cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No... It was misconstrued as such, though. Dusk said they were having problems with the PS5, problems they eventually resolved.

There's other details to what he said, but fact of the matter is, they seem to run essentially identically, which is always a win.
Yea.. People can be insufferable can't they.. Why are we like this? lol Dusk was always clear that he expected it would be cleared up by launch. It was just a snapshot in time.

I think people are totally free to discount the value of that rumor because it doesn't impact anything. But, that whole situation is crazy (especially when Dusk remains a source of information).

Jul 28, 2020
Disappointing that they've not squeezed more out of the SX, imo.

Makes me wonder if this is like the 900p Ass Creed situation at the beginning of last gen.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yea.. People can be insufferable can't they.. Why are we like this? lol Dusk was always clear that he expected it would be cleared up by launch. It was just a snapshot in time.

I think people are totally free to discount the value of that rumor because it doesn't impact anything. But, that whole situation is crazy (especially when Dusk remains a source of information).

Yep, Dusk has proven again and again to be a reliable and great source for RE info.

I think his mistake was not consulting with someone more knowledgeable with gaming hardware. He wrote the rumor as though the PS5 was struggling with 4k on certain Capcom games, and people took that to mean he was suggesting that PS5 was struggling with 4k in general. But someone with experience using an RX 5700 XT or Radeon VII, the AMD hardware that the PS5 and Series X were no doubt going to be based on, knew that the PS5 and Series X would be very capable 4k machines.

Funny enough, in the end, the game doesn't actually run at 4k on PS5, it apparently runs at checkerboard 4k. I would assume that there is a ton of overhead in the non-Ray Tracing modes since they are also running at 4k CB? Perhaps using CB was the compromise they chose, along with other optimizations to resch 60fps.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Just played the series x demo earlier today with ray tracing and it sure didn't feel like 60 FPS. Could just be me but something just felt a little off. It wasn't that silky smooth I was expecting.

Village RT ON : has some framedrops during high grass fight
Castle RT ON: runs close to 60fps locked with RT

Jul 28, 2020
The power gulf between the last gen base systems are significantly different than the ones now.
Sure, but we've seen significant differences in other 3rd party games such as Hitman, seems peculiar how exactly the two match, almost like the Series X is running software aimed at PS5, rather than both machines running software as best they can.

Last edited:

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is struggling to run God of War Ragnarök at 1080p/30fps. You heard it here first. Also Sony Japan is working on a reboot of Castlevania for PS5.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Always good to see a multi platform game that is virtually identical in visuals and performance between the two platforms. Everybody wins. Now we just have to hope the control issues people have complained about in the Xbox demo have been resolved for the full game.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
PS5 is struggling to run God of War Ragnarök at 1080p/30fps. You heard it here first.
I mean. This is possibly LITERALLY true, in some ways. Games early in development aren't polished and have all sorts of problems. Optimization often comes right at the end of the process. Are there parts of God of War Ragnorak that look like crap and run poorly, even now? Yea, I wouldn't be surprised. Doesn't mean other parts of the game don't look and run great, nor that the vast majority of the game has any issues at all, nor that any of those problem areas will persist into retail release.

There was never really anything extraordinary about what Dusk said lol.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

Makes me wonder if this is like the 900p Ass Creed situation at the beginning of last gen.
It's a very different situation than AC unity (or PS4 / XB1). Both machines are performing virtually the same in that game. This is the worst scene showed by VGTech, the XSX is performing about 4% better than PS5. What more could have they done on MS box?

JRUhlOW.png

Sep 7, 2020
Both Series X and PS5 are basically identical in the grand scheme of things. You couldn't go wrong with either platform. I plan on getting this for the series X so that I can share it after I beat the game with my brother who recently got a series X. The PS5 version is awesome as well.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Always good to see a multi platform game that is virtually identical in visuals and performance between the two platforms. Everybody wins. Now we just have to hope the control issues people have complained about in the Xbox demo have been resolved for the full game.
Fingered crossed, or I'm gonna have to flip my preorder over to the PS5 version which is more work than I care to do.

