Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a Dallas Morning News article about the Vic case, the Dallas Morning News even interviewed Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi:

On Feb. 19, Rial tweeted a lengthy post in which she alleged that Vic grabbed her in a hotel room and forcibly kissed her without her consent at an anime convention in 2007.

Rial said that she decided to go public with her account of Mignogna's actions "to put a face to the voices."

"There were so many stories out there, but because they were these faceless voices on the internet, nobody wanted to believe them," Rial said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News on July 24.

Rial, who has lived in the Dallas area for about a decade, and Marchi, a North Texas resident for 15 years, talked in the July 24 interview about the relentless harassment from Mignogna's fans. Marchi said, "It's been really hard. But I would do it again."

"The greater good was way more important than either one of us in this," she said. "I'm standing up for so many women and victims who feel like they can't say anything."

Rial and Marchi each recounted examples of the backlash since they released their stories on social media: the posting of private information and harassment online and in phone calls, efforts to have the women fired or banned from fan events, and a barrage of death threats.

Marchi said that staff at conventions and studios tell her that they "are constantly getting harassing emails about us. Even our friends or colleagues we've simply done a panel discussion with — they are doxing those people and making it very known ... that they will get the same treatment we are."

Rial's allegations about the verbal abuse against her in the past six months were similar to Marchi's, and she, too, was steadfast about her actions.

"With everything I've been through — the death threats, the hatred, the trying to ruin my career, trying to get me fired because I came out and told the truth," Rial said. "That is worth it if it saves one woman, one girl from having to deal with this kind of situation again."

Both women also said they were thankful to be in this together. "We know this is going to be awful and who knows how long it's going to be this awful," Rial said. "But as long as we've got each other, and we're standing together strong, let's get the truth out there."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Great article. Pretty damn scary. What are the sad/rabid puppies mentioned at the beginning of the article? Never heard of them before.
Never heard of them either. The Wikipedia article says they're a sci fi group made trying to bully nonwhites out of awards. The article is also almost completely dedicated to how they're huge failures. So that's reassuring at least.

It was made by some bald white dude trying to give his own novel an award, which just reminds me about a libertarian alternate history author who made an award just so he could give it to himself.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Article about how the stans are handling stuff this came out today.

https://www.themarysue.com/alt-right-fandom-doxxing-harassment/

I've been meaning to ask what, exactly, drew the ire of ISWV towards you for some time. Obviously there's the misogyny factor, but according to this, it was just you casually tossing out a hashtag?

Regardless, the conspiracy theories in the comments are fun times!

"MarzGurl, a lesser known VA, was also known to be jealous of Vic's much greater success and this could well have prompted her to make false accusations against him."

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Great article. Pretty damn scary. What are the sad/rabid puppies mentioned at the beginning of the article? Never heard of them before.

A few years ago, noted Internet idiot and white supremacist Ted Beale (aka Vox Day) decided the amount of non-white people winning Hugo awards for fiction was too damn high, and tried to game the Hugo award system in favor of horrid white nazi authors. There were two groups working on that, called the Sad Puppies and the Rabid Puppies.

They were actually successful in 2015, gaming the voting process to the point where they won every category except for Best Film. In response, the Hugo committee changed every category's winner to "No Award". In 2016 they only won two categories (also "No Award"ed), and they faded into obscurity.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to ask what, exactly, drew the ire of ISWV towards you for some time. Obviously there's the misogyny factor, but according to this, it was just you casually tossing out a hashtag?

Just go check the first post in this thread, lol

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
A few years ago, noted Internet idiot and white supremacist Ted Beale (aka Vox Day) decided the amount of non-white people winning Hugo awards for fiction was too damn high, and tried to game the Hugo award system in favor of horrid white nazi authors. There were two groups working on that, called the Sad Puppies and the Rabid Puppies.

They were actually successful in 2015, gaming the voting process to the point where they won every category except for Best Film. In response, the Hugo committee changed every category's winner to "No Award". In 2016 they only won two categories (also "No Award"ed), and they faded into obscurity.

