• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Wait. Is that seriously how symbiote is pronounced in English? If so, mind blown. I've been reading it wrong for two decades.

The cast is great so this could end up being a good film but this trailer made it look like garbage. And oh god Venom at the end... What a horrible reminder of how shit and try-hard Marvel was in the 90s, it's such a dumb design.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
They're saying symbiote that way because there are two. Sym-bi-ote. Boom roasted.

Dec 31, 2017
That was definitely new... wasn't even in the last trailer. I have a feeling it's more Marvel trying to better differentiate non-Marvel produced films... we've seen the slow progression of that over the last decade (ie the Marvel Studios logo and fanfare also becoming more and more different than the standard Marvel comic flipping clip)
"Association" is a very strong word in intellectual property law and the more i think about it, the more I feel Sony is trying to give the impression that this Venom film is part of the MCU. This is actually a tortious action under the common law. Of course, Disney won't sue because Sony will just retaliate by pulling Spider-man out of the MCU.

But Disney probably already feels that the Venom film goes against the spirit of their agreement so their patience will be already wearing thin.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I mean to say. Who is Eddie in this movie?

The trailers tell us he's a reporter with some kind of moral code. But Brock is an angry frustrated man that projected off Pete right?

I guess they can play that angle here. The reason Venom works originally; they both held a deep contempt for him. Then they became 1.

I'm going to see it sure. Just confused on how they'll spin it. So far I'm like...hmm

I'm "hmm" because I've never been a fan of unnecessary fucked up adaptions. Keep close to the source or choose something else to adapt.

But if they have zero access to Spider-Man, that frustration can be projected off something else. If they want to keep him frustrated.

I don't trust Hollywood-adaptations, they are always written over-connected too. So I'm guessing all these answers you are seeking are within a group of three characters. Who are all related. And are a mash-up of 20 characters in the comics. And time is super-condensed.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how he can be an 'Anti-Hero' when he appears to be some stand up investigative reporter and is beating on the bad guys the same way every MCU hero does.

Not a fan of the way Hardy is talking in the trailer either...it's like he's doing an impression of an older Water Boy.

Still, will wait and see how the final product turns out, just not feeling it yet. Suit looks cool though, even if it reminds me of the Spawn movie a bit.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look that bad. I will check it out at some point, loved Venom when I was a kid so I have to see it at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how he can be an 'Anti-Hero' when he appears to be some stand up investigative reporter and is beating on the bad guys the same way every MCU hero does.
An antihero, or antiheroine, is a protagonist in a story who lacks conventional heroic qualities and attributes such as idealism, courage, and morality.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol those motorcycle acrobatics are were too much for me.

Oct 27, 2017
here's my honest thoughts on the protagonist in this trailer

"What if we had a dudebro with a gun.....without the gun"

Dec 31, 2017
In Sony Land, he's an anti-hero because he used stronger and more direct language when he addressed the grocery store clerk.

In all seriousness, who in their right mind is going to root for a dark hideous looking demon.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol those motorcycle acrobatics are were too much for me.

mission-impossible-2a.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that liked the creepy buffed version of Spider man Venom?
ASM299_02.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
looks fine, I guess. Does this take place in the Amazing Spider-Man universe? Are we going to see Sinister Six at some point?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like rushed Garbage in a great way. Reminds me a bit of that Frankenstein reboot when Universal tried to have the evil Avengers.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Looks alright? I do like that they gave the symbiote a voice that will talk to Eddie and Venom uses"we"instead of I. So Venom at least seems done right but I dunno about this plot.

Oct 30, 2017
Hardy's accent is bad
Dialogue is cheesy
Eddie Brock is literally styled to look like Tom Hardy (bracelets, rings, tattoos, hair, etc). Tom Hardy probably just rolled up to set and was like, "Eddie Brock would wear Tom Hardy. It's meta, let me do this."
Sim bye oat

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
I'm "hmm" because I've never been a fan of unnecessary fucked up adaptions. Keep close to the source or choose something else to adapt.

But if they have zero access to Spider-Man, that frustration can be projected off something else. If they want to keep him frustrated.

I don't trust Hollywood-adaptations, they are always written over-connected too. So I'm guessing all these answers you are seeking are within a group of three characters. Who are all related. And are a mash-up of 20 characters in the comics. And time is super-condensed.

Hope is dwindling fast :/

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't mind bad CGI, but the whole project just looks generic as hell, seen this exact same set-up and rollout in a million bad genre movies...seems like it plays out like any old Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maaaan. That looks like trash. I love me some Hardy, so I thought for sure he would at least make this watchable. But, I'll be waiting for a rental on this one.

All that tenticle shit looked bad, and pretty well confirms that he is going to be full Venom for all of two minutes of the finale.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
An antihero, or antiheroine, is a protagonist in a story who lacks conventional heroic qualities and attributes such as idealism, courage, and morality.

That's my point, he has all three (I guess the way I wrote 'anti-hero' implied I meant he as an antagonist, not what I meant). The trailer starts with him talking about following the people who don't want to be followed (in this case, evil corporate guy doing science stuff), so you got your idealism and courage right there. Near the end has him trying to lay down the law with Venom on who they can hurt for your dose of morality.

Those are normal hero things. I guess if they can sufficiently meld the evil inclinations of the symbiote with his good-guy stuff you could make something like an antihero, but not seeing any of that in the trailer.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm honestly happy this movie exists. Why? Because it means the MCU won't do Venom anytime soon. I hate, hate, hate, how much "modern" Spider-Man is bogged down by all the "Ohhh we need Venom here, grimdark and edgyyyy!" bullshit, glad we're steering clear of that for MCU Spidey.

That, and it seems like Feige doesn't really give a damn about Venom either way.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"The guy you work for is the evil person"

I can't believe they started the trailer with this line. It's delivered sooooooooooo poorly.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, wasn't feeling it.

Tom Hardy's accent wasn't believable either.

The way he said "VE-NOM" and then the head just looks like it's a few layers too thick.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Embrace your inner anti-hero? On the nose much?
Come on. Inner demon is a cliché but it perfectly works here.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the film my 15 year old self would have creamed his pants over, I loved venom. Was at the time I started working and earning money and could afford to collect (physical) comics so plenty nostalgia.

Doubt i'll watch it in the cinema though. Will probably rent on VHS for maximum effect.