• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I feel about changes to the original. The game is indeed dated but it had a tone and style that was even unique within its own series, I don't want too much changed before you have some weird proto sequel hybrid.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I AM SO MAD.

Part of me is, ok... they are doing the right thing. ME1 does need work and I don't mind waiting for it. Hopefully this means a lot of work in being put into this remaster.

What hurts is that I'm not waiting for it. I'm waiting for some shapeless remaster that I have no idea what is going to be. All those improvements might turn out to be trivial, irrelevant or, at worst, a step back.

Just let me see it EA...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I've got a soft spot in my heart for ME1 but yeah the combat is bad. Tried replaying it a few months ago but I didn't finish it. If they're going to bring the game up to par with ME2 then I'm all for waiting a bit longer. I just hope the additions are worth the wait.

And fix the Mako while you're at it.
THIS.

The mako is torture to me in all honesty. The controls for the vehicle in Andromeda are sooooo much better

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer, but ME1 is one of my all time favorites and it's certainly in need of substantial improvements so I can't really be mad at the delay. Expectations are going to be a bit higher now with this news so hopefully they deliver.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what improvements they're aiming for, at least fix the inventory system in ME1 which was awful (especially on console)

sucks that they aren't including ME3 MP though, it was pretty fun

Nov 1, 2017
It's fun seeing just how much the narrative on multiplayer has changed in the last eight years. In 2012 people were livid that BioWare wasted valuable time with a multiplayer mode.

I'm all for Mass Effect getting more QoL improvements. Arguments about it being "a real RPG" notwithstanding, it's always been the roughest game of the three.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I AM SO MAD.

Part of me is, ok... they are doing the right thing. ME1 does need work and I don't mind waiting for it. Hopefully this means a lot of work in being put into this remaster.

What hurts is that I'm not waiting for it. I'm waiting for some shapeless remaster that I have no idea what is going to be. All those improvements might turn out to be trivial, irrelevant or, at worst, a step back.

Just let me see it EA...
I don't know how much effort the'll even put into ME1 in the first place. Could be as simple as maybe reworking the cover system to completely overhauling the gameplay to feel like 2 and 3

But that feels like its a lot of work and i dont know if EA is willing to put in that much effort.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of ME3 MP is a huge bummer. I sunk so many hours into that with friends back in the day.

I guess it makes sense if they don't think it'll take off at all in the current environment, but it's still disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There have been three different listings for Switch version, "all signs" point to a Switch version.

Grubb's reasoning for no Switch version is that he knew what 7 games EA would bring to Switch in one year, so he said Mass Effect Switch should be at least a year away. But we already know that his list is false.
I don't put too much stock in random listings -- especially since those said October.

Natedrake is also saying there's currently no Switch version for launch.

ZhugeEX also seems to suggest it won't be on Switch right away.

I'm a big enough Mass Effect fan that I'd buy it on both Switch and Xbox, but I really don't see it coming at the same time.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, people will never be fucking happy with whatever Bioware does, it's insane.
Up until now everyone was saying that ME1 would be the one to benefit the most from a remaster, and now that it's basically confirmed it's suddenly the sign that it's gonna be shit.
wtf

It's a damn shame about ME3 MP though, it was great and it's a shame it's gonna slowly die and disappear (I was still playing it in 2017 and it was still easy to find players, the game had a small but very dedicated fanbase)

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lame. That ME3 multiplayer is fantastic. I loved the latter months of it, with all the crazy different character builds.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm surprised they would even be able to change anything in ME1 in a meaningful way. I wonder what can they even do. It's not like they can change the whole combat system after all. But if we're talking about making the inventory management less of a pain in the ass, I'm all for it.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I am cool with this. Honestly replaying ME 1 was one thing I was not really looking forward to about the collection. While I enjoyed most of the main missions everything else was a little too slow/tedious for me.

ME 3 multiplayer was fun, but I am also fine with it not being included.

The only real deal-breaker for me is whether this will include all of the dlc. If it doesn't EA can gtfo with this shit.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I AM SO MAD.

Just let me see it EA...
The collection was leaked and thus everyone's getting impatient and antsy, but none of this is on EA or BioWare or anyone else working on the game. They'll show it when they're ready, not because of pressure from leaks.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
ME1's combat is abject trash, if you disagree you either delusional or you haven't played the game in a decade.

I'm the butt of a lot of jokes in friendship groups over my love of the Mass Effect trilogy and I pretty much agree with this. I think ME1 is the best game in the series DESPITE its combat. If they can improve it then I'm all for it.

It's likely QOL stuff that will be changed anyway in the original outside of the expected graphical upgrade. I'm not sure why anyone would prefer the gameplay to be in the exact state it was over a decade ago if there is potential to make it more polished.

