• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
i'm sticking by my opinion it's completely redundant considering everything else going on with the game

and i doubt we're getting anything new out of this convo anyway

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
People have literally brought receipts of the developer's own words and yet our reading of his character is just tavern rumors now, huh?
And? They haven't brought receipts about AI Art being used in the game. To do what they have done they don't need to use AI Art at all they straight up modify models as they go. If they use AI art it would very obviously have appeared in the UI and talent trees yet it hasn't. CEO's say shit all the time doesn't mean it happens heaps of developers and publishers have shown interest in generative AI Art yet we don't jump to the assumption that everyone else games use it. Plagiarism argument is THE argument here AI argument is just noise that can be used to dismiss the real issue here.

Square's CEO has talked up AI, so we better get some receipts for all the art in Rebirth
They probably wont. If it was the case we would have thread like this going forward about every. single. Square Enix release going forward because hey the CEO said they are doing it so literally every studio under them must be using it.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Ultimately this is really a tangential part of the discussion, a bit of circumstantial questioning meant to point of the CEO's general lack of credibility. I'm not wholly invested in proving he's a louse when his own words do that for him. But the fact that we have literally nothing to look at to lend credence to his claim that Pokemon was truly never involved in any way in Palworld's development is just more smoke that, yeah, homeboy is probably lying.
You have to be patient. im am 100% certain they will show us some concept art. You really just need to give them time to create it, I mean it's alot of work. But I'm sure once hats done then they will show it for sure. Al things in due time

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything innately weird about concept art not being posted, there are a bunch of games where concept art is hard to find. But when you have something like a monster collection game in the internet age, having the character designs become popular and having people spread them around is vital to its success. So it might be a little weird when they're going "check out all the Pals in this game you can collect!" and then you go to the wiki and they don't even have a picture of them because they haven't pushed them forward. At the very least you'd probably want to spread awareness of your mascot character since need fans to grab onto that one.

Gacha games are also all about collecting your favourite characters, and you're probably going to see their assets plastered all over the place because they're either made available and or they include them in some way that makes them easy to grab. Like if I just pop open some of the gacha games I have on my phone and see if I can find images online of the things they're trying to sell me:

Super Robot Wars DD

4vcTdwp.jpg

Iron Saga

QEgTqKI.jpg

Medarot S

IMG_0249.png

I don't need to know these things are there in advance, I can just reasonably assume that they're going to be pushed forward because it makes sense for them to be.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And? They haven't brought receipts about AI Art being used in the game. To do what they have done they don't need to use AI Art at all they straight up modify models as they go. If they use AI art it would very obviously have appeared in the UI and talent trees yet it hasn't. CEO's say shit all the time doesn't mean it happens heaps of developers and publishers have shown interest in generative AI Art yet we don't jump to the assumption that everyone else games use it. Plagiarism argument is THE argument here AI argument is just noise that can be used to dismiss the real issue here.
The AI art thing is circumstantial character evidence about the values of the ceo, and by proxy the company. In and of itself it's not indicative of a greater crime, but it's a testament to the character of the ceo and company, and that in turn is evidence on the issue of plagiarism. If someone has stolen before, and says they'd like to steal again in the future, both are kind of relevant when discussing whether he stole right now

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm questioning myself what will happen when inevitably every game uses AI as a core part of game dev for art.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
You have to be patient. im am 100% certain they will show us some concept art. You really just need to give them time to create it, I mean it's alot of work. But I'm sure once hats done then they will show it for sure. Al things in due time
They're waiting on their artist Sen Kugimori to finish it up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No need to wait on them, I'll just go to Bulbapedia instead. Pretty sure it's all there.

I'm questioning myself what will happen when inevitably every game uses AI as a core part of game dev for art.
Gamers will throw artists under the bus.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
This has been brought up multiple times before, and yes while the art style resembles hollow knight, the game as a whole is different, if you would watch the trailer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibHK5LttOQ

But the art for Hollow Knight was a very big part of its development and identity.

