• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
The Indian flag is a gorgeous thing. Surely they would have thought of all possible danger scenarios. Come on guys.

Bullet train = cutting lots of trees.

There aren't a lot of trees from Pune to Mumbai. And you can elevate a train like a hyperloop also. This is just a terrible idea. Can we please stop with this loop thing?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah those hyperloop designs always weird me out. What happens if they break down or something goes wrong - how do they get you out of there?

It's an oil pipeline for people. Even those have emergency access hatches.

Seriously though, the BART runs in a tube under the SF Bay and no one worries about that getting breached.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why are people trying to compare this to a subway tunnel? Looking at where the car would sit, it looks like maybe a foot around it to the walls of the tube. I still don't see how you get out of the car.

Last edited:

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
One is on display in Kansas City right now -- KC to StL is being considered for a domestic route.

ptwyjyxo8ng31.jpg

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah it's much more dangerous than the current public transport in India

maxresdefault.jpg

Weren't people clamoring for this shit in California when Elon Musk wanted to build one? Now it's actually getting done somewhere and it "doesn't serve a function"?
Is this a photoshop? There's some weird pink thing towards the front of the train, on the roof lol.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Virgin + Elon Musk + Indian build quality???

I hope somebody use the remains to film The Running Man 2.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Is this a photoshop? There's some weird pink thing towards the front of the train, on the roof lol.

It's not, but these are free service trains to run on special occasion and goes very slow.

But if you want to read about Indian train running over festival people, there are a few news.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's not, but these are free service trains to run on special occasion and goes very slow.

But if you want to read about Indian train running over festival people, there are a few news.
Oh no, I know the rest of the photo is real.

It's just that pink thing that looks super out-of-place. Like it's was put there as some form of a "Where's Waldo?" game.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
They will likely put an escape hatch on the pod itself and also escape hatches along the tube in regular periodic increments.
Sure, but you'd want the hatch(es) in the tube to be open before you open those in the pod tho.

If you do the pod first without first letting air into the tube, you'd open it into a vacuum. You'd be dead within a minute.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Why are people trying to compare this to a subway tunnel? Looking at where the car would sit, it looks like maybe there are a few inches to maybe a foot around it to the walls of the tube. I still don't see how you get out of the car.
You mean it is a bit like the London underground.
Why_London_Underground_is_nicknamed_The_Tube.jpg

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's much more dangerous than the current public transport in India

maxresdefault.jpg

Weren't people clamoring for this shit in California when Elon Musk wanted to build one? Now it's actually getting done somewhere and it "doesn't serve a function"?
Those things move super slowly, btw. In a hyperloop you are sending people in a closed tube at super high speeds. Instead of wasting money on that, maybe, I dunno, built more actual trains and bus lines?

On the plus side, though, if things go wrong in a Hyperloop, you're probably gonna die really quickly, so that's nice.

Oct 2, 2018
How often do u read about Japan's bullettrains going off? Strange how the first x number of posts are about deaths etc. I'd be excited to check this out if I'm ever in town and it's live. Asian countries and India seems to be the future.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How often do u read about Japan's bullettrains going off? Strange how the first x number of posts are about deaths etc. I'd be excited to check this out if I'm ever in town and it's live. Asian countries and India seems to be the future.
Wut? Japan's bullet train is on a completely open air rail system. It's not in a tight vacuum sealed tube. People largely aren't afraid of the train itself - they're afraid of getting stuck in a tube.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Wut? Japan's bullet train is on a completely open air rail system. It's not in a tight vacuum sealed tube. People largely aren't afraid of the train itself - they're afraid of getting stuck in a tube.
Is already bee stated that the can change the pressure in the tube.....why do you keep bring that up? This tech is being worked on all across the world by many different people I'm going to guess they're trying to make it as safe as possible.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is already bee stated that the can change the pressure in the tube.....why do you keep bring that up?
I'm not trying to state that the vacuum is the issue. More the tube's close proximity to the train. Japan's bullet train is a completely open system. It's in no way comparable to this.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Life's dangerous and we all have to die at some point,

That's certainly the Indian way of thinking.

Best place to test this thing really. People die, accidents happen and no one sues anyone and there are no payouts except the government handing out a measly sum. India does not have much of an infrastructure for emergency/rescue services either. If something goes wrong inside one of those pipe like tunnels it's over.

Virgin + Elon Musk + Indian build quality???

