• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's only 6 months old.
Yeah, and? That's ancient by videogame standards. Point stands that anyone who was willing to buy it at full price likely has already. Nobody was holding out for this surprise iOS version, the only people who will purchase this are those who are desperate for something to show off/justify their shiny new iPhone.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I get the skepticism. Especially as its delegated to one mobile device (the iPhone) and their more "premium" tablets (iPad M1). Not sure how many folks on era play mobile games at all or are interested in their devices.
Nintendo is also a lot lot more established and has a whole legacy of games, so that comparison is quite skewed.

Apple's ecosystem has not been much in favour of gaming, moreover there's been some bumps in the road with their graphics API and dropping support 32bit support and now there's a slow ramp up period with all the titles coming out right now as most ingredients are in place I guess. It'll take some years and continuous releases to shift the perception of using iPhone and Mac devices as a platform to play your games on. That's the larger question mark and perhaps the root of the skepticism, but I guess that's why they're pulling in publisher to release their games for their new flagship phone. It would be cool if Lies of P is going to be available on the iPhone too (it has been released on MacOS and also has a $59.99 price).

Their platform is also solely reliant on the App store, so it remains to be seen how it'll be after it has to open up to sideloading, potentially providing avenue for other stores with maybe more favorable pricing. It's not like the Steam deck where your PC games are guaranteed to be available across other devices so in a way with Apple you're kind of locked in similar to consoles so that $60 is going to sting, regardless if you're on mobile or not.

I already spend >1000 EUR for my phone and use it for more than 3 years. If the latest flagship can provide me a portable console experience, I would be enticed to purchase a title like this, but Apple's devices are always in the more premium range so there has to be a more middle-segment device to make it attractive worldwide. On the other hand, many Asian countries use their phone as their primary device for a lot of purposes and media consumption. It kind of replaces their TV at times and you'll find that carrying a battery bank is very common :p.

Regarding the feasibility of playing as a gaming handheld there's already a great field of accessories to make and the switch of usb-c means that you don't have to buy that 1 apple exclusive version. Moreover, going by the early numbers the battery life is going to be reasonable.

You can view how a docking experience can be like with RE8:village beta preview;

anywhos, pretty cool right!

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This can alternatively be phrased as "the Mac version, also you can run it on your iPhone or iPad if you've got the right model"

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
I think I saw though the apple versions of RE Village will be $30 and the Death Stranding will be $40? I'll have to double check but maybe they are pricing based on game. RE4 was a this year game and I've only seen it go on sale for $40, so I think it kinda makes sense. I won't partake in playing it on my phone, but I can see what they are thinking if they price the other games accordingly.

Laoshi

Jul 20, 2022
Metro City
I think it's ok if you can play the copy on both iPhone 15 Pro and your MacOS desktop with cross save progression I assume. And eventually Apple Vision? Lol

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Well, RE4 is not just any game, it's one of the best 2023 games. I think the pricing makes sense.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the same will happen for Resident Evil Village - it is currently on sale at 24.49 GBP on the Mac Store but looks like that ends after today? Could be timed to take advantage of them releasing iPhone info for Village?

Hesitant to even click buy on it in case they pull some shenanigans and force a rebuy for the iPhone, what are the chances?

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
george-bush-sr.gif

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The paradox of getting big game ports on low power hardware never stops amazing me. They're more expensive to develop and everyone wants them for less. It's always odd, and I wonder if it'll ever go away.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the same will happen for Resident Evil Village - it is currently on sale at 24.49 GBP on the Mac Store but looks like that ends after today? Could be timed to take advantage of them releasing iPhone info for Village?

Hesitant to even click buy on it in case they pull some shenanigans and force a rebuy for the iPhone, what are the chances?

RE village will not have universal purchase, it's a separate version from the Mac one. (check threadmark).

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The value proposition seems fair. Attractive, even: phone, tablet and computer versions all rolled into one purchase?

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
The pricing is completely reasonable, but very few people will be willing to pay that.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The pricing is identical to Steam.

store.steampowered.com

Save 25% on Resident Evil 4 on Steam

Survival is just the beginning. Six years have passed since the biological disaster in Raccoon City. Leon S. Kennedy, one of the survivors, tracks the president's kidnapped daughter to a secluded European village, where there is something terribly wrong with the locals.

Great ecosystems support 3rd party resellers, so you can get that standard Steam version under 29€ or deluxe under 35€.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm really excised to see how this looks and performs on Apple hardware, it's incredible that we've gotten to this point where a AAA high-end game can have a version of the game run on a high-end smartphone.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised with that really, but how much will it sell is the question.
Honestly, while $60 for a mobile game may seem a big jump compared to what most people are used to, (especially in this case for a somewhat 'limited version', at least whether it'll be able to scale up and etc. on future iphones), I do hope paid games/apps on mobile become more commonplace and worthwhile. That they didn't is why we have F2P hell and monetization to hell, which really has resulted in worse games.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
#NormalizePremiumMobileGames

Seriously though. Normalize it. The platform needs games like this to succeed.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
A single purchase for all your devices sounds pretty good personally!
If I had capable devices would prefer it to a Steam version rn.
That's a very smart way to take advantage of your family of products and consequently a very good way to keep gaming inside your ecosystem.

