• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This games creature design feels far too Bootleg to seem like it's inspired by Pokemon.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
nobody had crowns before empoleon

Can you look through the thread?
There's been LOTS of examples even if you wanna get hung up about a particular design not being enough to prove anything.

Like this would probably be less controversial if a single design looked suspicious, but in this case: It's like literally dozens.

They're so....bizarre. Like the Avatar series' animal mash-ups, but without the creative intent (and directness), it's Frankenstein's Pokemon.

Like it's already a duck, why the beaver tail? (And then all the other extra superfluous appendages). Oh right, legally distinct.
latest
EPABvmwWAAAJtFq.jpg

latest
492.png

palworldglaceon.png
250px-0471Glaceon.png
Screenshot_20180726-122218.png
Pok%C3%A9mon_Eevee_art.png

tinkaton.jpg

latest
417.png
FOG8nnLVEAEi7ny.jpg:large

900px-0724Decidueye.png
375px-0475Gallade.png
show

Pokemans_497.gif
148.png

Like, I legit think it's almost FUN to see how many existing Pokemon motifs Pals seem to exhibit. It's so weird... like unused Pokemon concept art. Of course Pokemon fans would notice it lol

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021
It's so disappointing when "artist" just copy the work of other artists and sell them as their own.

Pale world graphics are not even "inspired by" they are just copies, probably some program/ai/artists just mixed the parts.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
And while I do think some of the creature designs are kitbashed, there's IS a distinction in doing it with A.I. that will just steal the art to a designer who deliberately chooses what part goes into the design and them creates it themselves.
Whether by AI or by a human, there isn't much difference really for the person who's art is being stolen.

An artist who rips off other artists would absolutely be called out for it. They don't get a pass just because they are human.

The reason this particular game is getting called out is because it is so very blatant and takes so many different features from so many different Pokemon.

When Data East vs Street Fighter happened, the rosters were small and the genre was relatively new. If you released a game today that featured characters that took from Ryu, Chun Li, Bison, Juri, Cammy and others, but it's a shooter, you would totallly get called out for it. AI or not.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having fun looking at the Pals and working out what Pokémon they are a hodgepodge of?

Like, it's kind of the like Pokémon Infinite Fusion fan game except with 3D models.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The entire industry is built upon iterating on other people's ideas. Should first person shooters have stopped with marathon or wolfenstein 3d or whatever was actually first?
There was actually quite a bit of variety for early FPS games in terms of themes and aesthetics. Catacombs 3D I believe came before Wolfenstein 3D and were fantasy D&D-style themed games. Blake Stone was pure outer space Sci-Fi. Hugo's House of Horrors got an FPS sequel for some reason so that is a more traditional horror. Ken's Labyrinth was just silly all around and featured no guns, just various projectiles. A terrible game like Isle of the Dead had a distinct zombies on island theme with cartoony graphics. Games coming after DOOM and using more advanced engines than a simple Wolf 3D style one, you had Hexen and Heretic which don't borrow the space marine vs demons theme, Strife was a Sci-Fi FPS with RPG elements, Duke Nukem 3D was about an action hero-like character (and of course featured a lot of adult content).

Rise of the Triad was supposed to be a Wolfenstein 3D sequel, but I think they lost the rights to make one so what they did was change up the enemy faction to something more original, set it in modern times and reworked the story and characters with that in mind, and add a bunch of comedic elements so that it's basically a parody. It probably helped that it had a different, much newer artstyle from Wolfenstein 3D to differentiate it even further.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, did you know that Final Fantasy has a spell called Fire, but Shin Megami Tensei has Agni? Pretty suspicious stuff if you ask me!

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

There we go, dats the kind of evidence we like to see. 👍 Now Nintendo could sue and very likely win.

Hey guys, did you know that Final Fantasy has a spell called Fire, but Shin Megami Tensei has Agni? Pretty suspicious stuff if you ask me!

