• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Deserved. The writing was the best it's ever been (still a ways to go). The anthem and Red Dead live performances were phenomenal, and seeing a marginalized person being given a legitimacy with his award was great to see.

Going forward, I'd love for Geoff to adopt a co-host and do more to support intersectionality in gaming.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Congrats to Geoff. The show is alright. I wish less time was spent on announcements - especially announcements with zero gameplay - and more time was spent on awards and award speeches. Maybe next year.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Geoff, one of the hardest working in the interactive entertainment industry! Always wondered what you do all year long, but it's quite evident this is a year long production year after year to make sure everything works out smooth

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am really so glad.
I don''t follow Geoff that much but in all his interviews at the time of E3 he genuinely comes out as a nice guy with some hard questions for the people. So glad things are picking up and Gaming has their OSCARS now.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Damn congrats, Geoff!

Probably means next year's show will be even more massive. Hopefully this approaches full E3 2.0 status in time in terms of announcements.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Awesome. Proves live events/conferences are still strong as ever.

FeArTriX

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to Geoff ,the show was amazing.

But we shouldn't forget that Ninja made video games cool now /s

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I own all three and RDR and GOW are far more ambitious, better written, better directed, and overall more impressive.

But yea, it's just like my opinion, man.
Saying it would be tragic isn't the same as preferring them. You're dismissing gameplay in favor graphics or story and vague concepts such as ambition. It's perfectly ok if you prefer that kind of game but being condescending like that because "simple indie" is a bad look IMO

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Excellent growth in an era where the traditional awards show audience is contracting. I would not be surprised to see the Oscars start doing trailers in the few years if they continue to slide in viewership.

That being said, I think the goal should always be to honor the nominees, not to cater solely to the "where duh revealz?!" crowd with a three-hour show of fancy commercials for upcoming products punctuated by slightly-less-fancy commercials for already-released products. We have E3 for that. I think the goal should always be driving towards a place where people are talking about God of War winning GOTY over Red Dead instead of "WOW THEY DIDN'T SHOW METROID 4."

Some of the "Geoff stands to the side of the stage and quickly reads bulleted lists" segments already feel like they going too far into the commercial realm to me.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying it would be tragic isn't the same as preferring them. You're dismissing gameplay in favor graphics or story and vague concepts such as ambition. It's perfectly ok if you prefer that kind of game but being condescending like that because "simple indie" is a bad look IMO
I'm not though. I think those games have better gameplay as well. I'm not trying to be condescending. In comparison to those games...it is simple. I simply think those games do more to push the medium further than Celeste, so I would have been slightly upset if Celeste won.

"Bad look" doesn't mean anything to me. These are just my feels, sorry to offend.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Hopefully more devs get on board to reveal their games here. We used to have TLoU and MGSV revealed here and this year was on that level. Its pretty much the biggest gaming event bar E3 (and maybe PSX) now.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not though. I think those games have better gameplay as well. I'm not trying to be condescending. In comparison to those games...it is simple. I simply think those games do more to push the medium further than Celeste, so I would have been slightly upset if Celeste won.

"Bad look" doesn't mean anything to me. These are just my feels, sorry to offend.
You're not offending anyone. You're the one saying that if your feels hadn't aligned with the result it would have been tragic and made you upset.
But this is going off topic so let's just leave it at that.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not offending anyone. You're the one saying that if your feels hadn't aligned with the result it would have been tragic and made you upset.
But this is going off topic so let's just leave it at that.
Tragic was a exaggeration and used figuratively. Similar to how you used "Real justice" I hope.

But yea, let this die lol

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Congrats! It was a great event. Hopefully the show continues to highlight things like the Global Gaming Citizen segments and Girls Make Games. Those deserve the platform.
The Metroid rumors helped!
Barely. Mortal Kombat was rumoured too, it's notably bigger than Metroid. Also Crash Team Racing was rumoured. Are people just salty it was a no-show, since they keep bringing Metroid up? Next Far Cry was confirmed to appear too. Dragon Age was hinted and new Anthem trailer confirmed. I doubt Metroid was any notable driving force behind the views.

Edit: I'll echo few others that I wouldn't mind if the show was bit more Euro friendly. I feel like I'm still recovering from that night. Or like the Variety article and Tygre suggested, mix up the location too.

Last edited:

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
Congratulations Geoff and the rest of your crew. The show continues to get better and better each year. But please, please, please, please stop giving people a platform that don't deserve it anymore (Boogie as an example).
I would like to see WingsofRedemption or Darksydephil get a mention on it. These two have been creating content for years, probably longer than Boogie

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent growth in an era where the traditional awards show audience is contracting. I would not be surprised to see the Oscars start doing trailers in the few years if they continue to slide in viewership.
I don't know why Disney insists on wasting their big Star Wars/Marvel trailers on Monday Night Football and Good Morning America.

Put those during the Oscars and people might actually watch.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Excellent. I didn't like the show as much as last year, but it's still deserved.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Next Year:

1. Lower the run time
2. Cut the ads
3. Have 3-4 big reveals, than a dozen boring indie games/CGI trailers
4. Give winners more time to talk
5. More content like the Lifetime Achievement Award video, the global gaming video, celebrate old franchises, game anniversaries and things like that instead of CGI trailer to reveal new costume pack for a 3 year old game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For Next Year:
reposters---get-out_o_405779.gif

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
man and i was worried that viewership could actually be lower than last year because it took so lon till they revealed the numbers. congrats to geoff, this probably means the TGAs will return next year right? i hope this also proves to publishers that it's totally viable to show off your big guns at the TGAs, last years reveals and announcement felt bigger.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For Next Year:

1. Lower the run time
2. Cut the ads
4. Give winners more time to talk
5. More content like the Lifetime Achievement Award video, the global gaming video, celebrate old franchises, game anniversaries and things like that instead of CGI trailer to reveal new costume pack for a 3 year old game.
I'd say this is about as much as you can expect when it comes to big reveals outside of E3 or something like TGS. New Crash Racing game, Mortal Kombat 11, New Far Cry, MUA3, Outer Worlds, Dragon Age 4, Psychonauts 2, Smash Bros DLC, and new trailers and DLC for other games. That's while completely ignoring the indie presence and that's a ton of reveals.

And cutting Ads ain't happening lol. That's how events like this can happen in the first place.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A 5 min trailer of a sock puppet endlessly rowing a boat to somber music is just plain boring.
idDaHIO.png

On the contrary, this game has catapulted to my watchlist.

I'm hugely grateful that the VGA focus on a lot of indie titles to give them exposure and promotion they otherwise would never receive. It's good for small-scale creators, platform holders, and players of all walks of life.

I'm eager to give titles like The Last Campfire a try.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible show.

Props to Geoff for the passion and cant wait for The Game Awards 2019.

Hopefully we start seeing some next gen games next year ;)

Congrats, Geoff.