Jul 28, 2020
It's a very different situation than AC unity (or PS4 / XB1). Both machines are performing virtually the same in that game. This is the worst scene showed by VGTech, the XSX is performing about 4% better than PS5. What more could have they done on MS box?

JRUhlOW.png
Which is weird, looking at other games the X has been putting out much higher resolutions, etc.

It just doesn't add up to me. If someone's buying a graphics card for their pc and one does 10tf and the other does 12tf, then they can just buy the cheaper one because both will perform exactly the same, despite one being 20% more powerful?

That's what I mean when I say it's a shame that they didn't squeeze more out of the X.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Which is weird, looking at other games the X has been putting out much higher resolutions, etc.

It just doesn't add up to me. If someone's buying a graphics card for their pc and one does 10tf and the other does 12tf, then they can just buy the cheaper one because both will perform exactly the same, despite one being 20% more powerful?

That's what I mean when I say it's a shame that they didn't squeeze more out of the X.
The TITAN RTX is roughly that much more powerful than the Founder's RTX 2080 ti (teraflops are about theoretical peak performance, at that) and rarely, if ever, did benchmarks show such a discrepancy. It's not a simple matter of "teh teraflops", though. From the beginning, folks in the know said to expect these two systems to be as close as we've ever seen out of closed machines such as them. Expecting some 20% difference is likely going to always result in disappointment because it's just not that simple.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So nearly identical performance on PS5 and SX. I might just get the SX version because of my wireless SteelSeries headphones

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Dusk did say this:

RE8 is running at 1080p60 on the PS4 Pro, so the suggestion that PS5 would hit that at launch after all the optimizations that would take place is honestly bizzare.

funny how so many are claiming to know what he said, yet you're the only one with receipts

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
funny how so many are claiming to know what he said, yet you're the only one with receipts
I mean, a few of us have receipts on some things said. The grapevine suggesting that the PS5 struggled with 4K in games (which will mean lots of "fake 4K") while the Series X had no such issues — and we now see very little variation between the two as they both use Checkboard Rendering to achieve optimal results from time-to-time [yes, I know the X has the potential to push it a bit more, so keep the pitchforks at bay 😄 ]. Or, for us to prepare ourselves for the real possibility of a more expensive/less powerful PS5. I'm not going to dogpile the dude, but he has said some eyebrow raising things before, so the skeptics aren't entirely nuts. They should just be skeptical without being an ass about it.

This is why I generally suggest taking "opinions and rumors" with bathtub loads of salt, and in this particular case, understand that game development is game development. I read nothing unique about a console struggling early on with RE: Village (especially as a student of Game Design and knowing the ins and outs of how these things are cooked, what recipes work/don't work, and how long it can take to make sure that blue shirt has just enough creases ironed out).

Last edited:

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018

They're developing a game for nine platforms. This is not where they're gonna squeeze extra juice out of each one, this is where they will just get it running acceptably to get it out the door. They don't have time to optimize every little thing for:
- Xbox One
- PS4
- Xbox One X
- PS4 Pro
- Xbox Series S
- Xbox Series X
- PS5
- PC
- Stadia

They need to focus on getting it running acceptably (or in the base consoles' case, running at all, lol) for these platforms. So far, they have succeeded.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

what does ac unit yhave to do with this?

that game was a complete mess and ran at ~22 fps avg on both the X1 and PS4 at launch lmao.

it actually ran BETTER on the x1 because of the slightly faster cpu.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

Yeah, not sure if people are being disingenuous or legitimately have terrible memory, as this all took place less than a year ago.

That person has made so many incorrect claims in the past (which ended up contributing to a significant increase in the toxic discourse regarding the new consoles), that I can't comprehend why anyone would still take them seriously.