Oh I think I remember hearing about that, didn't know those were what they were called though. Thanks.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if this has any lessons for everybody as we enter the gaming indie free for all #metoo that is currently occurring

Eraser Head

Aug 22, 2019
Oregon

Oh I think I remember hearing about that, didn't know those were what they were called though. Thanks.

Beale is also apart of comicsgate as well, having created a comic alongside an industry veteran who has also gone over to the dark side, Chuck Dixon. However, his project is so far to my knowledge the only comicsgate project that Indiegogo has shut down (granted it was part two of the project).

He's also said and done far worse than the sad/rabid puppies as this article explains:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Theodore_Beale

Also here's a video by Kevin Logan that dives further into his bigotry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rNhFUWWKQs

Killer Tofu

Feb 18, 2019
Suddenly the Vic Stans and Screech act like they give a shit about Monica's well-being after sending her death threats and harassment is absolutely disgusting. I saw a video someone posted of a snippet of the stream. ((Sorry I'm linking I terrible at this message board stuff.)) I mean it's transparent as hell, they suddenly want to support her only to sabotage Ron and give Vic a win, which has nothing to do with Vic's case. It's so gross how they discredit anyone coming out with Vic stories of abuse or harassment but now they act like they care and want to support her (and Ron's ex wife) but only if it's her husband abusing/harassing her, which he isn't. I'm glad she has those tools blocked. Sorry I'm so angry but have nowhere else to vent except here.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Suddenly the Vic Stans and Screech act like they give a shit about Monica's well-being after sending her death threats and harassment is absolutely disgusting. I saw a video someone posted of a snippet of the stream. ((Sorry I'm linking I terrible at this message board stuff.)) I mean it's transparent as hell, they suddenly want to support her only to sabotage Ron and give Vic a win, which has nothing to do with Vic's case. It's so gross how they discredit anyone coming out with Vic stories of abuse or harassment but now they act like they care and want to support her (and Ron's ex wife) but only if it's her husband abusing/harassing her, which he isn't. I'm glad she has those tools blocked. Sorry I'm so angry but have nowhere else to vent except here.

If it's any consolation there's no fucking way anybody is failing to see through what these assholes are trying to do. It's the weird, moldy cherry on top of the whole shit sundae of stupid they've been serving up since this whole matter became public

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA

Yeah, in my mind, what I was doing was pretty casual, just to connect stories from various people so that it didn't get lost. It wasn't some intention to start, like, a movement. Can't deny that's kinda what ended up happening, though.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of Puppies, it's worth noting it's a far more complex issue than is presented here. I'm not accusing anyone of being intentionally reductionist, but it's worth reading on the subject. The lists didn't just push white neo nazi authors/works. A number of authors wanted nothing to do with it, asked to be removed, and weren't. Neil Gaiman was one of the puppies noms at one point for God's sake.

Vox Day in particular is unrepentant human trash without a doubt, but be careful when assigning ethical/moral malfeasance if you hear someone popped up on a Puppies slate.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Puppies, it's worth noting it's a far more complex issue than is presented here. I'm not accusing anyone of being intentionally reductionist, but it's worth reading on the subject. The lists didn't just push white neo nazi authors/works. A number of authors wanted nothing to do with it, asked to be removed, and weren't. Neil Gaiman was one of the puppies noms at one point for God's sake.

Vox Day in particular is unrepentant human trash without a doubt, but be careful when assigning ethical/moral malfeasance if you hear someone popped up on a Puppies slate.

No one really suggested otherwise. The entire point originally was to push Correia's own works.

The fact theh also voted for other white people doesn't change the fact posters here are correct, the movement was started to push horrible right wing works.

If anyone looks into it enough to know the slates, they will veey likely know the reactions of the authors behind the works that appear there.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one really suggested otherwise. The entire point originally was to push Correia's own works.

The fact theh also voted for other white people doesn't change the fact posters here are correct, the movement was started to push horrible right wing works.

If anyone looks into it enough to know the slates, they will veey likely know the reactions of the authors behind the works that appear there.

