• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
First game I have which got FSR. Tried it briefly, nowhere close to "native" even at UQ and pure trash below Q but miles better than the game's own render scaler.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
First game I have which got FSR. Tried it briefly, nowhere close to "native" even at UQ and pure trash below Q but miles better than the game's own render scaler.
FSR Ultra Quality seems pretty comparable to Native and to DLSS Quality to me, both in Necromunda and Avengers (both in IQ and performance).
DLSS Quality has still a bit of an edge, but not that abyss people thing it has.

For sure FSR Ultra Quality is miles better than DLSS 1.0 and to me it also looks and performs better than regular TAA.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
FSR Ultra Quality seems pretty comparable to Native and to DLSS Quality to me, both in Necromunda and Avengers (both in IQ and performance).
I'm talking about REV specifically but it's not in either of these two as well. DLSS Quality is a lot closer to native that FSR UQ.

DLSS Quality has still a bit of an edge, but not that abyss people thing it has.
It has enough of "an edge" to be better than UQ at UP sometimes and that's huge.

For sure FSR Ultra Quality is miles better than DLSS 1.0 and to me it also looks and performs better than regular TAA.
DLSS 1.0 is dead and buried. FSR can't look better than regular TAA because TAA is running alongside FSR. You're confusing FSR with sharpening which is a part of FSR and does often improve TAA output.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'm talking about REV specifically but it's not in either of these two as well. DLSS Quality is a lot closer to native that FSR UQ.

It has enough of "an edge" to be better than UQ at UP sometimes and that's huge.

DLSS 1.0 is dead and buried. FSR can't look better than regular TAA because TAA is running alongside FSR. You're confusing FSR with sharpening which is a part of FSR and does often improve TAA output.
The following is a good in-depth analysis from both a performance and IQ point of view which also mirrors my final thoughts about it:

FSR Ultra Quality @ 4K is a valid alternative to DLSS Quality, and I really can't wait it to land on consoles where it's currently desperately needed for RT games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The following is a good in-depth analysis
Nope, it's off the mark at several points: DLSS does fine in low resolutions (hence why it's better in lower quality presets which they state), particles is a bug of TAA and not DLSS (can be checked by turning TAA off in native), DLSS is considerably better than FSR in motion due to having much more temporal stability in reconstruction.
Basically avoid listening to anything HUB says on DLSS/FSR and RT these days. They've spent so much time promoting the idea that both are bad that it will take them some time to find a way out of their confirmation bias.

and I really can't wait it to land on consoles where it's currently desperately needed for RT games.
All console games with RT are using some form of reconstruction already. FSR won't bring anything of value to them.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The following is a good in-depth analysis from both a performance and IQ point of view which also mirrors my final thoughts about it:

FSR Ultra Quality @ 4K is a valid alternative to DLSS Quality, and I really can't wait it to land on consoles where it's currently desperately needed for RT games.

Are there any ray-traced games on console that don't already use reconstruction?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Anyone have thoughts on how this could help Steam Deck? Rendering a game at 600p and then FSRing it to 800p but keeping High Settings and 60fps?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on how this could help Steam Deck? Rendering a game at 600p and then FSRing it to 800p but keeping High Settings and 60fps?
At such low resolution it's better to render natively. I've tried some weeks ago FSR on lower resolutions(On a 768p panel) and results weren't good. SteamDeck 7-inch screen might hide some of its flaws though.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

Don't bother engaging that guy about Hardware Unboxed. He's got something against them or someting, so your discussions with him aren't going to be in good faith.

FSR still has a ways to go and improve, especially compared to DLSS 2.0. I'd love to see AMD blend this technique with a temporal solution for FSR 2.0 or something. But it's a good first step and the video's look pretty good to me. I'm curious to try some more stuff out.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Don't bother engaging that guy about Hardware Unboxed. He's got something against them or someting, so your discussions with him aren't going to be in good faith.

FSR still has a ways to go and improve, especially compared to DLSS 2.0. I'd love to see AMD blend this technique with a temporal solution for FSR 2.0 or something. But it's a good first step and the video's look pretty good to me. I'm curious to try some more stuff out.

