• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
When the PS5 first launched, I forget which game, but there would tips but you barely had time to read part of it. I'm guessing the devs back then just wanted to make sure they made launch and couldn't worry about that when they noticed it lol.
Ah, I didn't know that, that sounds funny, lol.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Demo loading is LONG on my Sata 870 EVO. Normally fine and it was fine for the most part but it was definately long compared to other recent games.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Continuing a game on PS5 is .31s from the DF vid. Wonder if anyone can time how fast PC does it from this gif.
Gfycat lets you advance slowly and see the time. First black frame is at 20.14, first gameplay frame is at 20.34, so 0.2s.

I replicated that same loading in the same area on PS5. First black frame is at 23.59, first gameplay frame is at 23:75, so 0.16s, so ever so slightly faster but basically even.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gfycat lets you advance slowly and see the time. First black frame is at 20.14, first gameplay frame is at 20.34, so 0.2s.

I replicated that same loading in the same area on PS5. First black frame is at 23.59, first gameplay frame is at 23:75, so 0.16s, so ever so slightly faster but basically even.
Sheeeeeesh and future games will probably get even faster on consoles and PC. So good

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Not sure if i'm thinking of this correctly. Don't the files have to be formatted for Direct Storage use? How is Forspoken/Steam handling this?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like these things get less impressive as the console generation progresses (or even starting on the PS4 with Ghost of Tsushima!).
It's basically on par with the PS5 version without Direct Storage so I'mwondering how much of it can be attributed to the tech. It's pretty clear the game itself has impressive loading times on both platforms.

Don't get me wrong. Not trying to shit on it. I just feel like with NVMEs these days we're already ruined in this regard. At some point this stuff can't get any noticeably quicker and with sub 0.2s loading times we might already be there.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Since the game world is already loaded once in the main menu, is it possible to skip all intro videos or they are there to "hide" the initial loading?

edit: nevermind, just saw the latest posts :'D

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like these things get less impressive as the console generation progresses (or even starting on the PS4 with Ghost of Tsushima!).
It's basically on par with the PS5 version without Direct Storage so I'mwondering how much of it can be attributed to the tech. It's pretty clear the game itself has impressive loading times on both platforms.

Don't get me wrong. Not trying to shit on it. I just feel like with NVMEs these days we're already ruined in this regard. At some point this stuff can't get any noticeably quicker and with sub 0.2s loading times we might already be there.

Ghost and a game like DriveClub (2014 release date), have incredibly quick loading times... but I think that has more to do with the development choices and resources (1st Party money). Those are not the norm right?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, with pci-e 4 (maybe even 3) it will be interesting to see these fast speeds with even more dense and visually complicated games than Forspoken.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Ghost and a game like DriveClub (2014 release date), have incredibly quick loading times... but I think that has more to do with the development choices and resources (1st Party money). Those are not the norm right?
Not the norm back then, but with the twch in current gen consoles it has become far easier and cheaper to achieve similar results.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Sony introduced system software support for skipping boot flow screens after the first boot, so most games skip unnecessary splash screens on subsequent boots on Consoles but keep them on PC
Woah, you're saying if I play Spider-Man or Ragnarok and then fully close the app, it will skip those screens next time I play that game?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
What's nice is that was a gen 3 drive so a good indicator of how good loading would be on Xbox if it was on Xbox

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Woah, you're saying if I play Spider-Man or Ragnarok and then fully close the app, it will skip those screens next time I play that game?
That is functionality that can be used by games on PS5 yes, but I don't know if those 2 titles specifically make use of it.

Think of the PS5 Activity Cards feature where some can take you directly into a specific aspect of the game (Mode or Location). When doing so presumably the intent is that it won't spend another 10sec showing you Splash Screens for the Boot Sequence all over again but instead bring you (mostly) straight in-game.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
That is functionality that can be used by games on PS5 yes, but I don't know if those 2 titles specifically make use of it.

Think of the PS5 Activity Cards feature where some can take you directly into a specific aspect of the game (Mode or Location). When doing so presumably the intent is that it won't spend another 10sec showing you Splash Screens for the Boot Sequence all over again but instead bring you (mostly) straight in-game.
Yeah another user had mentioned activity cards too, which I always forget exist. Sounds like you're talking even outside of activity cards, which is really cool. I'd never noticed, but I also usually just play one single player game at a time so it's usually suspended the whole time. Cool though.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's impressive, but it's completely useless to me when you still have logos and menu interaction. Once there's an option to instantly jump in where you left off, that'll truly be a game changer.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Demo loading is LONG on my Sata 870 EVO. Normally fine and it was fine for the most part but it was definately long compared to other recent games.
That drive is rated at 560 MB/s, and I think DirectStorage was optimized for NVMe drives so I don't know if it'll have much of an effect on SATA drives. I used a Gen 3 NVMe drive that's rated at around 3,500 MB/s and the load times were instant. Crazy times.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
sounds neat, can't wait for more games to take advantage of this. Love game startup and load times on my PS5, haven't really played a "huge" game on my PC (with gen4 nvme) really but older games still feel a little slow when loading.

Hope DF or someone does an analysis and comparison on Direct Storage vs not, gen 3 vs gen 4 vs gen 5 drives, drive speeds, etc so we can see numbers.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Good to see more instant games this gen, I remember booting up RE8 and it fading to black instead of a loading screen like other platforms and it clocked in at like 0.9s lmao, Tsushima is also obviously almost instant, but my biggest surprise this gen was Sonic Frontiers, it's so fast the first time I did it I had to turn the camera around because I thought the game had not recognized the input.
I'm curious to see how this technology evolves on PC as games get more intensive, I expect incredible stuff for sure.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this in action for myself, there's an argument to be made for every game going forward to take advantage of DirectStorage in some capacity, but I know that's way too much to ask for..