I honestly don't know what your problem here is.

I was pretty clear I wasn't accusing anyone of here of anything. Of course it doesn't change the facts or negate anything anyone said here. It wasn't supposed to. Do you think I'm defending the movement somehow? It reads like you do but I honestly don't know how you could extract that from what I wrote.

It's easy to see how someone could read a general statement that voting slates were created to push racist works and make the assumption that anything ending up on those slates were placed there for that reason, without ever reading more about the issue. I was saying "hey here's a good reason to read more on the subject". That's it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know what your problem here is.

I was pretty clear I wasn't accusing anyone of here of anything. Of course it doesn't change the facts or negate anything anyone said here. It wasn't supposed to. Do you think I'm defending the movement somehow? It reads like you do but I honestly don't know how you could extract that from what I wrote.

It's easy to see how someone could read a general statement that voting slates were created to push racist works and make the assumption that anything ending up on those slates were placed there for that reason, without ever reading more about the issue. I was saying "hey here's a good reason to read more on the subject". That's it.
No idea why you got defensive, wasn't an accusation or commentary on motivations.

Your post wasn't necessary, imo, that's it.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No idea why you got defensive, wasn't an accusation or commentary on motivations.

Your post wasn't necessary, imo, that's it.

I got defensive because it read like you were in passive aggressive attack mode. You made arguments "against" me that didn't even have anything to do with what I said. You said my post didn't change the fact that what was said about the Puppies was correct, as if that was in fact what I was trying to say. That's usually a tactic of bad actors.

As far as whether or not the post was "necessary"... that's a weak criticism and one I'll just respectfully disagree with.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I got defensive because it read like you were in passive aggressive attack mode. You made arguments "against" me that didn't even have anything to do with what I said. You said my post didn't change the fact that what was said about the Puppies was correct, as if that was in fact what I was trying to say. That's usually a tactic of bad actors.

As far as whether or not the post was "necessary"... that's a weak criticism and one I'll just respectfully disagree with.
No, you read it that way.

It's not a criticism as much as it's a conversation, one you have become needlessly defensive about.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned you are trying to spin it that way. I've said what I have to say and we've added too much noise to an otherwise important topic, so I'm leaving it there.
There is no spin, I found your post unnecessary as explained. This is an open forum for discussion and you raised the subject, sorry you are stunned by that.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh! Ooh! New stuff coming soon!

He will link once Shane has put it on his gdrive with the rest of them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
astro Faiz
Just looking at the post above, your argument looks like it spawned from the statement that Sad Puppies "tried to game the Hugo award system in favor of horrid white nazi authors", which makes it sound like the actual individual authors chosen are problematic as opposed to having an overall problematic all-white all-male agenda.

Ooh! Ooh! New stuff coming soon!

He will link once Shane has put it on his gdrive with the rest of them.

Now, I'm reading a lot into one sentence, but my heart is saying that we're going to see Beard being extremely smug about a nonsensical motion while avoiding the defense's polite advice.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
astro Faiz
Just looking at the post above, your argument looks like it spawned from the statement that Sad Puppies "tried to game the Hugo award system in favor of horrid white nazi authors", which makes it sound like the actual individual authors chosen are problematic as opposed to having an overall problematic all-white all-male agenda.
It doesn't read like that imo.

They did try to game the system in favour of that, that's how it started. They voted for other white authors because they were not poc.

Edit: off topic or not, I think it was an okay conversation to have. If we want to talk about it further though maybe we should PM

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

Title of the filing?

"RESPONSE TO 'PLAINTIFF'S MOTION TO STRIKE OR DISREGARD DEFENDANTS' LATE FILINGS'"

So this is gonna be gooooooooooooooooooooood.

EDIT: Confirmed, it's a murder.

EDJ3gh_XsAAsCaw.jpg:large

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, they actually bring up the "actual malice" definition in the filing. This is hilarious.