To be fair HUB is blatantly biased toward AMD.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Trusting Hardware Unboxed about AMD news is the perfect way to fall into the AMD hype cycle.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have something against people who constantly spread blatant FUD about h/w things.

FSR still has a ways to go and improve, especially compared to DLSS 2.0. I'd love to see AMD blend this technique with a temporal solution for FSR 2.0 or something.
They will most certainly do so making themselves 1.0 obsolete in the process.
FSR 1.0 is a great substitution for a resolution scaler / slider and I'd argue that all games which have such functionality should look into upgrading it to FSR.
Beyond that however any reconstruction technique would be better in almost everything in IQ with a possible exception of performance overhead.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I used Necromunda Hired Gun to create a comparison of DLSS, FSR, and TAAU + CAS (didn't seem fair to me to not sharpen when DLSS and FSR do their own sharpening). As far as I know, this is the only title where we can compare all 3 (and it requires digging in the config files, for the record).

The below 4k shots are normalized around framerate (within a couple fps of each other, ballpark 90 fps on my machine).

DLSS Performance
Necromunda_DLSS_Performance.png

FSR Balanced
Necromunda_FSR_Balanced.png

TAAU 56% res scale + CAS 30% intensity (reshade)
Necromunda_TAAU__CAS_30_intensity_reshade.png

I was stupid and forgot to take a native screenshot of this scene, so apologies for that.

Honestly, the only plus I can give FSR is that the artifacts when an object is temporarily occluded aren't as noticeable as TAAU (though the ghosting of the TAA is still very noticeable in those situations, so either way it'll draw the eye). DLSS does a pretty good job of minimizing those artifacts, though they do of course still exist. I hands down prefer the TAAU result compared to FSR, and am very much in camp "why bother" when it comes to FSR getting adoption.

Last edited:

nmkd

May 23, 2020
I used Necromunda Hired Gun to create a comparison of DLSS, FSR, and TAAU + CAS (didn't seem fair to me to not sharpen when DLSS and FSR do their own sharpening). As far as I know, this is the only title where we can compare all 3 (and it requires digging in the config files, for the record).

The below 4k shots are normalized around framerate (within a couple fps of each other, ballpark 90 fps on my machine).

DLSS Performance
Necromunda_DLSS_Performance.png

FSR Balanced
Necromunda_FSR_Balanced.png

TAAU 56% res scale + CAS 30% intensity (reshade)
Necromunda_TAAU__CAS_30_intensity_reshade.png

I was stupid and forgot to take a native screenshot of this scene, so apologies for that.

Honestly, the only plus I can give FSR is that the artifacts when an object is temporarily occluded aren't as noticeable as TAAU (though the ghosting of the TAA is still very noticeable in those situations, so either way it'll draw the eye). DLSS does a pretty good job of minimizing those artifacts, though they do of course still exist. I hands down prefer the TAAU result compared to FSR, and am very much in camp "why bother" when it comes to FSR getting adoption.

DLSS easily wins for me here, it doesn't look oversharpened or aliased and manages to reconstruct some lines that are missing with FSR and TAAU.

aNcIQYb.png

To be fair, this is not much of a deal at 4K. I'd prefer DLSS over the others any day, but for people without RTX cards the alternatives aren't bad either, unless the target is 1440p or below.

Oct 28, 2017
DLSS easily wins for me here, it doesn't look oversharpened or aliased and manages to reconstruct some lines that are missing with FSR and TAAU.

aNcIQYb.png

To be fair, this is not much of a deal at 4K. I'd prefer DLSS over the others any day, but for people without RTX cards the alternatives aren't bad either, unless the target is 1440p or below.

The diagonal line not being resolved as expected is a deal breaker. Reminds me of AMD MLAA applied at driver level or a stacks of AA applied with reshade as a post process without tweaking the values.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Bothered me that I forgot the native resolution screenshot, so I prepared another set of comparison shots on Necromunda. Same conditions as before.

Note: it is known that the TAA in this game effectively erases a lot of the smaller particles. DLSS preserves them much better.