Aggressively silly post when proof of actual plagiarism (and in this case copyright resource theft) is above yours.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously. Otherwise you'd have to make a whole new rig as well. At least this way you can grab the model, make a few changes so they aren't exactly the same, and copy the weights!
First one is yikes.
Second one not so much.
Also hilarious how they are doing it because "animal abuse" like Pokemon doesn't have the exact same problem lmfao.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care for how he barely touches on the art and then just handwaves it away as 'parody'. Parody is not not just ripping off and copying style. These creatures don't look like 'parodies' of pokemon. They just look like pokemon.

Exactly, I dont know why people are reading that and going "Good take", like... No its really not? Hes kind of all over the place. His comparisons are horrific, and he even seems to flat out admit that if the obvious A.I. usage is at some point known that he... what just, doesn't agree with anything he said? How about we ignore the mechanics and the whatever. Just look at this stuff. These are like extreme damn near 1:1 pokemon rips. They arent parodies, c'mon son.

View: https://twitter.com/byofrog/status/1749198773295743156

"they didn't invent spiky wolves!"
Clown show. Where will the goalposts move I wonder.

Oooooof.... WrapitUp.gif

Last edited:

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Not completely informed on how 3D model rigging works, but I'd imagine even changing proportions would mess it up?

Well. These model rips are almost entirely functioning ready to use models, with the exception of missing rig and ik controls. I am not a rigger, so my knowledge is limited in that sense, but these things would need to be created as they're not exported into a final game build.
You can make certain adjustments to the proportions, so as long as they fit the skeleton, you can copy the weights over and make small adjustments.

First one is yikes.
Second one not so much.
Also hilarious how they are doing it because "animal abuse" like Pokemon doesn't have the exact same problem lmfao.

Yeah, the second one isn't 100% there, but many of these models are fusing elements. So it could be using a skeleton from another model.
And yeah, weird to make that the reason.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
First one is yikes.
Second one not so much.

Did you see the "spiky wolf" posted? pretty sure that's the most unchanged model thus far. Those not-Moblins from Craftopia were almost certainly just ripped from Zelda.

Last edited:

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Copyright law and plaigarism norms should be guided by the public interest, first and foremost.

Generally there's a lot of room, even under the far too expansive western copyright system, for derivative works, parodies, works playing in the field, etc. Rowling got to copyright Harry Potter itself, but she didn't get to copyright the concept of a magical boarding school, even though there were many works that had magical schools that ripped off Hogwarts as much as not-Luxio up there rips off Luxio.

This is generally because the public interest is served by the publication of works that are similar to others, that can explore what they were exploring from a different angle or bring a fresh take on a familiar topic to the table. Protecting the ability of artists to be paid for their work is an important policy goals, but it is not the only policy goal. It has to be balanced against the public's interest in seeing derivative works published. Video games do this all the time: Doomlikes do not owe John Romero royalties; Hollow Knight owes its design lineage to Metroid and Castlevania, but does not need to license a Metroidvania IP. Superman got dibs on Superman, but many comics that would be plagiaristic by the standard Palworld is being held to here were still published.

You're welcome to disagree or not about the merits of Palworld as a game, but personally but I think it's fairly clear that if copyright law did forbid its creation, it would be a failure of copyright policy. And it should be clear that whatever minuscule harm Nintendo may suffer from a speculative violation of their copyright is tiny compared to the harm caused by preventing derivative products from coming to market.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Copyright law and plaigarism norms should be guided by the public interest, first and foremost.

Generally there's a lot of room, even under the far too expansive western copyright system, for derivative works, parodies, works playing in the field, etc. Rowling got to copyright Harry Potter itself, but she didn't get to copyright the concept of a magical boarding school, even though there were many works that had magical schools that ripped off Hogwarts as much as not-Luxio up there rips off Luxio.