EDIT: And then this acid burn a couple pages later:

The sisters shared this humiliating experience with Sony, Ms. Rial, and Mr. Toye.12
Plaintiff may well attempt to deny the sisters were ever in his hotel room, and risk perjury by doing
so. But absent evidence the twins recanted to Funimation/Sony, Ms. Rial, and Mr. Toye, Plaintiff
cannot establish negligence, much less actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth in relation
to Defendants' allegedly defamatory comments about the investigation. See Lane, 544 S.W.3d at

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

The best part about that entire debacle was that they ended up gaming the system to get someone an award--Chuck Tingle, author of works including:

-Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt
-Pounded in the Butt by My Book 'Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt'
-Pounded in the Butt by My Book 'Pounded in the Butt by My Book 'Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt''
-Space Raptor Butt Invasion

They did it to make the awards seem like a huge crock of shit, but Chuck Tingle wasn't here for that. Part of the reason was that most of his works are somewhat satirical and political... but since half the ridiculousness of his works rely on readers not actually knowing who he is, he decided to announce that, should he win the award, he would send someone to accept it on his behalf.

Zoe Quinn.

He then managed to get the web domain the Puppies forgot to register, and used it to drive traffic to Quinn's book, as well as NK Jemisin's nominated novel that year and an LGBTQIA charity, as well as his local library. Basically, he trolled the trolls, and it was great.

As someone with several of his poster prints, seeing Tim Doyle mentioned as a voice calling out comicsgate makes me happy.

Tim's been doing it for quite a while! That's actually how I found him. :)

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd forgotten how much of a Big Damn Hero(tm) Chuck Tingle was in the sordid Sad Puppies affair. Truly an inspiration to us all.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What shocks me most about Exhibit A of this new filing is that Ty still seems to think he's somehow intimidating to Mr Lemoine.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
What shocks me most about Exhibit A of this new filing is that Ty still seems to think he's somehow intimidating to Mr Lemoine.

Bluster and bravado is all Ty's got. It's been painfully obvious from the start that he's in way over his head.

EDIT: There's something to be said about having a berserker horde of screaming rabid alt-right feeeeeeeeeeeeemale haters right behind you, egging you on. I would bet that there is a modicum of self-preservation working here as well, seeing as how the Vicstans would absolutely tear Ty apart if he ditched them now.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A comment I bit my tongue on earlier making earlier is that Ty Beard is the only one of Team Vic who I can imagine not being aware that he's an awful human being. Not because I think he's redeemable or has any innocent intentions whatsoever, but because he's proven to be so consistently and cartoonishly stupid that I can conceive that he might not have thought things out that far.

Hell, I haven't bothered looking at the actual filing yet, I just went straight to the e-mail chain because I was confident that Beard would be making an ass of himself there.

To quote the great war gamer Sun Tzu,
"Noted."

Sean, if you're reading this thread, I sincerely thank you for this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This trial continues to be a mess.
BTW how much worst it could had been if Vic had no lawyer?
Depends on what you mean.
If you mean he represented himself?
He'd be even more fucked. At least Beard has a cursory understanding of the law even if he clearly knows shit about defamation. Vic seemed to buy hook line and sinker that suing anyone could somehow magically get him his jobs and con appearances back.

If you mean he never lawyered up and just slunk off? He'd be a LOT fucking better off in the public eye, I'll tell you that much. Of course, he has more supporters now than if he just slunk off thanks to CG grifters, but as a result the same amount of people who joined to support him are now equaled by those rallying against him.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Whoof, that Funimation brief. No fire, just cold iron bar mace hitting you over and over and over again.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A comment I bit my tongue on earlier making earlier is that Ty Beard is the only one of Team Vic who I can imagine not being aware that he's an awful human being. Not because I think he's redeemable or has any innocent intentions whatsoever, but because he's proven to be so consistently and cartoonishly stupid that I can conceive that he might not have thought things out that far.

Hell, I haven't bothered looking at the actual filing yet, I just went straight to the e-mail chain because I was confident that Beard would be making an ass of himself there.

Sean, if you're reading this thread, I sincerely thank you for this.
Yeah he ssems to be getting high off his own supply and forgetting this is a grift