Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Andy Serkis Talks Venom’s “Coming Out” and “Love Affair” Between Eddie and the Alien Symbiote in ‘Let There Be Carnage’

The film director pointed to a scene that is "sort of an LGBTQIA kind of festival" as the moment Venom has his "being out" moment.
Andy Serkis says a particular scene in Venom: Let There Be Carnage is a "coming-out party" for the alien symbiote whose relationship with Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock is "the center of the movie."

In a recent interview with Uproxx, the Venom sequel director spoke about the film's rave scene, which he shared had originally been set in a "carnival of the damned" but evolved thanks to star Hardy's relationship with rapper Little Simz, who also appears in the movie.

That's when the director shared that Hardy and co-writer Kelly Marcel had wanted the scene to be a "coming out" event. "Well, Tom and Kelly were always about Venom coming out and going to a party that was a very sort of an LGBTQIA kind of festival, really, I'd call it, and so this is his coming out party basically. This is Venom's coming-out party."

When asked to confirm if what Serkis was implying was that Venom was not a straight alien symbiote as was "actually coming out," Serkis responds, "Well, coming out, being out…" before acknowledging that a line from the character points to him "speaking for the other."
At the end of the interview, which features Serkis speaking to other Venom-related things like star and friend Woody Harrelson's involvement and his character Carnage's impact on the film's coloring, Serkis responds to the statement that "it's very obvious that Eddie and Venom are in love" by calling their relationship the movie's "central love affair."

"Absolutely they do love each other and that's the kind of the center of the movie is that love affair, that central love affair," he said.
After seeing the movie I can say that yeah, the film definitely leans in on the whole "Eddie X Venom" stuff.

sckathian

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 25, 2021
Had not realises Serkis was directing. But yeah they are basically folding in on each other.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pghj9vYI4A1stnldjo1_500.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We haven't had a good romance arc in a super hero film in a long time.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Monster fuckers finally getting the mainstream acceptance furries have enjoyed since the Zootopia renaissance. I thought things would be different after Shape of Water and now our time is coming.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
But like, does this actually come across explicitly in the movie or is it all subtext, because I'm kind of tired of media creators paying a bunch of lip service to representation when it's actually all subtext that can completely fly over the heads of anyone not looking for it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But like, does this actually come across explicitly in the movie or is it all subtext, because I'm kind of tired of media creators paying a bunch of lip service to representation when it's actually all subtext that can completely fly over the heads of anyone not looking for it.
Venom says I love you to Eddie so...

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Never saw the first one and don't really have much interest but I know someone who is likely going to be VERY happy about this.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed his Jungle Book flick (source material fan, I admit) so I'm looking forward to seeing this because of him AND because I found the original fun tbh.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whaaaaaat. I had no idea Serkis directed this. That's the news here to me 😹.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There is quite literally a scene where Venom (who has temporarily separated from Eddie) attends a rave, and talks about coming out of the 'Eddie closet', before turning down a woman asking for a kiss - saying she's 'not his type'. This is followed by a gag where Venom makes an impromptu speech to the crowd about how aliens are treated in society, and the importance of tolerance.

Draw your own conclusions.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
There is quite literally a scene where Venom (who has temporarily separated from Eddie) attends a rave, and talks about coming out of the 'Eddie closet', before turning down a woman asking for a kiss - saying she's 'not her type'. This is followed by a gag where Venom makes an impromptu speech to the crowd about how aliens are treated in society, and the importance of tolerance.

Draw your own conclusions.

my biggay brain-eating son

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
If black alien goo can get it with Hardy it means that eventually there would be a chance for me

nicki-minaj-standing.gif

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My distaste for the movies aside, it's objectively queer cinema and we're here for it. That relationship is the highlight of these movies for a reason.
MCU will stamp that out with the quickness.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yes. I wish for nothing but happiness for Eddie Brock and his slime boyfriend from space.

Fuck the Carnage stuff, who cares. The movie would be infinitely better if it was 90 minutes of slice-of-life hijinks between Eddie and Venom.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense at the cómics they are pretty much a single entity to the point Eddy refers to Venom as "his other"

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean Eddie and Venom have already made out

ede2fdfc67b87e11039d520133f1e2a9.gif

Venom: It's not gaaaaaay if there's a girl involved when we kissssssss, Eddieeeee. Just try it.

Eddie: I...I don't know how I feel about this.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I got a double feature of Saints of Newark and Venom 2 tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I did a double feature of Venom 2 & Titane last night, and the entire experience was 500% more queer than I expected going in.

10/10, would do again.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean Eddie and Venom have already made out

ede2fdfc67b87e11039d520133f1e2a9.gif

Venom: It's not gaaaaaay if there's a girl involved when we kissssssss, Eddieeeee. Just try it.

Eddie: I...I don't know how I feel about this.
Venom pulled him in with the Golden Rule.

youtu.be

3-Way (The Golden Rule) (feat. Justin Timberlake & Lady Gaga)

Buy "3-WAY (THE GOLDEN RULE)" on iTunes: http://bit.ly/13w2sxXTHE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUMiTunes [deluxe version]: http://bit.ly/13w2sxXiTunes: http://...

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not at all how I took it. That "coming out" party was just a played-for-laughs moment where Venom is trying to be independent from Eddie because he felt like Eddie was preventing him from being who he is. He even says he's "out of the Eddie closet". But then he goes back to Eddie, which would really not be a great message if we were supposed to take it seriously, but we're not. And while he does say he loves him, it's in an "I love you, man" kind of way. Eddie is still in love with Anne and Venom resents Anne for breaking up with Eddie and badly wants them back together.

Venom and Eddie aren't in love. They love each other like bros, and that's it, but Anne is the real love interest.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If Venom is already inside of him, how do they bang.

Actually, there are all sorts of ways they could pull this off, I don't even know why I even inquired.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It's not at all how I took it. That "coming out" party was just a played-for-laughs moment where Venom is trying to be independent from Eddie because he felt like Eddie was preventing him from being who he is. He even says he's "out of the Eddie closet". But then he goes back to Eddie. And while he does say he loves him, it's in an "I love you, man" kind of way. Eddie is still in love with Anne and Venom resents Anne for breaking up with Eddie and badly wants them back together.

Venom and Eddie aren't in love. They love each other like bros, and that's it, but Anne is the real love interest.

I haven't seen the movie yet but the last movie had Venom say "we will get her back" at the end with the emphasis on "we" so it made it seem like Venom was pushing for a 3-way relationship.

Venom pulled him in with the Golden Rule.

youtu.be

3-Way (The Golden Rule) (feat. Justin Timberlake & Lady Gaga)

Buy "3-WAY (THE GOLDEN RULE)" on iTunes: http://bit.ly/13w2sxXTHE LONELY ISLAND - THE WACK ALBUMiTunes [deluxe version]: http://bit.ly/13w2sxXiTunes: http://...

I'm imagining Venom as the Mac to Eddie's Dennis where Venom says the gayest things possible and then tries to backpeddle when Eddie looks confused. And Venom progressively tries to get Eddie try gayer and gayer things with him.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
I've heard very different reads of the romance aspect of this movie, so it really seems like an "up to your interpretation" thing. Even if the director seemed to make it intentionally romantic, I suspect someone stepped in somewhere to make it more vague as to not alienate the straight audience.

As a side note, as a lesbian monsterfucker I never really got the appeal of Venom but I am always happy for more horny monster media.

Last edited: