• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why Gura decided to join Hololive. Seems like she could have been a hugely successful indie VTuber if she focused on it.
Maybe but it wouldn't have been a guarantee like Hololive is. The top independent English speaking Vtubers probably don't make anywhere near as much as she is making now and they've been at it for years and had to buy all the equipment themselves and find artists/riggers and pay them, figure out issues without much support, etc. Gura definitely seemed to have already done some of that beforehand though but still. We also don't know her circumstances, if she requires structure that Cover Corp can provide her, doesn't have business know how, and so on. Its almost certain that she probably wasn't making much money from her previous channel despite the view counts.

Its also hard to figure out what its like now post HololiveEN launch since its brought so much attention to the medium, indy EN vtubers might have more success now. Artemis who didn't make the cut seems to have successfully launched on Youtube and is doing solid numbers but still only a fraction of Hololive. I think she'll definitely grow to be one of the biggest indy Vtubers if she doesn't end up getting picked up for 2nd gen Hololive (which if they were smart, they would do). Only issue in that case would be having 2 sharks lol.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder why Gura decided to join Hololive. Seems like she could have been a hugely successful indie VTuber if she focused on it.
She tried it already in her old channel. Gain modest success but not really break out hit despite already have sizeable fanbase. She probably want to try to have fresh start in Hololive. Have company backing + her gen mate she make the situation bit easier. She herself definitely did not expect it being very successful though.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I think she'll definitely grow to be one of the biggest indy Vtubers if she doesn't end up getting picked up for 2nd gen Hololive (which if they were smart, they would do). Only issue in that case would be having 2 sharks lol.
Her competition will be even more rough now that Hololive EN is a proven success. The talent pool this time will be savage if it wasn't already.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Gr3Xjbv.png
"Wait...Youtube recommendations is all vtubers?"

Korone: "Always has been."

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think ppl join hololive for the money, which obvious is better than solo, but its definitely more of a passion and being part of the overall group thing. Resources help too (which im still a bit iffy on how much cover actually provides?).

At the same time there is a lot of restrictions and I can't imagine having 10s of thousands of ppl in chat being all that productive.

I've been enjoying indie stuff too these days. Just being able to chill in mocca's chat when they are playing old games and chat is just a different experience.

Meanwhile hololive folks pretty much are quit restricted in terms of games they can play and songs they can sing. Just a different vibe.

Can't hurt to have both.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile hololive folks pretty much are quit restricted in terms of games they can play and songs they can sing. Just a different vibe.

This is my biggest issue with the current state of Hololive, I'm really tired of the holos having to explain almost every stream that they have to get the right permissions before being able to play a game.

It seems crazy that just a few months ago Korosan was playing the Pepsiman and the Spiderman games of PS1...

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Given how Youtube is, it's probably a good thing to have permission written out in clear terms beforehand.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Given the state of DMCA and streaming platforms, guess it's better to be safe than sorry?
That being said...

LET CALLI PLAY PERSONA 3, ATLUS. FFS.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Given the state of DMCA and streaming platforms, guess it's better to be safe than sorry?
That being said...

LET CALLI PLAY PERSONA 3, ATLUS. FFS.

I remember Kiara saying a few weeks ago something along the lines of: "Please don't ask for Atlus games", so they must have tried already

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you are going to be able to monetize a Persona game Hololive or not

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Still, when a random pekora Minecraft stream can hit 60k peak and her papers please peaking at over 50k it's probably not hurting too badly.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Vtuber groups aren't like the idol music industry in Japan, is it?

You always hear horror stories about how girls are treated in that business.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is my biggest issue with the current state of Hololive, I'm really tired of the holos having to explain almost every stream that they have to get the right permissions before being able to play a game.

It seems crazy that just a few months ago Korosan was playing the Pepsiman and the Spiderman games of PS1...

Korone not being able to stream all the weird games she gravitates to just sucks.

Reminds me of Sasaki Saku retiring from her channel four months after her debut because Ichikara wouldn't (or couldn't) get Nintendo streaming permissions.

Once they did get it, they gave her the rare offers to reopen her channel and she accepts. She's currently the 4th most subbed Nijisanji member.

This clip is the only English translated clip I could find on the subject.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also korone is known to love playing old ass kusoges lol

I got legit worried for her when the permissions issue started, nowadays it must be practically impossible to contact with the copyright holders of a good ammount of the most infamous retro kusoges

Putting her enormous popularity growth aside (because she doesn't seem to really care about that), I think it has been a pretty hard year for her (COVID, her family issues, her birthday concert being cancelled, the antis attacking her, the sudden lack of permissions to play whatever she wanted...)

Thank god for Okayu being there for her

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is extremely strict with streaming rights for games and music even more so than the west so Japanese company-tied Vtubers will have a tough time with that sort of thing compared to western indie Vtubers.

People forget how restrictive Atlus was with Persona 5 just for complete random no name streamers in the west?

Actually Japan in general is so behind that kind of stuff when it comes to their music industry which is why it didn't gain anywhere near the popularity K-pop has in the west. Same with their Dramas, like almost nobody seems to have licensing rights for their shows in the west.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced if you called Atlus HQ, someone would answer with a rotary phone and take notes on a typewriter.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I know Atlus never actually enforced those P5 streaming restrictions, but that announcement did manage to scare off some streamers/LPers from playing it.

I was really looking forward to that Pat & Woolie LP.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does suck that they can't play whatever games they want to play and its beholden to whether or not the company gives them permission. Then again its better that they do get permission otherwise they'll run into a situation like a few months ago where they have to mass hide videos due to copyright

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
They were working on getting permissions right from the get go, Cover waited until it was literally too late.

Oh my god...what a blunder <facepalms> would this be still recoverable in the future?
That really sucks

Do you guys have any recommendations for Nijisanji streamer to really watch for? who is their highest subbed member?

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god...what a blunder <facepalms> would this be still recoverable in the future?
That really sucks

Do you guys have any recommendations for Nijisanji streamer to really watch for? who is their highest subbed member?

Tsukino mito

Also look for kaoru and kanae, the highest sub male vtubers.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That really sucks

Well, they managed to patch thing up with Nintendo and they got their permissions, so they just need to keep trying.

I still don't understand what the hell is going on with Capcom tho...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hana Macchia was playing Persona 4 just a few days ago. I guess Nijisanji got permission from Atlus?
She's been playing it for the last few months on and off but her description has warned people that she won't be able to do the ending or monetize it so they're definitely still on a leash.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, they managed to patch thing up with Nintendo and they got their permissions, so they just need to keep trying.

I read that they had a specific issue with Ghost Trick (any maybe other story based games like Ace Attorney) don't know if there's any truth to that.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017

Ugh Capcom. I would love to see Ina play Monster Hunter or Gura play RE and all the countless other games I'm sure the Holos would want to play.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It always amazes me that nijisanji can't break into the en market as well as hololive considering that they have some real top tier talents.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
They need more English translated clips? lol

I'm also checking some Nijisanji clips.. Guys and girls are playing together!
Why can't hololive play like this lol

Hololive doesn't actually have any restrictions as far as I'm aware against their girls streaming with guys, it does happen with some of the talents, they just kind of don't promote their guys very much at all, and to a lot of the girls it's not worth potentially alienating their crazy audience for very little benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.