Kinda seems like this game has the same LOD Bias problem that some other games have with DLSS. Particularly noticeable on the skull in the center of the frame.

Native
Necromunda-Native-2.png

DLSS Performance
Necromunda-DLSS-Performance-2.png

TAAU 56% + CAS 30% Intensity (Reshade)
Necromunda-TAAU-56CAS-30-IntensityV2-2.png

FSR Balanced
Necromunda-FSR-Balanced-2.png

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Fortunately, LOD bias oversights are easily fixed via Nvidia Profile Inspector, so you don't have to wait around hoping for a patch or driver profile update.

The fact it's still happening makes me wonder how stressed the issue is in the DLSS documentation and whether Nvidia shouldn't update it to really bop devs over the head with the fact that enabling DLSS ought to trigger a corresponding change in the LOD bias value so that it lines up with the reconstructed resolution.

Last edited:

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Fortunately, LOD bias oversights are easily fixed via Nvidia Profile Inspector, so you don't have to wait around hoping for a patch or driver profile update.

The fact it's still happening makes me wonder how stressed the issue is in the DLSS documentation and whether Nvidia shouldn't update it to really bop devs over the head with the fact that enabling DLSS ought to trigger a corresponding change in the LOD bias value so that it lines up with the reconstructed resolution.
Yeah, does make like for like comparison shots tricky though if I have to reboot to fix it. Also, the problem exists for TAAU as well. I honestly assumed UE4 would handle it correctly.

VideoCardz: "AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FP32 fallback tested, native FP16 is 7% faster"
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Last edited:
TechPowerUp: "AMD FidelityFX FSR Source Code Released & Updates Posted, Uses Lanczos under the Hood"
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
My apologies for the post being late and for the triple post, but I thought this is very interesting.
www.techpowerup.com

AMD FidelityFX FSR Source Code Released & Updates Posted, Uses Lanczos under the Hood

AMD today in a blog post announced several updates to the FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology, its performance enhancement rivaling NVIDIA DLSS, which lets gamers dial up performance with minimal loss to image quality. To begin with, the company released the source code of the...

VideoCardz: "Myst for Xbox to feature AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution at launch"
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
videocardz.com

Myst for Xbox to feature AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution at launch - VideoCardz.com

Xbox Myst with AMD FSR support A month and a half after confirming AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution support for XBOX Game Development Kit, we finally have the first game supporting this technology on this generation of consoles. AMD FSR is a single-frame spatial image-enhancing technology that...

Wow, that slider with FFX on just makes the game look a lot worse with lost texture detail

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
videocardz.com

Myst for Xbox to feature AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution at launch - VideoCardz.com

Xbox Myst with AMD FSR support A month and a half after confirming AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution support for XBOX Game Development Kit, we finally have the first game supporting this technology on this generation of consoles. AMD FSR is a single-frame spatial image-enhancing technology that...

Thanks to FSR, Myst can run in 4K at a smooth 60fps on Xbox Series X with the highest graphics setting across the board, and at 1440p at 60fps on Xbox Series S

This'll be neat to look at more closely on the 26th. Admittedly, the example with the slider isn't the best "pitch" for it, but I also want to see this on my own screen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
videocardz.com

Call of Duty Vanguard to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) - VideoCardz.com

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution in COD: Vanguard? The Beta of Call of Duty Vanguard, the latest installment in the series, is now available to people who preordered the game. This weekend COD: V will have an open beta for every person willing to test the new game. Currently, it is only now...

Sigh.
Between this and Deathloop FSR is doing exactly what I was afraid of - pushing DLSS out of PC games in favor of a much worse upscaling technique.

videocardz.com

Call of Duty Vanguard to support AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) - VideoCardz.com

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution in COD: Vanguard? The Beta of Call of Duty Vanguard, the latest installment in the series, is now available to people who preordered the game. This weekend COD: V will have an open beta for every person willing to test the new game. Currently, it is only now...

