MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Now you know why these streamers are laughing all the time

tumblr_m53tufJiok1qg6rkio4_250.gifv

toibocks

Sep 23, 2021
Not sure why people are acting like making a lot of money on Twitch is some malicious scam and not just an incredibly lucky break. I feel its like getting mad at someone for winning the lottery

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
So from August 2019 until October 2021, Twitch paid out over $1.3 Billion.

That's no small operation.

Good for the dedicated streamers that got theirs.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A community can still be built around a streamer but not involved personal interactions. I'm part of a few streamer discords and they can be chill places to talk streams or games or whatever.
I'm glad you are getting something out of it.

What I would say however regarding streamer discords is that it's simply another way to keep your audience engaged and is another aspect of marketing and audience engagement.

If the streamer is not currently on, having your audience have a dedicated place to all go and talk together about the streamer or things related to their content, increases the chance of them staying engaged and feeling like they are a part of a community.

Having a place to discuss things with like minded people is a good thing. I post a lot in the AEW thread here as it has a lot of good people who also enjoy that product.

I personally however don't like communities that are built for following specific personalities or groups. I find that often it ends up being a place where fans feel they have a relationship with the person/group and it ends up fostering an uncritical environment that pushes away any form of criticism that gets brought up. I have decided to stop posting in more than one OT here for content creators because if I being up something I am not a fan of, I get jumped by the hardcore fans in the group because they take it as an attack on the people.

toibocks

Sep 23, 2021
Streamers work their asses off too. It's mostly jealousy.
Im sure a lot of them do, but lets be honest, theres a ton of people that work just as hard as they do with just as much talent that havent made it, because a lot of success in entertainment is based entirely on the zeitgeist lining up with your personality in just the right way. Speaking as someone who knows a lot of people who work in the industry

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Barb being on the list of top earners is really surprising. I've been watching him since he was averaging 500 viewers a stream, and it doesn't feel that long ago to me. I've had it in my mind that he's been hovering around 10k subs for a while now, but apparently not if he's pulling in that kind of money. I skipped through the thread, do we know if that sheet includes donations or is it just the money they're pulling from subs alone?

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Even #10000 on the list made ~23K over the last 2 years.

I know 11.5K a year isn't exactly home owning mortgage money, but you could definitely scrape by renting, especially if you're rooming with someone.

Catching up but to put that number in context that would be less than what you would make working full time at a minimum wage. After taxes and factoring all expenses it's nothing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers and parasocial relationships.

[Insert literally any media thing] and Parasocial relationships. Let's not pretend that this is some unique issue only with streamers and isn't something that people do with literally anything. People only get mad here because people are making more money then them.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The same people here saying not to give money to millionaires shop at Amazon and Walmart.

Guys, this isn't a streamer thing.

May 17, 2018
Not sure why people are acting like making a lot of money on Twitch is some malicious scam and not just an incredibly lucky break. I feel its like getting mad at someone for winning the lottery

I think a lot of it comes from seeing *who* is catching those lucky breaks.

Like, just seeing xQc get almost a million last month is depressing.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
It really makes me curious what Tim and Lupo were given from Youtube to abandon that money.

Stability.

I suspect they have a baseline payout per month from YouTube plus a cut of streaming revenues, and that baseline payout is the floor that provides them stability Twitch didn't.

Lupo did an interview where he seemed to indicate that was the case and he'd have more time now to spend with his family.

toibocks

Sep 23, 2021
I think a lot of it comes from seeing *who* is catching those lucky breaks.

Like, just seeing xQc get almost a million last month is depressing.
I mean, even if the person is dislikable, they arent responsible for happening to walk into a situation that made them a millionaire. The rage (if any is even justified) should be directed at a higher, systemic level. But also, I get that it can be fun to complain about a shitty person catching a break

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
My only thoughts are after someone hits a certain tear it should just be locked to subs and not "donations." If top celebrities/actors started adding donation links along with dropping their latest trailers I think I would be sick to my stomach.
People should be donating to those in need. Of course donations should be around for those streamers who could use it.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Barb being on the list of top earners is really surprising. I've been watching him since he was averaging 500 viewers a stream, and it doesn't feel that long ago to me. I've had it in my mind that he's been hovering around 10k subs for a while now, but apparently not if he's pulling in that kind of money. I skipped through the thread, do we know if that sheet includes donations or is it just the money they're pulling from subs alone?

I think it's overall revenues. And he's pulling 3.6K on his RE2 stream right now. I know he's sub 15k subscribers because we haven't seen him be forced to go back to Skyward Sword again.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Breaking this down a bit more, if that 930k figure is pretax and if Barb gets a 60/40 split, after taxes, over two years his net total takeaway is a bit higher than 260k over two years, which actually does sound about right from what he's said on stream about his income. You'd have to making considerably more than just a million to be walking away with at least a million net so I don't think the majority of the people on that list should quit taking donations even when they're drawing in 6 figures off subs. Barb streams at least 8 hours a day 7 days a week, so he's putting in work for that money. I'm not sure if that's true of most of these guys, but I think jumping to assumptions does a disservice to just how much work some of them are doing.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
My only thoughts are after someone hits a certain tear it should just be locked to subs and not "donations." If top celebrities/actors started adding donation links along with dropping their latest trailers I think I would be sick to my stomach.
People should be donating to those in need. Of course donations should be around for those streamers who could use it.

