• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Real OP creator is Anton Sugar

Welcome to the Resetera video production and filmmaking thread! This is a place for all filmmakers/video producers to come together, discuss their projects, techniques, and gear, as well as show off their work!

Huge thanks to weemadarthur for posting this OT! Once I (Anton Sugar) reach member status, I'll be sure to give it regular updates.

So you wanna make videos?

Tight.

Where do you start? There are a million different places you could go from here. Film school really used to be the recommended, if not only, option for this (with a few exceptions). However, with the power of the internet, knowledge is much easier to find outside of a paid institution. Is film school still valuable?
  • Study what you love: watch your favorite movies. Pick out a specific sequence and reverse-engineer/break it down. What shots were chosen? When does the camera move and when is it still? What does the camera focus on and how was it framed? And then, try to understand why these choices were made. Many video essays online do this exact thing, but you should do it in your own free time. Understanding why a sequence or movie is effective is important, not just how they did it.
  • Read scripts of your favorite movies. Again, this just helps you understand the process. Did the idea for that shot originate in the script, or somewhere else? Did you find the script of your favorite movie to be bland, possibly hinting that the magic was found elsewhere?
  • Find people to work with. This is the primary advantage that film school has: a built in community! Without that, it can be hard to not only get work/experience, but to make connections and find a good group to work with. Most cities in the US have filmmaking groups or meetups on regular schedules. You can find these on Meetup.com, Facebook, craigslist, your local school/university's site, etc. I think it's incredibly important to find a crew that you like working with. Not only is it good for keeping you encouraged, but you can regularly get feedback on your own work, find people to learn from, and always learn something new.
  • Don't fret too much on gear. Plenty of amazing work has come out of "shitty" cameras. I've seen lots of crap that was shot on beautiful cameras, too. All this 4k, 6k, 8k, etc. resolution chasing is just noise to you at this point. You don't need 4k, you don't need RAW (many features are shot in ProRes or similar codecs), you don't need blah blah blah. Yes, eventually you will realize "Camera A has been working great but it's not doing what I need, so I need to upgrade" but you have to first know what you're trying to accomplish and you can only do that by...
  • Just do it: go shoot stuff, dammit. It's cliche, but getting out there and rolling is the only way you can learn. Shooting something by yourself and editing it in your bedroom is better than nothing. The absolute most important thing you can do is learn something, take something away, from every shoot. Make notes after every shoot if you need to (I do) on what worked, what didn't, what was a bad or good idea, how to improve or save time, who not to work with, etc. Otherwise you're going to repeat the same crap over and over again. Which brings me to...
  • Get critiqued. This is scarier, especially for people who haven't been in school for a while and aren't used to receiving feedback on a regular basis. Don't just solicit information from your friends, who may be scared to hurt your feelings. Shit, you can even find online groups, where you are essentially anonymous, to take a look at your work. You won't get better with a critical eye.
Resources