Sigh.
Between this and Deathloop FSR is doing exactly what I was afraid of - pushing DLSS out of PC games in favor of a much worse upscaling technique.
Do these titles have amd sponsorships?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Do these titles have amd sponsorships?
Not that I'm aware of.
And this is the main concern here - developers themselves will opt for a worse but wider supported tech, especially if it's easier to implement.
As a result FSR just makes upscaling landscape on PC worse in general.
I sure hope that FSR 2.0 is coming soon and it will be on par with DLSS.
XeSS also can't come soon enough.

Jul 7, 2021
videocardz.com

Sigh.

This sucks.

Why can't dev support both?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Am I right in thinking FSR is worse than simply dropping the resolution slider down? Slightly blurrier but without artifacts and noise seems like the better deal to me?

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Am I right in thinking FSR is worse than simply dropping the resolution slider down? Slightly blurrier but without artifacts and noise seems like the better deal to me?
Maybe if nvidia made the whole thing open source we'd see more implementations of it, but they gotta be dicks about it. XeSS is the only other viable solution because of this.
Not that I'm aware of.
And this is the main concern here - developers themselves will opt for a worse but wider supported tech, especially if it's easier to implement.
As a result FSR just makes upscaling landscape on PC worse in general.
I sure hope that FSR 2.0 is coming soon and it will be on par with DLSS.
XeSS also can't come soon enough.
This is entirely nvidia's fault though, they could have opened sourced it and fucking bungled it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Both would be best. But considering that, what, ~17% of people on Steam own a DLSS-compatible GPU, I'd rather devs focused on what the majority of people can use.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
This sucks.

They can.
It's a business decision whether they want to or not.
FSR takes worst-case a few hours to integrate and works on all GPUs, both PCs and consoles.
DLSS requires a lot more work and maintenance throughout development, is a lot more invasive in the game render pipeline and only works on probably ~20% the userbase on PC only (pre-Turing GPUs are still very common).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere:

Anyone know if Kepler-based Quadro cards are compatible with FSR? For the purposes of things like RTX Voice (which require "GeForce or better" Nvidia cards), the Quadro K420 is compatible, but I'm a bit doubtful about that extending to FSR.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks.

Because they don't have unlimited budgets and will have to choose one option.
Although this sounds very funny for a COD game I have to say.

Anyone know if Kepler-based Quadro cards are compatible with FSR?
All cards which can run modern games (DX11) are compatible with FSR 1.0.

This is entirely nvidia's fault though, they could have opened sourced it and fucking bungled it.
And what would that accomplish if the only h/w capable of taking advantage of DLSS would still be Nvidia's GPUs?
XeSS will be an interesting test case precisely for that reason - if the DP4A version will be fast enough then it will be a valid option for DLSS as well.
But do note that XeSS XMX won't be "open sourced" and won't run on anything but Intel GPUs. For what are likely the same reasons because of which DLSS isn't "open sourced" - there are no APIs which can make that work.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
videocardz.com

Sigh.
Oh dear god, i hope they don't remove DLSS out of Vanguard because of FSR, DLSS in COD is a great help to hit 144fps.

Jul 7, 2021
They can.
It's a business decision whether they want to or not.
FSR takes worst-case a few hours to integrate and works on all GPUs, both PCs and consoles.
DLSS requires a lot more work and maintenance throughout development, is a lot more invasive in the game render pipeline and only works on probably ~20% the userbase on PC only (pre-Turing GPUs are still very common).

But depending on the game, that 20% (equivalent to probably around 40-50 million PC's) is a significant chunk of your PC audience, isn't it?

I mean the games that tend to most benefit from things like DLSS tend to be the most demanding and tend to be looked at by people with higher-end hardware, no?

And also as I understand it, yes DLSS is more time and therefore money to implement than FSR, BUT most of the work is done simply by implementing some type of TAA and the work involved isn't much more on top of that. And MOST games support some type of TAA already.

I don't think the difference is huge between FSR and DLSS in terms of cost to implement. There's a difference,f or sure, but given that most of the work is already being done when implementing TAA I don't think the difference is that large in reality.

Would love to hear form an actual engineer implementing this stuff.

I think the main thing that will need to happen is to have DLSS built into as many popular game engines as possible and hope larger devs with proprietary game engines do the work at some point and just have their games leverage that going forward.