As for ME3 multiplayer, its a little disappointing given that it still works on the original game (at least on 360) but it's not a dealbreaker either. Mass Effect was always about the single player content for me and the fun MP was just a cool bonus.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer as F2P cross gen cross play, let's goooooo

I'll still wait to see if I want to play these games again. Mostly interested in seeing how they change the first game.

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
*cries at the no multiplayer included*
Sadly I'll probably won't be getting this at launch. I loved the multiplayer and still play the Mass effect Andromeda here and there too. *cries*

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
ME1 has its issues but I can't imagine any tweaks that wouldn't just end up tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are gonna tweak the TPS camera and shooter controls to feel more like 2 and 3? Like just the axis the camera is on, the amount of momentum when aiming/turning, the auto aim, etc. In theory, you could change that without too much work/alteration of the original just to fix the way it feels.

I would much prefer an actual remake, but if they are only delaying that long it sounds like they are looking to see how little change they can get away with.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
They better not touch the Mako stuff because a bunch of philistines don't appreciate its greatness.

If they touch anything make it the terrible monotony of planet scanning in 2.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The collection was leaked and thus everyone's getting impatient and antsy, but none of this is on EA or BioWare or anyone else working on the game. They'll show it when they're ready, not because of pressure from leaks.

You're absolutely correct. And I didn't mean to imply they are doing anything wrong... in fact quite the opposite. If they are delaying the announcement to give them more freedom in terms of what they want to change and how much time they want to take, they are being very smart.

Of course, that doesn't change how I feel.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't put too much stock in random listings -- especially since those said October.

Natedrake is also saying there's currently no Switch version for launch.

ZhugeEX also seems to suggest it won't be on Switch right away.

I'm a big enough Mass Effect fan that I'd buy it on both Switch and Xbox, but I really don't see it coming at the same time.

Nate heard it from Grubb, not from some other different sources. They're friends.

We know that EA will release 7 Switch games and we know only 4 of them. Out of all possible candidates, Mass Effect Trilogy seems the likeliest now. No disrespect to Grubb, but I'll take retailer listings/rating boards over his word anytime. They're almost never wrong (save for one or two unproven exceptions).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't know how much effort the'll even put into ME1 in the first place. Could be as simple as maybe reworking the cover system to completely overhauling the gameplay to feel like 2 and 3

But that feels like its a lot of work and i dont know if EA is willing to put in that much effort.

That's the question right? I mentioned in the other thread that I strongly believe that precise changes in ME1's combat can have great benefits without needing ridiculous resources. But those need to be very precise, and those more than time and money need people that understand the original game and understand what makes a good TPS combat.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda hoping they would rework the games so they would be of consistent graphical quality and gameplay. So this sounds good.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I love Mass Effect 1 and I've spent literally hundreds of hours with it over many, many playthroughs.

But it's a busted-ass mess of a game on every level. Mechanically, it's not a good RPG, and it's a terrible shooter. When people insist it's the best one I always have to wonder if they've played it within the last decade.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I just really, really hope that something with "Legendary" in its name will include all DLC.

Javik deserves better...

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are updating ME1 they better be updating that ending then. I won't shed any tears for the loss of ME3's multiplayer either.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just really, really hope that something with "Legendary" in its name will include all DLC.

Javik deserves better...
" Mass Effect: Legendary Edition will, however, include all of the downloadable content for all three Mass Effect games. This will enable players to get the full experience included in the purchase price. "

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
They better not touch the Mako stuff because a bunch of philistines don't appreciate its greatness.

If they touch anything make it the terrible monotony of planet scanning in 2.

Bah!
Nothing great about traversing planets with mildly bumpy terrains. The mako was fine for main mission planets, but many of the uncharted worlds were a pain in the ass.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Even though ME1 combat was janky, I always loved that each power/ability had its own INDIVIDUAL COOLDOWN that would really make you slow down to think when to use them. I would love nuking enemies with several powers in a row as an adept though.

I never really liked how they did the powers cooldown in later Mass Effect games but eh...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
ME1 is the best one, though. (...Including its gameplay, by virtue of having the most entertaining iteration of Adept.)

Would be sad to see them bring it in-line with its sequels, which would double as an enormous waste of time and resources.

Sure, do some QoL revamps to stuff like inventory management, but exercise some restraint too.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Mass Effect 1 needs the full remake treatment, not just some texture updates.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I love Mass Effect 1 and I've spent literally hundreds of hours with it over many, many playthroughs.

But it's a busted-ass mess of a game on every level. Mechanically, it's not a good RPG, and it's a terrible shooter. When people insist it's the best one I always have to wonder if they've played it within the last decade.

My take on this is that for a lot of people, the idea of a game is more important than what it actually is. It's like... if ME1's gameplay and RPG elements were a fish, they would be a fish that couldn't swin or breath underwater. In fact it would be barely alive at all. But it would look like a fish, and that's really what it counts for many fans of the series.

What an analogy...

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my heart was crushed with that "no ME3 MP" bit. :(