General video production/filmmaking
  • The Slanted Lens is a fun review and DIY site for low-mid budget filmmakers. A lot of this is very basic stuff and, TBH, sometimes the examples of the shots they end up creating look pretty bad BUT it seems to be more based on their aesthetic choices (everything looks very "studio"/fake) rather than technical know-how. They also get grip/lighting/camera people from the industry to chime in every so often.
  • wolfcrow does a little bit of everything: cinematography video essays, business instruction and recommendation, in-depth camera reviews and analysis, and color grading tutorials. I love his technical approach to his analyses and he has some solid business advice for low-mid budget cinematographers.
  • Basic Filmmaker is a channel I honestly haven't spent much time with, but have heard good things about. Looks like it has a TON of content for those new to filmmaking and video production.
Gear
  • DSLR Video Shooter is run by Caleb Pike and could be considered one of the online cornerstones for beginner/DIY filmmaking. Tons of helpful tutorials and guides (often marked by certain price points to help you out), low cost advice, and reviews. He covers cameras, lights, lenses, specific setups, and more.
  • Aputure has been making waves in the low budget filmmaking scene the past few years. Their LED lights are high-quality, affordable, and just get better every year. Their COB120 line gives 6-750w of output while only using 120w of power. Released just this quarter, their COB300 gives 1kw(!) output using only 300w of power--and this isn't to mention all of their other LED lights, modifiers, etc. Their Youtube channel has some good starter clips, too.
Cinematography
  • Cinematography Database offers solid insight from a mid-level DP who specializes in music videos. The fun thing is going back through his older videos where he talks about just getting started and really how to create your own brand. In addition, there are lots of fun breakdowns and analysis of cinematography in popular movies and music videos.
  • American Cinematographer magazine is one of my all-time favorite filmmaking resources. This is the pros: interviews and details for your favorite movies and shows. They talk to DPs, gaffers, grips, directors, colorists, and more for each article. I absolutely love learning about specific lenses, filters, lights, etc. that were used on these sets. If you are just starting out, some of it may be over your head, but regardless, knowing what the pros use on their sets really helps you understand, relatively, what is possible at your own level in terms of planning and budget. Plus, they actually recently added a sorta "beginning filmmaker" section to every issue, broadening their scope even more.
  • Roger Deakinshas his own website and is extremely active in the forums. You can literally post/ask a question to one of the greatest cinematographers/DPs of our time and he will provide candid responses. The site also occasionally shows diagrams from his actual lighting breakdowns for feature films. I fucking love this site.
  • Cooke Optics TV is the official channel of the one and only Cooke lenses company! They have a number of great video essays and tutorials from professional gaffers, DPs, etc. who are currently working in the industry at a high level.
Editing
  • Vashi Visuals focuses primarily on editing through its uses of video essays and articles. These include a lot of supercuts and workflow breakdowns--really good stuff. You may recognize his name from some of his more famous video essays via his Vimeo channel, with popular videos on Fury Road and others.
Color grading
  • Juan Melara might be the most precise and knowledgeable color grading resource I've found online so far. He has a thorough knowledge of color space, science, and node use in DaVinci Resolve. Unlike many other Youtube "colorists", he rarely falls to the common online guidance of "put a LUT on it and wow the footage looks good!". His Youtube channel doesn't have much yet (he actually is coming back from a break and will be posting more) but his blog has a lot of his older material, like how he reverse-engineered the grade from Midnight in Paris. Check it out!
  • Learn Color Grading is a solid channel for learning the basics (mostly for DaVinci Resolve). It's good for learning the software, as well as some quick grading techniques for specific popular looks.
  • MiesnerMedia is another solid color grading channel based around Davinci Resolve. He breaks down color grades from popular videos/movies and offers his own way of recreating them. I don't like every look he comes up with but you could still learn a lot from playing with these looks and trying to understand how/why he came up with them.
  • Observations on film art is a fantastic site for essays on film. Run by Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell (who have literally written quite a few books/textbooks on film study), these reads are long but offer educated and interesting perspectives of film as art.
(Adopt a user Program. Please reply to Anton Sugar rather than weemadarthur, who knows nothing about film. :) )

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread got made. Been looking to get into some camera hobby work, but I don't have a camera!

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Would highly recommend Robert Rodriguez's book, Rebel Without a Crew if you want to get into making movies and need inspiration.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
Nice, i'll be a regular here i want to introduce myself by presenting this

https://vimeo.com/242814179

I little ad i made for a local restaurant which will be running for a month in a local movie chain, premiering with Justice League next friday, it will play before every movie.

Produced in two weeks, shot at the location in two days with a D750 for most of the shots and an a6000 for the food tray shots.

I'm Nobel and i'm from a state in south Mexico, full time photographer and videographer, tell me what you think.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that you're a passionate filmmaker, and there's some good work done in the OP...

So feel free to come share that in the topic that's already been created:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/video-filmmaking-era-ot-lights-camera-era.1350/

Happy to have you around!