I think this is the time i will be looking at Apple gaming more seriously…
The biggest doubt is that many games became unusable on their products with time, the only games I ever lost in space and time are AppStore ones…

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The value proposition seems fair. Attractive, even: phone, tablet and computer versions all rolled into one purchase?
Personally I'd argue ecosystem-wide support should be the expectation in this Apple Silicon age. If a game is on Mac, iPad, and/or iPhone, expecting people to buy those different versions individually is asking them to double or triple dip when they arguably shouldn't have to.

I mean, generally you get any applicable Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of a game when bought on Steam, and those are completely different OSes.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and? That's ancient by videogame standards. Point stands that anyone who was willing to buy it at full price likely has already. Nobody was holding out for this surprise iOS version, the only people who will purchase this are those who are desperate for something to show off/justify their shiny new iPhone.
Late Xbox ports rarely release at a reduced price. This is normal.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
It's already hilariously greedy and oblivous to ask for late pc ports anywhere near full price but they're insane if they expect to sell the game for 60 bucks even if it's xplatform on apple devices. A discount is a given especially after months after the release of the game and a smarter move would be to combine it with their subscription service in some way.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Universal Purchase.

iPhone 15 Pro.
iPad M1 series and later
MacOS.

Game controller support.

apps.apple.com

‎Resident Evil 4

‎Survival is just the beginning. Six years have passed since the biological disaster in Raccoon City. Agent Leon S. Kennedy, one of the survivors of the incident, has been sent to rescue the president's kidnapped daughter. He tracks her to a secluded European village, where there is something...

Some iPad footage was shown @ TGS (Re village & Re4)

www.youtube.com

TGS2023『バイオハザード』シリーズ スペシャルステージ<カプコン ステージライブ 23.9.23>東京ゲームショウ2023

★☆生放送お見逃しなく!チャンネル登録はこちら!☆★http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyuEAZQzRqhcaLZvQd9ZUNA?sub_confirmation=1東京ゲームショウ2023 カプコンブースTGS2023『バイオハザード』シリーズ スペシャルステージ今後発売予定の...

iPhone Screenshots;

www.capcom-games.com

Resident Evil Series Releases for Apple Devices|CAPCOM

You favorite CAPCOM masterpieces, coming soon to Apple devices!

Heh, I'll buy it at a high price

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Universal Purchase.

iPhone 15 Pro.
iPad M1 series and later
MacOS.

Game controller support.

apps.apple.com

‎Resident Evil 4

‎Survival is just the beginning. Six years have passed since the biological disaster in Raccoon City. Agent Leon S. Kennedy, one of the survivors of the incident, has been sent to rescue the president's kidnapped daughter. He tracks her to a secluded European village, where there is something...

Some iPad footage was shown @ TGS (Re village & Re4)

www.youtube.com

TGS2023『バイオハザード』シリーズ スペシャルステージ<カプコン ステージライブ 23.9.23>東京ゲームショウ2023

★☆生放送お見逃しなく!チャンネル登録はこちら!☆★http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyuEAZQzRqhcaLZvQd9ZUNA?sub_confirmation=1東京ゲームショウ2023 カプコンブースTGS2023『バイオハザード』シリーズ スペシャルステージ今後発売予定の...

iPhone Screenshots;

www.capcom-games.com

Aw sweet. I'd be able to play on both my Mac AND iPhone. Do we know if we can go back and forth between devices and use the same save?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's already hilariously greedy and oblivous to ask for late pc ports anywhere near full price but they're insane if they expect to sell the game for 60 bucks even if it's xplatform on apple devices. A discount is a given especially after months after the release of the game and a smarter move would be to combine it with their subscription service in some way.
The sub services seem like huge money losers though. AAA games cost hundreds of millions to secure, based on the MS leak, and subscription services in general don't seem profitable. Brute forcing your way into Pc gaming with steep discounts or free games doesn't work for Epic and that's available on infinitely more machines than Mac.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
My only fear with this pricing is that future hardware revisions/OS updates, might make a version unplayable. Developer has zero incentive to update and Apple has a history of making paid for content unusable.

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
Don't think it'll do too well at this price. I think Apple needs to really double down on gaming in their ecosystem for people to start spending this kind of money. Have a separate App Store tab for these full price AAA games as opposed to the free to play mobile games. Also get a hell of a lot more of them. Turn based games are perfect for this tbh.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
The phone is $999 or $1199. People are whining about this? The game is well worth $60 and it can be played across all Apple platforms.

