• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Like clockwork after every Halloween, it's time for the annual "fired for wearing blackface" wave.

CNN said:
A video posted on social media shows the teacher with his face painted black and dressed up in an apparent attempt to imitate the rapper Common.
"Opportunities limitless, possibilities senseless, what will you do? Millions of people, not enough to eat, what will we do? With AI, Microsoft technology, the future is up to you, you can do it. With AI. The future will blow your mind," the teacher says in the video.

Milpitas High School Principal Francis Rojas and MUSD Superintendent Cheryl Jordan said in a statement that the teacher, who has not been named, was suspended and now is under investigation for the "disparaging" act.

"In a school community where we welcome learners and families from over 50 languages who represent cultures and religions throughout the world, and where our long-standing neighborhood, Sunnyhills, was established as the first city in the nation for planned integration, it hurts to know that this type of cultural insensitivity and lack of cultural awareness still hovers in the background," reads the statement.

Prepare yourself:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How can you be this dumb, and also a teacher?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
How do people still do this... Fucking stupid racist imbeciles.

In the year of our Lord 2019 I can only assume they're doing it on purpose.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
vl4eqakfrpr21.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
In class and not at some dumb party.

I really can't imagine the isolated lives some people lead, especially if that guy's a teacher and has all sorts of families coming through over the years.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I wish I could redo my school years with today's technology - because there's some wildly racist shit from teachers I experienced that I would have loved to capture on film.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Defending blackface; a history of egregious infractions
Eh. Poor judgment, but I don't think he meant any harm.

Oct 28, 2017
Why does this keep happening? There have been quite a few cautionary tales very recently that were well publicized. How far do you have to have your head buried to even consider this a good idea?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm sure most don't mean any harm - but in 2019, how can someone be this ignorant on the subject? Like, even if one doesn't have a problem with it, how can they not have heard what the consequences are for doing it?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I will never let that shit go.

They know what they're doing. Every. Single. Time.

Why does this keep happening? There have been quite a few cautionary tales very recently that were well publicized. How far do you have to have your head buried to even consider this a good idea?

"Those people that did it then, they're racist, I'll admit it. But I'm a good person, I'm a teacher! My kids love me! So when I do it, it's not racist".

It's racist.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dude went in, Common doesn't act like that. Common doesn't act well but he doesn't act like that

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was initially confused on how someone could be a Common fan and do Blackface but this dork's only source of reference is a Microsoft commercial, so it makes sense.
Yes, he didn't mean any harm when he was jivespeaking while impersonating a rapper who doesn't jivespeak. This impersonation was already racist without the Blackface.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Okay... this is just... I mean who... what... why the fuck would anyone ever think this would be a good idea?

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I got about five seconds in before I cringed so hard I had to close the tab. I don't know what possesses some people to think these are good ideas.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I hate those commercials as much as anyone else, but man this isn't cool.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He went through several steps before arriving at this point.

Thinking of the idea
Probably talking to others about it
Buying the materials
Applying the materials
Going into his classroom

At no point did he think this could possibly be an awful idea. What a moron.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
What an idiot. He had to have known at this point.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Thinking of the idea
Buying the materials
Applying the materials
Going into his classroom

I'm just trying to imagine a co-worker showing up to the office and nobody at the very least warning him he's about to lose his job, let alone explaining why what he's doing is terrible.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Thinking of the idea
Buying the materials
Applying the materials
Going into his classroom

You know he was getting ready this morning thinking about "I am about to reach these kids"

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

Damn. I wanted to sarcastically say that someone was going to trot out the old "we don't know what's in his heart" bit and you show up and drop it in the thread fast as hell.

If you're racist because it's how you were raised, or racist because you don't know better, or racist because you never met any black people to tell you what is ok and what is not, or racist because you hate black people, or racist ironically, you are still racist.