeds.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why? They're going to hit their target number and likely end up making a small but decent profit.

This is the problem with capitalism. If something isn't a runaway mega seller then it's a failure even if it made money. Everything has to screw as many people as possible and make every possible dollar no matter what.

To make it more profitable. There's nothing wrong monetization if done right. Should've considered it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to get this after reading all the comments about the top VA and writing. Janky combat is something I can get past (I did play State of Decay 2 after all ahah!). It looks like a good title that likely didn't reach its peak due to funding/resource.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really tempted to get this after reading all the comments about the top VA and writing. Janky combat is something I can get past (I did play State of Decay 2 after all ahah!). It looks like a good title that likely didn't reach its peak due to funding/resource.
If this comparison means anything to you: it's this gen's Alpha Protocol.

Someone else said that in an impression thread and it instantly sold me on it. Choices matter (and the writing+VA is fantastic) but yeah, the combat and certain systems are rough around the edges.