Team Cherry are a three man company and they spent alot of time creating that very distinct art style. I honestly feel like stealing their art style is just as bad if not worse than Palworld.

Even if the game plays different it is still not ok

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Team Cherry are a three man company and they spent alot of time creating that very distinct art style. I honestly feel like stealing their art style is just as bad if not worse than Palworld.
This is why the insinuations I've seen around online that Palworld's success is somehow an anti-capitalist win because they hit out at TPC holds no water. Pocket Pair will theft from anyone for profit, which wraps around to them being just as capitalist as TPC.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
But the art for Hollow Knight was a very big part of its development and identity.

Even if the game plays different it is still not ok

Honestly feel bad for the Hollow Knight devs, Silksong isn't even out and already there's a game with a lookalike art style ready to steal its thunder because the CEO is more interested in riding other people's coattails than anything else.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all making #WIPSaturday, a marketing and networking tool for indies, an accountability tool and an obligation and I think that's pretty nefarious and also insincere.
It's not, just refuting the absolutely insane notion that developers don't post concept or WIP pre-release of their early access game. That's like, such a standard practice that thing to argue otherwise would be an exercise in failed gaslighting. Which tbh, failed gaslighting is another tech bro staple.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still wondering if people are having the Wooloo pulled over their eyes because Pocket Pair isn't just committing art theft from Pokémon, they're doing it on a James Somerton scale from multiple sources. There's a lot of creatures that seem original... if you have only ever played Pokémon. Number 61 is Nine-Tailed Fox from Rune Factory 5. Number 11 is part Prinny from Disgaea. I'm pretty sure at this point that all 111 creatures use stolen/traced art assets.

I am kind of dying to know what game they pulled all the cute little Pal clothes, gems, and accessories from. Then again, I did invest like 40 hours into Moco Moco Friends that one time.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
To me the picture you quoted has the same amount of similarities as these two, the only difference being that Palworld gets critique for this:

That is true. I don't care who got inspired by whom first. My whole point from the beginning was that it's impossible to make a Pokemon like game in the same or similar visual style without having any overlap in the designs.
For starters, both the pal and Gyarados are sea dragons, Chimchar is a moneky well Coronamon is a LION!

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Depends on how well it's regulated, so my hopes aren't high. Even the generative AI feature of photoshop weirds me out

eltrov

Aug 30, 2023
I dont know if the screenshoot is real or not as I havent play the game but yes, it uses the official chinese name of pokemon TM/R whatsoever
As far as I can tell (using Steam v0.1.2.0) there's no reference to Pokemon in the Chinese translations. Below are the Simplified and Traditional Chinese texts that pop up once you've caught a 6th Pal and they both use the same characters to represent "Pal" - 帕鲁. Google translates this as Palu which seems to just be a phonetic translation.

View: https://i.imgur.com/1UQIt9X.png

Given that Xbox/Gamepass are still on an earlier version (v0.1.0.0 at launch and v0.1.1.0 as of today), there's still a chance this is real, but that tweet is the only mention I've seen of this since launch and I can't imagine people staying quiet about a find like this.

Two Peppers

May 29, 2022
Honestly feel bad for the Hollow Knight devs, Silksong isn't even out and already there's a game with a lookalike art style ready to steal its thunder because the CEO is more interested in riding other people's coattails than anything else.
It's a bummer to see more of these, but honestly this isn't even the worst Hollow Knight ripoff I've seen this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C_EMrBmKM

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wondering if people are having the Wooloo pulled over their eyes because Pocket Pair isn't just committing art theft from Pokémon, they're doing it on a James Somerton scale from multiple sources. There's a lot of creatures that seem original... if you have only ever played Pokémon. Number 61 is Nine-Tailed Fox from Rune Factory 5. Number 11 is part Prinny from Disgaea. I'm pretty sure at this point that all 111 creatures use stolen/traced art assets.

