• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man…I have no interest in this movie but this still kinda makes me sad. Feels like such a victim of circumstance.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Between Levi's BS and the fact DC in film is being rebooted, I just have no point in seeing this. Not seeing the Flash either.

Though I believe the true test whether superhero fatigue could be a thing is how GOTG and Across the Spider-Verse perform.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Superhero movie bubble has burst.

The big tentpole ones will still do well, but these lesser properties that were doing pretty well during the 2009-2019 boom is over.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man…I have no interest in this movie but this still kinda makes me sad. Feels like such a victim of circumstance.

Is it though? It'd still be reviewing poorly even if it didn't get released in the middle of an upcoming reboot, and the first movie was a very modest success to begin with.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

The big tentpole ones will still do well, but these lesser properties that were doing pretty well during the 2009-2019 boom is over.

Biggest problem with Marvel is them giving these lesser super heroes insane budgets. If Ant-Man had a 100-125m budget then it still would have been a success.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? It'd still be reviewing poorly even if it didn't get released in the middle of an upcoming reboot, and the first movie was a very modest success to begin with.

I never saw the first, but it seemed like it had good intentions. I wasn't expecting big thing from this movie, but it seems pretty clear the studio wasn't behind it. The reviews aren't great but typically not enough to stave off superhero fans, at least for more than this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
DC outside of Batman and Superman is too niche for the mainstream audience. Too traditional unlike Marvel. Either you carry the movies with star power alone (and sometimes even that's not enough) or advertise the crap out of the movie, with enough merch.

Or just stick to tv, DC.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
DC outside of Batman and Superman is too niche for the mainstream audience. Too traditional unlike Marvel. Either you carry the movies with star power alone (and sometimes even that's not enough) or advertise the crap out of the movie, with enough merch.

Or just stick to tv, DC.

Yet the biggest DC movie ever is Aquaman!

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or just stick to tv, DC.

I mean, Aquaman and Wonder Woman were big hits for them too.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

This year will provide some good data. We already see the C-tier heroes like Antman and Shazam performing like absolute shit, down from previous entries.

Next up is the B-tier. Captain Marvel 2 and Aquaman 2 will be a good test. Both made $1.1 billion last time. Can they even come close the second time around?

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Xcld68H.gif
Ah ahahahahaha. I would love for this gif to become a regular bomb gif. Lady gave a good performance.

Hope I don't see that Levi guy ever again.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They popped the bubble with the streaming services. Why go see anything but the event movies in theaters when it's going to be guaranteed on a streaming service in 3 - 6 months?

Before you didn't really knoe when a movie was coming out, and the choices of getting it were shit. I have Disney plus. I have Hbo max. Unless the movie is amazing, I can wait.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This year will provide some good data. We already see the C-tier heroes like Antman and Shazam performing like absolute shit, down from previous entries.

Next up is the B-tier. Captain Marvel 2 and Aquaman 2 will be a good test. Both made $1.1 billion last time. Can they even come close the second time around?

The Marvels won't come close because it isn't sandwiched between the most hyped crossover films of all time. A normal result would be Thor L&T numbers.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I found it to be pretty good and my kids enjoyed it. I think it is better than the first one.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was decent enough. Showing was reasonably attended Enjoyed it more than Antman at the very least. Just kind of an inoffensive B level super hero movie.

Oct 27, 2017
That's too bad because it's actually a good movie. Just really bad timing and advertising. I can't personally speak on comparison to Quantumania as I haven't seen Ant Man yet, but critics are preferring Shazam more. I think the box office still is showing the strength of Marvel's consistent offerings in the connected universe movies and how it boosts even their lowest quality performers.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023

Are you forgetting about the Flash?

I think it's just people want a change in tone. The Werewolf by Night special was extremely well received, because of the fun 30s and 40s horror vibe it had going for it. Like WandaVision, It didn't feel like anything else in the MCU. Granted those were Disney+, but I think if they put more unusual stuff in theaters, it'll put the butts in the seats. Especially Blade.

The other projects I'm looking forward to are Agatha: Coven of Chaos and whatever the Hell Sacha Baron Cohen is doing.

Time for Marvel to get spooky.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017

Or just stick to tv, DC.
Wow, DC both too traditional and niche. They never had a chance.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

As mentioned in the other thread: there is actually no proof of that.

Two movies that received bad reviews -- both sequels to films that were already the least popular in their respective universes during that "boom" -- underperforming at the box office is not proof that the superhero bubble has burst.

Meanwhile, Shang-Chi's first solo movie is considered to have had a respectable box office run given that he was a D-tier hero and his film released during COVID.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
It was supposed to be the springtime of Shazam y'all.

That's what everyone was saying.

...It was just me saying that.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017

Or just stick to tv, DC.

This isn't proven at all. Marvel established a brand name, and it helped them to sell lesser characters, until the quality started impacting everything.

The problem with DC, is that the people previously in charge, are to pull a finer point, quite inconfident

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no hard science to box office. Suicide Squad which seems to be on everyones shit tier list made a lot of money. Including putting Harley Quinn in the mainstream. Then she gets her own movie that is highly praised by everyone and flops hard.

Good movie, bad movie, high RT, low RT, WOM, star power etc. All play a role but sometimes none of that shit matters. In this case just seems clear to me no one gives a shit about the character. Same for Black Adam.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022

In what world is Captain Marvel B-tier?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
In what world is Captain Marvel B-tier?

I'm just going tl say that "Tiers" are nothing but fan (or hater) drivel. Like "lmao no one cares about Andor" stuff

Ant-Man and Shazam were both lower money makers but Ant-Man managed to get a large audience there for opening day while Shazam didn't.

The movies quality and marketing are what's making the difference here. Had they been A+ 90% films and 800M+, would we be talking about Ant-Man as an A tier hero?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I feel like a lot of movies are going to do this because of the covid backlog there's like half the screens.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Deserved to die after Levi's BS and not just forcing the Rock into it since the majority don't give a shit about either character

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Between this and Ant-Man 3 performing below expectations, it finally feels like the masses are getting tired of the ¨minor superhero blockbuster¨.