• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cause he'll have most likely made more $ from Guardians 3 than any other movie he'll direct in the near future. And it'd be the finish to his trilogy, etc.

That's true. However, sometimes it's not about the money but the principle. I think he should take the job again and then never work for Disney again.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, and Holland all unfollowed Gunn on Twitter.

Could we maybe stop sharing random hearsay without checking at all? Please? At least Holland absolutely does follow him and I need some sources showing that the others actually unfollowed him, today. Like, even if this is true: Check your sources, guys.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would he even want to come back?

His reputation is permanently damaged because some suit at Disney reacted without thinking things out.

He could very well just give them the finger if they try play nice now.

Plus if this trash fire pushes GOTG3 out and they have to fill that gap in the release calendar with something new I wouldnt mind.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could we maybe stop sharing random hearsay without checking at all? Please? At least Holland absolutely does follow him and I need some sources showing that the others actually unfollowed him, today. Like, even if this is true: Check your sources, guys.
ManaByte doesn't check sources except for when he does.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

His reputation is permanently damaged because some suit at Disney reacted without thinking things out.

He could very well just give them the finger if they try play nice now.

Plus if this trash fire pushes GOTG3 out and they have to fill that gap in the release calendar with something new I wouldnt mind.

The entire main cast sent an open letter saying how much they love him, and hundreds of thousands of people put their name down on the internet saying they want him back.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire main cast sent an open letter saying how much they love him, and hundreds of thousands of people put their name down on the internet saying they want him back.

I like the people I work with too. But if management calls me a Peado and fires me and then tried to rehire me a week later I aint going back.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking boo, this motherfucker's gonna land fine, hire someone who needs it more

Or re-hire the person best equipped for the job who was fired in murky circumstances without regard for contextualisation.

I hope you're not in a management position if you have the attitude of hiring 'whoever needs it' rather than suitability and best filling the position.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
It feels almost inevitable at this point, especially with the entire cast behind him.

It'd make a super awkward part 3 without him and with this dark cloud hanging over it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be against it, plus I'm sure those alt-right fuckos will cry double standards.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why so many are concerned with what the alt-right will think about all this. These fuckers will claim victory no matter what happens. If Gunn is fired, the alt-right can cheer about "getting their scalp"; if Gunn isn't fired, the alt-right can cheer about exposing Disney as hypocrites and enablers; if Gunn is fired and rehired the alt-right can cheer about both. There's no scenario where they think that they lost, so why bother caring at all?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know why so many are concerned with what the alt-right will think about all this. These fuckers will claim victory no matter what happens. If Gunn is fired, the alt-right can cheer about "getting their scalp"; if Gunn isn't fired, the alt-right can cheer about exposing Disney as hypocrites and enablers; if Gunn is fired and rehired the alt-right can cheer about both. There's no scenario where they think that they lost, so why bother caring at all?

This. The Alt-Right is incable of admitting defeat on anything, they'll just twist it into something that suits their agenda.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
How reliable is variety on the rumor front?

Also the argument of the alt right will twist it as their win no matter what is kinda dumb. If all outcomes are the same in that regard I will choose the outcome where a director the tried to get removed because he constantly upset them on twitter is reinstated and where he can continue to upset them on twitter.

Alt right people get easily mad. That's why they're on the crusade on this shit.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also the argument of the alt right will twist it as their win no matter what is kinda dumb. If all outcomes are the same in that regard I will choose the outcome where a director the tried to get removed because he constantly upset them on twitter is reinstated and where he can continue to upset them on twitter.

Alt right people get easily mad. That's why they're on the crusade on this shit.

What? He can always upset them on twitter, if he's a director, or not. Realizing and knowing that the Alt-Right will twist EVERYTHING in their favour (and they have, forever) has nothing to do with how mad they are or with what's an actual win or isn't. It's just how they operate and always have been operating.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
What? He can always upset them on twitter, if he's a director, or not. Realizing and knowing that the Alt-Right will twist EVERYTHING in their favour (and they have, forever) has nothing to do with how mad they are or with what's an actual win or isn't. It's just how they operate and always have been operating.
It does, because it's going to be a reminder how they didn't win and how he is still in place mocking them.
They can twist reality all they want but having to stare down the facts is what makes them asspained as fuck.

Like wasn't this whole thing in part roseanne motivated after the right seeing that? I'm sure they relished in the perceived "hypocrisy or censorship" or whatever they twisted it to, but that shit made them maaaaaad as fuck.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It does, because it's going to be a reminder how they didn't win and how he is still in place mocking them.
They can twist reality all they want but having to stare down the facts is what makes them asspained as fuck.

They don't care if they didn't win. That's what I've been saying. Admitting that they'll spin *everything* as a win for them has nothing to do with "us" admitting defeat or "letting them win", because it doesn't affect "our" reality.

It just means that they'll never admit ANY defeat. And they don't care for facts.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
remember everyone, redemption doesn't exist in the real world

if you're a bad person, you'll stay that way forever

similarly, rehabilitation for criminals is a fool's errand, let's instate the death penalty across the board

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
They don't care if they didn't win. That's what I've been saying. Admitting that they'll spin *everything* as a win for them has nothing to do with "us" admitting defeat or "letting them win", because it doesn't affect "our" reality.

It just means that they'll never admit ANY defeat. And they don't care for facts.

Lol that's wrong though. They do care if they win. They are super upset every time they don't even if they do like to pretend they're not.
It fucking kills them inside that popular media has become left leaning, that's why there is so much outrage at things like Star Wars EP8, so much upset when Battlefield includes female representation, etc.