Aww crap, what the heck? I even did a search beforehand for "video" in titles, across all forums, and your thread didn't come up across the first three pages of results :-\ Wonder if there's a bug or something...Regardless, I'll talk to the mods and get this thread closed. Thanks!!! Glad a thread already exists.

EDIT: Ah, seems like the search results default to sorting thread results by thread creation date, not latest post. Found it on the last page :P

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Aww crap, what the heck? I even did a search beforehand for "video" in titles, across all forums, and your thread didn't come up across the first three pages of results :-\ Wonder if there's a bug or something...Regardless, I'll talk to the mods and get this thread closed. Thanks!!! Glad a thread already exists.

EDIT: Ah, seems like the search results default to sorting thread results by thread creation date, not latest post. Found it on the last page :P

Don't sweat it, the search feature is kind of a pain and redundancies happen all the time.

You should definitely talk to the OP of the thread and get some of your stuff incorporated into it.

Durger

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Read this book. It's a little challenging if you're perhaps younger but a great practice, not a long read and priceless knowledge on the fundamentals of applying art to film. Also, go to your local second hand book store that sells vintage books. You will find the most interesting reads and obscure university textbooks on your favorite directors, cinematographers etc.
Marina_Willer_bookshelf_SculptingInTime_INT_4.jpg

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I did wedding photos for my 2nd time and they also asked me to put together a little video. I'm having a lot of fun in Premiere... haven't dont video editing in awhile. Makes me want to do some creative stuff... Warp stabilizer is realllly cool if you have a shot that is just a tiny bit shaky, it hides it really well.

is there a better thread on this subject to contribute to?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted on another thread but maybe somebody can answer it here-

So I'm going to start school early next year and I need a laptop. Something that can play games and video editing would be nice but you can't always get everything. If I had the money I would buy a MacBook Pro, but might have to wait on that for now.

Do you guys recommend any cheaper alternatives for video editing laptops?

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I posted on another thread but maybe somebody can answer it here-

So I'm going to start school early next year and I need a laptop. Something that can play games and video editing would be nice but you can't always get everything. If I had the money I would buy a MacBook Pro, but might have to wait on that for now.

Do you guys recommend any cheaper alternatives for video editing laptops?

Well I think as a student you might want to look into Mac's discounts for getting a MacBook as well as the suite of editing software including Compressor, Final Cut, Motion, and Pro Tools.

The good thing with those programs is that it's a one-time payment and you have access to them as well as all new updates. You may still find that you want to get Photoshop or other programs in the Adobe suite, though those will be subscription-based. Creative Cloud there will run $20/month for students for the first year. There are of course some other programs you can find online that are either shareware or cheaper alternatives, but if video editing is something you're looking into as a career, it wouldn't hurt to invest in the industry standard and practice with it.

If you're looking at PCs there's some pretty much most gaming rigs can handle video editing with little problem. This HP Pavillion isn't too bad, though unfortunately it's not on sale for the $300+ discount it was a couple days ago that I saw. You could also look at this CyberPowerPC Desktop that's currently on-sale today with $430 off. Of course this is all assuming that you'd be cool rocking Desktops as opposed to a laptop.

Just some thoughts for ya.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the reply and if I could I would definitely go with a desktop because you get more bang for your money but in my situation something portable would be better. I'm going to be living in a dorm situation and a laptop would be more mobile even though it limits my options, I've looked at some and it seems most go for $1000+ but around that price a Macbook Pro seems like a better option, but I suppose i'm looking for something that can get the job done and in the future upgrade to something better.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I appreciate the reply and if I could I would definitely go with a desktop because you get more bang for your money but in my situation something portable would be better. I'm going to be living in a dorm situation and a laptop would be more mobile even though it limits my options, I've looked at some and it seems most go for $1000+ but around that price a Macbook Pro seems like a better option, but I suppose i'm looking for something that can get the job done and in the future upgrade to something better.