I am kind of dying to know what game they pulled all the cute little Pal clothes, gems, and accessories from. Then again, I did invest like 40 hours into Moco Moco Friends that one time.
I think it's more the opposite. Pals often feature design elements from Pokemon, but they're sometimes not intuitive, like how they seem to have taken Empoleon's crown beak/crest and placed something very similar on the forehead of an alpaca... for some reason. I don't get why the emperor penguin joke would be applied to an alpaca. They apparently don't even have an evolution mechanic even though several Pals like Kingpaca seem to be designed as evolved forms. But the idea of plagiarism is ultimately that you want to take someone else's success, as opposed to a reference where you want people to know and appreciate what you're basing your work on, so there's absolutely no reason why the Palworld devs would be compelled to make it obvious every time that they're ripping of Pokemon.

But because the plagiarism is so flagrant and being a ripoff of Pokemon is so much a part of Palworld's identity, it primes people into the expectation that everything about Palworld is going to be a ripoff, and that leads to some comparisons which are weaker when taken in a vacuum. Things like kitsune and East Asian dragons have been depicted for at least a thousand years, and have many traditional elements in their depiction, so there's nothing wrong with two developers both visiting that motif and it's true that there are going to be similarities when they do. So the similarity is obvious and easy to point out, but using it as a case for a ripoff is relatively forced compared to some harder to find ones.

Having those weaker comparisons then gives those contrarians or Palworld diehards or whoever it is that wants to deny the plagiarism the allegations fuel to go "hey, this comparison is weak, they must all be weak" when the reason why people are grasping at any possible connection is because the theft is so apparent.

Mar 11, 2020

If it was James Somerton level they would have taken an actual pokemon game, split half a region from one and the second half from another, put them in the wrong gym leader order and pass it off as their own new game.

They took existing meshes to use as a base instead of building models from scratch.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
idk, i just think it's weird to find a completely different molehill to attempt make into a mountain from scratch, which is a herculean, redundant effort when a couple other mountains already exist

The whole thing about concept art is that it's not meant to be its own argument. It's simply another piece of circumstantial evidence that, when taken in context with everything else that's been shown and revealed, supports the notion that some amount of plagiarism took place. After all, you don't need concept art if you're just taking and remixing other people's existing designs and 3D models in a way that (you hope) makes them legally distinct.

Given the size of the team and the amount of content, the corners had to be cut somewhere -- the only questions are where and how.

Yeah, it's honestly really confusing me. I've been wondering if there's some news about AI or something concrete but...it just confuses me a little that people are very hung up on the possibility of AI being used for plagiarism as opposed to...the...actual plagiarism we can discuss?

Like, whatever they committed the crime with, the uh ripoff is still pretty much right there.

It's because decision makers in the gaming space want generative AI to become an effective way to automate production and reduce labor costs -- and everyone knows that means plagiarism. The notion of chopping up existing Pokemon, and sticking them back together in ways that are weirdly inconsistent to actual humans familiar with the source material, feels very much like what an AI would do -- because that's what it does with 2D art. However, that doesn't rule out that a human did the same thing the old-fashioned way.

The usage (or not) of AI is basically irrelevant to the actual question of whether or not there was plagiarism.

While it might be fun to speculate about whether or not generative AI even exists to meet the very specific requirements of this project, it ultimately does not matter. The CEO being onboard for AI (and featuring it prominently in a previous title) does not necessarily mean that it was used for this project, and I don't think there's enough evidence to definitively say one way or the other.

It's the sort of thing that could be clarified during discovery in a U.S. trial ... but given that Nintendo and Pocket Pair are based in Japan, chances are any trial would happen under Japanese jurisdiction, and I have no idea how that would work.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing about concept art is that it's not meant to be its own argument. It's simply another piece of circumstantial evidence that, when taken in context with everything else that's been shown and revealed, supports the notion that some amount of plagiarism took place. After all, you don't need concept art if you're just taking and remixing other people's existing designs and 3D models in a way that (you hope) makes them legally distinct.
Thank you.

beebop

May 30, 2023
www.eurogamer.net

Is Palworld actually any good? Of course not

Eurogamer's thoughts on Palworld, which are in brief: it's not great.