The right likes to levy the snowflake moniker at the left but the really fun irony is that it's the right that are the biggest snowflakes. Because the moment you force a reality on them they cannot escape (when they're in a situation where the numbers are clearly against them, having to content with how the public sees them, etc) that's where the upset becomes REAL big.

Also fun fact you call them Nazis often times they get so insanely triggered oh boy, going on all the funniest tirades about how they're actually not nazis and how you please make sure to differentiate between racists fucks and nazis and actually just pls call them the right.

Oct 27, 2017
This firing kind of makes it near impossible to produce a Volume 3 without there being a huge black-cloud over the film. Its clear to everyone that Disney have been played by the alt-right who essentially manufactured outrage over a bunch of idiotic tweets that Gunn apologised for many years ago. The irony of the situation is that the individuals who led the outrage are supporters of a man who has openly boasted about sexually assaulting women in reality. Disney should just rehire him asap to limit the damage that procrastinating any more will do. Its absolutely baffling to me that this situation hasn't been rectified.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
As badly I want him to direct GotG3, I believe he should instead sue Disney over this entire thing. Their firing him directly affected the public outlook of him and surely affected other projects of his, even if things as simple as appearing at conventions. The statement that Disney made on him was ridiculous and them agreeing to bring him back on, simply because of public outcry (if they are even seriously considering to do so in the first place) is even more of a bad look on the company. They have no moral compass, they just go whichever way the wind blows apparently.

That said, I think he will go back if offered. I know the series means a lot to him.

I would not blame him for not accepting though, and actually think it would serve Disney right by losing him if that ended up being the case also.

I think what will actually happen is that they will remain silent, time will go on, they will eventually name another director, and they will attempt to pretend none of this ever happened.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
remember everyone, redemption doesn't exist in the real world

if you're a bad person, you'll stay that way forever

similarly, rehabilitation for criminals is a fool's errand, let's instate the death penalty across the board

This isn't as clever as you think it is. You're cherry picking a few posters and specific discussion on a few people/incidents.

Rehabilitation has to occur after punishment and owning up to consequences is part of turning from a bad to a good person.

BTW, this is just in general and largely directed toward the criminal justice system. I don't care about Gunn or GOTG, Disney has turned me off for good and this twitter back and forth is really stupid.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
As badly I want him to direct GotG3, I believe he should instead sue Disney over this entire thing.

Other than the fact Disney is within their right to fire him (and what was so ridiculous about their statement?), he also put out a public statement of his own saying he accepts the decision, which would kinda undermine a case against them anyway.

Nov 2, 2017

Everyone and their mother in the industry understands the context in which James Gunn was fired by Disney. Most people outside nerd culture don't even know about this. Furthermore, the old tweets aren't anything people that knew of Gunn didn't know about before.

Gunn's reputation is, and will be, fine.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol that's wrong though. They do care if they win. They are super upset every time they don't even if they do like to pretend they're not.
It fucking kills them inside that popular media has become left leaning, that's why there is so much outrage at things like Star Wars EP8, so much upset when Battlefield includes female representation, etc.

The right likes to levy the snowflake moniker at the left but the really fun irony is that it's the right that are the biggest snowflakes. Because the moment you force a reality on them they cannot escape (when they're in a situation where the numbers are clearly against them, having to content with how the public sees them, etc) that's where the upset becomes REAL big.

Also fun fact you call them Nazis often times they get so insanely triggered oh boy, going on all the funniest tirades about how they're actually not nazis and how you please make sure to differentiate between racists fucks and nazis and actually just pls call them the right.

I have no idea if you're intentionally missing my point, if I'm shit at explaing my point, or if we're just hitting language barriers here.

To their outside narrative, it does not matter if they lose because they will sell it as a win.

That's literally all I'm saying, and that's how they've been operating forever now. There is no losing in their public image, no matter how angry it makes them behind closed doors.

I've been butting heads with the Alt-Right, Neo Nazis and whatever else we used to call them for over twenty years now, believe me, I know what makes them angry. But I also know how little our wins matter to the narratives they sell their followers and the public. It's allll propaganda. ;)

Edit: Changed capslocked words to bolded words because they were being misunderstood as an attack.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if you're intentionally missing my point, if I'm shit at explaing my point, or if we're just hitting language barriers here.

To THEIR OUTSIDE NARRATIVE, it does NOT matter if they lose because THEY will SELL IT as a win.

That's literally all I'm saying, and that's how they've been operating forever now. There is no losing in their public image, no matter how angry it makes them behind closed doors.
? Maybe you need to read then. In my very first post you replied to my statement basically was if the outside narrative doesn't matter and all outcomes are the same on that front, then I choose the outcome that will basically make the alt right the most upset. So I don't know why you're explaining this to me now.

The reason why I called the argument dumb is because making choices on minimizing/maximizing on what the alt right outside narrative would be is a fool's errand.
We should never ever take that garbage into consideration when it comes to the actual choices.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
? Maybe you need to read then. In my very first post you replied to my statement basically was if the outside narrative doesn't matter and all outcomes are the same on that front, then I choose the outcome that will basically make the alt right the most upset. So I don't know why you're explaining to me this now.

The reason why I called the argument dumb is because making choices on minimizing/maximizing on what the alt right outside narrative would be is a fool's errand.
We should never ever take that garbage into consideration when it comes to the actual choices.

Again, I said nothing about choices. That's entirely your narrative. I only talked about their propaganda machine. So please don't tell me to read when you're adding a wholly different narrative to my statements.

This. The Alt-Right is incable of admitting defeat on anything, they'll just twist it into something that suits their agenda.

This is what I originally said. It had nothing to do with "might as well not try" like you're spinning it.