Yeah the best thing you're going to get that will be good for a few years, MacBook or otherwise, is going to run you around $1,500. Again though, what you should absolutely do is investigate whatever student discounts you can get from certain retailers. Apple I know for sure should have some deals if you go to a store with a current student ID. Worth investigating.

Nov 11, 2017
I have worked in features for nearly 15 years now in the vfx industry. If anyone needs post advice I am happy to help!

Some good advice in this thread, I picked up that Tarkovsky book.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody recommend any really good DSLR gimbals ? Amazon has them all in mixed reviews, maybe you guys have a better take

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I can only talk about the ones I''ve used which are Ronin M and Zhiyun Crane 2.

The Ronin is great if you have the time to set it up, carry it around with you, too big and a hassle to set up, I sold it after a month of use and got the crane 2, not as good, can be a little jerky but it's so practical to operate and carry around it makes up for it, the battery lasts forever and once you know it's limitations you can do great things with it.

I think Ronin S is regarded as the best all around portable gimbal, if I didn't have the Crane already I'd get that if money wasn't a problem.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only talk about the ones I''ve used which are Ronin M and Zhiyun Crane 2.

The Ronin is great if you have the time to set it up, carry it around with you, too big and a hassle to set up, I sold it after a month of use and got the crane 2, not as good, can be a little jerky but it's so practical to operate and carry around it makes up for it, the battery lasts forever and once you know it's limitations you can do great things with it.

I think Ronin S is regarded as the best all around portable gimbal, if I didn't have the Crane already I'd get that if money wasn't a problem.
It's so hard to choose one in regard to those under 1k

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering for those that shoot commercials for local businesses how they advertise or get the word out to their community and how you work out how you charge for filming, editing, effects etc.

Any thoughts and insights into this would be very helpful!

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you guys ever asked a musician if they would let you use their song for a video? I have a short film for college

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
I was wondering for those that shoot commercials for local businesses how they advertise or get the word out to their community and how you work out how you charge for filming, editing, effects etc.

Any thoughts and insights into this would be very helpful!
Networking and social media, if you know someone who knows someone go for it, have a nice demo reel and speech ready at all times and be active on social media.

It takes time but it has worked for me, never work for free. Contact local advertising agencies and offer special packages for monthly work. What i do here in Mexico is offer a fixed monthly fee to universities, sports organizations and big companies and produce content for them all year long. I make a little less per photo shoot or video but i have my income assured for the year, i still get new, once or twice a year clients of course

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Sooo, we are finalist in the Internet & Social Media Video category at #labmecrazy Science Film Festival.
https://www.unav.edu/en/web/labmecrazy/screenings

With this very short (2mins) mildly disturbing not-really-a-documentary: Twins Undivided - The Two-Headed Calf.

You can also vote
for us
if you want , you don't need to register or anything.
VOTE HERE

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I'm applying to a film program for a California college but I need to send a film portfolio, what would be the best tips for that ?

Do I put in a couple of clips, do I put some random song in the background ? Does it have to be copyright free ?

thanks

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'm applying to a film program for a California college but I need to send a film portfolio, what would be the best tips for that ?

Do I put in a couple of clips, do I put some random song in the background ? Does it have to be copyright free ?

thanks

What kind of work do you have? Is it all scripted film, or a lot of demo stuff of nice cinematography?

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Like a short film that I did for a community college class and some fan made music videos.

In that case maybe a series of clips of some of your best scenes with no music behind it (except for the music video of course) Best I can recommend is look up some reels or portfolios of people who have been accepted to your school, if you just google "School Name Film Application/Reel" you usually find some people who have uploaded theirs online.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In that case maybe a series of clips of some of your best scenes with no music behind it (except for the music video of course) Best I can recommend is look up some reels or portfolios of people who have been accepted to your school, if you just google "School Name Film Application/Reel" you usually find some people who have uploaded theirs online.
Thank you for the advice as I'm still trying to figure where I want to go as the portfolio is for California State University of Northridge, I had read that it's a good school to learn about film.