Even when trying to amend their previous false statements, they were still lying about knowing trade secrets, by saying that people "should get ready for the really real possibility that the PS5 is going to end up being the more expensive console between the two"; doubling down on that, asking to "prepare yourself", as the information they were allegedly asked not to share put the SX "in a position it'll be the less expensive and more powerful console" (source); still willing to die on that hill a month later, claiming that the PS5 cost $600 to produce - several months after the fact Bloomberg, an actual reputable outlet, had reported on the manufacturing costs being around $450; claiming to have "heard from other devs that PS5 struggles with 4K games in particular", so we'd see "a lot of fake 4K", and that the SX "doesn't have the same problem" (all in the same tweet). Not to mention the whole debacle surrounding their reasoning for "passing along anecdotal statements", which, to the "best" of their "knowledge", would "turn out to be true" (as seen here). According to them, the reason they shared incorrect information initially was because they "felt things were too sided despite knowing some accounts of what was about to happen".

Then again, people who are supposed to be serious journalists and work for big, traditional media outlets are still claiming, to this day, that the PS5 hardware doesn't support the "full" RDNA 2 architecture (despite what has always been clearly stated on AMD's own website), confusing trademarked marketing buzzwords for platform-specific APIs with the actual feature sets. Those same people also made incorrect assumptions in the past, based on spec sheets and "common sense", boasting about teraflops (historically, not a great metric for performance), as if raw power always translates into higher resolutions and better FPS, no matter what.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Nice! It is always good to see the new consoles showing solid performances, with almost nonexistent differences between them.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Vg Tech uploaded their results for Xbox one and Xbox one X.

4K checkerboard unlocked on the One X or 1080p 60

Xbox one is 900p checkerboard the frame rate is unlocked and never close to 60 fps.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not sure if people are being disingenuous or legitimately have terrible memory, as this all took place less than a year ago.

That person has made so many incorrect claims in the past (which ended up contributing to a significant increase in the toxic discourse regarding the new consoles), that I can't comprehend why anyone would still take them seriously.

Even when trying to amend their previous false statements, they were still lying about knowing trade secrets, by saying that people "should get ready for the really real possibility that the PS5 is going to end up being the more expensive console between the two"; doubling down on that, asking to "prepare yourself", as the information they were allegedly asked not to share put the SX "in a position it'll be the less expensive and more powerful console" (source); still willing to die on that hill a month later, claiming that the PS5 cost $600 to produce - several months after the fact Bloomberg, an actual reputable outlet, had reported on the manufacturing costs being around $450; claiming to have "heard from other devs that PS5 struggles with 4K games in particular", so we'd see "a lot of fake 4K", and that the SX "doesn't have the same problem" (all in the same tweet). Not to mention the whole debacle surrounding their reasoning for "passing along anecdotal statements", which, to the "best" of their "knowledge", would "turn out to be true" (as seen here). According to them, the reason they shared incorrect information initially was because they "felt things were too sided despite knowing some accounts of what was about to happen".

Then again, people who are supposed to be serious journalists and work for big, traditional media outlets are still claiming, to this day, that the PS5 hardware doesn't support the "full" RDNA 2 architecture (despite what has always been clearly stated on AMD's own website), confusing trademarked marketing buzzwords for platform-specific APIs with the actual feature sets. Those same people also made incorrect assumptions in the past, based on spec sheets and "common sense", boasting about teraflops (historically, not a great metric for performance), as if raw power always translates into higher resolutions and better FPS, no matter what.
Whelp
giphy.gif

Always use grains of salt, but moreso for some "insiders" than others.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like they did a great job with the Xbox One X performance mode. I think that's commendable.