This is generally because the public interest is served by the publication of works that are similar to others, that can explore what they were exploring from a different angle or bring a fresh take on a familiar topic to the table. Protecting the ability of artists to be paid for their work is an important policy goals, but it is not the only policy goal. It has to be balanced against the public's interest in seeing derivative works published. Video games do this all the time: Doomlikes do not owe John Romero royalties; Hollow Knight owes its design lineage to Metroid and Castlevania, but does not need to license a Metroidvania IP. Superman got dibs on Superman, but many comics that would be plagiaristic by the standard Palworld is being held to here were still published.

You're welcome to disagree or not about the merits of Palworld as a game, but personally but I think it's fairly clear that if copyright law did forbid its creation, it would be a failure of copyright policy. And it should be clear that whatever minuscule harm Nintendo may suffer from a speculative violation of their copyright is tiny compared to the harm caused by preventing derivative products from coming to market.
did you type this to cover your ill timed take on Fire and Agni?

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well. These model rips are almost entirely functioning ready to use models, with the exception of missing rig and ik controls. I am not a rigger, so my knowledge is limited in that sense, but these things would need to be created as they're not exported into a final game build.
You can make certain adjustments to the proportions, so as long as they fit the skeleton, you can copy the weights over and make small adjustments.

Thanks for your input. This may be outside your expertise, but I was just wondering in the case of possibly using Lycanroc's model here, since it has practically identical proportions.

View: https://twitter.com/byofrog/status/1749198773295743156

"they didn't invent spiky wolves!"
Clown show. Where will the goalposts move I wonder.

Would changing something like the lengths of the body or legs have made it much "harder" for them to implement, such as having to make a new animation skeleton?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So many words to excuse what's now not so secretly someone well into crypto, NFTs, pushing AI in the workplace, plagiarism and whatever else. Idk why this game in particular got everyone to just excuse that whole rapidly encroaching profiteering in the game industry. Even have people I respected like Dinga Bakaba pulling Olympic level mental gymnastics to defend it with the most questionable logic.

Is this just a case of tall poppy syndrome to its absolute zenith? Pokemon is an easy target, its the biggest media IP and they reached a breaking point in their pipeline to where the games are kind of broken. But that's turned into backing actual grifters and making them rich, somehow.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming Era really showed its whole ass with this one. Wonder where the goalposts will move now.
Just like with people defending generative AI art here in Era it's made engaging with this topic extremely frustrating and I want to give mad respect to the people fighting the good fight.

Pokemon as a franchise/TPC as a company needs competition and it's aha funny to steal from a big, billion-dollar franchise but it's just excusing one evil for "hurting" another evil.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Me: Direhowl is a Lycanroc. You can literally just look at it and tell.

Folks: No it's not, it's extremely different! Nintendo doesn't own spiky wolves!

Direhowl: Me and Lycanroc literally share the same base modeling. 👀

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Ay yoooooo, these models are fuckin WILD, holy shit. Genuinely wonder where this whole thing will go cause it just feels like more and more examples of flagrant plagiarism keep popping up, and it's a lil bananas. Where's that "The Office" it's the same photo meme at lmao

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the sequel (Didn't even know there was one actually)

But my point with that post is that both games were clearly inspired by their counterpart . Plenty of the characters are Donuts, but being a Donut is how many characters start off and then further enhanced with the creators own identity. Didn't you see my Guardians of the Globe post? Omni-Man is basically what if Goku didn't bump his head ad even Goku and Omniman themsleves share quite a bit from the Superman mythos.

Nothing exist in a vacuum. I wasn't trying to actually lambast the game although with who I was responding too I can see how you could take it that way) so I apologize. But my point was that it's ok to take ideas from stuff we like, which Palworld and Freedom Planet did.

Palworld hasn't gone far enough and comes across as generic and lazy which I've stood by since the start.
my thing is that palmon and freedom planet arent even remotely on the same level to be compared like this

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

What part of "there is proof of plagiarized material posted right above you" did you not get? This isn't theory that they plagiarized anymore, it's pretty clear they stole copyrighted models from Nintendo and edited them lol.