I hope somebody use the remains to film The Running Man 2.

lol, yeah.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Is the London underground train in an enclosed vacuum tube that goes hundreds of miles while enclosed? There is still no comparison to these hyperloop systems.
I would assume that if you need to evacuate the tube can be repressurized. Then it is more or less the same to evacuate.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That's certainly the Indian way of thinking.

Best place to test this thing really. People die, accidents happen and no one sues anyone and there are no payouts except the government handing out a measly sum. India does not have much of an infrastructure for emergency/rescue services either. If something goes wrong inside one of those pipe like tunnels it's over.
lol This is another thing people aren't factoring in. India is a nation with zero safety standards, and that almost goes out of its way to be as unsafe on everything as possible.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm not trying to state that the vacuum is the issue. More the tube's close proximity to the train. Japan's bullet train is a completely open system. It's in no way comparable to this.
The tubes proximity to the pod is the least of the issues. Exits would be at the front or back.

The vacuum firstly means it'd be impossible to breathe unless there was a breach in the tubes. Secondly, the velocity at which they travel and by design number of pods due to low volume of passengers in a single pod design mean escaping with other pods in motion would be impossible.

Given how they actually operate, unless there is a failure in the magnet system, pods would glide easily to the next point of exit. Oxygen system failures or mag lev failures are the catastrophic issues, getting out is the least of ones concerns.

brandywine

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised this gets any traction at all. Municipal governments can be unbelievably stupid.

anamika

May 18, 2018
lol This is another thing people aren't factoring in. India is a nation with zero safety standards, and that almost goes out of its way to be as unsafe on everything as possible.

I remember going out on the river in this boat and all the flotation devices and lifebuoy rings were like stuck to the sides in rust and not removable and just there as decoration and if that boat sank...well.

I shouldn't be surprised this gets any traction at all. Municipal governments can be unbelievably stupid.

Eh? This is the state government of Maharashtra who are setting this up. Pune to Mumbai is also a route that sees a huge movement of people considering Bombay is the financial capital of India. People will be flocking to try this out.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh thank god. I've done that trip a fair amount this year and anything is better than that drive over from Mumbai to Pune and back. That trip is literally Toad's Highway in Mario Kart, traffic and all.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
How did they fix the thermal expansion issues? The top of the tube will expand more, due to the sun, than the bottom of the tube. How do you maintain a vacuum in a 35 kilometer long tube, while still allowing for people to egress at any point along the way? How do you repressurize a 35 km long tube in a way that doesn't a: take forever, and b: doesn't damage the train? How do you prevent people from taking potshots at the tube? How is this better than traditional trains?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
How is this better than traditional trains?
It's faster than a plane. Hyperloop has a theoretical max speed of around 800mph. Obviously it's a huge infrastructure rollout, however, the convenience of a train coupled with the speed of travel that exceeds air cannot be understated. If it is actually successful it could revolutionize interstate or intercity travel, one could live a 10 hour drive from their job and it would be a standard commute.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's faster than a plane. Hyperloop has a theoretical max speed of around 800mph. Obviously it's a huge infrastructure rollout, however, the convenience of a train coupled with the speed of travel that exceeds air cannot be understated. If it is actually successful it could revolutionize interstate travel.

mmm, theoretical maximums are nice, but what's the actual top speed?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bad news is that it is a death trap.

The good news is that following an accident you can just open a plug in that thing and lots of free soylent green paste will come out.

Oct 28, 2017

Great article. Investing in proven technology like high-speed rail seems a lot more efficient than trying to solve infrastructure problems by inventing some macguffin

There's a section about this in their FAQ, but it doesn't really answer anything

How is hyperloop different from high-speed trains?
There are four key differences. It's faster, as in two to three times faster than the fastest high-speed rail. It's on-demand and direct. Trains follow a schedule and typically have multiple stops. Hyperloop leaves when you're ready to go, and pods can depart up to several times per minute and can transport passengers and cargo direct to their destination with no stops along the way. It's environmentally friendly, with a smaller environmental impact, more efficient energy consumption and no direct emissions or noise. It's less expensive and different technology: High-speed rail and traditional maglev trains require power along the entire track. As a result, the track costs more to build and more to operate. Virgin Hyperloop One achieves better performance for less cost.

Like how is this supposed to work? There's a reason trains have a schedule. Unless there is an infinite number of pods they need to move between destinations in equal number anyway.
And even then the concept only works on a track between just two stops, so the applicability is pretty limited.