Confession: I didn't watch the entire video, though. I only watched the first minute then skimmed ahead to the part with the tall grass then had it playing a 2X speed (occasionally pressing the right arrow on my keyboard a couple times ). Hopefully the full game holds up like the demo (similar to how I feel about other platforms too, I guess). Even High Res mode looks alright in that castle area, but nothing's going on. I'd like to have seen it when they were in that dungeon area.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Now these are receipts.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Oof, those One S stats and that's at 900p. Wonder is they should have lowered it to 720p or just slapped a 30fps cap on it.
At 900p checkerboard it's rendering less than native 720p, but maybe it's a similar performance hit, but with slightly better IQ. But yeah a lock to 30 would be a good option on all lastgen systems.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean. This is possibly LITERALLY true, in some ways. Games early in development aren't polished and have all sorts of problems. Optimization often comes right at the end of the process. Are there parts of God of War Ragnorak that look like crap and run poorly, even now? Yea, I wouldn't be surprised. Doesn't mean other parts of the game don't look and run great, nor that the vast majority of the game has any issues at all, nor that any of those problem areas will persist into retail release.

There was never really anything extraordinary about what Dusk said lol.
Which is why sharing that bit of information to balance out the news cycle was completely stupid.
Because we know GOW2 isn't going to be 1080p 30 fps on PS5 when it releases.

Unless you're a technical developer who wants the public to know about the development tools, system power, etc, it's not useful information. Talking about a game's current state as a snapshot in time tells us nothing if you don't have technical knowledge. This stuff is the norm.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Can't watch the video as I'm going as blind as possible into the game. Anyone can tell me if it's locked 60fps with RT at 1080p on PS5? I don't have a 4k display, but locked 60fps is my absolute priority in term of option.

Oct 30, 2017
Can't watch the video as I'm going as blind as possible into the game. Anyone can tell me if it's locked 60fps with RT at 1080p on PS5? I don't have a 4k display, but locked 60fps is my absolute priority in term of option.
It's 4k Checkboarding and it's close to 60 fps but not locked. The framerate average is still above 59 fps but the game has dips with RT.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

my dude variable rate shading is not a marketing buzz word or platform specific api as I know you're gonna say geometry engine is the same thing. In fact, variable rate shading existed as an extension available under Nvidia hardware available under Vulcan and DX12 as extensions before DX12U.

www.khronos.org

Khronos Vulkan Working Group Releases Shading Rate Extension to Increase Rendering Performance and Quality

The Vulkan Working Group has just released the VK_KHR_fragment_shading_rate extension, which provides a new, flexible technique to control the fragment shading rate, enabling developers to perform shading at a lower resolution than the render targets. This fine level of control allows developers...

same goes for mesh shaders

PS5 doesn't tout these features cause it doesn't have them though geometry engine is roughly the same as mesh shaders.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
It's not 1080p on PS5
It's 4k Checkboarding and it's close to 60 fps but not locked. The framerate average is still above 59 fps but the game has dips with RT.
Checkerboard 4K and holds 60fps over 99% of the time.
Thanks!
I don't really know what checkerboard means, I suppose it's some kind of optimized 4k? But looks like the rare dips under 60 won't be a dealbreaker! Can't wait for friday!

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
User warned: Platform wars
Even when trying to amend their previous false statements, they were still lying about knowing trade secrets, by saying that people "should get ready for the really real possibility that the PS5 is going to end up being the more expensive console between the two"; doubling down on that, asking to "prepare yourself"
This was absolutely a real possibility, and very likely why during the full PS5 reveal they just had the price graphic and Jim Ryan saying a canned "Well there it is!" and going on about it instead of ever saying the price, so he didn't have to record a bunch of takes of different prices. It stood out as very odd in the presentation.

claiming to have "heard from other devs that PS5 struggles with 4K games in particular", so we'd see "a lot of fake 4K", and that the SX "doesn't have the same problem" (all in the same tweet).
Many games do use checkerboard 4k though... like, a LOT of games. Hell, the two big PS5 exclusives currently on the console (Demon's Souls and Returnal) run at 4k/30 | 1440p/60 and... 1080p, temporally reconstructed to 1440p, then checkerboarded to 4k/60. We're in the post-resolution era now, as Digital Foundry said. Just because they're having issues hitting native 4k at stable or high framerates does NOT mean that's a bad thing. Dusk wasn't insulting the console, he was just stating a reality that we're now seeing with our own eyes.