VibrantStorm

May 11, 2021
Good! We need more premium pricing on mobile. Premium game market on mobile is the most dire it's ever been.
THIS! the whole free to play has destroyed the market for indiedevs. the cost of just verifying a games retention numbers etc. is currently around 10.000 euro before a publisher will even look at it. having the mobile gaming market move to premium titles would be such a good thing for indie developers like ourselves.

So yeah, more expensive/premium games on mobile please!

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$60 is what the game costs on other platforms right now, why would it be less here? If anything it's a better deal since it's a universal game that runs across MacOS, iPadOS and iOS instead of just on one platform. Who knows if the market will accept it, but the price is completely fair.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
The sub services seem like huge money losers though. AAA games cost hundreds of millions to secure, based on the MS leak, and subscription services in general don't seem profitable. Brute forcing your way into Pc gaming with steep discounts or free games doesn't work for Epic and that's available on infinitely more machines than Mac.

It is, but I've heard little Tim has saved up some cash for a while. He can make almost anything happen similiar to Epic offering big discounts, exclusives and free games. But this just screams like a losing venture, Capcom will not sell enough to continue to support those platforms.

Even at 30 bucks people will rather grab the pc/console version. And many people who really wanted the game probably purchased it on already available platforms.

Deleted member 158819

Sep 19, 2023
I don't see what's wrong with the pricing.
Why would you devalue it because it's on mobile.
Especially when you can play it across all Apple products except Apple TV, which I'm sure is right around the corner. People just aren't used to these price tags in mobile gaming but there has to be a start to get these huge games on the platform.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
Speaking of which, have they announced any additional system requirements for the MacOS versions? Are we to believe that *any* system with the M1 will run the game equivalently?
They list all the supported Mac models on the Capcom site which looks like everything since the 2020 M1 MacBook Air. No mention of other requirements, but if I had to guess only having 8GB RAM might make for a bad time.

www.capcom-games.com

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Good! We need more premium pricing on mobile. Premium game market on mobile is the most dire it's ever been.
Completely agree.

This is functionally no different than buying a game and being able to play it on your PC and also Steam Deck. Only, you can throw in a phone too!

Universal iOS/MacOS game purchases make a ton of sense, and we need something in the mobile space that isn't free-to-play.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
one of the best things about this thread is we get to see different types of justifications for game pricing

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Aw sweet. I'd be able to play on both my Mac AND iPhone. Do we know if we can go back and forth between devices and use the same save?

Going by the experience of Apple arcade titles, which have game center support. I think there'll be cross-progression.
The original toucharcade article (I presume they have official communication from capcom PR) also mentions it;

Resident Evil 4 Remake will have cross progression on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS while Resident Evil Village will have cross progression on iPadOS and iOS only.

My only fear with this pricing is that future hardware revisions/OS updates, might make a version unplayable. Developer has zero incentive to update and Apple has a history of making paid for content unusable.

Well compared to before and if apple does not divert from their current-architecture (e.g. going RISC or back to x86), I think there's a higher certainty that these games will remain to be playable for the future. Apple was also the first to make a switch to 64bit support, which came at a loss of developers not updating their apps, but they've put in effort for their Rosetta2 and now game porting toolkit. There's a bit more unification of architecture compared to the situation before and from a mobile OEM perspective, they do provide the longest OS support. Although developers will have to keep updating and the upkeep/entry price to their hardware can be quite expensive. Moreover, perhaps long-term apple has to decouple the graphics API from the OS updates s.t. intermedieate feature updates can be provided and you're not required to update your OS, but that's perhaps a discussion for another thread. Moreover, perhaps there'll be games that require specific hardware support (e.g. Ray tracing), but they do have a software fall-back for that.
It's too early to tell now as we're still 3 years into this whole Apple silicon business and pretty much this year they've made quite big leaps in terms of support and feasibility for gaming on their devices.

They list all the supported Mac models on the Capcom site which looks like everything since the 2020 M1 MacBook Air. No mention of other requirements, but if I had to guess only having 8GB RAM might make for a bad time.

www.capcom-games.com

Well the M1 8GB does perform quite well, I have not used it personally, but from looking through the performance reviews with RE:village there's not much bottlenecks encountered.

The Medium was a recent game where 8GB was lacking.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Completely fair price considering its a whole ass, fairly brand new game, and if you have more than one recent Apple device even better. But ain't no one buyin it. People just don't buy apps anymore, especially not $60.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Universal Purchase.

iPhone 15 Pro.
iPad M1 series and later
MacOS.

Game controller support.
…it's funny… if you would have said the MacOS version is $60 and you get the phone version for free, the replies in this thread probably would be a lot different.

But seeing it's being pitched as a $60 premium "mobile" game, everyone assumes it's going to fail.

It's a universal purchase– buy once, play it on your laptop, tablet, and phone… all with cross save. We can only hope they start putting the A17 Pro in the AppleTV too. Then you get it on your laptop, tablet, phone, and console.