Twitch would love a revenue payout cap, FWIW. It's free money to them at that point.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking this down a bit more, if that 930k figure is pretax and if Barb gets a 60/40 split, after taxes, over two years his net total takeaway is a bit higher than 260k over two years, which actually does sound about right from what he's said on stream about his income. You'd have to making considerably more than just a million to be walking away with at least a million net so I don't think the majority of the people on that list should quit taking donations even when they're drawing in 6 figures off subs. Barb streams at least 8 hours a day 7 days a week, so he's putting in work for that money. I'm not sure if that's true of most of these guys, but I think jumping to assumptions does a disservice to just how much work some of them are doing.

Yeah, that sounds about right on the math. Those numbers seem like pre-tax revenues from Twitch alone, so it's not a full accounting.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Streamers work their asses off too. It's mostly jealousy.

they work a lot but relative to other jobs they arent doing hard labor, or skilled labor, and the ones at the top have 7 figure bank accounts mostly based on luck, a minimal amount of humor and physical looks.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Streamers and parasocial relationships.
[Insert literally any media thing] and Parasocial relationships. Let's not pretend that this is some unique issue only with streamers and isn't something that people do with literally anything. People only get mad here because people are making more money then them.
My favorite thing about the "parasocial relationship" talk of the past few years is that nobody mentioned it until a popular youtube video came out and suddenly everyone wants to talk about it like they've always been aware of it and above it.

Sometimes people just like watching someone's content and enjoys engaging with it.

they arent doing [...] skilled labor
Have you tried it?
Because I did once and surprise, I was garbage at it.

Being entertaining and engaging, in public to an audience, while also performing any kind of task, is not something everyone can do. It absolutely takes both practice/work and a certain level of skill to get anywhere with it.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I don't mind donations.
For me I see it as tipping. I enjoy the content, they get some money from me. And I don't need to sub via Twitch where Twitch gets a cut. So I rather donate to show support. If a streamer can entertain me and I spend some time on their streams and enjoy it, I don't have a problem with paying for this.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Twitch would love a revenue payout cap, FWIW. It's free money to them at that point.
I guess but people would probably just stop buying the currency to donate if they only donate to big streamers or best case scenario they donate more often to smaller streamers.

I don't mind donations.
For me I see it as tipping. I enjoy the content, they get some money from me. And I don't need to sub via Twitch where Twitch gets a cut. So I rather donate to show support. If a streamer can entertain me and I spend some time on their streams and enjoy it, I don't have a problem with paying for this.

Well maybe I'm over thinking it but they should change the option to tip . It just seems weird to me for rich people to be asking for donations.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I should probably change all my passwords, on all accounts everywhere.

I should probably do that once a week.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's overall revenues. And he's pulling 3.6K on his RE2 stream right now. I know he's sub 15k subscribers because we haven't seen him be forced to go back to Skyward Sword again.
is 3.6k viewers a high number now? he usually ends his morning streams at around 5k. I always thought top earners on twitch were regularly pulling in 10k+ viewers per stream. I'm surprised you can be a top earner on there with lower numbers than that, especially as a variety streamer.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really all that shocking. many of these people straight up post there subcount on the screen.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
I should probably change all my passwords, on all accounts everywhere.

I should probably do that once a week.
There is no reason to change passwords every week. It actually could make it unsafe (if you do not use a password manager with randomly created PWs).
If you have different passwords for each platform, there is no need to worry in general.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Time for you all to see how much I have made on twitch
it's nothing

But wow this is pretty bad. I wonder if this was an inside job. I guess I can change my password on my phone but will have to change my stream key when I get home.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
My favorite thing about the "parasocial relationship" talk of the past few years is that nobody mentioned it until a popular youtube video came out and suddenly everyone wants to talk about it like they've always been aware of it and above it.

Sometimes people just like watching someone's content and enjoys engaging with it.

Have you tried it?
Because I did once and surprise, I was garbage at it.

Being entertaining and engaging, in public to an audience, while also performing any kind of task, is not something everyone can do. It absolutely takes both practice/work and a certain level of skill to get anywhere with it.

of course it takes some amount of ability but its not a skilled job

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out the only person I follow who actually makes any money on Twitch is Maximilian Dood. Glad he's doing well though.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
So I changed my PW on my pc downstairs, but now I cant login on any of my other PCs bc it says I need a verification code sent to my email, but I'm getting nothing in my email.....wtf???? Anyone?

And yes, my email is verified, and I checked spam folders.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

I know 11.5K a year isn't exactly home owning mortgage money, but you could definitely scrape by renting, especially if you're rooming with someone.
My dude, it would be fairly difficult to live on ~$11k pre-taxes. That is not a lot of money.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
So I changed my PW on my pc downstairs, but now I cant login on any of my other PCs bc it says I need a verification code sent to my email, but I'm getting nothing in my email.....wtf???? Anyone?

And yes, my email is verified, and I checked spam folders.
It's probably slow right now with everyone changing stuff.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
I'm going to start saving for a nice PC and start streaming lmao. Even "small" channels are doing like 3 to 4 times the money I make with my sad low-paying-Mexican-10-hours-a-day job.

Last edited:

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
I would bet it was an external hacker that used social engineering to get in. The amount of leaks that have been caused by someone infiltrating Slack or finding some other way to get credentials for an engineer is higher than you would expect. Even with that in mind getting able to get the entire database with no problem is crazy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

11.5k is dogshit money over a year span. That's nothing.
It's maybe a nice bit of extra income if you have a 9-5 and stream on the side but I don't see how anyone could reliably live off of less than 1k a month.
I'm pretty sure these are pre tax figures as well.