According to them, the reason they shared incorrect information initially was because they "felt things were too sided despite knowing some accounts of what was about to happen".
It was information he believed to be correct, and honestly... things were one-sided here for a while. It's called SonyEra for a reason, lol.

Oct 30, 2017
This was absolutely a real possibility, and very likely why during the full PS5 reveal they just had the price graphic and Jim Ryan saying a canned "Well there it is!" and going on about it instead of ever saying the price, so he didn't have to record a bunch of takes of different prices. It stood out as very odd in the presentation.

Many games do use checkerboard 4k though... like, a LOT of games. Hell, the two big PS5 exclusives currently on the console (Demon's Souls and Returnal) run at 4k/30 | 1440p/60 and... 1080p, temporally reconstructed to 1440p, then checkerboarded to 4k/60. We're in the post-resolution era now, as Digital Foundry said. Just because they're having issues hitting native 4k at stable or high framerates does NOT mean that's a bad thing. Dusk wasn't insulting the console, he was just stating a reality that we're now seeing with our own eyes.

It was information he believed to be correct, and honestly... things were one-sided here for a while. It's called SonyEra for a reason, lol.
You're reaching.

The guy wasn't right on the price. The BOM estimate doesn't appear true.
The PS5 is not unique with 4k not being the norm. We've got tons of games that aren't doing 4k native on SX.

and eyeroll at the Sony era thing. The Xbox has enormous goodwill on this forum. It's earned. Dropping news about a game early in development to balance out the news cycle is just nonsense.

"The Xbox had some less than favorable news so let me leak information about a game I'm not working on that's a year away to try to even things out. Nevermind that this snapshot in time is not representative of the final product and I have no context as to why this information might be true. But I'm just going to say it"

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
my dude variable rate shading is not a marketing buzz word or platform specific api as I know you're gonna say geometry engine is the same thing.

same goes for mesh shaders

My point is that you can have similar feature sets with different names.

The PS5 doesn't support "DirectX Raytracing" or "DirectStorage", as those are specifically tied to the DirectX set of APIs, which, in turn, is exclusive to platforms running Microsoft's operating systems. Still, the PS5 hardware is obviously capable of real-time ray-tracing and has its own GPU orientated file I/O API. Even features that are not yet present can be added later, via updates, just like Khronos is doing with Vulkan.

Regarding the Geometry Engine, the only explanation given about it in any official capacity, so far, has been during Mark Cerny's tech deep dive, early last year. Here's Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter interpretation of it:

On a features level, Cerny reveals features that suggest parity with other upcoming AMD and AMD-derived products based on the RDNA 2 technology. A new block known as the Geometry Engine offers developers unparalleled control over triangles and other primitives, and easy optimisation for geometry culling. Functionality extends to the creation of 'primitive shaders' which sounds very similar to the mesh shaders found in Nvidia Turing and upcoming RDNA 2 GPUs.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

I'd like to report a murder.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Just because they're having issues hitting native 4k at stable or high framerates does NOT mean that's a bad thing. Dusk wasn't insulting the console, he was just stating a reality that we're now seeing with our own eyes.

yeah that goes for series x as well.

he was clearly saying
that series x has no issues at4k while ps5 struggles.
when anyone with a bit of logic could see from mile away both of these machines will rarely hit native4k throughout the gen.

Jun 23, 2019

Hot damn.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Straight up murder.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

you sir, should be banned for bloodlust LOL

score01

Oct 27, 2017
he was clearly saying
that series x has no issues at4k while ps5 struggles.

Given what we know about the 'tools' fiasco it makes it even more hilarious in hindsight.

Seeing as the SX is dipping at the same points as the PS5 (with PS5 dipping a bit more) im not sure what peoples issues are? It hardly looks like there is performance left on the table.