Well, one video game journalist has a pretty harsh review of it. I wonder how many angry people are in the comments, hopefully no death threats.
The guy says it's a game to be sold, and you'll feel like a mark having bought it. Yet his Twitter profile shows he is a fan of Pokémon which forces you to buy each game twice to make sure you get access to all the Pokémon.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The guy says it's a game to be sold, and you'll feel like a mark having bought it. Yet his Twitter profile shows he is a fan of Pokémon which forces you to buy two versions of each game to make sure you get access to all the Pokémon.
Or you can just… trade. A core mechanic of the series. Like, I get your point, but this is just whataboutism.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The guy says it's a game to be sold, and you'll feel like a mark having bought it. Yet his Twitter profile shows he is a fan of Pokémon which forces you to buy each game twice to make sure you get access to all the Pokémon.
What a hilarious whataboutism. Pokemon never forced anyone to buy both versions, even when online trading didn't exist

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
That's never been a requirement since the online trade system was brought to the games.

RaphaBE

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
California
Pretty odd review, but I'll give them credit: they properly quoted the game director, unlike many posters who keep shamelessly distorting the quote ("he said he loves stealing and he encourages his employees to steal!") to make it sound a lot worse. Here's the quote:
I have a deep-rooted desire for my work to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, and to that end, if there are good ideas in the world, I pick them up, and I don't think I need to be particular about originality. I want to make it less serious, or rather, more easy-going. I think it's good to create something in that way, like jumping on what's trendy (lol).

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Obviously what people mean is "there's a wolf pokemon based after winter and ice, there's really just that many variants you can do in the same artstyle"

There are obv a couple that look like animals (the wolf in particular), but if the pokemon looks like a bipedal blob with a flower on its head, what kinda animal is that based on that would necessitate copying this exact style? lol
Especially since we have images being passed around with dozens of extremely similiar designs and only a tiny amount of which modeled after a real animal.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Or you can just… trade. A core mechanic of the series. Like, I get your point, but this is just whataboutism.
The whole "it's a game to be sold" criticism is absolutely terrible. That could be used for every game. Pokemon is a game that's made to be sold. Arguably one of the biggest and best examples of that. If that's really a bad thing he should use that in all of his upcoming articles

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
The CEO has refused to come out and say that Pokemon even had any mild inspiration on the project. At most, he's said it's "interesting" that people would make the association (wonder why they're doing that; total mystery) and that it might be advantageous to the game's success for that name to be associated with Palworld. That alone is suspect, as is the fact that we have once again had no actual look as to the conceptualization of the Pals themselves. Literally nothing. TPC at least releases model sheets and 2D artwork because they have nothing to hide.

Always thought the best way to avoid a potential PR shitstorm is... Not answering at all.

Now I can see if it really works.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The whole "it's a game to be sold" criticism is absolutely terrible. That could be used for every game. Pokemon is a game that's made to be sold. Arguably one of the biggest and best examples of that. If that's really a bad thing he should use that in all of his upcoming articles
I think what the author is trying to say - and it is somewhat sloppy language, to be sure - is that while all games are products, some games feel more like products than others. The connotation is basically what plenty of folks here have noted: the game feels cynical, like it exists entirely to capitalize on popular ideas. A theory which is somewhat reinforced by the CEO quite literally saying that he would rather jump on trends than be original.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It was just a matter of time to have someone openly supporting genAI. And he's apparently making ton's of money too. Guess others will follow.
Does this really portend a change in CEO morality, though? I guess I just don't see the precedent being set. Several (gaming) CEOs are already all aboard for AI, including generative AI, especially if it means getting to lay people off. Being for trend chasing? Well, maybe it's not openly stated as often. Welcome to the cynicism of commercial game development.

But I think anything people are worried about is (and has been) the case for a while now already.